PDA

View Full Version : How's the baseball team??

wsuwarrior
02-14-2004, 12:25 AM
Just wondering how the baseball team looks, because Winona State will be meeting them 3 times this year, the first of which coming on February 28th.

Any ideas on the team? How about the pre-season poll?

Bisonguy
02-14-2004, 06:30 PM
Don't know much, just last year's info. NDSU was sixth in the last regional poll, and I believe UMD was third or fourth if that helps any. Here's the link to last year's media guide- http://www.gobison.com/mens/baseball/mediaguide/

wsuwarrior
02-29-2004, 05:58 AM
http://www.winona.edu/athletics/baseball/results/02WSUNDS.HTM

Well, NDSU took the first game of the series, 3-2. March 19th and 20th are the other two games.

wsuwarrior
03-19-2004, 07:32 PM
Winona State evened up the series today, defeating the NDSU Bison, 11-4.

The rubber match in the series is tomorrow.

You'll be able to catch the third game of the series here:

http://www.winona.edu/itv/stream/kqal/liveaudio.mov

JBB
03-21-2004, 04:28 PM
NDSU defeats WSU 18-2 yesterday (Sat.) in Baseball.

Bison7925
03-22-2004, 02:40 PM
Where is wsuwarrior now ???

He made a big fuss when wsu won a game, now that they lost, he gets quiet.

JBB
03-22-2004, 03:51 PM
He is off dreaming of joing the legendary programs in the NCC, no wait, they all moved up to DI.

wsuwarrior
03-23-2004, 03:19 AM
I'm still here. And it was 16-8. I don't believe that was a big fuss.

Congrats, you took the series. No reason to be rude about it.

JBB
03-24-2004, 12:41 PM
its ok we were just teasing you a little.

somebison
03-27-2004, 04:37 AM
Not directly related to NDSU but I saw highlights of Northern Colorado (or NoCo as the announcer referred to them as) playing and beating Iowa 5-0 on the Des Moines local news. here is a look at UNC's schedule

http://uncbears.ocsn.com/sports/m-basebl/sched/ncol-m-basebl-sched.html

They have always been a good baseball school, and it looks like they are doing OK in DI.

somebison
03-30-2004, 04:02 AM
Bison take 3/4 over two days with Jacks

http://www.gobison.com/mens/baseball/

http://gobison.jumpinteractive.com/news/index.cgi?id=1084

Jeremiah Piepkorn has hit 16 home runs in 22 games *:o

JBB
03-30-2004, 12:55 PM
I was suprised to see that baseball is a major sport. In order to play DI-A baseball you have to move all your programs up. Has there been any good BB weather in Fargo yet?

BisonMav
03-30-2004, 01:00 PM
I would highly recommend the College World Series to any baseball fan out there. Even if it is in Omaha ;)

somebison
04-04-2004, 03:01 AM
Bison Sweep UNO, 2 more games at Newman tomorrow

http://gobison.jumpinteractive.com/news/index.cgi?id=1095

Bisonguy
04-04-2004, 04:30 AM
Hopefully the Lady Bison can move past this weekend, and win the NCC crown.

Great job by the men!

I have never seen UND's Kraft Field until FOX news tonight. There's a trailer park just past the fence. Guess it gives them something to aim for. ;D ;D ;D

somebison
04-05-2004, 03:07 AM
Bison complete 4-game sweep of UNO,

http://gobison.jumpinteractive.com/news/index.cgi?id=1101

Are now 7-1 in conference play.

JBB
04-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Jeremiah Piepkorn hit his 17th home run. I think he is setting a new home run mark with every shot. If he isnt he is very close. At 7-1 Im sure NDSU still leads the NCC. Neil Wagner is a soph more reliever that did a great job this weekend.

BisonMav
04-06-2004, 01:00 PM
More Press From the GF Herald

Bison have a horse in 'pen
By Wayne Nelson
Herald Staff Writer

North Dakota State sits atop the North Central Conference baseball standings.

Is that surprising, considering the Bison have only four senior starters and have been inconsistent for a good chunk of the season?

The answer is no.

