PDA

View Full Version : Bison vs. Gopher Baseball

Mr._Bill
03-09-2006, 02:42 AM
Bison-Gopher baseball, 3-3 in the 7th inning. 2 RBI single by Langlais to tie it up. Go Bison!

Mr._Bill
03-09-2006, 02:46 AM
Bison-Gopher baseball, 3-3 in the 7th inning. *2 RBI single by Langlais to tie it up. *Go Bison!

My error, single by SS/CF Nick Schommer scores two. Bison outhitting Gophers 5-2. Good pitching performance by Mossy for the Bison.

Mr._Bill
03-09-2006, 02:48 AM
4-3 Bison. Gophers hitting in the bottom of the 7th. Go Bison!

Bison_Kent
03-09-2006, 02:49 AM
4-3 Bison, bottom of the seventh. *

Mr._Bill
03-09-2006, 02:58 AM
5-4 Gophs after 7.

Mr._Bill
03-09-2006, 03:34 AM
Bison 4-8-1
Gophers 5-3-0

Great effort, but a Loss at Metrodome. Too many walks, and a timely 2 run HR by the gophers.

sambini
03-09-2006, 03:58 AM
Nice effort Bison.+++++++++

Gamehunter
03-09-2006, 04:12 AM
+++ We will get them at Newman

sambini
03-09-2006, 04:19 AM
When is it at NEWMAN?

roadwarrior
03-09-2006, 04:49 AM
May 3rd I think at home.

Man, the Metrodome is a BLUE place with only about 500 or so fans filling those seats. *It was nice to see more Bison fans there than Gopher fans!

Maybe we will get them next time.

roadwarrior
03-09-2006, 04:58 AM
Hot off the wire:

Attendance: 764

Gamehunter
03-09-2006, 05:10 AM
Do they always draw that few of fans? My gosh, they are Big 10. And if half of them were Bison fans.....

Rodentia
03-09-2006, 05:59 AM
There were some kids on the first base line who were getting a lot of foul balls. It was interesting watching them search.

The Metrodome is a pretty big place for a small audience. It does have the advantage of allowing the Gophers home games early in the season. This was the first Gophers baseball game that I've been to, so I'm no expert. I think that attendance will be up when the Gophers start playing at their normal stadium later in the season.

tony
03-09-2006, 08:57 AM
Nice game, tough loss. Hopefully the team builds on this.

sambini
03-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Mitch keep your chin up and gitter done Bison.

mikelsch
03-09-2006, 09:36 PM
I am impressed with the Bison baseball team so far this season. Every game has been close except for the St. Mary's game. Hopefully the guys can see that they are making progress and not get discouraged by all the close losses.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-09-2006, 09:58 PM
The season so far indicates to me a huge step in the right direction for the Bison program. They took their lumps last year with a lot of youth, but playing well and playing competitive games shows me that the players they brought in were quality guys and the coaches are connecting with them. I'm really excited for the rest of the season.

Snurd
03-09-2006, 09:58 PM
I was at the game. *The Bison could have easily beaten the Gophers. *They just made a couple costly mistakes. *
Here are a few that I noticed:
-The rundown on the first and third play. *1st baseman needs to cut the distance and not allow the runner to get back to first. *Also play should have been made at the plate....instead the runner from third scores and the runner from first moves to second on the wild throw.
-Left fielder not knocking the ball down on the double down the line. *He should have made a sliding attempt to keep it in front, could have saved a run. *Would have been a tough play but he had nothing to lose. *it was a guaranteed double and even if he slid it would not have been a triple.
-Mossey getting picked at second after his double for out #3. *PLayers have to be aware of the trailer (1st baseman). *It was a nice play be the gophers but the bison would have had their #4 hitter up with a man in scoring position. *Getting to third doesn't help the bison that much in that situation. *But the kid is a stud and everyone gets caught in that situation, I can attest to that.
-also too many walks by the pitchers. *It looks as though they were tryign to be a little too fine with their pitches. overall a very nice job though, keep up the good work.

I hope they can start pulling off these close games and get some W's. The team seems to have a lot more "fire" in them this year. I'm sure there is more team unity after being together for a whole year and a half now. Last year it was a whole new group of guys. It takes a while to form a little chemistry.

lakesbison
03-10-2006, 06:03 AM
Id say 350 bison fans... 100 gopher fans.. so must of been 300 season ticket holders that didnt come to the game..

I was just happier than hell about that game... Bison missed a couple opportunities earlier in the game.

LINTON ND native Kyle Carr shut down the bison for 3-4 innings...... HE is a stud.. Twins draft pick.. ( 1st ND player drafted outta High School I think... others were drafted after college.. erstad, olson, hafner..etc)

ANYWAYS... we had a few beers at the game and were having a great time (*FARGODOME/NEWMAN* needs to allow beer sales...

Bison outplayed the Gophers and THE FARGO FORUM didnt have ONE THING about the game.. what a JOKE!!

Get out and watch this team people!! GO BISON!!

Rodentia
03-10-2006, 06:13 AM
I was looking at the Gophers' baseball schedule, and they only play 2 games at their on-campus baseball stadium this year, according to the schedule. I was surprised, notmally they only play in the Metrodome early in the season.

SUILB#28
03-10-2006, 06:52 AM
From what I understand, they are pretty upset about not getting the funding for a new baseball stadium so I think they are playing as many as possible at the Metrodome. I could be wrong but I think that is what the issue is.

sambini
03-11-2006, 04:37 AM
28 I've heard and read about that same issue. Sid Hartman is pushing for a new stadium all the time on his sunday radio show.

