PDA

View Full Version : BISON VS VERY $hitty State...

lakesbison
04-14-2006, 03:18 PM
HEY... COME ONE COME ALL TO NEWMAN TODAY!

1pm and 4pm!!!

BASEBALL under the sun.

HEY>> ARE THEY SELLING BEER?? at the metrodome when BISON played the Gophers I drank all afternoon.. soo they better have it today!!!

a FROSTY BEER and Peanuts.... Dam I like baseball!!

see you there!!

02Bison
04-15-2006, 03:15 AM
Never heard of that school you mention. I have heard of Valley City State University and I hear they split the twinbill against the Bison today. Go Bison and good games Vikings.

runtheoption
04-15-2006, 03:09 PM
I have a lot of respect for the baseball team because they are giving their all and put in a lot of time practicing and traveling. *They are doing their best and wear the Bison uniform with pride. *

But I think there are some serious questions to be asked with a DI program that has only 3 wins against 27 losses, and then splits a twinbill with a Valley City State team that has not won a game in the Dakota Athletic Conference. *This is ridiculous, and to me embarassing. *Would Florida State, Rice, or Cal State-Fullerton athletic departments stand-by and watch their baseball programs get embarassed like this? *I think not. *I realize that with our northern location we will not be a powerhouse every year like those teams, but it would be nice to win games we should be winning (DI vs. NAIA), and maybe end up with a .500 record.

Is Mitch complacent because he has been here so long and feels a little too comfortable? *His record is 148 wins, 151 losses, and 1 tie since 2000, including 10-43-1 last year and 3-27 this year.

What about all the DI ND players that end up elsewhere--do we not have a good recruiting pitch/program for baseball?

We have had a lot of close games against quality DI programs this year, but close does not cut it. *We should demand and expect more from a DI baseball program. *If something is not working, then it is time to change what is being done. *I know the players have to perform, but it seems like there is a lot lacking from the coaching staff. *Is it lack of baseball knowledge, not knowing how to communicate with players, not able to motivate players, not being able to recruit, not able to retain quality players once with the program, or all of the above?

Something needs to be done.

buffalobilljr
04-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Global warming should help!! :) :)

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-15-2006, 07:53 PM
The thing that NDSU sports fans are going to have to understand about the progress of the baseball team in D-1 is that the baseball team is not the football team. *NDSU has a strong tradition of winning national championships and competing on a national level in football, so the transition period for the football team was quite minimal. *Baseball had virtually no baseball tradition until McLeod got to the program, just take a gander at the NDSU record books and you'll see almost all of them have been established under Mitch's watch and in the last 10 years. *The team won it's first conference title in 31 years the year before the D-1 switch. *The team is extremely young and there are a lot of freshman and sophomores being asked to make significant contributions, which would make these difficult years were NDSU still in the NCC. *However, in Division 1 and against one of the toughest schedules in the country the team is going to struggle mightily. *Mitch has done an excellent job in bringing in a lot of young talent, and over the last two years has upgraded the coaching staff significantly. *I am just as frustrated with the record of this year's team as everyone else, but I am very pleased with the improvement from last year in terms of statistical performance. *Just hang in there fans, this is a gradual building process, and despite outward appearances, I think Mitch has this program pointed in the right direction.

lakesbison
04-16-2006, 05:10 AM
I was at the games.. playing hookey *from work..

Lots of fans.. it was a gorgeous day.

Mossey didnt play.. did Mitch sit some of his players?? or just Mossey??

secondly.... NDSU cant hit with runners on.. PERIOD... and they look at WAY too many 1st pitches that it was embarassing to a point

mitch.. stresses way too much patience at the plate in my opinion..

the pitchers dont move the ball in and out effctively or if ever..

I was really shocked at their lack of confidence vs an *inferior team. ....... im sorry.. i dont care if ur 2 - 26.. u dont SPLIT.. *u win 16-1 like last year

They need kole zimmerman back.. and mossey... and even nick schoommer to start more.

runtheoption
04-16-2006, 02:07 PM
jeffdaryl3rd,

You make some excellent points and I agree with most of what you wrote. *The only thing I disagree with is them being young with a bunch of freshman and sophmores as being a major factor in the team's struggles, especially as they transition to DI.

