PDA

View Full Version : 7 HOME BASEBALL GAMES?!??

lakesbison
03-05-2006, 05:20 AM
im not counting the 2 games vs Very $#$tty State.... but YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!?!?

probably the top 25 stadium in Division 1 and we cant get more than 7 D 1 games/!?!

that is a TRAVESTY!!!..

Cmon GENE TAYLOR!!! whats the deal here!?!? Our Baseball Program could THRIVE in the future if we showcased that STADIUM MORE!!!

TheBisonator
03-05-2006, 05:57 AM
Very Shitty State... That's a GOOD one!! I've never heard that one before. ;D ;D ;D

roadwarrior
03-05-2006, 07:56 AM
Its kind of hard to play baseball outdoors in Fargo during March and most years April.

Jackrabbit
03-05-2006, 01:18 PM
It is hard to play baseball in this part of the country in March and April. It's no fun for the athletes and certainly no fun for the fans. It's no wonder baseball is on the chopping block at so many schools.

I realize there are no "summer sports" for NCAA athletics. But, both baseball and softball would be a lot more athlete-friendly and fan-friendly if they were played during the summer.

Can you imagine coaches trying to recruit a kid from Texas to come north and play baseball or softball in 30 degree weather?

MplsBison
03-05-2006, 05:57 PM
How would you guys feel about cutting baseball and softball to save money?

The Big Sky doesn't support either of them (for the reasons mentioned above).

sambini
03-05-2006, 06:44 PM
NO NO .

Mr._Bill
03-05-2006, 06:53 PM

Baseball is a major sport with signficant national interest. There is no support from me for cutting it. The sport is growing at NDSU and conference affiliation will be huge when it happens, whether it's own main conference or a baseball only conf for us. We also have a great facility to help recruiting. Cutting baseball . . . very bad idea, IMO.

Gamehunter
03-05-2006, 09:10 PM
I think that because NDSU has one of the best stadiums in the country right on campus, it would be a shame to not have a baseball team to play in it.

MplsBison
03-05-2006, 10:07 PM
The RedHawks would still play there during that season.

It's not like the people of Fargo would not have the chance to view some great baseball at that great facility.

mikelsch
03-05-2006, 10:10 PM
Softball will never be cut. Women's sports are sacred cows in the eyes of the NCAA.

MplsBison
03-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Very true.

But what about baseball?

kchats
03-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Why cut it? It isn't very expensive and they have a great stadium.

MplsBison
03-05-2006, 11:49 PM
I would like to know how much money we do spend on baseball.

I don't see how having the stadium there justifies the team.

It would also free up some more male scholarships if we wanted to go to DI-A football.

kchats
03-05-2006, 11:55 PM
NDSU doesn't have too many sports offerings. Why would you cut a program that plays in a state of the art stadium? I don't like hearing talk about cutting programs just to cut programs.

MplsBison
03-05-2006, 11:56 PM
Is there such a thing as cutting a program just to cut it?

I think the point would be to save money by cutting a sport that no one cares about (what's the attendance for NDSU baseball? Less than a 1000?) and possibly setting ourself up for a move in football (the most cared about sport) to DI-A.

Bisonguy
03-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Is there such a thing as cutting a program just to cut it?

I think the point would be to save money by cutting a sport that no one cares about (what's the attendance for NDSU baseball? Less than a 1000?) and possibly setting ourself up for a move in football (the most cared about sport) to DI-A.

A minimum of 16 sports are required to be a member of I-A. NDSU currently has 16, IF and only IF indoor and outdoor track are funded at least at 85%(?) of the maximum allowed financial aid.

MplsBison
03-06-2006, 12:03 AM
When we get in the Big Sky we'll have to add Mens and Womens tennis, I believe.

MplsBison
03-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Which, speaking of the Big Sky, none of those schools have baseball or softball and they manage fine.

Football
M Bball
M X Cty
M I Track
M O Track
M tennis
M Golf

Volleyball
Soccer
W bball
W X cty
W I track
W O track
W tennis
W golf

That's only 15, by the way, so you might want to check that 16 required figure.

kchats
03-06-2006, 12:10 AM
None of them have a state of the art baseball stadium on campus. Baseball isn't even that expensive. I still say why cut a program that isn't a budget drain and it also provides division I baseball opportunities for North Dakota players.

Bisonguy
03-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Which, speaking of the Big Sky, none of those schools have baseball or softball and they manage fine.

Football
M Bball
M X Cty
M I Track
M O Track
M tennis
M Golf

Volleyball
Soccer
W bball
W X cty
W I track
W O track
W tennis
W golf

Since when is the Big Sky a I-A conference?

14 sports are required for membership in DI(AA or AAA), 16 to be DI-A.

Look here- The quick and easy NCAA membership requirement chart (http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_I/DI_Membership_Info/Information/memrequirements.pdf)

Rodentia
03-06-2006, 12:55 AM
Maybe there should be a baseball scheduling alliance? One advantage that Minnesota has is the the Metrodome allows home games to be played early in the season. Perhaps NDSU could play some neutral-site games at the Metrodome?

Siouxpreme
03-06-2006, 01:23 AM

Football
M Bball
M X Cty
M I Track
M O Track
M tennis
M Golf

Volleyball
Soccer
W bball
W X cty
W I track
W O track
W tennis
W golf

Sac State and Northern Colorado both have baseball and softball. *Sac State is a baseball affiliate in the WAC (or is it the Mountain West?). * UNC also is looking at getting affiliate membership in one of these leagues. *If the Big Sky added UND, NDSU, and SDSU, would it add baseball? *Sac St probably wouldn't like to be forced to drop membership in its other league to play baseball ini the Sky.

Does the team have access to an indoor batting cage / pitching mound / infield? *You have to have those if any league is going to take you seriously. *Newman Field is a nice place. *It would be too bad if you had to drop baseball because of money issues.

Siouxpreme
03-06-2006, 01:54 AM
Sac State and Northern Colorado both have baseball and softball. *Sac State is a baseball affiliate in the WAC (or is it the Mountain West?). * UNC also is looking at getting affiliate membership in one of these leagues. *If the Big Sky added UND, NDSU, and SDSU, would it add baseball? *Sac St probably wouldn't like to be forced to drop membership in its other league to play baseball ini the Sky.

