PDA

View Full Version : Jackrabbit Baseball gets first D-I Victory

89rabbit
03-07-2005, 04:28 AM
http://www.gojacks.com

Jacks Defeat Butler In Baseball

EVANSVILLE, IN - South Dakota State earned its first baseball victory as an NCAA Division I member Sunday, beating Butler 8-5 at Braun Stadium.

SDSU is now 1-4 for the season, and will face Southeast Missouri Monday. Butler fell to 0-3.

Three Jackrabbit pitchers held Butler to four hits and SDSU scored six runs in the final three innings after falling behind 3-1.

Tyson Bothof, in his first start for the Jacks, scattered three hits over seven innings, then Dalton Decker and Tigh Surdez each pitched an inning to finish it. *

Greg Geary had three hits to lead SDSU’s 13-hit attack.

SDSU took a 1-0 lead in the first inning when Geary doubled and scored on a single by Pat Farrell.

After Butler scored single runs in the second, third and fourth, the Jacks got one run back in the fifth when Nick Adams singled, went to second when Kyle Sytsma walked, and scored on a single by Chris Iverson.

The Jacks took the lead with a pair of runs in the sixth. Sytsma walked, Iverson reached on a fielder’s choice when Sytsma was safe on a error, and the runs scored on an infield groundout by Tim Hanigan and a sacrifice fly by Tony Lane.

SDSU then added three runs in the eighth, two scoring on a single by Geary and the other on a single by Iverson.

An RBI single by Adams in the ninth drove in SDSU’s final run.

Hanigan, Farrell, Iverson and Adams had two hits each.

South Dakota State 8, Butler 5 *
South Dakota State 100 010 231 - 8 13 3
Butler 011 100 002 - 5-4-1
Tyson Bothof, Dalton Decker (8 ), Tigh Surdez (9) and Kyle Sytsma. Bryan Bokowy, Jason Combs (7), Jay Kelty (9) and Joe Dempsey. WP-Bothof (1-0), LP-Combs (0-1). HR - BU Dustin Bucalo.

Go Jackrabbits! *;D

P.S. the Women's softball team also picked up their first D-I win this weekend as they beat Boston University at the Buzz Classic hosted by Georgia Tech.

Pedro
03-07-2005, 06:43 AM
Even a blind bunny will find a carrot every now and then.

89rabbit
03-07-2005, 01:46 PM
We only need 8 more wins to cover your over/under prediction of wins and we have 53 games left to do it. *I am feeling pretty good right now. * ;) ;D

Go State! *;D

P.S. maybe Butler needs to drop their Baseball program. ::)

http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=misc;action=display;num=1107563160

Pedro
03-07-2005, 06:49 PM
I'll stand by the 8.5

One in the next five, One from Valpo, One from Rockhurst, 2 from NDSU (will lose five to NDSU) Utah Valley 1, Southwest State 1.

equals 8-45, you will get some rain outs

89rabbit
03-11-2005, 03:50 AM
Here is number 2, 7 to go. *;D

SDSU breaks out bats in 21-11 victory

BALDWIN CITY, Kan. -- After being held to a combined three runs in its last two games, the South Dakota State University baseball team's bats came alive Thursday as the Jackrabbits defeated Baker University 21-11.

The Jackrabbits hit five home runs on the day, including a grand slam by first baseman Greg Geary.

SDSU, now 2-6 on the season, opens a four-game series at Nebraska on Friday afternoon. First pitch in the Cornhuskers' home opener is set for 2 p.m. at Haymarket Park in Lincoln.

Go State! *;D

Pedro
03-11-2005, 05:19 AM
Your right on schedule for your eight. Every one of your victorys should be celebrated.

Be sure to post on this site the scores against Nebraska. They wont hold back like KU did. They scored 50 against Chicago state one year.

Four games, over under on runs allowed is 42.5
What is your pick?

Be a real rabbit and choose.

89rabbit
03-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Pedro,

Why so negative and bitter? This is college sports, it is supposed to be fun. Nebraska is the best team we have faced this season. Last I checked they are ranked #22 in the nation. Chances are they are going to pound us. I know you will be anxiously awaiting the scores and will be gleeful if the Jacks get killed. If they do they do, one thing is for sure it beats the heck out of another trip to St. Cloud.

Pedro, enjoy the series. The Jacks have nothing to lose. If they kill us all four games, they are supposed to. If we play them close or beat them in any of the games it would be a wonderful thing for a team that just moved to D-I and has a brand new coaching staff.

