PDA

View Full Version : BIG SERIES vs RIVAL SDSU!!

lakesbison
05-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Lets pack the NEWMAN this weekend!!

With the BIG WIN vs Gophers and the record attendance..... Im counting on you people
to support the baseball team vs SDSU Friday/Sat/Sun......

I just sent a check to Teammakers to fund baseball after last nights game!!

Chance to beat our RIVAL!!! the wascallly wabbit!!

Bring your favorite rabbit's foot and lets smoke them rabbits!!!!!!!!

89rabbit
05-04-2006, 04:48 PM
http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/NewsDetail55273.cfm?Id=46,5127

Jacks, Bison continue baseball rivalry in Fargo

The South Dakota State baseball squad (20-22) will renew acquaintances with rival North Dakota State this weekend at Newman Outdoor Field in Fargo.

The Jacks and Bison will play a single game Friday at 7 p.m., followed by a doubleheader Saturday (nine-inning, then seven-inning) at noon, and the finale of the series Sunday at 1 p.m.

SDSU took three of four from the Bison two weekends ago in Brookings, and won all five games on the field a year ago.

All four games of this weekend's series can be heard live on 1430 KBRK in Brookings. . . . (read more)

Link to this week's press release:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary/Page/News/DataInstances/3785/Files/222/050306.pdf

Go Jackrabbits! *:)

sambini
05-04-2006, 06:05 PM
LAKES THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jeffdaryl3rd
05-04-2006, 10:16 PM
It would be huge for NDSU to take 3 of 4 this weekend and continue to make a fairly successful end to the season. Keep up that intensity from Wednesday, and carry it through the end of the season.

boss
05-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Should be shooting for a sweep!
there is no better feeling than to yell out BISON, BISON, BISON, BISON after a 4 game series. (one bison for each win, not sure if they still do that). That seems to get guys fired up, it did for me.

go get 'em boys. I wish I could watch a game.

89rabbit
05-05-2006, 12:06 AM
Should be shooting for a sweep!

We are! *;)

. *. *. *.there is no better feeling than to yell out BISON, BISON, BISON, BISON after a 4 game series. *(one bison for each win, not sure if they still do that). *That seems to get guys fired up, it did for me.

It has been awhile since you guys have been able to do that, huh? *:'(

Go Jackrabbits! :)

boss
05-05-2006, 02:15 AM
Indeed it has 89bunny, indeed it has.

I'm sure it will be an evenly matched series.
My prediction is magadenz erupts in his final homestand.
10-22, 2 HR, 3 2b, 1 3b, 8 RBI
just because that's what Chuck does. can't wait to have him on the alumni

89rabbit
05-06-2006, 02:46 AM
Final Score from game 1

SDSU 9 - NDSU 5

jackmd
05-06-2006, 03:34 AM
Final Score from game 1

SDSU 9 - NDSU 5

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TheDoctor
05-06-2006, 05:07 AM
That was BRUTAL >:(! 2outs no one on in the top of the 5th Bison up big and it came like the flood of 1997! :'( I think the crowd of 127 thinned out to about 44 after that 57 minute half of an inning! Hopefully they were going home to rest up for tomorrows double header :P! Lets get them back with two wins tomorrow guys! 8-)

89rabbit
05-06-2006, 04:58 PM
If you can't be at the game you can listen (for free) to the Jackrabbit broadcast:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Broadcasts/Index.cfm

DenverBison05
05-06-2006, 11:34 PM
The Bison wins both games this afternoon.
Game 1: 5-4
Game 2: 5-4

jackmd
05-07-2006, 01:10 AM
The Bison wins both games this afternoon.
Game 1: 5-4
Game 2: 5-4

Close games, nice rivalry. The Big 10 really is miserable when it comes to DI baseball. The BSC doesn't offer the sport. Kids in the upper midwest now have the option to choose one of the SU's over a Big XII or MVC team. Continued stong showings against those conferences will help. A good rivalry will fuel that fire.

kchats
05-07-2006, 04:21 AM
Great wins today Bison! Let's win the game tomorrow too. :D

broke_back_mnt
05-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Good series. Go BISON.

Im watching game3 on GoBison video log. I havent really looked at my connections but the quality is kind of low for typical settings. Its very hard to see the baseball too, but its still fun to watch. I think the service is worth the $8/month.

Jeffdaryl3rd
05-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Two big wins yesterday, ensures us of at least a split. Let's go out make it 3 of 4.

Jeffdaryl3rd
05-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Bison win 8-7 on a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the 9th. The win means NDSU splits the season series with SDSU 4-4, which certainly makes me feel better than the way we got our tails handed to us by them last year.

89rabbit
05-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Great week for NDSU, first you beat Minnesota then you take 3 of 4 from us. *Way to come back strong, congrats. *Very disappointing series for us. *:( *Perhaps we will meet one more time to settle this in Sioux Falls at the D-I Independent Baseball Tournament.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/athletics/varsitysports/baseball/independenttournament/index.cfm

D_One_here_we_come
05-07-2006, 11:13 PM
Bison Baseball has won 4 of the last 5. There is something to say for playing at home! Keep it up and finish strong!

kchats
05-08-2006, 03:22 AM
Great job men. I noticed that Mitch McCleod was quoted in the paper over the weekend talking about bringing in some Junior College players next season. He said the jump from High School to division I baseball is too big. Haven't the Bison been playing alot of freshmen and sophomores the last couple of years? That would give the team some experience next season to help with the redshirt freshmen and freshmen (the baseball team does redshirt players don't they?).