NDSU's youth and inconsistent play have been offset by the performance of Bison reliever Neil Wagner, a sophomore who is a big reason for the team's 7-1 NCC record.

"We've got seven wins, and Neil has a decision in five of them," NDSU coach Mitch McLeod said. "He's throwing strikes. And he's throwing about 93 mph."

His velocity has caught the attention of pro scouts, including the one from the Los Angeles Dodgers who watched Wagner help the Bison take four games from Nebraska-Omaha over the weekend.

Overall, Wagner is 4-0 with an ERA of 0.48. In 182/3 innings, the 6-foot, 180-pounder from Eden Prairie, Minn., has 28 strikeouts.

NDSU's hitting also has come around lately.

The Bison are led by Chris Baso's .467 average. Jeremiah Piepkorn is at .402 but already established the school's single-season record for home runs. Through 26 games, the senior shortstop has 17 homers.

"The fact Jeremiah has hit 17 home runs is a surprise," McLeod said. "You never expect to have something like that."

The Bison have won seven in a row, staging late-inning rallies to win a couple of those games.

"We're able to rally because we have guys who can hit the ball out of the yard and who can run," McLeod said. "That's a nice combination to have.

"We're starting to come around. We have a lot of new guys, and they struggled early in the season because we faced real good pitchers. Now that they've seen continued good pitching, they've gotten better."

And the Bison know they have a solid reliever in Wagner to hold the lead with the game on the line.

NDSU will play a four-game series at second-place Minnesota State-Mankato on Friday and Saturday. The Mavericks, the perennial NCC power, are one game behind the Bison.

"It's early and things can change in a heartbeat," McLeod said. "And every team knows that. You could lose three out of four or teams could win three out of four and get right back into the race."

A tough schedule

NDSU will leave the North Central Conference at the end of the season. The Bison will play an NCAA Division I independent schedule next season.

McLeod said NDSU's 2005 schedule is just about set.

NDSU will play the following Division I schools next season Sacramento State, Sam Houston State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Creighton, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Northern Iowa, South Dakota State, Valparaiso, Oakland (Mich.) University and Western Illinois.

The Bison will have home-and-home dates with Creighton and Minnesota. NDSU will play at Minnesota on April 21 of this season as well.

NDSU also will play UND and additional Division II schools next season.

The fact that NDSU is headed for Division I hasn't hurt its recruiting, McLeod said.

"It's helped us," McLeod said. "So many kids want to play against these big schools."

McLeod said NDSU has signed two players for next season Matt Mossey, a shortstop from Coon Rapids, Minn., and Ryan Langlais of Apple Valley, Minn.

Bisonguy
04-06-2004, 09:16 PM
Where is the cynicism? Either Wayne Nelson is warming up to NDSU because UND is no longer a rival or peer, or they're trying to form a positive public opinion about DI. *::)

Oh well, just another chapter in

The Vast Bison Conspiracy!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bisonguy
04-07-2004, 04:44 AM
Piepkorn goes yard for the 18th time this season (keeps upping the Bison single season record) in a 14-0 and 17-0 rout lesson over UM-Crookston-

Bison Roll Up 31 Runs In Twinbill Sweep Of Minnesota-Crookston
(http://gobison.jumpinteractive.com/news/index.cgi?id=1107)

Todd_Wash
04-14-2004, 09:48 PM
Bison get swept by Sioux, Piepkorn goes 0 for 8.

JBB
04-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Who are they! Ive never heard of them!

airmail
04-14-2004, 11:37 PM
Is Piepkorn from Fargo?

Bisonguy
04-14-2004, 11:40 PM
Is Piepkorn from Fargo?

Sauk Rapids, MN
-http://www.gobison.com/mens/baseball/roster/details.cgi?id=1508

fight_on_sioux
04-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Who are they! *Ive never heard of them!

I know, pretty pathetic to be beaten by a DII team. ;)

Schemer
04-15-2004, 07:49 PM
....Interesting name, Mr. Wash

Nodakstud
04-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Wow...that NDSU baseball team is falling fast. Must have broke their hearts to have lost to UND. Instead of uniting and playing better, they lose to a a so-so Concordia team (that's Division 3:)).

