PDA

View Full Version : No Colorado Baseball upset WOW!

lakesbison
04-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Obviously not at nationwide big as NDSU over Wisconsin... but in the baseball circles it could be classified as very much the same.

Congrats UNC!!

LINCOLN, Neb. - In what can be described as the team's biggest win in over 30 years and biggest since starting the reclassification process back to Division I three years ago, the University of Northern Colorado baseball team topped No. 2-ranked Nebraska 5-2 on Tuesday night at Hawks Field at Haymarket Park.

Nebraska (17-4), ranked No. 2 nationally in the latest National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) poll, had won 13 of their last 14 games overall entering the contest, including six in a row against Northern Colorado (9-16). The victory was just the third all-time for the Bears against the Cornhuskers (who now lead the series 19-3) and first since a 4-2 victory in Lincoln in 1991.

The win was the highest over a Division I ranked team since topping No. 1-ranked Arizona in the 1974 District 7 Playoffs; that win advanced the Bears to its 10th College World Series. Northern Colorado was a Division II baseball team from 1991 until 2003, and began the reclassification process back to Division I in 2004.

The win snapped Nebraska's 33-game non-conference home winning streak and was only the second home non-conference loss for the Huskers since the start of the 2004 season.

MinotBison
04-03-2006, 03:38 AM
Obviously not at nationwide big as NDSU over Wisconsin... but in the baseball circles it could be classified as very much the same.

Congrats UNC!!

LINCOLN, Neb. - In what can be described as the team's biggest win in over 30 years and biggest since starting the reclassification process back to Division I three years ago, the University of Northern Colorado baseball team topped No. 2-ranked Nebraska 5-2 on Tuesday night at Hawks Field at Haymarket Park.

Nebraska (17-4), ranked No. 2 nationally in the latest National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) poll, had won 13 of their last 14 games overall entering the contest, including six in a row against Northern Colorado (9-16). The victory was just the third all-time for the Bears against the Cornhuskers (who now lead the series 19-3) and first since a 4-2 victory in Lincoln in 1991.

The win was the highest over a Division I ranked team since topping No. 1-ranked Arizona in the 1974 District 7 Playoffs; that win advanced the Bears to its 10th College World Series. Northern Colorado was a Division II baseball team from 1991 until 2003, and began the reclassification process back to Division I in 2004.

The win snapped Nebraska's 33-game non-conference home winning streak and was only the second home non-conference loss for the Huskers since the start of the 2004 season.

Who were the pitchers for Nebraska? They have two brothers pitching for them, Phil and Charlie Shirek, who are from Minot.

BisonMav
04-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Great win, UNC has a great baseball tradition. UNC has been to 10 College World Series.

Sticks
04-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Actually a very impressive win for UNC considering that 8 of the 9 "regular" starters for UN had at least one at-bat (6 of the 9 started the game). Also, Charlie Shirek started the game (evidently the 4th man in UN's rotation) and went 5.1 innings.

I was surprised to see that most of UN's "regulars" were in this game. When I had initially read the post, I immediately thought that UN had played every scrub they had and threw their #8 guy at UNC. Usually non-conference games will bring out the 6,7, or even 8th starters for teams and also brings out the second and third players at some positions. This apparently was NOT what happened. Congrats UNC

Sticks
04-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Who were the pitchers for Nebraska? *They have two brothers pitching for them, Phil and Charlie Shirek, who are from Minot.

Charlie is still playing, but I believe that Phil's eligibility is up....pretty sure he was a senior last season.

sambini
04-04-2006, 03:17 AM
The Huskers have another minot High alum in freshmen third basemen Andrew Gudmundson.

MinotBison
04-04-2006, 04:38 AM
The Huskers have another *minot High alum in freshmen *third basemen Andrew Gudmundson.

That's right! I had forgotten about him. All 6'5" of him. Not many 3rd basemen that tall.

kchats
04-04-2006, 05:20 AM
Sounds like Nebraska took out their frustrations on Kansas State. They halted a game because of the Big 12's Mercy Rule, ouch.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14248948.htm