PDA

View Full Version : Top Pitching Prospect

bison_baseball
02-14-2005, 09:57 PM
North Dakota State’s baseball team has begun preseason winter workouts ranked fourth out of 12 Division I independent baseball teams, and junior closer Neil Wagner is the top 2005 draft prospect among the independents, according to the Division I baseball preview published by Baseball America magazine.

I've played with Neil at SU and he has some of the greatest dedication for the sport that I've seen. As a senior, I still remember his first pitching experience. Here comes this skinny freshman, straight out of the bully in an absolute sprint from the bullpen. The other team was laughing as he ran full speed to the mound. The laughter quickly came to a hault and his first pitch in warm-ups could be heard across campus as it his Baso's mit. He throw's gas, 90-95 and it's a heavy fastball. It will be a pleasure to watch him grow this year and help put SU on the D1 baseball map!

tony
02-20-2005, 04:18 PM
Thanks, bison_baseball, it's great to get a little baseball information.

scottheck
02-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Looking forward to hearing more about him. I would agree with Pedro in the other thread that, as a reliever, he may not see much action if the first few games of the season are any indication. Does he have the stuff to be a starter and throw 5-6, or more, innings?

tony
02-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Well, I probably need to do a better job on things because Neil Wagner is a junior so you should have heard of him now.

He's a top prospect for professional baseball, not NDSU's team (he's beyond being a prospect for NDSU now :) )

Anyway, here's a gobison.com story that talks about the team and Wagner:

gobison.com press release (http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=12103&SPID=706&DB_OEM_ID=24 00&ATCLID=106742)

bison_baseball
02-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Endurance is one thing that has hurt him, he tends to get pretty wild once he starts to fatigue. Plus he has the mentality of a short relief/closer, not a starter. He's all about blowing it past guys and not playing the mental game like a starter does. Sure, he has great stuff; 92-94 mph fastball with a good slider and developing his change. The coache's think he'll be hitting high 90's by mid to end of the season....let's just hope the boys can keep it close and get him in the game. They got a pretty good taste of DI baseball this weekend.....

greenandgold01
02-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Endurance is one thing that has hurt him, he tends to get pretty wild once he starts to fatigue. Plus he has the mentality of a short relief/closer, not a starter. He's all about blowing it past guys and not playing the mental game like a starter does. Sure, he has great stuff; 92-94 mph fastball with a good slider and developing his change. The coache's think he'll be hitting high 90's by mid to end of the season....let's just hope the boys can keep it close and get him in the game. They got a pretty good taste of DI baseball this weekend.....

Is Air Force fairly competitive in baseball? Obviously UVSU is a mid major type program.

What would happen if the Bison took on a Pac 10, Big West, ACC, or SEC team?

bison_baseball
02-21-2005, 09:10 PM
Honestly...we'd get smoked. The big test for this program will be the U, their a great DI program and if they boys don't come out to play.....it will be a long day for'em.

greenandgold01
02-21-2005, 09:25 PM
I think our guys are going to be overloaded until Valley City on march 31.

Sac state, Kansas, Kansas state, Mizzou, and Creighton will all be tough tests.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
02-21-2005, 10:30 PM
The thing with the big boys is that you will be playing them on Tues. and Wed. This is when they play their young guys or their older 7-8 pitchers just to get them work. This will give the bison a chance at beating some of these teams. Mankato gives the Gophs a good game and usually wins one every year. It will be a good learning year and will get the guys some good experience against good programs (Neb. and Min.)

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
02-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Looking at the schedule I wonder how the hell they expect these guys to pass a single class. Every game is on the road and in continuous Thurs-Tues stretches.

scottheck
02-22-2005, 12:17 AM
Any idea who is in the Sac State tourney?

Pedro
03-14-2005, 03:15 AM
Start him on tuesday (if he isn't hurt) get three out of him and extend later. Need to do something different or the wheels are going to fall off before we play a home game.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Sounds like Wagner lost it this year? This true? The guy on the radio was saying 3rd round draft pick in June, but that is very hard to believe.

Pedro
04-06-2005, 12:36 AM
If he is to be a third rounder, a cross checker would need to be in to see him. Anyone seen two scouts together at a Bison game? (appearing to be from the same club)

Works 86-87 topped 89/ flat plane guy, inconsistent release point and was missing a swing and miss pitch
26th round if at all is my call. He needs to stay in school.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Yeah I was thinking high 20's MAYBE? Righties that throw low 90's with minimum control are a dime a dozen.

ballboy
04-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Yeah, he's dropped way off, but with all the pressure he's been under this past year...who wouldn't. Plus, with a little run support and defense, heck Powe could probably get a W..... ;D