Does the team have access to an indoor batting cage / pitching mound / infield? *You have to have those if any league is going to take you seriously. *Newman Field is a nice place. *It would be too bad if you had to drop baseball because of money issues.

Just looked it up. If the Sky added UND, NDSU, and SDSU, they would have six softball teams with Portland State, Sac State, and UNC and the Sky would probably have to sponsor the sport. PSU and Sac St are in a softball conference with Cali schools now. Guess that's another reason why Sac and PSU would be opposed to Dakota schools in the Sky.

lakesbison
03-06-2006, 03:03 AM
unlike your democrat-artsy fartsy area in the cities that would rather have a GUTHRIE or 5 more playhouses than a MAJOR LEAGUE STADIUM....

I mean.. BASEBALL is VERY POPULAR in this region. and NDSU having baseball is still a big deal.. no matter WHAT YOU SAY!!!..

Look at that schedule. its brutal.... but thats good.. at least the baseball team aint afraid of full blown division one... unlike the football team thats afraid to schedule the gophers in 06....

BASEBALL WILL NEVER BE CUT... expenses are 26 uniforms, 500 baseballs and 200 Bats.. plus travel *mainly by bus to mpls, wichita, omaha, iowa.. etc)

barely a breath... CUT all the womens programs as far as Im concerned.... * oh wait... dam Title IX!*

MplsBison
03-06-2006, 06:10 PM
I respect all of your guys opinions. It was interesting to see how much support there seems to be for baseball on this board.

Do you guys go to all the baseball games? Isn't the avg. attendance under 1000?

kchats you continue to bring up the fact that there is a nice baseball stadium on NDSUs campus. I still fail to see how that justfies having a team. The people of the FM area will still have an oppertunity to see some great baseball all summer long by watching the Red Hawks. And it was even noted that summer is the best time to watch baseball in this area. Because of the weather here, NDSU will never have many home games. That's just the way it is.

Bisonguy you're right, I was wrong. It's 14 in DI and 16 in DI-A. With that in mind:

Men = football, basketball, golf, tennis, wrestling, xcountry, i track, o track

Women = volleyball, soccer, basketball, golf, tennis, xcountry, i track, o track

That would give us exactly what the Big Sky sponsers plus wrestling (which I forgot about) and they already have a conference. That's 16 sports which would let us go to I-A no problem.

The Big Sky will never sponser baseball or softball. If Montana, Montana State, Weber State, EWU, and Idaho State don't have it, the conference won't add it.

Also, I looked at Wyoming, Colorado State, Idaho, and Boise State. None of them have baseball and only CO St. has softball.

roadwarrior
03-06-2006, 06:30 PM
I would wager that NDSU does not even THINK about cutting baseball or softball, so I'm not sure why this discussion is happening ???

BisonBacker
03-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Just looked it up. *If the Sky added UND, NDSU, and SDSU, they would have six softball teams with Portland State, Sac State, and UNC and the Sky would probably have to sponsor the sport. *PSU and Sac St are in a softball conference with Cali schools now. *Guess that's another reason why Sac and PSU would be opposed to Dakota schools in the Sky.

Thats laughable. When did undii make the move to DI?

MplsBison
03-06-2006, 07:07 PM
I would wager that NDSU does not even THINK about cutting baseball or softball, so I'm not sure why this discussion is happening ???

You're not getting off that easy.

Why not? None of our peer institution in the mountain states have them (except CO St. softball).

silkamilkamonico
03-06-2006, 07:24 PM

If the Big Sky came calling, I would agree.

You couldn't pay me to watch a baseball game.

John Kruk said it best, "I'm not an athlete, I'm a baseball player!"

8)

ohdavey1234
03-06-2006, 07:36 PM
ND isn't a mountain state so why would it be in the same category as the other states you listed. Wouldn't it be in the same category as South Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, which all support their D1 baseball programs.

I dont know how you would even consider dropping a sport that is considered "americas pastime".

silkamilkamonico if you dont consider a baseball player an athlete where does a golfer fit in on your list?

MplsBison how many bison athletic events do you attend each year?

DenverBison05
03-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Silk,

You couldn't pay me to watch a volleyball game, but do you hear me asking NDSU to cut volleyball. This is completely insane talk. There is no way that NDSU is going to cut America's favorite past time.

BisonBacker
03-06-2006, 08:51 PM
I couldn't agree more. I have absolutely zero interest in Vollyball but I wouldn't suggest cutting it. On the other hand it may not need to be suggested by anyone as it looks like it (volleyball ) is on life support right now anyway. :-/

Snurd
03-06-2006, 09:08 PM
niether sport is getting cut.

I think the Baseball team will have much more success, they played Witchita tough and they will probably be the best team they play

just need to start hitting the ball

Bison101
03-06-2006, 10:21 PM
In my humble opinion, Softball and Baseball are two sports that NDSU could have national success at. Maybe not a national championship but a trip to the World series is much more likely than the basketball team making the final four. What the school needs to compete at tthe DI level is a dedicted indoor practice field for Baseball and Softball. In addition, the girls need a new stadium as part of that plan. I know this is a long time off as we have other needs( BSA, Indoor practice facility for Football, etc) before this subject can be seriously talked about but the potential is there!

Snurd
03-06-2006, 10:47 PM
they need to put a bubble over Dakota field and throw some new fieldturf in there.
But we need to face the fact that Baseball is at the bottom rung for finances, they don't make money.
But when they continually get the worst practice times it gets old. They were practicing from 9:00-11:00 earlier this winter from what I heard.

They will need a MUCH better practice facility to ever consistently recruit good players for the D1 level. we couldn't even set up a full-sized infield due to the basketball court being in the way.

MplsBison
03-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Guys, there is something you have to understand.

I'm not saying we should cut baseball just because I feel like it.

Big Sky, guys. Think Big Sky.

That's where we're going, period.

Those are our peers over there in the Mountain states.

None of them sponser baseball or softball, and we should try to be like them.

The only extraneous sport would then be wrestling which is the cheapest sport at NDSU and already has a conference. They're practically independant of the athletics department.

Every single one of them support volleyball, on the other hand.