It bugs me that your skipper can't ever just realize that his team was beat by a superior team on that day! He's always blaming his team for the losses. Just goes to show you the typical NDSU coach, cuz Amy Ruley does the same thing. (Interestingly enough...I wonder if the baseball team could use another switch hitter ;))

Bison_Dan
04-15-2004, 08:00 PM
You forgot to look at und coaches for hockey and womens BB - they have never been beaten, they just play poorly and that's why the other team won. Anything can happen on a one time shot, look at the und hockey team! ;D ;D ;D ;D

BisonMav
04-15-2004, 08:31 PM
(Interestingly enough...I wonder if the baseball team could use another switch hitter ;))
I don't think NDSU would want Gene Roebuck.

Sticks
04-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Sounds like they're aiming for more than the trailer park; the top of the conference maybe? :)

Sticks
04-15-2004, 10:48 PM
P.S. Your boy Piepkorn was 0-7

Nodakstud
04-16-2004, 02:26 AM
"I don't think NDSU would want Gene Roebuck."

NDSU could never get so lucky as to get a quality coach like Gene Roebuck!!! He at least gets some quality athletes that are fun to watch...instead of the hogs like Fricke!!! She probably came straight from the research barn!!! But Ruley loves her:D (literally :P :D)

BisonMav
04-16-2004, 02:31 AM
............NDSU could never get so lucky as to get a quality coach like Gene Roebuck!!! *He at least gets some quality athletes that are fun to watch.............

Are we talking on the basketball court or Roebucks video collection? He does have the stache. ;)

nickelboy
04-16-2004, 04:04 PM
I'm wondering why nobody on the fargo radio show mentioned the scores between the two schools? They didn't even talk about the game, just like it didn't happened. I know Jack M. is a big baseball fan. Just seemed odd that it was not even brought up. Who cares if UND swept them. That's just getting to be the norm right now. I guess they were busy getting airline tickets for BOHL to fly out to Williston to catch up with the BIG-TIME caravan. Giddy-Up.

BisonMav
04-16-2004, 04:14 PM
I'm wondering why nobody on the fargo radio show mentioned the scores between the two schools? *They didn't even talk about the game, just like it didn't happened. *I know Jack M. is a big baseball fan. *Just seemed odd that it was not even brought up. *Who cares if UND swept them. *That's just getting to be the norm right now. *I guess they were busy getting airline tickets for BOHL to fly out to Williston to catch up with the BIG-TIME caravan. *Giddy-Up. *
If NDSU has a big-time caravan with a big-time bus, does that mean UND gets the short-Bus caravan.

NDSU_grad
04-16-2004, 04:29 PM
I'm wondering why nobody on the fargo radio show mentioned the scores between the two schools? *They didn't even talk about the game, just like it didn't happened. *I know Jack M. is a big baseball fan. *Just seemed odd that it was not even brought up. *Who cares if UND swept them. *That's just getting to be the norm right now. *I guess they were busy getting airline tickets for BOHL to fly out to Williston to catch up with the BIG-TIME caravan. *Giddy-Up. *

Seriously, when has either the GF or Fargo community been fired up about Bison-sioux baseball? I don't think it's any huge surprise it doesn't get any mention in the press.

JBB
04-16-2004, 07:38 PM
Ive never heard of them and neither has the Fargo media. But yet they still keep trying to garner attention. Not having their scores mentioned is certainly something they need to get used to. Our scores will be rolling along the bottom of the screen. ;)

JBB
04-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Now heres a game that does matter. NDSU plays the Minnesota Gophers at 3 oclock today in Baseball in Mineapolis. Thats a team people have heard of.

Next season we start a home/home. Next years BB schedule looks good too with Creighton, Kansas, Minnesota and others.

fight_on_sioux
04-21-2004, 04:50 PM
Good luck today NDSU baseball. I'll give you guys credit for playing this game for your seniors who won't be able to play DI next year. I can appreciate that. ;)

JBB
04-21-2004, 05:03 PM
I agree, its also a nice opportunity extended to us by Minnesota.

Bisonguy
04-21-2004, 11:59 PM
Ouch!

17-2 Gophers over the Bison.