Go State! ;D

Pedro
03-11-2005, 03:52 PM
So are you picking the over?

somebison
03-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Nice win over NAIA Baker

Pedro
03-11-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm not bitter, your annoying. To post a victory over Baker on another schools thread is silly.

By the way, your coach was a "volunteer" at KU that means he didn't get paid (can't recruit off campus). He was head coach at Menlo for one year. You have three coaches with a total of one year of "paid" college experience, if he got paid at Menlo.(the current guy at Menlo is an admissions counslor.)

So what did you pick? Over?

jackrabbit1979
03-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Pedro,
I see you are passionate about NDSU baseball but before you run your mouth too much you may want to look into some of the history of the programs and see which is more successful.

NDSU happens to be the only NCC school that never won an outright conference title, besides USD (which doesn't have baseball anymore), SDSU has won nine.

The overall series is pretty close ::) 70 wins for my rabbits to 28 for your bison. Even in the last 11 years (since your new coach took the helm) we are 11-8 against you. That includes the last four years or so which could be seen as the worst years in SDSU's program.

And then you insult our current coach, at least he had college experience when he started, volunteer or not. You hired your current coach directly from the high school ranks.

Take it easy on us brother, or get your facts straight before you trash the programs.

89rabbit
03-11-2005, 07:55 PM
*To post a victory over Baker on another schools thread is silly.

Pedro old friend, I am planning on posting every victory. *As a baseball "expert" you put the over/under on Jackrabbit victories for the season at 8.5, I just want to make sure you are updated. *You can thank me later. *;)

Go State! *;D

P.S. I will take the under on runs scored by Nebraska (42.5 for four game series).

89rabbit
03-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Be sure to post on this site the scores against Nebraska. *

Game 1 Final Score

Neb. 7 - SDSU 2

Not bad against the #23 team in the nation.

Go State! ;D

Pedro
03-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Your celebrating losses? No insults on Reggie, just the facts. Additional facts, you tore down your field (I saw the proposed one late in the fall /whatever) and put up a parking lot (there is a song about that)

Baseball at SDSU has been your best overall sport for 30 years and your own posters diss it. By talking about dropping it and others have bashed Billy McMacken (the SDSU basball icon) on your own site.

Mitch was coaching when Reggie was in grade school, Mitch wears his hat like Charlie Brown but other than that he is outstanding.

89rabbit
03-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Pedro,

Why do you have to be such a jerk?

Who is celebrating. *You asked me to post the Nebraska score so I did. *::) *I stand by my statement that a 7-2 loss is "not bad" against the #23 team in the nation. *I would hardly call that celebrating.

As far as where SDSU plays their games, well they play them at City owned field. *Who owns the Fargo-Moorehead RedHawks stadium that NDSU plays in?

You comment that some fans on the Jackrabbit board have suggested that baseball be dropped. *You yourself have suggested that both SDSU and NDSU should drop baseball on this board.

Finally you talk about Mitch coaching since Reggie was in grade school. *Wow your coach is older then ours. *Whoopie. *We could have said the same thing about Mitch*when Coach Ekland was still around for us. *::)

Pedro
03-12-2005, 12:17 AM
So what are you going to pick? over or under?

I'm not an expert, but thanks anyway. Maybe Ekeland will come be an assistant for the Bison since he is healthier now.

89rabbit
03-12-2005, 12:35 AM
Pedro old friend, I am planning on posting every victory. *As a baseball "expert" you put the over/under on Jackrabbit victories for the season at 8.5, I just want to make sure you are updated. *You can thank me later. *;)

Go State! *;D

P.S. I will take the under on runs scored by Nebraska (42.5 for four game series).

jackrabbit1979
03-12-2005, 05:12 AM
Mitch was coaching when Reggie was in grade school, Mitch wears his hat like Charlie Brown but other than that he is outstanding.

And Reggie's still won as many NCC championships as Mitch. And neither of them could hold Ekeland's jock, sorry.

Pedro
03-12-2005, 08:16 AM
This is true. But Ekeland is gone and here come the Bison.

89rabbit
03-14-2005, 12:48 AM
Four games, over under on runs allowed is 42.5

You won, 54 over the four games. * :-[

Pedro
03-14-2005, 03:10 AM
Pedro 1
89 Rabbit 0

Creighton o/under 14 (Big question will Torres have command?)