It makes too much sense to cut baseball and softball to to be ignorant of the option.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-07-2006, 12:24 AM
I think that the idea of cutting baseball might be one of the most ridiculous ideas I've seen on this board. Cut baseball to fund a D-1a move for football? Are you insane? To do this and be at least reasonable respectable the University would likely have to build a new stadium to replace the Fargo dome and NDSU would never compete nationally. Not to mention the fact that the baseball team is making strides and over the weekend played competitive games against a top 25 team this weekend (remember, no 1-AA classification). Anyone think the football team would have given Minnesota a competitive game this year when they were a fringe top 25 team? I would like anyone saying yes to cover themselves in aluminum foil so you can be identified and detained. Maybe the most preposterous idea is cutting the sport to better fit the Big Sky. While I think the BSC is NDSU's best fit, the conference has for the present rebuffed the SU's and making decisions like this based on their whims would be highly unadvisable. If were going to cut a sport, how does golf sound?

NDSUstudent
03-07-2006, 01:29 AM
Cut baseball? That is just not right and thankfully I doubt it will ever happen. Baseball is something that sets NDSU apart and could potentially make us look more attractive to the Mid-Con, MVC, or WAC because all of those conferences sponser baseball. We have an amazing baseball stadium and I think if you just give the team some time and perhaps in an indoor facility the sport will do just fine. Fargo has a rich baseball history and it would be a shame if NDSU were to ever cut the sport.

kchats
03-07-2006, 03:40 AM
Why get rid of a team that has a great stadium. Maybe we could funnel all the money used to renovate the BSA into other programs and live happily everafter. The baseball stadium is a first class division I facility and you want it to sit empty. Doesn't make any sense to me.

MplsBison
03-07-2006, 02:37 PM
*The baseball stadium is a first class division I facility and you want it to sit empty. *Doesn't make any sense to me.

This is the third time you've brought that up and the third time you've ignored me when I've said that the facility wouldn't be empty.

Look, the stadium was not build for NDSU baseball, ok?

It was build for the Red Hawks.

They're the ones who use it.

For crying out loud, you're complaing about the thing being empty, how many home games does NDSU have this season?

Let me clue you in, it's not because we're a transition team. It's because you can't play baseball in North Dakota until May. By then the season is about over.

In general, I respect all of your guys opinions. Baseball has great support here.

It just makes me wonder why the few home games scheduled have such low attendance.

bison_baseball
03-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Cutting baseball...ha...and cutting it to open up scholarships and funding for football, now that's ever more ridiculous. Why not cut golf, wouldn’t that open up funding and scholarships? Everybody is open to their own opinion, but some people just really need to know when to keep it to themselves and when not to open their mouth for everybody else to hear their gibberish!
Yes the stadium was built for the Redhawks, and yes it is used by the RedHawks, but only for 3-4 months out of the year. The rest of the time, winter through summer it is used by NDSU's baseball team. And if it was built for just the RedHawks, then why'd they build it on campus?
Sure we only have 7 home games, but it's part of the process of making the move to D-1. If you're going out there, trying to get games on your schedule that look good towards national rankings, strength of schedule, etc. no school is going to pay money to travel up here to play some school from ND. They want you to come to their field, so they can stay home and make money off of us trying to strengthen our schedule and make a name for ourselves. Makes sense to me...and would be the exact same thing I would do if say Mayville State wanted to play SU. I wouldn't drive there to play them, I'd make them come and play me!!

mikelsch
03-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Cutting sports just to be in the Big Sky. Now that's just plain silly. Especially since there's a good chance we won't even end up there.

Men's golf at NDSU is non-scholarship - so don't lose sleep over cutting that one.

Softball - women's sports don't get cut...ever. Plus, I think NDSU can be successful in this sport - maybe not nationally like it was in DII, but regionally it could be.

Baseball is only about half-funded for scholarships, mainly because of title IX reasons. Bison baseball is on the rise, just give them a couple years. Wouldn't it be great to a have a competitive baseball team at NDSU? It would give us something to follow all year round - Football, Basketball, and Baseball.

Snurd
03-07-2006, 05:05 PM
well said bisonbaseball.

I believe that Newmann was funded both by the RedHawks and NDSU.

I think it would be a HUGE waste if NDSU threw away their investment and would basically letting the Hawks play on their land without using the stadium.

That is not the main reason for not cutting baseball either. No sports need to be cut right now.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-07-2006, 07:34 PM
I think that in four or five years we will all look back and think this is a crazy idea. Baseball has been a rising program for the last five years, and it was only two years ago that they won a conferene title. The team is young and the area supports baseball, so I think it is all good.

JACKGUYII
03-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Cut Baseball and Softball so we can be like the Big Sky. That has to be one of the top 5 most ridiculous comments I have seen on this board. I think the College World Series in Omaha is one of the most exciting Championships in the NCAA. I think both SDSU and NDSU have an opportunity to be competitive in these sports. SDSU just knocked off Wisconsin in Softball last week. If Nebraska can be a powerhouse in Baseball why can't the Dakota State U's?

mikelsch
03-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Wisconsin can't like the SU's much anymore

JACKGUYII
03-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Indeed. The Bison beat them in Mens Basketball and the Jacks in Women's Basketball and Softball.

MplsBison
03-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Sure we only have 7 home games, *but it's part of the process of making the move to D-1. *If you're going out there, *trying to get games on your schedule that look good towards national rankings, *strength of schedule, etc. no school is going to pay money to travel up here to play some school from ND. *They want you to come to their field, *so they can stay home and make money off of us trying to strengthen our schedule and make a name for ourselves. *Makes sense to me...and would be the exact same thing I would do if say Mayville State wanted to play SU. *I wouldn't drive there to play them, *I'd make them come and play me!!

The point is simple.

NDSU is going to the Big Sky.

The Big Sky doesn't have baseball.

Therefore, baseball will be an independant sport with no conference.

The only way NDSU can get more home baseball games is if they're in a conference for baseball.

What conference can NDSU get in for baseball?

So here's my conclusion. Keep baseball for now.

When NDSU gets into the Big Sky, give the baseball program a couple years to see if they can get into a conference for baseball and get some home games.

If they can't get at least 15 DI home games, cut the program to save money.