Jeffdaryl3rd
05-08-2006, 04:29 AM
Generally speaking, baseball programs are built on players recruited out of high school, because you get to put them on the field for four years, as opposed to two for most JUCO transfers. However, JUCO guys add instant experience to your roster and can really help your record in the short-run, which theoretically allows you to recruit better players for the future. The baseball team does redshirt players, and getting a couple more JUCO guys would allow them the flexibility to redshirt more guys if they felt they needed to do so.

kchats
05-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks. I figured someone would know. I hope it works that way for the Bison.

sambini
05-09-2006, 12:52 AM
NICE WEEKEND BISON BASEBALL KEEP IT GOING+++++++++++++

BASEBALLFAN
05-09-2006, 10:24 PM
[quote author=kchats link=1146754915/15#19 date=1147058530I noticed that Mitch McCleod was quoted in the paper over the weekend talking about bringing in some Junior College players next season. *He said the jump from High School to division I baseball is too big. *Haven't the Bison been playing alot of freshmen and sophomores the last couple of years? *That would give the team some experience next season to help with the redshirt freshmen and freshmen (the baseball team does redshirt players don't they?).[/quote]
What a joke. I dare he blame the last two seasons on the players!!!! The players here have been greatly short changed by the lack of quality coaching in this program. The players he will get out of JC are not that much better than the ones he will get out of High School. The High School players just need a good Head Coach and staff to teach and prepare them to play D1 baseball and Mitch can't do that. Other D1 schools take a few JC players to fill a quick hole but as a whole they want to develope their own players. The two JC players just signed are only hitting .200 - .230 in JC. Do you really think thats going to translate into better numbers at the D1 level. And after Mitch gets a hold of them those will drop. Lets not let this get turned around a quallity program starts at the top and there is something wrong here.

jackmd
05-09-2006, 10:38 PM
What a joke. I dare he blame the last two seasons on the players!!!! The players here have been greatly short changed by the lack of quality coaching in this program. The players he will get out of JC are not that much better than the ones he will get out of High School. The High School players just need a good Head Coach and staff to teach and prepare them to play D1 baseball and Mitch can't do that. Other D1 schools take a few JC players to fill a quick hole but as a whole they want to develope their own players. The two JC players just signed are only hitting .200 - .230 in JC. Do you really think thats going to translate into better numbers at the D1 level. And after Mitch gets a hold of them those will drop. Lets not let this get turned around a quallity program starts at the top and there is something wrong here.

Interesting first post on the board. *We will see what comes of this. *Somes points to ponder but somewhat poorly presented and therefore may not get the intelligent and insightful reply he seeks.

Sticks
05-10-2006, 02:47 PM

Interesting first post on the board. *We will see what comes of this. *Somes points to ponder but somewhat poorly presented and therefore may not get the intelligent and insightful reply he seeks.

Although there might be poor presentation here.....this guy's not too far off. *The "Doctor" *;D, *is not exactly what I would call a "great baseball mind" (sorry PA & Dubay). *I've made acquaintences with several former Bison baseball players, and maybe two of them had good things to say about the guy (in regards to his coaching talents).

Mitch is not a good teacher of the game, and when it comes to the "X's & O's" (for lack of better term) he leaves something to be desired. *He really should be more of a "manager" then a head coach; take care of the administrative stuff with the program. *He's got a great asset in Steve Montgomery--I think he should use him a little more. Mongo's seen a LOT of quality baseball, and has had the privledge of being side by side with Doug Simunic.

boss
05-10-2006, 04:21 PM
The last two seasons falls both on players and coaches. It is hard to put young kids in that situation and expect them to win, even if they are talented. I am glad to see that the boys stepped it up the past two weeks. Especially hats off to Jake Laber (independent pitcher of the week).

One thing I will stand behind Mitch is his hitting philosophy. I thought it made sense and was easy to learn. Some guys are just too stubborn to try something and don't like the fact that you have to teach your body something new. I thought it worked for me. Each guy has to be responsible for knowing the basic mechanics of it and adjusting to what suits their swing. It seems that there was a conflict in hitting styles between the coaches this year from what I hear.

We all know Mitch is not perfect with a lot of aspects and the biggest problem was recruiting the last 4 years and not being set up with veteran players for the transition. Hopefully the younger guys keep getting better. If we could have got a few more good JuCo guys it would have made the transition easier and some freshmen could have redshirted.

It definately is not an easy job.

Jeffdaryl3rd
05-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Since we have the hitting perspective, I'll just chime in and say that on the pitching side of things, Mongo is a pretty easy guy to learn from and a lot of what was taught before he got there was the same stuff he teaches. *Bottom line, I'm not saying we have the Yankees coaching staff, but if the players are willing to listen, ask questions and work at it they will get much better by working with this staff. *Despite the record I think the team has shown marked improvement this year and should be better again next year. *Yeah, a couple more JUCO guys would definitely have helped set up the transition a little bit better, but it would have been rough anyway and it is hard to recruit D-I quality JUCO guys as a D-II or D-I transition school. *Also it doesn't help that the 2003 freshman class (would be seniors this year without redshirting) had only 3 guys (Zimmerman, Thielke and Magedanz) make it to this season mostly because of injuries or apathy. *All in all, I think the program is pointed in the right direction though.