SUILB#28
03-11-2006, 04:52 AM
There stadium is no where near the quality of Neumann. They shoudl get a new one. One in better proximity in the campus. *The only stadium that is better than ours I have seen is Nebraska's. On a another note...We are only a player or two away from beign a five hundred team with a regular schedule. I really think we could make a run if we were in the Mid Con, but you have to play the cards you are dealt. These guys will compete regardless.

sambini
03-11-2006, 01:16 PM
28 the stadium in Lincoln is a similiar situation as we have in Fargo. Maybe the U can work with the SAINTS.

roadwarrior
03-11-2006, 04:28 PM
The U's current stadium is on campus, but is very old and falling apart. The city of St Paul has talked about building a new stadium for the Saints because they now know they wont be getting a new stadium for the Twins. It would be in downtown St Paul though, way too far from campus for the Gophers to use. And I dont think the legislature can deal with another stadium issue, so I dont see anything happening for the U as far as baseball goes.

SUILB#28
03-11-2006, 05:39 PM
28 the stadium in Lincoln is a similiar situation as we have in Fargo. Maybe the U can work with the SAINTS.
I think the situation with a semi-pro and a college team is very benficial. It allows for greater interest in the upkeep of the stadium and fosters longevity of the stadium. The gophers desperately need a new stadium and location. I know a few guys when recruited were turned off by the gopher stadium. That being said, stadiums don't win baseball games, but I think it has hindered the recruiting for the gophers.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-11-2006, 07:12 PM
From what I understand, they are pretty upset about not getting the funding for a new baseball stadium so I think they are playing as many as possible at the Metrodome.
John Anderson (Gophers head baseball coach) spoke at a banquet I attended about two months ago and he complained for about 15 minutes about not getting a new stadium and then said they were going to play the majority of their games at the Dome, so I think it is safe to say that is the reason. I've never liked Anderson and particularly dislike his assistant coaching staff, but there is no question in my mind that a new stadium needs to be provided for that program.

RxBison
03-11-2006, 09:29 PM
I think the situation with a semi-pro and a college team is very benficial. It allows for greater interest in the upkeep of the stadium and fosters longevity of the stadium.

Don't forget the Legion World Series will be held at Newman Outdoor Field in a few years. They will want to have the stadium in good shape for that. And having a bunch of high school baseball players coming to campus can't hurt recruiting.

Bryan
03-12-2006, 02:54 AM
Minnesota drew over 5,000 against Notre Dame last Saturday and 3,000 for the Sunday game against Nebraska. A Wednesday night game against NDSU isn't much of a draw.

As far as the stadium situation, you guys did a pretty good summary with a few exceptions. Anderson doesn't want to go to the legislature or even the school for money. He just wants permission to privately raise the money and build the stadium but he is caught in the middle of the Title9 battle. He claims to have between 5-6 million already committed from former Gopher major leaguers like Winfield, Molitor, G. Olsen, Steinbach, Neagle, Lightenberg, Brower, Quinlann, D. Wilson, etc.
The idea of playing all games at the Dome is his way of telling the administration that the current facility is unacceptable. Privately he is confident that they will get it done in the next 3-4 years but he's frustrated that a program that has been as successful as MN baseball has had to wait and watch the womens softball, soccer, hockey, tennis, and rowing teams all get new facilities.

BamBison
03-12-2006, 04:33 AM
Good job by the Bison to outhit the Gophers, 8-3, last Wednesday. ;D

BTW, the one thing you can count on from the Gophers' teams, and their coaches, is their incessant whining about a lack of quality stadiums :-/

If I was John Anderson, I might try to focus on the Gophers' hitting, or lack thereof. They could only muster 3 hits off the Bison pitching staff in a 9 inning game. Instead, you get all these public rants from Anderson, Glen Mason,...............

sambini
03-12-2006, 05:05 AM
Thanks Bryan for your insight.

Rodentia
03-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Good job by the Bison to outhit the Gophers, 8-3, last Wednesday. ;D

BTW, the one thing you can count on from the Gophers' teams, and their coaches, is their incessant whining about a lack of quality stadiums :-/

If I was John Anderson, I might try to focus on the Gophers' hitting, or lack thereof. They could only muster 3 hits off the Bison pitching staff in a 9 inning game. Instead, you get all these public rants from Anderson, Glen Mason,...............

I'm certain that Anderson doesn't divert time from coaching in order to "rant" about Seifert Field. Some Gopher fans complain that Mason doesn't rant enough about the stadium situation, that he isn't out there publicly pushing for the new stadium. In any case, the Metrodome is inadequate, as the Gophers get little revenue from the Metrodome.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-12-2006, 06:31 PM
I have to agree with BamBison. John Anderson is a whiner, plain and simple. He whines about just about everything, from the fact that the Gophers don't have a multi-million dollar bat deal and the fact that other states have tuition waivers for in-state students with good grades to the fact that NDSU and Northern Iowa are stealing recruits because the Gophers don't have a clue when it comes to who they sign. Minnesota is an excellent regional program, but Anderson is in fact a whiner.

BamBison
03-13-2006, 03:14 AM
Not only do the Gopher coaches whine all the time about issues such as new stadiums, but their fans (what precious few they have) also whine way too much.

Rodentia
03-13-2006, 03:58 AM
Not only do the Gopher coaches whine all the time about issues such as new stadiums, but their fans (what precious few they have) also whine way too much.

Maybe you should coach for Minnesota, you could out-whine all of them.

BamBison
03-13-2006, 05:51 AM
Great comeback (above) Rodentia!! ::)

You must have attended the University of Minnesota.

Did you write your own papers?