MplsBison
03-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Especially since there's a good chance we won't even end up there. *

If baseball can help us get into a conference that isn't the Big Sky, good.

That's why I say we should keep it until we get into the Big Sky.

Softball - women's sports don't get cut...ever. *Plus, I think NDSU can be successful in this sport - maybe not nationally like it was in DII, but regionally it could be.

Maybe.

Yes, it is valuable for the womens scholarships it provides.

But adding womens tennis can help in that area too.

It's possible that softball can help us and would stay even if it didn't have a conference. I can see this. *

Baseball is only about half-funded for scholarships, mainly because of title IX reasons. *Bison baseball is on the rise, just give them a couple years. *Wouldn't it be great to a have a competitive baseball team at NDSU? *It would give us something to follow all year round - Football, Basketball, and Baseball. *

Yes, give them a couple years after we get into the Big Sky.

Maybe they can prove me wrong.

But I would say also to keep an axe ready at hand.

MplsBison
03-07-2006, 10:47 PM
I think it would be a HUGE waste if NDSU threw away their investment and would basically letting the Hawks play on their land without using the stadium.

So charge them rent.

That is not the main reason for not cutting baseball either. *No sports need to be cut right now. *

Agree.

Wait until after we join the Big Sky.

Nick
03-07-2006, 11:06 PM
What are you so infatuated with the Big Sky Conference? NDSU's been turned down by them at least a few times by them now. That's not even that attractive a conference anymore. The Missouri Valley is a lot more appealing, especially with SU's recent success. NDSU's baseball team was very competitive with one of the best teams in the country. Take away a few errors and walks, and NDSU would've won 2 outta 3 in Wichita. Yeah, cut baseball to get into the Big Sky. Good idea buddy.

MplsBison
03-07-2006, 11:19 PM
You've got me all wrong, Nick.

I don't want to cut baseball to get into any conference.

I'm saying that once we're in the Big Sky, baseball and softball become extraneous with no independant conference of their own.

That's the real reason that NDSU has no home games. It has no conference.

So why have the team if all they do is travel around the country every weekend to play at other stadiums?

They'd be generating no revenue for the school. And by playing no home games anyway it's almost about the same thing as not having a team.

You guys talk about NDSU baseball like it's the biggest sport on campus. Like we're at Fullerton or Long Beach. The whole point of this thread is that there are only 7 home games and zero DI home games.

So I say, once we're in the Big Sky, give the baseball team a couple years to prove why we should keep them.

roadwarrior
03-08-2006, 12:05 AM
The whole point of this thread is that there are only 7 home games and zero DI home games.

hmmm....I guess Minnesota and Creighton and South Dakota State must have dropped down a division....

Nick
03-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Everything doesn't have to be about money here though. NDSU is getting their name out there. You said that they might as well not have a team since they don't have a lot of home games. How about fielding a team simply for the sake of fielding a team. All these schools that pick and choose sports are a joke. Every school should have the major three sports. This is America. We play football, basketball, and baseball. Nobody cares about the other sports anyways, but we should have the big three.

MplsBison
03-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Everything doesn't have to be about money here though. *NDSU is getting their name out there. *You said that they might as well not have a team since they don't have a lot of home games. *How about fielding a team simply for the sake of fielding a team. *All these schools that pick and choose sports are a joke. *Every school should have the major three sports. *This is America. *We play football, basketball, and baseball. *Nobody cares about the other sports anyways, but we should have the big three.

I respect your opinion.

A number of schools in the moutain states don't have baseball, though.

And most Big Sky teams don't either.

bison_baseball
03-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Ok, we really need to give up on the whole Big Sky theory and move on. Even if SU moved to the Big Sky Conference for all sports, nothing says that we can't stay a DI Independent baseball team and play within the other 11 DI Independent basebeall teams and have that act like a conference. With the exception of Hawaii-Hilo, you could almost create a north and south division, like the Big 12 with the north looking like:

NDSU
SDSU
UNC
IPFW
NYIT
Utah Valley State

And the south:

Texas A&M Corpus Christi
Texas Pan American
Dallas Baptist
Savannah State
Longwood
Cal-Davis

BisonBacker
03-08-2006, 05:04 PM
I used to be one of the biggest cheerleaders to get into the BSC. Not anymore. I hope the Missouri Valley or Mid-Con will accept us. Outside of Montana and Montana State nothing else about the BSC excites me anyway. As far as the BSC is concerened been there done that, why get setup for just another let down? I'm beginning to think they just like jerking the chain of both SU's. They want bottom dwellers let em have the susies if they decide to grow a pair and move up, doubt that will happen tho either.

RxBison
03-08-2006, 06:26 PM
The NDSU baseball schedule is great. *They are playing tough DI competition and they will always be able to schedule games with or without a conference. *It is much more difficult to schedule non-conference opponents in sports like basketball and football. *

The home games will come in the future. *We do have a downside due to the length of the winters here.

MplsBison
03-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Ok, *we really need to give up on the whole Big Sky theory and move on. *Even if SU moved to the Big Sky Conference for all sports, *nothing says that we can't stay a DI Independent baseball team and play within the other 11 DI Independent basebeall teams and have that act like a conference. *With the exception of Hawaii-Hilo, *you could almost create a north and south division, like the Big 12 with the north looking like:

NDSU
SDSU - ok
UNC - ok
IPFW - Likely getting into the Mid Cont
NYIT - ok, though talk about an expensive road trip
Utah Valley State - ok

And the south:

Texas A&M Corpus Christi - they got accepted into the Southland
Texas Pan American - ok, again expensive
Dallas Baptist - this is a DII team in the Heartland Conference (http://heartlandsports.org/index.shtml)
Savannah State - Likely getting into the Big South
Longwood - Likely getting into the Big South
Cal-Davis - they got accepted into the Big West

So really, what we're talking about is UNC, SDSU, NDSU, UVSC, NJ Tech, and Texas Pan American.

Assuming each team plays three games at each other that's 15 home games.

Not bad.

Let's see if it gets done.

MplsBison
03-08-2006, 07:15 PM
The home games will come in the future. *We do have a downside due to the length of the winters here.

That's really my point.

Will it ever be possible to have a full slate of DI home games at NDSU?

