PDA

View Full Version : Bison Recruits

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-19-2006, 06:12 PM
NDSU signed five guys during the most recent signing period, adding to the transfer they inked in the fall. I don't really know anything about any of these guys, but I know and played for the head coach at Iowa Lakes (Jason Nell) where one of these guys is from and he is an excellent coach, for whatever that is worth. Here is the link:

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=12103&SPID=706&DB_OEM_ID=24 00&ATCLID=269436

lakesbison
04-20-2006, 02:02 AM
wow.. very disappointing.... based on numbers... maybe 1 solid STUD..

1 player from Minnesota?? Twin cities alone should have 4-5 STUD baseball recruits..

Im sad for Mitch..

Ricky Hellfinger has good numbers

Breden Oconner = 4 of 6 runners thrown out?? what did they play, 12 games? Penn aint much of a hotbed for baseball....

Ben Breischar = Prior Lake.. SOLID RECRUIT in Tribune

David Williams = .275???? COME ON!!!

Josh Rohri batted .230??? ha ha

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-20-2006, 02:54 AM
The thing to keep in mind about this is that typically NDSU hasn't signed a lot of guys until the summer when the big-time schools have passed on them. I would expect their signing of Minnesota players to continue in this manner, but then again what do I know.

tony
04-21-2006, 06:24 AM
Bison recruit (O'Connor) gets some ink. (http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060421/SPORTS/604210339)

Actually, it does sound like Pennsylvania likes its HS baseball.

imported_admin
04-28-2006, 06:47 AM
Another story on the PA recruit. (http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060428/SPORTS/604280326)

sambini
04-29-2006, 01:48 AM
WELCOME TO NDSU AND GOOD LUCK+++++++++++++++

nodakbisonfan
06-28-2006, 03:45 AM
Well all I have to say is that recruiting at NDSU blows my mind. If I remember correctly we are the state Land Grant institution, but we are definetly not acting like it as far as baseball recruiting goes. I have watched SO many quality North Dakota players go unnoticed by NDSU and I think it is time to change. I know a guy that wasn't approached by SU, but was of course by UND and is now hitting .398 in the NAIA(wood bats). Not even approached once! This is ridiculous, and there definetly needs to be a change and soon.

Mr._Bill
06-28-2006, 05:27 AM
That is the stat that jumped out at me also in the 10 recruits. Zero ND players. There should always be an emphsis to sign the best from ND. No knock on the players that were signed, but I am not happy about this either. I like the fact that there is some national recruiting, but there should be some ND effort.

NebraskaBISON
06-28-2006, 05:46 PM
It's not like North Dakota is loaded with talent. Sure, every year there may be a couple players from ND that could play D1, but not many. I don't think NDSU is passing on too many guys that would actually help.

Sticks
06-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Well all I have to say is that recruiting at NDSU blows my mind. *If I remember correctly we are the state Land Grant institution, but we are definetly not acting like it as far as baseball recruiting goes. *I have watched SO many quality North Dakota players go unnoticed by NDSU and I think it is time to change. *I know a guy that wasn't approached by SU, but was of course by UND and is now hitting .398 in the NAIA(wood bats). *Not even approached once! *This is ridiculous, and there definetly needs to be a change and soon. *
Does this guy currently play at UND? What's his name....I would interested to see who he is if he plays at UND.

Mr._Bill
06-28-2006, 09:50 PM
It's not like North Dakota is loaded with talent. *Sure, every year there may be a couple players from ND that could play D1, but not many. *I don't think NDSU is passing on too many guys that would actually help.

You can't tell me that there aren't 2-3 players from Minot/Bismarck/Fargo/GF/anytown, etc . . . programs that aren't D1 prospects for NDSU? Last year Kyle Carr (Linton) was a great prospect signed by the Gophers and drafted. Maybe they tried to sign some ND players, I don't know. But it doesn't appear so.

Baseball shouldn't be as out-of-state as softball, as there is a lot of baseball played in ND.

