PDA

View Full Version : Baseball team needs a win!

tony
03-19-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm wearing a rally cap all day, dang it.

somebison
03-19-2005, 09:37 PM
You can say that again- you can listen to the baseball games here

http://mutigers.collegesports.com/multimedia/miss-multimedia.html

Bison_Kent
03-20-2005, 03:24 AM
I went to a game last week in the Little Apple (Manhattan, Kansas), the home of Kansas State. *NDSU made several mistakes but lost 11-5 in the game. *Here are a few photos I took. *

http://community.webshots.com/album/299444517DjLpqt

Bisonguy
03-20-2005, 03:32 AM
I went to a game last week in the Little Apple (Manhattan, Kansas), the home of Kansas State. *NDSU made several mistakes but lost 11-5 in the game. *Here are a few photos I took. *

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=299444517

Cannot view pictures- says I'm not the owner of the album. * :-/

Bison_Kent
03-20-2005, 04:09 AM
Try this:

Bisonguy
03-20-2005, 04:13 AM
Try this:

Much better. Their stadium doesn't look as nice as Newman.

Bison_Kent
03-20-2005, 10:12 AM
The stadium is smaller. I am guessing there were 50-75 fans at the game. K State must not draw well for baseball. Of course, the game was on a Tuesday afternoon too.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-31-2005, 05:44 PM
How's the weather today? Will they be playing?

BisonCountry
03-31-2005, 05:51 PM
How's the weather today? *Will they be playing?

I would think so. High 40's - Low 50's. W 10 -15. Clear.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-31-2005, 10:38 PM
Any updates on the game?

BisonCountry
03-31-2005, 10:50 PM
Top of 3rd

Bison up 7-1

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-31-2005, 10:51 PM
where did you find it, I looked on gobison?

BisonCountry
03-31-2005, 10:53 PM
ThunderRadio...

There is a link on gobison under the baseball schedule if you want to listen to it online.

Bisonguy
03-31-2005, 10:55 PM
105.9 FM in the Fargo area, or : http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/webradio/ has a link to listen live

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
03-31-2005, 10:58 PM
Oh, thanks I was just trying to find a link for the stats, I have my Wilco playing right now on my computer, can't interrupt that :)

somebison
04-01-2005, 12:26 AM
Apparently there is a difference between Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, K-State etc and Valley City State,

NDSU leads the Vikings 16-1 through 8 with 24 hits

D
04-01-2005, 04:12 AM
Apparently there is a difference between Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, K-State etc and Valley City State,

NDSU leads the Vikings 16-1 through 8 with 24 hits

Looking at the boxscore, they gave the win to Neil Wagner. It was a 9 inning game and he pitched 4 innnings. I am confused on how he would get the win, shouldn't it be the reliever who pitched immediately following him? I have never seen or heard of this before. Any explanations, just curious if there is a baseball rule that I actually don't know.

RxBison
04-01-2005, 04:54 AM
Found this in the NCAA rule book:

By prearrangement, if three or more pitchers are to be used, the
pitcher of record shall be considered the winning pitcher.

Since Wagner used to be a closer, I bet he was only scheduled to pitch 4 innings. Plus the Bison only play one game in more than a week's time, so under those circumstances I think it's common that a few pitchers all get some work in.

RxBison
04-01-2005, 04:55 AM
It also says that the pitcher of record is the one who is in when the team goes ahead, so that would be Wagner since the Bison were way up in the first inning.

Hager780
04-01-2005, 05:45 AM
a win is a WIN!

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-01-2005, 03:31 PM
I thought the starter had to go 4+ in order to get the win though? Or is it just 4? RxBison did it have a definition for "pitcher of record"?

Gamehunter
04-01-2005, 08:12 PM
So now we get to play the sow next? To bad I wont be around for that game...

RxBison
04-01-2005, 10:44 PM
It also says that the pitcher of record is the one who is in when the team goes ahead, so that would be Wagner since the Bison were way up in the first inning.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Were did you find that because I know there is a minimum, I thought 4+, a starter has to go to get the win. Maybe it's just 4.

somebison
04-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Were did you find that because I know there is a minimum, I thought 4+, a starter has to go to get the win. *Maybe it's just 4.

