PDA

View Full Version : SDSU Series

Mr._Bill
04-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Any word from Brookings? Can't find any info??

SUILB#28
04-21-2006, 11:44 PM
Last I heard the Bison put up 5 in the 7th, and were up 12-9 after SDSU hit a homerun in the bottom half.

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-22-2006, 12:11 AM
I always pull for NDSU, but in this instance I really hope NDSU plasters the Jacks baseball team. *I've made no secret of the fact that I hold no liking for head coach Reggie Christiansen. *If it weren't for the fact that NDSU needs two series with SDSU and would be shooting themselves in the foot by leaving them off the schedule, I would say don't schedule them in baseball on principal. *They tried to get the series in Fargo moved to Brookings, after one series had already been played there last year, then left in the middle of a doubleheader once they got here. *Not a huge fan.

SUILB#28
04-22-2006, 12:16 AM
Really...I couldn't really tell last year. ;)

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-22-2006, 12:18 AM
SDSU 14, NDSU 12. *SDSU put up 2 in the bottom of the 7th and 5 in the bottom of the 8th to put the game away. *Let's get them tomorrow.

On a side note, I probably went a little overboard with the freaking out last year.

SUILB#28
04-22-2006, 12:32 AM
A little overboard? I think that was the type case for blowing a gasket. ;D Although, I think we could use some more of that. Hope we get em tomorrow.

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-22-2006, 02:15 AM
Point well taken. Let's get another win tomorrow and start a roll for the end of the season.

boss
04-22-2006, 03:28 AM
Do they still play in that popcorn park we played in during the '04 season??
that is ridiculous if they do.
what is it about 365 to center and 310 down the line?

gotta at least split

Sticks
04-22-2006, 04:06 PM
I always pull for NDSU, but in this instance I really hope NDSU plasters the Jacks baseball team. *I've made no secret of the fact that I hold no liking for head coach Reggie Christiansen. *If it weren't for the fact that NDSU needs two series with SDSU and would be shooting themselves in the foot by leaving them off the schedule, I would say don't schedule them in baseball on principal. *They tried to get the series in Fargo moved to Brookings, after one series had already been played there last year, then left in the middle of a doubleheader once they got here. *Not a huge fan.

Like you should talk--at least SDSU didn't leave in the middle of a conference tournament. You wanna talk about Bush League....

SDSUFAN
04-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Do they still play in that popcorn park we played in during the '04 season??
that is ridiculous if they do. *
what is it about 365 to center and 310 down the line?

gotta at least split

I am not sure if you are referring to Bob Shelden Field near Brookings High School or Erv Heuther Field on campus. *SDSU is in the process of building a new field on campus near Coughlin Alumni, football facility. Erv Heuther right next to Frost Arena, is now a parking lot. I dont know what Bob Shelden field is but its probably not that deep either so I guess this is the popcorn park that you are referring to. *Either way, improvement on facilities is in the works and has been needed for a long time. Sounds like the Bison threw your best yesterday with Williams. *gojacks.com has been carrying a link to KBRK, the local Brookings station that is doing the games. *Here is the link:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Broadcasts/Index.cfm

SiouxFallsJack
04-22-2006, 08:10 PM
Jacks win 1st game 10-2.

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-22-2006, 08:43 PM
It's good to hear that SDSU is building a new baseball facility, because no D-1 college team should have to play at a field like they did/do. Hopefully it will be a little closer to campus too, so that they can draw in a few more fans. At some point it would also be nice to scratch out a 'W' against these guys too, since I think the last time we did we were in D-2.

