PDA

View Full Version : Neil Wagner should......stay

Pedro
06-12-2005, 06:05 PM
There are several factors that should effect the decision if thought out properly. Ultimately Neil needs to do what Neil needs to do.

1.How much scholarship does he currently have?
2. How much $ will/was offered?
3. How much school do you have left?
4. How much do you value education?
5. How do you feel about NDSU basebal and your experiences?

Going to College and getting a degree is a major accomplishment and something you don't necessarly always complete. MLB studies have shown that once a student athlete signs professionally, stastically they seldom return back to school. Teams are quick to offer education in a package because they know the odds are they won't have to pay it. Also there is a time limit on when you can use it.

For example Wagner signs goes to short A, then goes to low a for two years, A ball for three in the process meets a supermodel has a kid, she is from New York not enough shopping in Fargo so makes him live on the east coast. Gets released the following year for what ever reason. Now he is 26-27 years old, married with children and won't be going to NDSU soon. His peers will have started their descent up the corporate ladder and when they are 30-32, they will be in management where the minor leaguer will be regrouping.

21st round my guess $2,500 max, unless they are waiting to see if their other drafts sign/for what $ and if the stars fall into place he could get more.

If the potential is there, it will continue to be there. 21st round(bad season) at $2,500 as a junior vs 8th round(good season) at $40,000 as senior. Yes, you lose some bargining power as a senior but you are also more attractive to poor teams who can sign guys for lower money, thus your round and value can increase.

IMO (it has been rumored NDSU went from 3 to 11.7 scholarships) tell the doctor you want a full ride-he will have the money if they just increased it. If you get it stay and sign next year. You will get more action next year now because the teams who didn't know you will now come watch. If the doctor doesn't offer you a ride (he should because he can't recruit anyone better at this point and will get the money back after one season)
then sign, but make a commitment to come back to school.

NDSU Ride @ $10,000? plus $10,000 signing bonus next year plus education completed vs $2,500?

A pro contract can be taken away an education can't. Where is JR Richards?

ballboy
06-12-2005, 07:44 PM
NDSU ride @ $10,000?..... pass the pipe Pedro... $3,000 maybe $4,000 tops and that won't bring Neil back. How can he be considered a top closer when he doesn't get the chance to close? He went from the mid 90's which is the reason he got the scouts looking at him in the first place... to the season he had this year. He'll go where he can get back on track and have the chance to show his talent. Best of fortune to him.

IowaBison
06-13-2005, 01:49 PM
NDSU ride @ $10,000?..... pass the pipe Pedro... $3,000 maybe $4,000 tops and that won't bring Neil back. How can he be considered a top closer when he doesn't get the chance to close? He went from the mid 90's which is the reason he got the scouts looking at him in the first place... to the season he had this year. He'll go where he can get back on track and have the chance to show his talent. Best of fortune to him.

a yeah, more than $10,000 for a full ride at ndsu (probably more than 11k this year).

tony
06-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Hey, it's great that Wagner got drafted.

While it'd be great if Neil came back for his senior year, he is an adult and presumably able to determine what is best for himself without us giving him advice.

Whatever path he takes, I wish him all possible success and hope that some day he has a college diploma to hang up on the wall regardless of how long it takes.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
06-14-2005, 05:18 PM
and for the record I declined an offer to be the 19th round selection of an American League team that would have offered me this same amount to sign.

If this is true, why? Doesn't make any sense to me.

BisonMav
06-15-2005, 03:03 AM
If this is true, why? *Doesn't make any sense to me.

Why doesn't it make sense to you? ???

Money isn't everything.

02Bison
06-15-2005, 03:55 AM
Why doesn't it make sense to you? *???

Money isn't everything.

Exactly...$40,000 won't go a very long ways if the baseball thing doesn't work out. Finish school first so you have something to fall back on is the best bet. Unless of course, you're the gambler type. They aren't good odds, regardless.

Pedro
06-15-2005, 05:51 AM
The thesis of my post is simple. IMO it is silly to sign professionally for $2,500 if you have a scholarship and school to finish. Many have signed for that and some have turned down a million (that is silly IMO as well!).

There has been no intent on my part to discredit, offer advice, or describe ones personal life, but to simply state a viewpoint. Examples given were exaggerations to show how sometimes things materialize in life.

My stances on topics are based on 24 years of involvement in baseball beyond HS.

Sioux Yea Yea does have a point, School and $40,000 is a great deal for the 19th round. I for one value education but if one wants to go back to school instead then more power to them.

Question: How many active minor leaguers are from South & North Dakota? (independent doesn't count)

How many active major leaguers?

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
06-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Exactly...$40,000 won't go a very long ways if the baseball thing doesn't work out. *Finish school first so you have something to fall back on is the best bet. *Unless of course, you're the gambler type. *They aren't good odds, regardless. *

I'm not saying he should leave regardless, just don't understand why you would say no to a team willing to take you in the 19th round when you had a bad year and there is a chance of not getting drafted at all. *I've seen it too many times where teams tell a guy they are going to draft him in a certain round and he ends up falling 10 rounds or not getting drafted at all. *Just don't think Wagner's in the position to be picking what team he wants to draft him, unless of course he doesn't plan on signing for very much. *If it's true that he told an American league team no, then it is very probable that other teams are aware of his signability problems and he will fall in the draft next year if he is eligible again. *

Sure it is nice to get your college degree, but you can go back whenever you want. *I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that $40,000 was probably more then he would have gotten for 19th round money, but if that was true why not take it? *Play this summer in short season A. *If they don't have you attend a fall league return for the fall semester. *Play next year at low A perhaps and again return for fall semester, graduate next December and have $40,000 in your pocket. *Just my opinion.

As for Pedro's question, I would think Hafner, Olson, Helling and Erstad are the only Major Leaguers from ND playing right? *South Dakota has quite a few guys in the majors including: Brandon Claussen, Justin Duchscherer, Mark Ellis, Keith Foulke, Jason Kubel, Kerry Ligtenberg and Shane Loux.

As for Minor leaguers I know of a couple and I'm sure there are more. *Plus Shirek will probably go somewhere after Florida beats them in the CWS next week.

bison_baseball
06-15-2005, 09:03 PM
Congrats to Wags...just make sure when you make it to the bigs that you keep the tradition your left handed Canadian buddy taught you and make sure that hat is nice and dirty!!