NebraskaBISON
06-28-2006, 11:11 PM
To quote myself, I said "sure there are a couple". And there also are a couple studs that are above NDSU's level. They're gonna make the most of their opportunity and go play for a bigtime program if they can. The whole point being there are a few ND kids, but for the most part, not a lot. When NDSU left D2, they also said goodbye to many of the feel-good, play for the team you grew up watching stories. Those guys are gonna have to sign on with Jamestown's and Mary's of the world.

RxBison
06-29-2006, 02:33 AM
Nebraska Bison is right. *D-I baseball talent is slim to none in ND. *If there is one or two, you have Minnesota and Nebraska to compete with, and they have more scholarship money to give.

NDSU shouldn't sign ND guys just to sign guys in ND or because they're the best ND has. *Our best isn't D-I. *Check out Dickinson State's baseball roster. *ONE GUY from ND and the other 31 from California mostly, Canada, or somewhere else out west.

Mary had 10 guys from ND but had like a 45-man roster, and Valley had 10 but a lot of canadians who played.

I don't care where they come from, the Bison baseball team needs more talent and should go get it wherever it is.

Aroundthehorn
06-29-2006, 03:20 AM
Agreed with RxBison.. I think Mitch needs to look west for once. He's passed on (or not even looked at) too many talented players over the past years that have been ND natives. And no Bryce Klein wasn't the answer and a bad representation of North Dakota players.

sambini
06-29-2006, 04:35 AM
GITTER DONE++++++++++

Wacker_in_the_Hall
06-29-2006, 04:37 AM
Couple of points......First of all based on the teams record, Could we have done any worse with North Dakota kids????????????

Second--in fairness to Mitch, it is tough to recruit baseball kids here with no scholarship money. He has 4-5 rides to be split amongst 20-25 kids. Tough sell........

buffalobilljr
06-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Couple of points......First of all based on the teams record, Could we have done any worse with North Dakota kids????????????

Second--in fairness to Mitch, it is tough to recruit baseball kids here with no scholarship money. He has 4-5 rides to be split amongst 20-25 kids. *Tough sell........
If we don't fully fund a sport, it's probably not the coach that's at fault. FUND BASEBALL FULLY OR DROP IT!!! I favor funding to the max allowed.

Mr._Bill
06-29-2006, 11:35 PM

Second--in fairness to Mitch, it is tough to recruit baseball kids here with no scholarship money. He has 4-5 rides to be split amongst 20-25 kids. *Tough sell........

What are you saying, only the out of state kids will get any schollies? Sound like when I played. If you had ND after your hometown it was 1 strike against you.

Mr._Bill
06-29-2006, 11:38 PM

If we don't fully fund a sport, it's probably not the coach that's at fault. FUND BASEBALL FULLY OR DROP IT!!! I favor funding to the max allowed. *

Let's increase the funding, but dropping a core sport like BaseB is not an option. Besides, we have great facilities and a conference coming. I could see NDSU winning the conference and making the ncaa's someday soon.

BASEBALLFAN
06-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Let's face it, there are alot of factors out there that are going to keep the top DI players from coming to NDSU. That is why NDSU needs to have a coaching staff that can take that lower level DI player and work them into that top level player. These players coming in out of high school still have alot of room for improvement. Except for the pitching coach NDSU's coaching staff is terrible. They are game coaches (and not very good there ether) not motivators and developmental coaches that this program needs to be successful. Just because their from out west dosn't make them better players. It still takes good all around coaching to put to gether a top DI team.

sambini
06-30-2006, 02:49 PM
LETS FUND IT FULLY+++++++++++++++++++ AND CONGRATS TO OSU ON THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS++++++++++

Jeffdaryl3rd
07-02-2006, 05:33 PM
The major problem with recruiting D-I baseball players from northern states, particularly ND, SD, MT, isn't even necessarily that there are no D-I calibre players. Proportionally there are probably just as many as in a lot of other states, but most recruiters and scouts will tell you that the average player at a good HS program in a northern state is about a year or two behind an average player at a southern HS in terms of development. And let's face it, not all the programs up here are GOOD programs. So from my perspective it isn't that there aren't quality D-I players in ND, it's just that when you dip into that talent pool it is almost like trying to project a group of HS So./Jr's to college, which is pretty tough, so unless somebody like Carr, Jake Laber, etc. really jumps off the page at a coach, it is probably pretty difficult to commit to signing a player.