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-22-2006, 08:47 PM
For the record, this is what happened at the 2003 NCC tourney in Greeley, Col:
NDSU won it's opening game against N. Col., and their second game against Augustana was tied at 9 in the 9th inning when the game was postponed due to excessive snowfall. *The game was postponed for two days, and upon resuming the game, Augustana pushed across two runs to win the game, no problems there. *NDSU would have then played UNC in an elimination game to reach the championship game against Augustana. *However, even if NDSU had reached the title game and won, Augustana would have been declared the tourney champion because no team in the NCC is allowed to play 3 games in one day. *As such, 1 UNC and two AC games would put NDSU in this boat, so AC won by virtue of a higher seed. *NDSU left because they could not possibly win the tourney and our athletes were missing almost all of FINALS WEEK because of the delays. *If SDSU had been missing finals week to play us, I would not have even questioned the move, so I'm not sure how good of an analogy this is. *No matter what, it doesn't affect this year's series and I'm not sure that the fact I ran my trap too much about it last year really has any effect on the games either, so I'm going to try to focus on that.

Mr._Bill
04-22-2006, 09:20 PM
What the word on game 2?

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-22-2006, 09:43 PM
7-2 Bison heading to bottom 6th.

Mr._Bill
04-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Is the game on the net anywhere?

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-22-2006, 10:02 PM
SDSUfan posted this link earlier, and this is where I'm listening to it

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Broadcasts/Index.cfm

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Bison win 8-7 in 10. Sullivan HR in top 10th after NDSU blew 5 run lead to send it to extras.

SUILB#28
04-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Bison lose today 15-3.

boss
04-24-2006, 12:32 PM

Like you should talk--at least SDSU didn't leave in the middle of a conference tournament. *You wanna talk about Bush League....

Katohtr,

Don't get me started on that topic. We were already getting warmed up to play the next game vs. UNC after losing to Augie and all of the sudden Mitch calls the seniors (plus Pip and I) together to tell us that the administration is making us go home. There were a bunch of players that had finals and were being babies about it and they wanted to go back since there was no way we could win the tourney. Some of the guys (including some upperclassment taking it for the team, how tough would that be?? I respect the hell out of the couple guys that did that) that knew they weren't likely to get in the game offered to go back as they had to fill a certain amount of seats. Well the starters and about 2 pitchers all said that we would stay and make up the tests. Hell, I didn't care about 1 or 2 tests. If a professor was going to bend you over because you missed a test due to a school-sponsered event then they can go to hell. Anyway, what are you going to remember, maybe a grade up or down(and a lot of times your grade is pretty much locked in) or are you going to remember winning the conference tournament. We were in the conference tournament, you don't know when you might be back and I wanted to play more games with a great group of seniors that I though of as my own class most of the way up. Obviously everyone knows what happened and we left. It was ridiculous and I was furious.

The NCC commmissioner had the balls to say that we were doing the right thing and I basically told him to F*** off and we didn't wnat to hear that right now. My dad drove out to colorado and I offered to ride with him and bring anyone else so they didn't have to change flights. Brandon Olson's dad was on the phone with airlines. We could have won that damn tourney with our starters and a couple pitchers because that team had heart and we were a close group of guys that cared and had pride.

Well the group that had the early flight got delayed in Chicago and made it back to fargo about 10 minutes before the second group came in the next day so it was all worthless anyway.

Obviously I am still not over that one.

boss
04-24-2006, 12:38 PM
most people think we "quit". *that is not the case. *The real players had nothing to do with the decision.

NDSU and UND were easily the 2 best teams that year. UNC was super overrated.

sorry for being off topic moderator.

Sticks
04-24-2006, 02:47 PM
most people think we "quit". *that is not the case. *The real players had nothing to do with the decision.

NDSU and UND were easily the 2 best teams that year. *UNC was super overrated. *
I'm well aware of what when down at the NCC Tournament that year. *I've heard the reasoning for NDSU leaving from several people, most of them being NDSU players. *I know that there were problems dealing with weather and school work. *The point is that they left. SDSU left Newman last year because of weather related problems (and their head coach wanted to stick it to Mitch and Mongo). *

I also know that the players did not want to go home. *If my memory serves me correctly, I heard it took a fleet of clydesdales to pull guys like Peschel and "Boss" off the field and go home. *But you gotta admit that it didn't look very good for the NCC. *Unless you are an undisputed, "no-doubt" shoo-in for a Regional Tournament bid, you have to rely on a group of peers to "vote" you there. *When you have teams do what NDSU did that season (regardless of the reason behind it) it kinda hoses that entire conference. *Coaches that are on Regional boards see stuff like that, and you are only kidding yourself if you don't think that something like that would come into play when making a difficult decision of who to let in.

