PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Baseball schedule

roadwarrior
10-13-2004, 10:59 PM
Is it too early to look ahead to the spring??

The 2005 Bison Baseball team has 55 games scheduled with 49 of them against D-I opponents.

missingnumber7
11-12-2004, 11:20 PM
And 1 against that Hated team to the North.

Bisonfan01234
11-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Not going to lie, college baseball is no comparison to the Twins. I have little to no interest unless they make the college world series.

MinotBison
11-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Too bad. It's a terrific sport. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bisonfan01234
11-13-2004, 12:10 AM
The Twins play baseball and I watch them.

missingnumber7
11-13-2004, 05:14 PM
The Twins play baseball and I watch them.
Unless they are playing int he post season its a waste of my time...as opposed to watching the Bison beat the Sue.

Rodentia
11-29-2004, 09:55 PM
College baseball isn't major league baseball, but by that reasoning, college football isn't the NFL and college basketball isn't the NBA.

Bisonfan01234
11-29-2004, 10:59 PM
The reason college hockey and baseball are so far behind college football and basketball is that the former two sport's respective pro leagues offer money to high school players and draft them into the pros after high school.

Of the latter two, however, the NBA very rarely will draft a high school player and the NFL never has.

This, unfortunatly, means the only choice for talented players coming out of high school for football and basketball is college.

TheBisonator
11-29-2004, 11:23 PM
"Unfortunately"?? You mean that like it's a BAD thing that athletes play college football and basketball.

Bisonfan01234
11-30-2004, 01:47 AM
I think it's a horrible thing when a high school athlete has an oppertunity to take a big signing bonus and try and make it as a pro and doesn't simply because he went to college on some BS moral obligation.

If it doesn't work out, he has plenty of money to go to college when he/she is ready and won't have the distraction of trying to study while working or playing a sport.

dnk
11-30-2004, 06:44 AM
???So much for the 2005 Baseball Schedule Thread!!!.
Was a good thought though RW... :)

Rodentia
11-30-2004, 06:46 PM
Not many athletes get offered big signing bonuses right out of high school. A few do, but most do not. For those who go pro right out of high school, it doesn't even tend to get them to the big leagues any faster than they would have had they gone to college. It doesn't even tend to equate to more money. If they are good enough to go pro, they will tend to make at least as much money if they play college ball first.

Bisonfan01234
11-30-2004, 08:04 PM
Let's say a kid gets $25k signing bonus plus profits $5k a year in the minors. Say he plays 3 years in the minors before deciding to hang 'em up. Assuming he saved that money, we're talking around $40k, which is exactly the price of a decent college education. Now the former player can take his earnings and buy his college education outright. He won't have to work or play a sport which means he can take his time studying and choose a major that might have some real value when he's graduated.

On the other hand, another kid is offered $5 million out of high school to turn pro! However, instead of pocketing the $5 million, he fights off the "temptation to sell out" and enrolls at State U where he is an immediate impact player. He gets significant PT his fresh and soph years and becomes an all american his junior year. Again, the professional leagues are dying to get this kid. They're promising big money! But, again, the kid "fights" the urges to turn pro and is lauded as a "hero" because he decides to stay with his college team for his senior year. The experts are picking this kid for numerous post-season awards and a high 1st round pick in the draft. There is nothing but fame in fortune in his future. On the 2nd to last game in the regular season, the kid breaks his neck. The doctors are able to fix him but tell him that he'll never be able to play again. Unfortunately, the kid chose an easy major so that he would have extra time to study film and lift weights. He never did homework as he simply assumed that he would be drafted into superstardom after college like his coaches had been telling him. So now, after dropping out of college with no degree, the kid takes a bus to his job flipping burgers.

You're honestly telling me that the kid did the right thing by coming to college?

There is one purpose for coming to college and one purpose only: getting an education.

If you have the money, you can get an education any time you want. INCLUDING after a career as a professional athlete.

IowaBison
11-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Using your infinite wisdom Bison01234, name the last ten high school players that were offered $5 million bucks to play pro ball.

BisonCountry
11-30-2004, 08:46 PM
Let's say a kid gets $25k signing bonus plus profits $5k a year in the minors. Say he plays 3 years in the minors before deciding to hang 'em up. Assuming he saved that money, we're talking around $40k...

Could you please tell me where this kid lives that he doesn't have to pay taxes, pay rent, or pay for food? I think I want to live there.

Bisonfan01234
11-30-2004, 09:43 PM
If you could read you would've seen that I clearly said "he profits $5k/year. Obviously the team pays for most of his room/board during the year, so such a profitable year would definitely not be unheard of.

Joe Mauer from Mpls. got $5 million from the Twins! From the TWINS!!!

IE if baseball player from Minneapolis (no where near the baseball hot beds) got $5 million from the Twins ($5 million would be more than 10% of their payroll for a typical season), what would you expect for a top prospect from Florida being offered by the Yankees to be? They could afford to offer 20 prospects $5 million each and not bat an eye.

Not only that, but the last few NBA high schoolers have all made small fortunes.

So it's not even about signing bonuses.

IE what if Garnet, Bryant, etc. had gone to college and gotten a serious injury?! That would be hundreds of $million down the drain that they'd never be able to get back. And you think the college might compensate them in some way?? LOL!!!!! Never in a million years despite using those same players to make their own fortunes.

IowaBison
11-30-2004, 10:15 PM
???So much for the 2005 Baseball Schedule Thread!!!.
Was a good thought though RW... *:)

sorry dnk, i knew better than to encourage him

BisonCountry
11-30-2004, 10:16 PM
I can read just fine...I just don't see your logic. In a real world situation, I can't imagine a young minor league player signing for a small bonus (which would be taxed) and making such a small profit over a 3 year period being left with more than $10K to pay for college. Yes that would still be a good start, but I don't forsee them able to pay for their entire tuition as scenario claims.

Bisonfan01234
12-01-2004, 12:36 AM
You have no idea what profit means, do you?

BisonCountry
12-01-2004, 12:54 AM
You have no idea what profit means, do you?

You have no idea what real world means, do you?

Bisonfan01234
12-01-2004, 03:28 AM
I never said these situation happened, only that they were situations.

I'm not going to argue semantics.

BisonMav
12-01-2004, 04:09 AM
Keeping in line with baseball Joe Mauer is the first person that comes to mind. He was given a $5 Million contract to sign with the Twins out of High School. He also was a Florida St Recruit at QB, and could have played major college basketball.

Bisonfan01234
12-01-2004, 04:24 AM
Right.

So if he had gone to FSU for football and gotten injured, he'd not only be out $5 million (of which FSU would replace none), but he's be unable to earn a future living through any professional sport.

Such a shame. I'm glad he made the right decision!