PDA

View Full Version : BISON BASEBALL #12 in nation!!

lakesbison
03-28-2006, 03:46 AM
Check this out!! from gobison.com

Bison Strength of Schedule Index Soars:

North Dakota State head coach Mitch McLeod knew his 2006 baseball schedule was tougher than last year’s, but it was a surprise last week when the Bison ranked 12th in the country in WarrenNolan.com’s strength of schedule report after a 1-16 start. That stretch included a three-game set at Wichita State, three games at Kentucky, two games at Creighton, and three games at Kansas State—four teams who have jumped into the national polls with a combined record of 74 wins and 18 losses through Sunday

amazing.. huh.... if MINNESOTA was it's typical self and havoring the top 25.. this wouldve been even higher!!

GO BISON!!! ha ha

silkamilkamonico
03-28-2006, 04:00 AM
Apparently only in baseball can a team be 1-16 and "#12 in the nation".

Snurd
03-28-2006, 01:49 PM
#12 strength of schedule. unreal. Their schedule is way too stacked. They have had a lot of close games but just can't get over the hump.

Just think if the football team played Division 1 teams that were ranked in the top 30 or so, it would be ugly, not that the baseball team's season is pretty.

Maybe next year they should think about scheduling it a little more realistic and get a few more W's. If I were an incoming freshman I would be fired up to play those teams but 10-40 is a long season.

BisonBacker
03-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Apparently only in baseball can a team be 1-16 and "#12 in the nation".
If you would have paid attention to his post it didn't say 12th ranked based on Wins and Losses but 12 ranked in terms of SOS (strength of schedule) for those who can read.

SUILB#28
03-28-2006, 06:09 PM
I agree the SOS is ridculous. I think at a point last year the schedule was in the top ten during the sprink break stretch. The schedule is difficult but the baseball team is a year or two away from being a .500 team. There is a lack of depth, but the talent in the starting lineup between the Bison and their opponents is not as losided as the record shows. Still, to quote Bill Parcell's "You are what you are." So lets win some games this weekend at UNI. But I still think the baseball team (within the next two years I hope ;)) will turn some heads.

silkamilkamonico
03-28-2006, 07:35 PM
If you would have paid attention to his post it didn't say 12th ranked based on Wins and Losses but 12 ranked in terms of SOS (strength of schedule) for those who can read.

Why do I have to pay attention to the post?

The thread title said "BISON BASEBALL #12 in the nation!!"

Maybe the thread title should be changed to something more accurate like "BISON BASEBALL #12 in the nation in SOS!!"

A little deceiving for my taste. I got all excited thinking our baseball team was actually doing something on the positive side.

BisonBacker
03-29-2006, 01:02 AM
You make a good point, the title does tend to make one think otherwise.

Sticks
03-30-2006, 09:44 PM
Edited by Admin: UND talk goes on the Smack board - unlike Bison fans, you get unlimited posts there, but that doesn't mean you can bring smack to the main board.

mikelsch
03-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Ignore the trolls

Admin: hehe, just let me kwno and you won't have to ignore them, I'll edit offending posts until they stop on their own (or they get banned).

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-30-2006, 11:32 PM
I like this long arm of the law/big brother tactic to ridding the boards of random und-2 talk. Way to go tony!

mikelsch
03-31-2006, 04:34 PM
Nice work Tony

lakesbison
03-31-2006, 04:42 PM
If they wanna STEP UP TO THE PLATE In division 1.. then we can talk smack with them up north.

til then... just delete them.. I LOVE IT>.

JOIN THE CLUBHOUSE and we'll let you post.

USA_Hockey
03-31-2006, 06:46 PM
So were not going to have an actual decent discussion or mixed opinion, just a bunch of Bison fans harping about UND all day.

silkamilkamonico
03-31-2006, 07:17 PM
So were not going to have an actual decent discussion or mixed opinion, just a bunch of Bison fans harping about UND all day.

apparently this is a thread about Bison Baseball.

Noone here is really concerned about UND.

If you would like to talk UND, www.siouxsports.com is where it's at.

mikelsch
03-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Well Said Silk

BisonBacker
03-31-2006, 08:19 PM

Troll Alert

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-31-2006, 10:44 PM
A comment on the original topic of this thread, I like what Mitch has done in scheduling the best teams he can find and building the program that way. It has been tough the first couple years and won't be easy for the near future, but I think it is great that they are playing tough teams.

Snurd
03-31-2006, 11:08 PM
Yeah it's good to play good competition, but for many people that look in they see 2-18. Why not cut out some of the powerhouses and play some mid-majors or even a couple D-2's and get some wins.
You have to be realistic and right now The Bison can't compete day-to-day with a top 30 team.

If you were a high school senior thinking about going to NDSU and see back to back 10-45 seasons you might think twice. Even if they can play right away who wants to lose all the time??

Not saying that they will continue to lose but with the teams the Herd has had the past few years and all of those young players their confidence level has got to be down. If it was a senior laden team with experience and a lot of 4th or 5th year guys it may be a little different. But when it is all 18-20 yr old guys it is not the same. You just aren't physically or mentally developed yet.

The experienced (not necessarily more talented) team will find a way to win a one run game every once in a while.

I hope they can keep their heads up and start pulling out some wins. If they can get to 15 wins it would be a start. 20 woudl be awesome so turn it on boys.

bison_baseball
04-02-2006, 03:08 AM
Well said Snurd....Mitch has done a great job getting the games that he has gotten the last two years but the transition to D-I shouldn't be that off a giant leap but more of a gradual rise. You've got to look at the young roster you have and the fact that they all need a little confidence to succeed, especially since baseball is such a mental game. Sure Mitch will be able to brag to next years recruiting class that at one point during the 2006 season, their SOS was ranked 12th in the nation, but with a record of 10-45 (approx) is just doesn't sound good. I just hope once the team developes down the road, he'll still be able to schedule the same teams.

Sticks
04-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Tony, what is it with you and just deleting posts? *I was careful in making sure that the post was in deed conversational, was not derogatory, and had fact to it. *You can't run around swatting flies for these people just because you can. *When it's smack, go ahead and move it, when it's conversationally adding to the board....leave it alone!

BisonBacker
04-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Now we have trolls telling the admin how to run the board. Way to funny ;D