I beleive it is 5 innings in MLB, don't know about NCAA

ballboy
04-02-2005, 12:18 AM
Who cares who got the win? What was Wagner doing starting against an 2-8 NAIA team anyway? I'll tell you why.. they want to bring his record up to reflect MAYBE he's pro material. He goes 4 and then in comes the freshman Bushland who is said to be Montgomery's pick of the litter. You've got juniors and seniors with great records from last years Conference winning team sitting on the bench while the freshmen from Fergus Falls get to start almost each and every game. Wonder where Doc Mcleod is from? Half the team can't hit past the Mendoza Line so why not leave them in when you're up by 14 runs? Pad the stats a bit. Build up their confidence at the expense of a 2-8 team and at the expense of the juniors and senior's who get to sit and watch. You damn right I'm bitter. If Wagner is so good let's see him start against UND next week. Not a chance. They'll throw a freshmen instead. They don't want to make Wagner look like a freshmen against Sukut..... UND wins by 10!!.... and no I'm not a troll from up north. Just a parent who would like to see his kid play once in awhile. Has Powe had a hit yet this year?

ballboy

RxBison
04-02-2005, 04:33 AM
Were did you find that because I know there is a minimum, I thought 4+, a starter has to go to get the win. *Maybe it's just 4.

the NCAA rulebook is on line. Take a look at this link and go to the stats or scoring section about wins and losses somewhere toward the back.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2005/2005_baseball_rules.pdf

RxBison
04-02-2005, 04:45 AM
Who cares who got the win? What was Wagner doing starting against an 2-8 NAIA team anyway? I'll tell you why.. they want to bring his record up to reflect MAYBE he's pro material. He goes 4 and then in comes the freshman Bushland who is said to be Montgomery's pick of the litter. You've got juniors and seniors with great records from last years Conference winning team sitting on the bench while the freshmen from Fergus Falls get to start almost each and every game. Wonder where Doc Mcleod is from? Half the team can't hit past the Mendoza Line so why not leave them in when you're up by 14 runs? Pad the stats a bit. Build up their confidence at the expense of a 2-8 team and at the expense of the juniors and senior's who get to sit and watch. You damn right I'm bitter. If Wagner is so good let's see him start against UND next week. Not a chance. They'll throw a freshmen instead. They don't want to make Wagner look like a freshmen against Sukut..... UND wins by 10!!.... and no I'm not a troll from up north. Just a parent who would like to see his kid play once in awhile. Has Powe had a hit yet this year?

ballboy

you've got your facts all screwed up, and you make yourself sound like the parent of an upperclassman pitcher. Guess what, the pitching staff outside of Wagner and Bushland pretty much have nothing going for them. Didn't the rest of the staff walk about 20 guys one game? Until somebody stands out and makes the most of their playing time, McLeod probably will not change it up much.

by the way, there aren't any freshmen from Fergus Falls starting every game, and GoBison says McLeod is from DL not Fergus.

I think I heard him say on the radio that the Wagner kid will start again against UND. Unlike you ballboy most of us have moved beyond the NCC and I think he will blow it past the Sioux for another four innings.

ballboy
04-02-2005, 02:14 PM
You're right.. the F.F. kids are not freshmen and McLeod is from D.L. my bad. But, Wagner's ERA was and still is one of the highest on the team, so lets hand him the ball against a 2-8 NAIA team. Either way they've got their 1st. win, and who more deserving than Wagner to get it. Oh, and I realize we've moved beyond the NCC.....
can you say Cornhuskers?

JBB
04-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Congratulaitons for the BB team. Great win. Good crowd!! Heres some information from gobison.com:

"The crowd of 442 for the home opener was the fifth biggest draw for North Dakota State since the Bison moved into Newman Outdoor Field in 1997.

North Dakota State is scheduled to host North Dakota on Tuesday, April 5, at Newman Outdoor Field.* Game time is scheduled for 4 p.m.