It isn't possible at Eastern Washington, South Dakota, Montana, Montana State, Wyoming, Colorado State, Idaho, Idaho State, Boise State, Weber State, and Utah State.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-08-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm pretty sure Minnesota plays a full slate of D-I baseball home games every year, so NDSU is not at as huge of a geographical disadvantage as some are saying. As regards the BSC, I think that long-term the Mid-Con is probably a better fit, as the Montana teams are really the only ones of any significance to us, and we could still play them non-conference. I think it is time to move on from this discussion.

RxBison
03-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Don't athletes that sign to play baseball at NDSU have the expectation of many road games?

DI has the advantage of play-offs starting later than DII.
i.e. this year DI regionals start June 2 and DII regionals start May 18.

JACKGUYII
03-08-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm pretty sure Minnesota plays a full slate of D-I baseball home games every year, so NDSU is not at as huge of a geographical disadvantage as some are saying. *As regards the BSC, I think that long-term the Mid-Con is probably a better fit, as the Montana teams are really the only ones of any significance to us, and we could still play them non-conference. *I think it is time to move on from this discussion.

The big reason Minnesota has a full slate of games is they can use the Metrodome prior to the Twins heading north in April. The Bison have a better baseball facility than the Gophers home outdoor stadium.

MplsBison
03-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Yes, the Metrodome is the answer there.

Maybe the Big Sky is not the answer.

All I'm saying, though, is that if the Big Sky becomes the answer we need to get the payroll out and take a long look at baseball at NDSU, at a minimum. Maybe softball too.

We'd have to add men's and women's tennis. That wouldn't be cheap.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Okay, I'm still failing to see how your explanation shakes out here. If we get into the BSC we need to do what? Cut baseball and softball in favor of mens and womens tennis? Are you nuts? Yes, good idea, cut sports that generate low to moderate interest levels/spectators for sports with none. Cut a sport in baseball that has some revenue from fans to offset costs, for tennis that will draw zero people. Cut a sport with an outstanding facility in favor of one that we will have to build a facility for. I'm sorry, but at what point are you going to just stop and think about what you are saying?

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-09-2006, 10:10 PM
I think that maybe the answer for NDSU is simply to cut every sport that we currently sponsor except football, level the entire campus and rebuild, building facilities only for tennis, womens rowing, men's volleyball, hockey, and every other fringe sport in america so that we can demonstrate our commitment to the BSC. *I think at that point maybe they would let us in and we could hold the title of most completely screwed athletic department in the country.

MplsBison
03-09-2006, 10:18 PM
My logic only works after we get into the Big Sky.

Because we will then be forced to add mens and womens tennis, regardless.

Thus, the point of cutting Baseball and Softball is that they become extraneous and only cost us more money.

If they only have seven home games and three DI home games, what's the point?

That was my logic.

roadwarrior
03-09-2006, 10:54 PM
If they only have seven home games and three DI home games, what's the point?

Tuesday, MplsBison wrote:

The whole point of this thread is that there are only 7 home games and zero DI home games.

Now assuming that the gobison.com website is correct, there are NINE home games in 2006 with SEVEN of those against D-I teams.

bowar9
03-10-2006, 02:17 AM
No offense, but move on. You keep talking the Big Sky up like it's this great thing to aspire to. Also, why was the topic of cutting baseball ever brought up? I've never heard it mentioned until I saw it on here. It sounds like you're a big BSC/Tennis fan, but they both seem like bad ideas.

austin
03-10-2006, 04:04 AM
MPLSBISON
I'm still trying to figure out what the importance is of moving to Division IA football is. No sport on campus has been extremely successful at the Division IA level. Granted the men's BB team beating Wisconsin is huge. But they were 11-11 against mid majors and 1-1 against Big Ten and 4-0 versus the Dac 10. As for cutting the baseball and softball programs to fund more football scholarships is such bad logic. So give our precious football team 17 more scholarships and they would of gone down and played the Gophers this year? I don't think so. Craig Bohl made it clear he doesn't want anything to do with DIV 1A. Bottom line is the baseball program will never be cut for these reasons. The lease between the city NDSU and the Redhawks runs for 100 years. NDSU owns 33.4% of Newman and the other two own 33.3%. Ndsu is the primary owner of the stadium. Also the baseball team gets compensated for their travel throughout the season. I know that last year they got 4000 for 2 games in Nebraska. So how they are losing all this money is beyond me. I hate to say this but football lost more money last year in the transition than baseball or softball. Women's BB losing the most and then football and mens BB. What sports did u play at the college level MPLSBISON.

sambini
03-10-2006, 04:11 AM
Bottom line is support our teams at home this year. We will be fine.Thats what we hired Gene Taylor to do. And I think he has done a great job in this transition period.

SUILB#28
03-10-2006, 04:34 AM
I agree. Regardless of whether we have 25 or 5 home games, the baseball (and all spring sports) need the support of the community and fans. THe transition phase is extremely difficult on spring sports because without a conference, we are no longer in the same climatic situation as we were with our division two brethren. It is a lot easier to balance and manuever schedules when schools are in close proximity and dealing with the same weather conditions than when we are trying to fill schedules with teams like Kentucky. We will simply be able to play more games if they are away. But as time progresses and a conference is found, we will be in a conference receiving a significant greater number of home games, but it will not be 50% because of the weather issues in ND and the setup of the collegiate baseball schedule. Anyway, best of luck to the baseball team as they march through the mountains of Appalachia and back through the plains of Kansas and Nebraska.

Rodentia
03-10-2006, 06:44 AM
One advantage of going I-A would be that the Bison would be playing I-A teams in Fargo. They'd be able to get a 2-1 deal with Minnesota. The Gophers have played on the road at UL-Lafeyette and UL-Monroe in recent years. Not saying that I-A is realistic at this time, or that it will ever happen at all. But if NDSU could come up with the extra scholarship money it could happen someday.

MplsBison
03-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Tuesday, MplsBison wrote:

I was corrected.

Now assuming that the gobison.com website is correct, there are NINE home games in 2006 with SEVEN of those against D-I teams.

That's a step in the right direction.

Lets see if this progress continues.

MplsBison
03-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Lets clear something up.

I-A was just another thing to throw on top. It's the least likely thing to happen.

