PDA

View Full Version : Baseball: kind of cool

tony
05-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Former WR Tim Erickson got his first home run in his last collegiate at bat. Zimmerman had a heck of a game too. Nice to see the Bison finish strong in baseball.

silkamilkamonico
05-25-2005, 12:35 AM
Wonder what will happen with the coaching situation.

McLeod is not teaching next year for sure, so either the school is committing itself to baseball and allowing McLeod to concentrate solely on baseball, or he won't be back.

BisonMav
05-25-2005, 02:43 AM
Former WR Tim Erickson got his first home run in his last collegiate at bat. Zimmerman had a heck of a game too. Nice to see the Bison finish strong in baseball.

That is pretty cool! 8) 8) 8)

dtdfb33
05-26-2005, 07:09 AM
Hopefully Mitch is done. I don't know how the athletic department could let him continue on after 10-43-1. Thats grounds for termination pretty much anywhere. The wins were against garbage teams too.

ndsubison
05-27-2005, 09:01 PM
In defense of Mitch, his roster was loaded with freshmen and if you look at his (overall) record, you will see that he led the Bison to several 20+ win seasons prior to this year and is statistically the most successful baseball coach ever at SU. If he cannot recruit or develop players to be competitive in D1 within the next 3 yrs, then some new blood will have to take over the program.

02Bison
05-28-2005, 01:20 AM
In defense of Mitch, his roster was loaded with freshmen and if you look at his (overall) record, you will see that he led the Bison to several 20+ win seasons prior to this year and is statistically the most successful baseball coach ever at SU. *If he cannot recruit or develop players to be competitive in D1 within the next 3 yrs, then some new blood will have to take over the program.

Ditto! Getting back to the original part of this thread...that is cool that Erickson hit a homer in his last at bat. Best of luck to him as he gets married and moves on with his life after NDSU.

ballboy
05-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Yes, that is a good way to finish up for Erickson. And there's no denying that the roster was loaded with freshman this season, but are you saying that's reason enough for the whopping amount of errors, and lack of offense? Either you can play or you can't. It's the difference of the pitchers getting 3 outs per inning, or 4 and sometimes 5. Will they perform better next season just because a year has passed? I think they could with discipline, practice, and more practice. I don't know the # of scholarships available to whomever coaches the team, but I know there are quality players out there from high school or legion ball who would give a D-1 school like NDSU a look. The Shirek bros. from Minot who are now pitching for Nebraska have said no school in ND even contacted them.. maybe they had their minds made up.. who knows. But, they got away. Someone needs to go after these recruits and I spose that's the coaching staff's job to determine if the player is a winner now.. not when he's a senior. Good pitching stops good hitting and to those of you returning to the mound next year... I wish you much success. And to the rest of the squad strive to be the best at your position, and don't play like you can't be replaced. Play with heart and you'll be winners.