This did not seem to affect the basketball team this year.

kchats
04-16-2006, 02:48 PM
If you have read the players comments they state that they are a bit down because of the tough losses they have suffered in a very tough schedule against quality division I teams. They have also been on the road alot and could have been a bit tired and not really prepared mentally to play. Yes it shouldn't matter when you should be the far better program but good pitching always can render the talent difference mute. Bad pitching which it sounds like NDSU had (throwing the ball down the middle of the plate) also renders the talent difference mute. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and move on. Remember Nebraska got beat at home by Northern Colorado and then pounded K-State in their next games. Let's see how the Bison respond to their embarrassing performance before jumping to conclusions. And remember they are young so they will be a bit inconsistent.

The men's basketball team lost a few games they should have won this season too. They had big leads that they let get away. More veteran teams don't lose very often when they lead by over 20 at the half.

boss
04-16-2006, 05:00 PM
I was a little optomistic about the team early on but now I will have to say I am embarrassed. I apologize to the players on the team as I'm sure they are giving it their all. There is absolutley no excuse to be 3-27 in any league with any schedule. baseball is a game where things can happen and a lesser team can win some games on a certain day (VCSU on Friday). You would think that in all of those close games they could have pulled one out. The team is still young but somebody needs to step up.

I'm sick of the excuses it is time to get the job done an start winning some games.

When I heard they lost to VCSU, and yes I heard the lefty was tough, I almost puked. Home opener, 75 degrees and sunny, coming off a million losses, how can you not come out and pound them. We lost some games to inferior teams over the years (Concordia, etc) but considering the circumstances you have to come out and crush them.

I know for a fact the hitting is nowhere near a Division I team. Chuck is doing well but that is just what Chuck does. 4 home runs in 30 games (3 the past DH) is pathetic. You have aluminum bats and somebody will have to get lucky and wrap one around a pole or something.

I am not going to say that the teams I played on would win a bunch of games but we would have a better shot with the lineups we had and get a good start from Peschel or others we would have won som games. Not sure if these teams have no chemistry or personality or what but something needs to get turned around.

Once again I don't want to sound like I am ripping on the guys too much but maybe it will fire them up a bit. No more excuses from the coaches/players and somebody emerge as a leader and come up wiht an outstanding start or a big hit or something, please.

I am starting to get embarrassed.
SDSU is winning games(and I know their schedule isn't as touhg but they are still winning some) and they were absolutely horrible 2 years ago.

Good luck the rest of the way

D_One_here_we_come
04-16-2006, 10:15 PM
I have a solution, recruit better players. Hopefully the new staff additions are getting this done and we can see the results next year.

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-17-2006, 02:48 AM
All things I said before about building the program aside, losing to Valley City State at home on your home opener at Newman is just embarrasing. I am honestly more embarassed by this loss than last year when we lost to Kansas and Kansas State 17-2 and 25-1 on back to back days. I know coaching plays a big part in shaping teams, but this loss is squarely on the players. You just have to jump on these teams when you have the chance for an easy win, because if you don't you are going to lose to a team like this. Hats of to VCSU for a great effort, but losing to an NAIA team is unacceptable, especially at home.

bison_baseball
04-17-2006, 02:07 PM
Plain and simple, *it was an embarrassing lost! Yes this team is young, *but you're in college now...living on your own and it's time to step up and start playing some quality baseball. This was a great opportunity to lift the team morale, get some guys hot with the sticks and turn things around after a tough weekend in Kansas. *But instead, you come out on your home opener and lose to a NAIA school. *You're supposed to be a D-I team, *I'd give my left n*t to be back in school and playing college baseball..but instead I'm stuck here in an office following the team over the internet. *You guys have to want to play, *each and every day...cause trust me, *once it's over...there's no going back! *

Sticks
04-17-2006, 08:28 PM
It's gotta be tough for alumni to watch/read about this team right now. *Guys like Mike Peschel, Big Brew and Chris Baso worked their a$$es off to make NDSU a year-after-year contender in the NCC (back in the day that is), and now they're losing to Valley City State?? *At home?? *Yeah, VCS has a couple of Canucks on their squad that can chuck it a little, but guys like that are all over the league at that level. *Somebody has gotta step up and make an adjustment.

I realize that there's learning curve that goes along with making a jump such as NDSU has made...you take a few lumps, and get beat BAD a few times. *Along with this trend should be the improvements that come with playing at a higher level. *Players/coaches get smarter, 18-19 yr old kids tend to come into their own as a player, and the team improves. *The problem is that none of the above are happening. *This season is shaping up to be as bad or worse than last, with no relief in sight. *I do know that the team has played really tough in some of these games, taking them down to the wire...but they're not wins. *You gotta find something/someone that gets you over the hump. *Find a guy that can seal the deal when you're up one late--find a guy that can come up in the clutch when you're down a couple....find something.