We shouldn't cut baseball and softball just to go I-A.

I was just giving more little reasons why it might be good to cut them.

And let me just say one more time. I'm not for cutting baseball to add tennis.

I said, clearly, that if we get into the Big Sky we'll be forced to add tennis no matter what happens.

And since the Big Sky doesn't support baseball and softball, it would make sense to look at cutting those sports to save money.

I also gave quite a few examples of peer schools to our west that don't have baseball. No one seems to want to argue about that.

MplsBison
03-10-2006, 04:21 PM
MPLSBISON
I'm still trying to figure out what the importance is of moving to Division IA football is. *No sport on campus has been extremely successful at the Division IA level. *Granted the men's BB team beating Wisconsin is huge. *But they were 11-11 against mid majors and 1-1 against Big Ten and 4-0 versus the Dac 10. *As for cutting the baseball and softball programs to fund more football scholarships is such bad logic. So give our precious football team 17 more scholarships and they would of gone down and played the Gophers this year? I don't think so. *Craig Bohl made it clear he doesn't want anything to do with DIV 1A. Bottom line is the baseball program will never be cut for these reasons. *The lease between the city NDSU and the Redhawks runs for 100 years. *NDSU owns 33.4% of Newman and the other two own 33.3%. *Ndsu is the primary owner of the stadium. *Also the baseball team gets compensated for their travel throughout the season. *I know that last year they got 4000 for 2 games in Nebraska. *So how they are losing all this money is beyond me. *I hate to say this but football lost more money last year in the transition than baseball or softball. *Women's BB losing the most and then football and mens BB. *What sports did u play at the college level MPLSBISON.

Your knee jerk post is out of line here.

You're implying that baseball is less important to NDSU than football and bball?

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-10-2006, 07:56 PM
I said, clearly, that if we get into the Big Sky we'll be forced to add tennis no matter what happens.
And since the Big Sky doesn't support baseball and softball, it would make sense to look at cutting those sports to save money.
I also gave quite a few examples of peer schools to our west that don't have baseball. No one seems to want to argue about that.
I'm failing to see how we are going to be forced to add tennis. *Unless part of joining the BSC is that control of the NDSU athletic department is forfeited to the BSC commisioners, NDSU will not add any sports that it does not want to. *It's worth suggesting that if NDSU is going to be forced to add sports of marginal interest like tennis to join a conference, that conference may not be worth joining. Also, adding tennis at the cost of baseball/softball is about the dumbest suggestion I've heard. *Are we moving the school to Europe? *Nobody in the U.S./dakotas cares about tennis! *We might as well make rugby and cricket varsity sports. *Let's stop the craziness people.

Snurd
03-10-2006, 08:07 PM
well said jd3rd ++
if you think attendance is low for baseball/softball, see what happens when tennis is added. This is ridiculous that this topic is even considered, but at least it shows that the baseball team has some support.

MplsBison
03-11-2006, 03:39 AM
You just refuse to understand.

For the millionth time, I'm not in favor of exchanging baseball/softball for tennis.

The Big Sky requires schools to have 14 sports that they consider "core sports". Mens and womens tennis is part of that.

So yes, we'd be forced to add tennis if we joined the Big Sky.

The rest of the sports we already have.

We'd also have extraneous sports of baseball, softball, and wrestling.

Wrestling already has a conference and I will add that I doubt it will ever be cut.

I'm just trying to see what the reaction would be to cutting baseball to save money, only in this exact situation.

Bisonguy
03-11-2006, 04:05 AM
You just refuse to understand.

For the millionth time, I'm not in favor of exchanging baseball/softball for tennis.

The Big Sky requires schools to have 14 sports that they consider "core sports". Mens and womens tennis is part of that.

The rest of the sports we already have.

We'd also have extraneous sports of baseball, softball, and wrestling.

Wrestling already has a conference and I will add that I doubt it will ever be cut.

I'm just trying to see what the reaction would be to cutting baseball to save money, only in this exact situation.

Forced to add men's and women's tennis if members of the Big Sky?

Portland State must not have received that memo.....

Rodentia
03-11-2006, 08:51 AM
I can't speak for the Big Sky, but it would be unusual for a conference to require that all the members participate in all the sponsored sports. The Big Ten, for example, only has seven schools that play field hockey, and seven that have men's soccer.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Okay, just to clear this up...
Sports sponsored by all schools in the BSC:
Mens: Football, Basketball, Track, Cross Country
Womens: Basketball, Track, Cross Country, Golf, Volleyball

Other sports sponsored by BSC schools (# schools sponsoring / 8 ):
Mens: Tennis (7, all but Portland St), golf (Idaho St, Sac St, Weber St), Baseball (Sac St), Skiing (Mont. St), Wrestling (Port. St), Soccer (Sac St.)
Womens: Tennis (7, all but Portland state), Soccer (7, all but Montana State), Softball (3, Idaho St, Port St, Sac St), Skiing (Mont St), Swimming & diving (N. Ariz), Gymnastics (Sac St), Rowing (Sac St)
So clearly NDSU would not be forced to add it if they were allowed into the BSC. *And by the way MplsBison, I don't buy the fact that you don't want baseball cut. *All your posts say something along the lines of "I'm not saying baseball should be cut, I'm saying that if we get into the BSC we should add tennis and cut baseball and softball." We have established that all the BSC teams don't sponsor the sport you want added, making it very unlikely NDSU would have to/be willing to add it, so let's just drop this topic.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-11-2006, 08:29 PM

Oh, also interesting to note...
Number of Sports sponsored by BSC schools:
Eastern Washington 12
Idaho State 14
Montana 12
montana state 13
Northern Arizona 13
Portland State 12
Sacramento State 18
Weber State 13
Okay, pencils down. *My count comes up with exactly 2 teams sponsoring 14 sports. *And really, there are only 9 sports sponsored by all schools, so it is probably more like nine "core" sports.

Bisonguy
03-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Oh, also interesting to note...
Number of Sports sponsored by BSC schools:
Eastern Washington 12
Idaho State 14
Montana 12
montana state 13
Northern Arizona 13
Portland State 12
Sacramento State 18
Weber State 13
Okay, pencils down. *My count comes up with exactly 2 teams sponsoring 14 sports. *And really, there are only 9 sports sponsored by all schools, so it is probably more like nine "core" sports.