The Bison are going to have a few difficult days ahead.

89rabbit
03-19-2005, 10:34 PM
:o The Jackrabbits defeat the Fighting Irish! :o

03/19/2005
Baseball Team Defeats Notre Dame

EVANSVILLE, IN - Charles H. Braun Stadium in Evansville has, in a sense, become the home away from home for the South Dakota State baseball team.

On March 6, SDSU claimed its first victory over a Division I team when the Jacks defeated Butler at Evansville.

Saturday, the Jacks returned to Braun Stadium and defeated Notre Dame 13-7.

Tim Hanigan, a redshirt freshman from Lincoln, NE, led the 16-hit Jackrabbit attack going 5-for-6 with five runs batted in. He had a two-run single in the first inning, a run-scoring single to center in the second, a run-scoring single to left in the eighth and got his final RBI with a single in the ninth.

Batting ahead of Hanigan, Pat Farrell was 0-for-3 but walked three times and scored three runs while Tyson Fisher was 2-for-3 with a walk and scored three times.

While senior Josh Elliott started on the mound and earned the victory, it was sophomore Dalton Decker from Pierre who closed the door after the Irish tied the game at 7-7 with a pair of runs in the fifth.

SDSU scored twice in the top of the sixth to regain the lead, and Decker shut out Notre Dame on one hit over the final four innings.

Greg Geary was 3-for-6 while Chris Iverson had two hits and including a two-run single in the eighth inning.

SDSU opened a 6-0 lead getting two runs in the first on Hanigan’s single, and four in the second when one run scored on an error before Tony Lane, Geary and Hanigan each delivered RBI singles.

SDSU is now 3-12 and will play Evansville later today (Saturday) while Notre Dame is 7-9 for the season. Evansville defeated Notre Dame Friday night and is 18-5 for the season.

South Dakota State 13, Notre Dame 7

South Dakota State .. 240 102 022 - 13 16 2
Notre Dame .... 020 410 000 - 7 10 5
Josh Elliott, Dalton Decker (6) and Kyle Sytsma; Jeff Samardzija, Scott Bickford (4), Dan Kapala (6), Ryan Doherty (7), Tony Langford (8 ) and Sean Gaston. WP - Ellliott (1-3), LP - Bickford (1-1). Sv - Decker (1). HR- ND Craig Cooper.

;D Way to go Jackrabbits! Go State! ;D

P.S. That is three Padro! 8)

89rabbit
04-03-2005, 04:06 AM
Pedro,

Jacks split a double header today with the Sioux. *Although not happy that we lost the first game that does give us win # 4 in our quest to beat your over/under for total wins (set at 8.5). *Two more cracks at und-II tomorrow.

Go State! *;D

89rabbit
04-04-2005, 03:45 AM
Pedro,

Wins 5 and 6 against und-II.

04/03/2005
Jacks Sweep Pair From UND

BROOKINGS, SD - South Dakota State swept a baseball doubleheader from the University of North Dakota Sunday, winning 9-3 and 10-7.

The Jacks improved to 6-19. SDSU will host Dakota Wesleyan in a single nine-inning game Wednesday at Bob Shelden Field starting at 4 p.m. *. *. *.

Go State! *;D

RxBison
04-04-2005, 05:40 AM
NDSU happens to be the only NCC school that never won an outright conference title, besides USD (which doesn't have baseball anymore), SDSU has won nine.

NDSU won the NCC title outright last season. The tournament winner is the champ, which seems unlike any other sport or conference I know of. Before the tournament format, then they had shared championships, and the Bison had a few of those.

RxBison
04-04-2005, 05:45 AM
As far as where SDSU plays their games, well they play them at City owned field. *Who owns the Fargo-Moorehead RedHawks stadium that NDSU plays in?

Since the stadium is on NDSU's land, the university is the majority owner! And if you count the months the RedHawks are only in the stadium for five months (may-september) and the Bison for seven.

What was SDSU thinking a few years ago when they leveled the nice ball field by Frost Arena in favor of a blacktop for parking? They screwed their baseball program and forced themselves to play D-I games in Sioux Falls --- at a Northern League stadium!!

89rabbit
04-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Since the stadium is on NDSU's land, the university is the majority owner! *And if you count the months the RedHawks are only in the stadium for *five months (may-september) and the Bison for seven.