UND has been the opponent for NDSU's top three draws in stadium history.* It will be the first meeting of the two*former*North Central Conference rivals*since the Bison won an NCC*semifinal playoff game from the Sioux a year ago."

UND92
04-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Congratulaitons for the BB team. Great win. Good crowd!! Heres some information from gobison.com:

"The crowd of 442 for the home opener was the fifth biggest draw for North Dakota State since the Bison moved into Newman Outdoor Field in 1997.

North Dakota State is scheduled to host North Dakota on Tuesday, April 5, at Newman Outdoor Field. Game time is scheduled for 4 p.m.

UND has been the opponent for NDSU's top three draws in stadium history. It will be the first meeting of the two former North Central Conference rivals since the Bison won an NCC semifinal playoff game from the Sioux a year ago."

It's good you mentioned the playoff win the bison had over the sioux last year, instead of the FOUR losses the bison had to the SIOUX last year. Hey, 1-4 is not bad for you guys though. I know you won the conf. tourney and UND won the conf. but why not mention all the games we played against each other last year. Did you know that UND beat a D-I team in baseball this year before the bison did? Just some facts to chew on. Should be a good game on tuesday. I'm hoping wagner can only throw 3 or 4 innings tops, damn he's good. What do you fans expect out of him on tuesday? And is he starting for sure?

ballboy
04-04-2005, 01:54 AM
Wagner and his 11.72 ERA will probably get the start.... against Wisconsin-Superior on Wednesday. More than likely they will go with Mossey the shortstop on Tuesday like they did at Kansas State. The pitching staff really liked that "coaching" decision. Powe could get the call if he's not the DH. Should be a great game.

Bison_Dan
04-04-2005, 01:28 PM
It's good you mentioned the playoff win the bison had over the sioux last year, instead of the FOUR losses the bison had to the SIOUX last year. *Hey, 1-4 is not bad for you guys though. *I know you won the conf. tourney and UND won the conf. but why not mention all the games we played against each other last year. * Did you know that UND beat a D-I team in baseball this year before the bison did? *Just some facts to chew on. *Should be a good game on tuesday. *I'm hoping wagner can only throw 3 or 4 innings tops, damn he's good. *What do you fans expect out of him on tuesday? *And is he starting for sure?

I guess since sue sports are so good I can't help but wonder why they don't move up to DI? It's a mystery!

JBB
04-04-2005, 04:26 PM
They are in a DII market and cant really afford the programs they have now.

IowaBison
04-04-2005, 04:45 PM
They are in a DII market and cant really afford the programs they have now.

sure they can, Kupchella's magic pen can eliminate (ie waive) any financial burden!!

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
04-04-2005, 09:25 PM
So here is the ruling with our answers in bold. They do not have a definition for "pitcher of record" but that must be whoever is in when the team takes the lead.

Winning and Losing Pitchers
SECTION 25. a. For all games of eight or more innings, a starting pitcher
must pitch at least five complete innings to receive credit as the winning
pitcher. For all games of fewer than eight innings, the starting pitcher
must pitch at least four innings to get credit for the win. Additionally,
the winning pitcher’s team must be in the lead when he is replaced and
must remain in the lead for the rest of the game.
b. If the starting pitcher does not pitch enough innings, the win is credited
to a relief pitcher in the following manner:
(1) The winning relief pitcher shall be the one who is the pitcher of
record when his team goes ahead and remains ahead throughout the
remainder of the game. No pitcher may receive credit for a victory if
the opposing team ties the score or goes ahead after he has left the
game.
Note: Whenever the score is tied, the game becomes a new contest insofar as the
winning and losing pitchers are concerned.
Exception—If a relief pitcher conforms to the above regulations but
pitches briefly and ineffectively, the scorer should not credit him with a
win. If a succeeding relief pitcher pitches effectively and helps maintain the
lead, the scorer should award the win to that succeeding pitcher.
(2) By prearrangement, if three or more pitchers are to be used, the
pitcher of record shall be considered the winning pitcher.

ballboy
04-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Good game guys... keep them sticks going. Mossey 4 for 4-- 5 RBI's. Have a game eh? Good to see the pitching staff get a workout too. Keep it going boys!!!