Indoor and Outdoor Track are counted as separate sports, as DI requires a minimum of 14 sports.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-11-2006, 09:53 PM
In that case I will bury my head in shame for not knowing that, as it would put all teams at 14. However, this would still leave only 11 sports sponsored by all schools, so I guess my main point of tennis not being required stands. My apologies.

austin
03-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Bottom line. No one wants to see Boris Becker hit a forehand at the BSA. No one wants to see Anna Kournikova hit a forehand at the BSA but would like to see her bend over in a tennis skirt however. MPLS bottom line is that your comments are a joke and you have no fact behind them. 14 core sports this we prove you wrong. Adding tennis your a joke. I don't care if they don't have baseball west of us for eternity. Dropping baseball to join a conference is a joke and if Gene Taylor does that he would be the laughing stock of all division I schools.

bowar9
03-12-2006, 08:08 PM
So, I guess the response is negative. You wanted to know people's reaction to cutting baseball, and it's pretty overwhelming "Mpls". Every little move NDSU makes shouldn't be geared towards getting into the Big Sky. That seems to be your philosphy. There's gotta be other options. P.S. Nobody wants Tennis.

MplsBison
03-12-2006, 08:33 PM
I apologize for this thread continually popping up to the top and for the anger it has caused.

If the admin wants to lock it, I won't complain.

But as long as it's unlocked and as long as I'm being viciously attacked, I'm going to defend myself.

I am not a fan of tennis. I do not watch tennis on TV. I do not follow tennis. I do not care if NDSU has a tennis team or not. If NDSU does not have to add tennis to be in the Big Sky, that's good.

Please, understand this.

As it was mentioned before, the Big Sky sponsors 14 sports (fbl, MW bbl, MW ten, W golf, vol, W soc, MW xc/it/ot).

Every team in the Big Sky sponsors at least all of these sports except Portland State. This is including Northern Colorado. PSU is the only school in the conference that doesn't have MW tennis.

They used to. They asked the Big Sky if it was ok to drop tennis for a few years so they could get their athletic department out of the red.

As far as I know, they're going to add tennis back.

Also as far as I know, any team that wants to enter the Big Sky must have the 14 sports.

Anyone who knows for certain otherwise is welcomed to inform us all.

Almost all the other schools also have extraneous sports. Only Montana and Eastern Washington have exactly the 14 sports. Idaho State has softball and M golf, Montana State has MW skiing, NAU has W swimming/diving and M golf, PSU has wrestling and softball, Sac State has baseball, M golf, W gymnastics, W rowing, M soccer, and softball, Weber State has M golf, and UNC has baseball, M golf, wrestling, W swimming/diving, and softball.

Only Sac State and UNC will have baseball and SSU is in the WAC for baseball.

I just think that with so many Big Sky schools not having baseball and so many mountain DI-A schools not having baseball that if NDSU gets into the Big Sky, the fans should brace themselves for the possibility of baseball being cut.

That's all I'm going to say.

BamBison
03-13-2006, 06:05 AM
"How would you guys feel about cutting baseball and softball to save money?"

Message to MplsBison:

I went back to page 1 of this thread to see what your original point was...your exact quote is above...

It appears that you are interested in saving money, presumably for the NDSU Athletic Department. *Your "solution" is to cut two Bison sports.

I don't claim to know anything about NDSU Athletic Dep't finances, but my hunch is...if you want the Athletic Dep't to save lots and lots of money, then you should ask to have Bison football cut!!

Now, I am certainly NOT in support of such a move (I love Bison football, BTW), but I just want to point out how ludicrous your comments are.

And if you are interested in saving NDSU money in other areas, perhaps you should suggest that the Physics Dep't be cut, since they are likely not making any money, either.

Time to put a lid on it, MplsBison.

Paulie
03-13-2006, 03:33 PM
For what it's worth, the Big Sky required UNC to add indoor track and field to gain an invite. What requirements were made of Portland State or Sac State at their time of admittance I don't know.

MplsBison
03-13-2006, 03:51 PM
but I just want to point out how ludicrous your comments are.

And I think it's ludicrous to compare football and bball to baseball.

How many home games will baseball have once the transition is over? How many fans go to baseball games?

JACKGUYII
03-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Your whole premise arounds cutting or adding sports to accomadate the Big Sky when in fact we are no closer to getting in the Big Sky than we ever were. I do not think an invitation to the Big Sky is immenent. I do think an invitation is coming from the Mid-Cont within the next 12 months.

MplsBison
03-13-2006, 04:08 PM
I went to great lengths to point out that my logic is only for after we gained entry to the Big Sky.

If we don't go to the Big Sky then none of this is relevent.

BamBison
03-13-2006, 04:34 PM
MplsBison,

Do you have a clue how much $$$ the Bison football program is losing annually? And your ridiculous suggestion that two Bison sports be cut so additional scholarships could be directed toward Bison football would only result in more red ink for the NDSU Athletic Dep't.

I love Bison football...I'm proud of what we are doing on the gridiron. One of my proudest moments involving NDSU sports was watching our Bison beat up Wisconsin in men's basketball a few months ago. I also love Bison baseball and softball teams. Both squads are very competitive and will only get better in the year's ahead.

There is a bold vision for Bison athletics. ALL current Bison squads figure prominently into the vision.

Let's be a little less critical of Bison sports that may not be our individual favorites. Let's get behind all Bison sports and the Bison program as a whole.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-13-2006, 06:38 PM
It's worth suggesting that if NDSU is going to be forced to add sports of marginal interest like tennis to join a conference, that conference may not be worth joining.
Along these lines, I emailed the BSC administration to determine whether, in fact, NDSU would have to add tennis and got the following answer:
The Big Sky has a core sports policy that states that all schools must compete in the sports that are considered core.
Tennis
Outdoor Track
Indoor Track
Volleyball
Basketball
Cross Country
Golf (women's)
Football
Schools may be granted a waiver for different reasons (i.e.: Portland State does not sponsor tennis since it doesn't have the facilities at this time), but the waiver have a deadline to start sponsoring again.

