PDA

View Full Version : McLeod announces starters

bison_baseball
02-08-2006, 08:40 PM
As the Bison baseball team begins to enter their second season of Division I, it still looks like a mighty tough schedule, with a still very young team. The pitching staff with be tough, but with Wagner, Tchida and Goltz gone, do they have the leadership they need to suceed? And with the likes of Branca and Thielke still on the roster...all I can say is "are you kidding me???" These guys might get lucky and be a #5, maybe #4 guy at Minot State, but not at NDSU! Their offence doesn't show much improvement from last year and lets hope they're not looking to rely on the long ball this year to put up runs. With all that said, I still think they're going to hold their own this season, and turn a few heads and hopefully begin to put Bison Baseball on the national map!

teamsioux
02-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Where did Wagner end up at/where will be pitching this summer? Thanks in advance.

sambini
02-09-2006, 01:01 AM
Good luck Bison baseball.++++

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-09-2006, 06:50 AM
I think that Branca has more than earned the opportunity to be a starter for NDSU. He was undervalued and little used by the previous pitching coach because he doesn't throw gas, but he stuck around and has made himself into a quality D-1 pitcher. If you watched any games last year you probably would have noticed that he lead the team in ERA. And just for a point of reference:
Goltz + Tchida + Wagner in 2005 = 1-14, 10.13 ERA in 109.1 IP
I think that the pitching staff will be just fine.

Snurd
02-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Although the upper classmen of Goltz, Tchida, and Wagner didn't fair too well last year they were still looked upon to lead the staff and they had been involved in college baseball.

I think Branca has matured overall and hopefully has a better approach to the game than he did when he was younger. He seemed like he would rather play intramural hoops than be on the mound. If he can keep the ball down and listen to his coaches/catcher he has the ability to be affective.

Hopefully the younger Bison can step it up and keep their composure. Confidence is key.

I think they will fare better and there should be no excuse for not competing with most teams.

I feel that this is a big year for recruiting. If the Bison fizzle like they did last year I wouldn't expect too many D-1 type players wanting to go to a team that shows they can't compete. If they show some improvement and win 20+ games they may be able to sneak a few Gopher recruits away that want to play right away.

Good luck boys!

bison_baseball
02-09-2006, 06:17 PM
When speaking of the loss of Wags, Tchida and Goltz; it had nothing to do with their record last year or ERA but rather their ability to take the younger guys under their wing and guide them into the program. We used to have a lot of tradition on and off the field, and for some reason a majority of it has been lost.
I agree with Snurd on the topic of Branca, he may have earned the opportunity to play at SU but any guy that would rather play intramural basketball or stay home and play on-line Socom games rather than be at a team function...just doesn't sit well in my books! This is a huge year for the program and they need to step it up!

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-09-2006, 06:49 PM
I'll agree that over the last two years the Bison have lost a lot of veteran leadership, but there are still guys like Erzar, Mitchell and Branca who have been around for five years and are capable of leading in their way. There are also a number of young character guys on this team that I think will step up, so I think this team doesn't need to worry too much about that.

bison_baseball
02-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Come on now, Mitchell might be the quietest guy I have ever met. Sure he's a gamer and will be ready to play each day, but by no means will he be a leader in the locker room or dugout!

morecowbell
02-10-2006, 08:27 PM
i dont think that you guys should be ripping on branca like that. so what if he likes to play basketball or video games as long as he is ready to go come game time that is all right. from what i have heard, he has really developed since his younger days and if you look at the stats he was one of the most effective pitchers on the staff last year. he had the lowest era on the team and hardly walks anyone. i think if he pitches like he can and with mitchell in the rotation and if bushland and williams continue to develop in their sophomore years they have a pretty decent staff this year.

Snurd
02-10-2006, 10:01 PM
It is good to see when players develop. Maybe he finally realized that you only get one chance to play college baseball, and not many can say they got the chance to play D-1.

I have respect for anybody that sticks it out like Branca, Erzar, and Mitchell. All of these guys had rough starts to there careers and have continued to work hard. I hope they all have success this year.

bison_baseball
02-13-2006, 10:38 PM
The fact of the matter was not that Branca plays basketball or video games, but rather his dedication at the time to the game of baseball and the program. Sure he has developed and yes, he was one of their more dependable pitchers last year. I give him credit for that and let's hope that he has changed his view on the game and the fact that he is playing D-1 baseball! I think the staff has a chance, they have some young, talented guys but they're going to need somebody to step up in that clubhouse and lead these boys!

Bison_Kent
02-14-2006, 12:45 AM
I see that the Bison baseball team plays in Wichita in a couple weeks for a weekend series. I will have head to the games and cheer on the Bison. I went to one game last year at Kansas State and they didn't have much of a crowd. I did, however, meet a couple of the parents.

Wichita State's baseball stadium is one of DI's best and usually have several thousands of people at the game.

I am hoping for the spring like weather we have had down here for January and most of February. It snowed for the first time this calender year on Saturday but it was just a dusting in the morning and the snow was gone by the afternoon. It was 60 or so today.

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-16-2006, 05:14 PM
NDSU has a tough schedule again this year with teams like Wichita State, Kansas State and Kentucky (Inf/Of John Shelby is pretty nasty) but looking at the schedule I think that there are a few more wins in there than there were last year, even if the team hypothetically hadn't improved since last year (which I think it has). *I can see NDSU cracking 20 wins if they have a good season from the players and coaches, which would be huge.

roadwarrior
02-16-2006, 07:46 PM
There is also a game against Minnesota in the Metrodome.

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-17-2006, 11:08 PM
That's true. Actually, the Gophers baseball team is playing nearly all their games in the dome this year in protest of not getting a new on campus stadium.

sambini
02-18-2006, 05:34 AM
How is Coach MCLEOD NEW COACH WORKING OUT? WILL HE BE A HAND IN RECRUITING?

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-19-2006, 04:46 PM
How is Coach MCLEOD NEW COACH WORKING OUT? WILL HE BE A HAND IN RECRUITING?
What I understand from talking to a couple of the guys earlier in the year is that the new coach is a disciplinarian and has brought some new ideas into the staff, just like Montgomery did last year. Based on that description, I think it will be good because the team lost Tweeter and nobody ever really filled that void until now apparently. I have heard nothing but positives about the new coach so far.

sambini
02-20-2006, 01:14 AM
That sounds good and how will they be this year? Any predictions?

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-20-2006, 06:18 PM
I think that the team will be better than last year, because Mitch brought in some talented freshman last year who now have a year's experience under their belt. *Having said that, there is still going to be a dependence on incoming freshman to play a significant role and for other young/relatively inexperienced players to carry the load. *If they can split against UNI, S. Illinois, Valpo, etc (not too unrealistic) and steal a few other games, that would put them at 20 wins and be a major accomplishment for the program. *May not get there this year but the program is definitely headed in the right direction in terms of having some young talent to work with and building a good coaching staff.

Snurd
02-21-2006, 04:54 PM
Good luck to the Bison as they start their 2006 season in Sacramento this weekend.

bison_baseball
02-21-2006, 09:50 PM
I think the team does have some talent on the roster and most of it is young and inexperienced. They need to play big each and every day to suceed and are no longer going to be able to get by on individual skill and talent like they have in the past. It's going to be a tough season, but I wish them all the best. The coaching staff they need is in place and they've got the talent, it's just a matter of who steps up and leads this team this year!