What was SDSU thinking a few years ago when they leveled the nice ball field by Frost Arena in favor of a blacktop for parking? *They screwed their baseball program and forced themselves to play D-I games in Sioux Falls --- at a Northern League stadium!!

This is a silly post. *Without the Fargo-Moorehead Redhawks do you really think that your Northern League stadium (even if it is on NDSU land) would exist. * ::)

Bob Shelden Field is a much nicer facility then Huether Field was, Shelden has bigger and better seating, more amenities, etc. *We are playing a couple of games in Sioux Falls, *Minnesota and Creighton, however that has more to do with reaching out to the largest city in the state (that is 45 min. to the south) in an effort to convert more SF residents into Jackrabbit fans then it does with the ballpark (we are also playing a Football game next fall, and a Basketball game next winter in Sioux Falls). *So we are not "forced" to play our D-I games anywhere. *The majority of our home games are played in Brookings, including our D-I match ups with the NDSU Bison. *

As far as "screwing" our baseball program . *. *. we have won 6 games so far. *Two against D-I schools, including Notre Dame, how about you guys? *

Go State! *;D

roadwarrior
04-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Actually, Newman Outdoor Field on the NDSU campus is currently owned by the City of Fargo. After the debt to the city for constuction funds is paid back with revenue from the Redhawks, ownership of the stadium will be transferred to NDSU.

89rabbit
04-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Hey RX,

Just in case you needed some additional info.

Fargo-Moorhead Redhawks

http://www.fmredhawks.com/about/

Newman Outdoor Field Facts...

Built as a joint venture between the RedHawks, the City of Fargo and NDSU

4,513 capacity (3,200 Reserved, 400 Third Base Deluxe, 750 General Admission, plus handicapped seating. *Does not include the Budweiser Beer Garden or SRO tickets)

The four largest crowds ever at Newman Outdoor Field (for Redhawk games) are: 7,300 (8/30/97 vs. Winnipeg); 6,369 (8/22/98 vs. Sioux Falls); 5,421 (8/28/1999 vs. Schaumburg); 5,274 (8/25/00 vs. Duluth-Superior).

The Redhawks have 47 home games at Newman in '05.

NDSU Bison

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=12103&SPID=706&DB_OEM_ID=24 00&ATCLID=115194

The crowd of 442 for the home opener was the fifth biggest draw for North Dakota State since the Bison moved into Newman Outdoor Field in 1997.

The Bison have 14 home games scheduled for Newman in '05.

Again, pretty sure no Redhawks no Newman. *Don't get me wrong, I think it was a great move to go in jointly with the City and the Fargo-Moorhead Redhawks and build a GREAT ballpark. *Just don't act like this is primarily a NDSU facility, and don't knock SDSU and Brookings for having a similar arrangement, be it on a smaller scale.

Go State! *;D

roadwarrior
04-04-2005, 07:05 PM
I'll agree with you 100%, rabbit, that the stadium that we have would not be there if not for the Redhawks franchise being awarded to Fargo.

bisongold
04-04-2005, 09:02 PM
And the philanthropic efforts of Mr. Newman!

jackrabbit1979
04-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Pedro,
You may want to rethink your argument here as our rabbits just took three of four from the Sioux and your bison got smoked at home.
You may turn the tides head to head, we will wait and see. :-/

89rabbit
04-07-2005, 02:42 AM
Pedro,

Win # 7 for the Jacks, only 2 more to go. ;D

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/VarsitySports/Baseball/NewsDetail55491.cfm?Id=46,4217

Go State! 8)

89rabbit
04-22-2005, 01:26 AM
Well Pedro old friend with the sweep of the Bison this past weekend the Jackrabbits did it, they beat your over/under on wins for the season. *We have 10 wins and still have 20 or so left to play. *I will no longer be reporting each win as it happens. *You can always come to the Jackrabbit board if you want to see how we are doing. * ;) ;D

Go Jackrabbits! *;D

kchats
04-22-2005, 04:53 AM
Well Pedro old friend with the sweep of the Bison this past weekend the Jackrabbits did it, they beat your over/under on wins for the season. *We have 10 wins and still have 20 or so left to play. *I will no longer be reporting each win as it happens. *You can always come to the Jackrabbit board if you want to see how we are doing. * ;) ;D

Go Jackrabbits! *;D

Quite a bit better than the Bison. Boy are the Bison struggling this season. It has to be painful to watch.

Hager780
04-23-2005, 06:58 AM
IT IS!!!! :P :P :P

(they SUCK!)