I also understand that it's only year two of this jump and that even baby steps are positives...but at what point do you draw the line and DEMAND better results from a program? *(don't panic, I'm not suggesting any administrative changes) *I feel for alumni that come on here and express their dissapointment. *It's gotta be tough having to watch the winning tradition that they helped build turn into a mockery. * I feel for you Boss!

boss
04-18-2006, 07:27 PM
I was a little riled up in my last post but I stand by what I said. It is very frustrating to see what is happening. It takes away what we did when we were there (other than winning the conference in '04 and that was the least talented team I played on we didn't do a whole lot but at least won).

I wish we could have played D1 to experience it. I know it isn't easy being on the long road trips and still being young but that is when a team can really come together on those long trips.

Like bison_baseball had said, most of us would LOVE to go back and do it again, make the most of your opportunity guys. Find a way to win. Winners will find a way to do it, no matter what it takes.

boss
04-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Also, in reply to JD3rd's comment about Freshmen and Sophomores being asked to contribute and having a tough time in the NCC.

I see them as middle-of-the pack in the NCC if they were still in it.

After 2 alumni games which the current bison were outlpayed even though they won this year (they should dominate it playing against guys that are not in shape and are likely hung over and haven't played in a few months). It is easy to see the talent isn't there, mainly offensively. Watching batting practice you see very few balls that would be doubles, less about 3 players.

Aluminum bats guys, no reason not to drive the ball.

bison_baseball
04-18-2006, 09:31 PM
I agree Boss...from what I saw at the alumni game and what I've seen over the internet, it just doesn't seem like the talent or the will to play DI is there. Maybe it's a different seen on the bench and or the locker room and I'm just being bias....but it is what it is! After watching the Kansas game online and catching a glimpse of the team being talked to after the game in right field by the coaching staff, you had kids (yes, I said kids) standing around, looking at their shoes, playing with the grass...like a bunch of 10 year olds. Maybe Mitch doesn't have the respect he deserves with the team and maybe the coaching staff needs to crack down on these guys. Mitch isn't there to make friends, he's there to lead a team and to coach them. At this point I really don't know what to say...sure travel is hard on these guys, but you've got to learn to overcome a long road trip, get off the bus and get ready to play. Heck, we drove to Georgia to play one spring break and I don't think there wasn't a guy on the team that hated every moment of that trip. When we left we were a bunch of athletes, playing college baseball...but when we got there, we had become a team and we were ready to play! Time to step up fella's, pick your heads up and represent your school!

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-19-2006, 02:13 AM
Also, in reply to JD3rd's comment about Freshmen and Sophomores being asked to contribute and having a tough time in the NCC.

I see them as middle-of-the pack in the NCC if they were still in it. *

After 2 alumni games which the current bison were outlpayed even though they won this year (they should dominate it playing against guys that are not in shape and are likely hung over and haven't played in a few months). *It is easy to see the talent isn't there, mainly offensively. *Watching batting practice you see very few balls that would be doubles, less about 3 players.

Aluminum bats guys, no reason not to drive the ball.
I agree with you that these guys shouldn't lose to the alumni, and a team cannot have back to back seasons like '05 and '06 without some talent issues, but the main thing I think sticks out to me is that this team has had absolutely no killer instinct and at least last year did not play with a sense of pride. Don't get me wrong, there are some guys on this team that really showed me last year that they are competitors and take pride in their work, but top to bottom there were a lot of guys that I got the sense just didn't have that fire. It just seemed that some guys were okay with going out and getting pounded because we were playing Kansas State, or we were playing Nebraska. In all honesty I don't care if they play the '27 Yankees and get smoked, but play with a sense of pride that you get to wear the Bison green and gold.

boss
04-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Good points JD3rd.

Hopefully they can keep the momentum and finish strong. I still have pride in the Bison and want them to succeed as much as anyone. I hope I didn't offend too many people with my previous posts.

austin
04-19-2006, 03:21 PM
I read in a earlier post that Mossey didn't play in the first game versus Valley City? Does anyone know why?

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-19-2006, 06:06 PM
He had some problems with a finger after trying to pick up a ground ball barehanded and then he pulled a muscle in his back and missed the SIU series, so they were probably just giving him some rest.