I'm blaming the loss on the FieldTurf. ;D

fight_on_sioux
04-22-2004, 06:16 AM
I expected a score like that but I'm sure that NDSU represented the NCC well. If you asked all the players if they wanted to go play the U of M again I have no doubt in my mind that they would all say yes.

PS: I think I'm going to make the trip down to Fargo next year to watch the Gophers take on SU at Newman. ;)

JBB
04-22-2004, 12:26 PM
NDSU is 0-11 against Gopher BB since 1948. Next season we take a couple of more shots at them. Im not sure we have ever beaten them at any sport?

Schemer
04-23-2004, 01:55 PM
I'm not sure on that one either....

On a somewhat related note....Does anyone remember this article in 'gobison.com'?

Nick Severson Named the NCC Wreslter of the Week

11/13/2001

Senior Bison heavyweight Nick Severson (Hayfield, MN) was named the North Central Conference Wrestler of the Week by the conference office.

Severson, wrestling unattached, captured the heavyweight title at the Bison Open. In the process of winning the tournament, Severson defeated NCAA Divsion II nationally-ranked Dustin Darveaux of St. Cloud State and then defeated Garrett Lowney of Minnesota in the championship match by a 3-2 score. Lowney is the #2-ranked heavyweight in NCAA Division I.

Severson has a 34-3 overall record at NDSU, 11-0 in duals and has 19 total pins. Severson was ranked first in the heavyweight divison in the Oct. 30, 2001 Top 20 poll released by the NCAA Divison II Wrestling Coaches Association.

Others nominated: Aaron Graumann, Augustana; Aaron Veskrna, South Dakota
State; Zach Stalder, Nebraska-Omaha; Jared Deaguero, Northern Colorado

JBB
04-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks Schemer. That was a huge win.

uncbear
04-24-2004, 03:27 PM
NDSU is 0-11 against Gopher BB since 1948. *Next season we take a couple of more shots at them. * Im not sure we have ever beaten them at any sport?

I would bet your track teams could beat theirs

somebison
05-07-2004, 12:17 AM
Baseball team beats Mankato 9-2 in first game of NCC tourney, Play Augie/UND winner tomorrow

somebison
05-07-2004, 03:06 AM
UND beats Augie, setting up a fifth Bison-Sioux baseball game. It is tough to be a team five times in a row....

Bisonguy
05-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Bison beat the Sioux 14-3, and are the only undefeated team in the double-elimination NCC tourney. The Bison are in the championship game on saturday. ;D

Bisonguy
05-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Congrats to the Bison men for winning the NCC tourney, with a 10-8 victory over Mankato!

BisonMav
05-08-2004, 11:19 PM
Congrats to the Bison men for winning the NCC tourney, with a 10-8 victory over Mankato!
I wonder if they will move up enough in the Regional Poll to keep playing?

DIBISON
05-09-2004, 03:45 AM
Another NCC Championship for the Bison. The NCC recognizes the tournament champion, not the regular season champion, as the NCC Champion for baseball. Too bad sue, another NCC championship for the Bison

fight_on_sioux
05-10-2004, 04:35 AM
Just announced on WDAZ that UND makes it in as the #4 seed. Winning the NCC tournament must not have meant that much?? I thought for sure SU would get in over UND. ???

Bisonguy
05-10-2004, 04:49 AM
NDSU would have stood a better chance if they would have split with UND during the regular season. UND's non-conf. performance was also quite a bit better than NDSU's.

BisonMav
05-10-2004, 01:40 PM
Congrats to the Bison baseball team, 2004 NCC Champs. There is no automatic bid to the playoffs for baseball for conference champs. They go by the Regional poll.

JBB
05-11-2004, 02:15 PM
I think NDSU pitching may have weakened down the stretch but the BISON recovered at seasons end to win it all. Congratulaitons!!

OCBison
05-27-2004, 07:13 PM
What I'm wondering is how the heck is the baseball team supposed to succeed at the DI level if they keep Mitch McLeod's hands tied behind his back?

They're making the move to DI and he's going to remain a part-time coach and they won't be hiring a full-time assistant? That sheer craziness!