Based on this it sounds like SU would have to add tennis, which begs the question of how smart it is for NDSU to join a conference that may require it to add sports that will absolutely lose money. It isn't like they are adding baseball, which is profitable in some areas (ie, the south), they would be adding tennis. They would not only have to spend money on the facility but lose money every year on the program. I think this points to it being smarter for NDSU to join the Mid-Con.

roadwarrior
03-13-2006, 07:38 PM
The administration at NDSU is well aware of the Big Sky requirement of offering the core sports.

MplsBison
03-13-2006, 07:39 PM
MplsBison,

Do you have a clue how much $$$ the Bison football program is losing annually? *And your ridiculous suggestion that two Bison sports be cut so additional scholarships could be directed toward Bison football would only result in more red ink for the NDSU Athletic Dep't.

I do not want to cut baseball and softball for more football scholarships.

MplsBison
03-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Along these lines, I emailed the BSC administration to determine whether, in fact, NDSU would have to add tennis and got the following answer:
The Big Sky has a core sports policy that states that all schools must compete in the sports that are considered core.
Tennis
Outdoor Track
Indoor Track
Volleyball
Basketball
Cross Country
Golf (women's)
Football
Schools may be granted a waiver for different reasons (i.e.: Portland State does not sponsor tennis since it doesn't have the facilities at this time), but the waiver have a deadline to start sponsoring again.

Based on this it sounds like SU would have to add tennis, which begs the question of how smart it is for NDSU to join a conference that may require it to add sports that will absolutely lose money. *It isn't like they are adding baseball, which is profitable in some areas (ie, the south), they would be adding tennis. *They would not only have to spend money on the facility but lose money every year on the program. *I think this points to it being smarter for NDSU to join the Mid-Con.

Montana State also doesn't have W soccer. I'd like to know the story behind that.

Portland State does have a tennis facility. They had a tennis team until 2003. They cut tennis to save money.

As I said, I'd rather not add tennis as it will only drain our budget.

But baseball/softball don't add to our budget either. Not with the amount of road trips they have to take.

SUILB#28
03-13-2006, 08:05 PM
I will give you I am no economist, but I do know on a number (if not the majority) of trips the baseball team is often put up at the expense of the host team, as well as given a payout. This does not happen all the time, but it often does I think as a way to make up for not signing a home and home deal. Also, I believe the football program is very close to the full alottment of scholarships at the I-AA level, and even though I don't know if anyone is suggesting this, the football program can't utilize anymore for scholarships. All this being said, it is important for us to find a conference, but one I think sponsors baseball and allows us to utilize our baseball facility adaquately.

SUCB#27
03-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Can someone explain to me how the football team loses money?

roadwarrior
03-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Can someone explain to me how the football team loses money? *

I didnt even bother to waste time responding to the post you are referring to.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Look people, yes football lost money last year, but not very much. *On the whole NDSU's athletic department lost around $40k-$50k out of a $6-7 million budget if my memory serves me correctly. *This is pretty good for being in the transition period. *I would like to see NDSU get into a conference like the Mid-Con where they don't have to throw away money on a sport like tennis, they can compete in baseball and softball, play in a good basketball conference and get into it sooner. *While NDSU could make a Big-Sky bid work, I think that it may come at a steep price.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Montana State also doesn't have W soccer. I'd like to know the story behind that.

Portland State does have a tennis facility. They had a tennis team until 2003. They cut tennis to save money.
Based on the email, it looks like women's soccer is not a core sport, which sort of surprises me. As regards Portland State's reasons for cutting tennis, I can't say I have any knowledge of that, that is just what the lady emailed me.

MplsBison
03-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Based on the email, it looks like women's soccer is not a core sport, which sort of surprises me.

Ah. That makes sense I suppose.

I emailed Montana State and they said they received a waiver for W soccer because they orginally had skiing instead.

So I wonder if it really is a core sport?

As regards Portland State's reasons for cutting tennis, I can't say I have any knowledge of that, that is just what the lady emailed me.

Here's a link on PSU tennis.

http://www.dailyvanguard.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/05/29/3ed5af5537264

It seems weird that they would mandate tennis and not soccer.

At any rate, I think this has been about as hashed through as it can be.

I think I'm done with this thread.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-14-2006, 12:21 AM
Yes, I think we have covered just about everything there is to cover on this topic. Our conclusions: NDSU would most likely have to add tennis if it joined the BSC, and that nearly all Bison fans would prefer for it to not be at the cost of baseball and softball.

sambini
03-14-2006, 01:05 AM
+++++++++++++

TheDoctor
03-14-2006, 04:48 AM
To baseballs defense, the weather up here makes it much more difficult to practice let alone play home games. Did you notice that the first tournament the boys went to they were playing teams with 5-10 games under their belts already. Its amazing what you can do when you can practice and play outside year round.

sambini
03-14-2006, 04:58 AM
Thats why you do not see many Northern tier teams in the CWS. Nebraska and Notre Dame HAVE MADE IT THERE LATELY.

Sticks
04-11-2006, 09:23 PM
I don't really see why any of you care how many home games the NDSU baseball team has.....nobody goes to them anyways. *I've been at several Bison games throughout a 5-6 year period, and I could STILL count the attendance on my fingers and toes. *What's stupid about it is that you have one of the best collegiate facilities in that area. *When NDSU was still in the NCC (and maybe even a couple of the lesser fortunate teams on your schedule now), opposing players would've KILLED to be able to call that place home.

So why the poor turnout? *It's not cause the Bison aren't good....they were a very competitive team not too long ago, and there wasn't anybody there then either, and I know that Fargo LOVES baseball....all you need to do is be at one Redhawk game to understand that. *

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-12-2006, 01:18 AM
I think that at the time that NDSU went Division 1 it was drawing very respectively for a D-2 team, in fact I think they were in the top 10 nationally. Attendance is going to generally suffer as they make the D-1 transition and take some lumps in terms of their record, but I think turn out will rebound after that. For whatever it is worth, NDSU set a school attendance record last year against the Gophers and the und game was well attended, so I think everything will be okay.

USA_Hockey
04-12-2006, 02:40 AM
This year happens to be nice, but many years those are some cold games. It's hard to draw well when it's 30 degrees out.