Anyways, that was my point--I didn't mean to stir you up Boss--I know that is (and probably always will be) a sore subject. *The fact is that it's was kind of a sore subject for us too. *Like you said, UND & NDSU were hands down the best teams in the conference that year even though neither team really played that way. Memory severing me correctly--you guys were on the outside of the fence looking in (literally) when it came down to the last weekend. *One bad hop and the flood gates opened--which got you guys to the NCC tournament. *It burned a little bit to see you guys come together as a team like that at our game, and then find out that you came home early--when you had gone in our place. *The story's straighten out, I know that it was out of your control--it's just like you said, I'm not really over it yet. *Many apologies for the way my last post came out, I just got flamed when I read JD3's post about SDSU leaving---got me thinking about this mess again. *

boss
04-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Many things could have been handled differently during that time. I agree it looks very bad because it is hard to understand for many people what happened. The NCC was always batttling to get a team in and that year sucked to see Duluth make it with 15 wins against crookston, morris, UW superior.

THe Bison were playing well with Peschel/Sather throwing and Asmus and Hendrickson both doing a good job too. UND had Scheving, Weiland, and King and good hitters as well. That's what happens in college baseball, if you don't play well throughout the whole year it will come back to bite you.

I don't blame the committe for not selecting us either. The NCC people also were FORCING us to send like 10 players home on the flight that left a couple hours after the augie game or they weren't paying for it.

I wouldn't want to be in your guys' shoes at that game with USD at the end with us there. Like I said things should have been handled differently but what's done is done.

Couldn't beat the Bison/Sioux games that's for sure.

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-24-2006, 10:35 PM
What should have happened in '03 was that the NCC should have been a little bit more flexible once everything went to crap with the scheduling. *If NDSU had won their games and one final game vs. AC was needed to decide it outright, then that game should have been scheduled for the next day instead of having a tie-breaker decide it. *The thing that makes me angry about the situation is that we weren't allowed to get out on the field and decide it. *Having gone through that ordeal made it so much sweeter to win it the next year, but it doesn't make up for our seniors who never got their shot.

For whatever it's worth, I think that it was UNC, not the NCC, who said if we didn't send 10 guys home on that flight they weren't going to pay for it. At the time I believe the NCC had a rule about hosting the tourney where if UNC won the regular season they had to pay to fly everyone out or the next highest seed would host because of UNC's location being so far from the other schools. I could be wrong on this, but I don't think I am.

Paulie
04-24-2006, 10:51 PM
What should have happened in '03 was that the NCC should have been a little bit more flexible once everything went to crap with the scheduling. *If NDSU had won their games and one final game vs. AC was needed to decide it outright, then that game should have been scheduled for the next day instead of having a tie-breaker decide it. *The thing that makes me angry about the situation is that we weren't allowed to get out on the field and decide it. *Having gone through that ordeal made it so much sweeter to win it the next year, but it doesn't make up for our seniors who never got their shot.

For whatever it's worth, I think that it was UNC, not the NCC, who said if we didn't send 10 guys home on that flight they weren't going to pay for it. *At the time I believe the NCC had a rule about hosting the tourney where if UNC won the regular season they had to pay to fly everyone out or the next highest seed would host because of UNC's location being so far from the other schools. *I could be wrong on this, but I don't think I am.

You are correct which is ironic because of all the issues with travel and NDSU trying to find a conference home. Would NDSU pay for travel for Big Sky teams as a concession for admission? UNC had to take that deal to get into the NCC back in 1982 or whatever it was but would NDSU be as willing?

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-25-2006, 03:12 AM
Hopefully NDSU wouldn't have to agree to that. I would think it would be less of a big deal for D-1 programs with bigger budgets than it was for a lot of the NCC schools, but you never know. UNC might even propose something like this as a subtle dose of payback.