PDA

View Full Version : Redhawks

valpotx
08-09-2006, 02:48 PM
I was just curious if any of you follow the FM Redhawks (?) much at all, and if you remember a player named Ray Clark a few seasons ago? *He is a good friend of mine, as we played HS ball together on varsity for 4 years before we went our separate ways for college, him to win a national championship at UT, and me playing at Valpo.

Another friend of mine was Ben King, and just curious how he did as well.

Sticks
08-09-2006, 03:54 PM
I remember both of the guys you mentioned. *

Ray Clark was drafted in 2002 by the New York Yankees. *A 14th round pick (426th overall) he started with Low Class A Stanten Island of the New York Penn League where he went 3-0 in 5 starts with a 1.97 ERA. *In 2003 he was moved to another Class A team in Battle Creek of the Midwest League. *There he compiled a 8-7 record in 19 starts with a 3.55 ERA. *That same season he was moved up to high A with the Tampa Yankees of the Florida State League featuring a 2-1 record in 5 starts with a 3.76 ERA before being released. *He then signed a contract and pitched all of 2004 for the Redhawks before "retiring" from professional baseball. *In Fargo he posted a 7-3 mark, with a 4.14 ERA in 13 starts. *Ray was battling arm problems the last month of the season in FM.

Ben was drafted twice (Arizona 1999, New York 2002) but I could only find stats for 2004 before he was released (2 IP *10.75 ERA). *I remember he made two REALLY short stints with the Redhawks. *Signed as a pitcher in 2004, Ben made the transition to outfield after injuries plagued FM. *In only his second game in RF, Ben suffered a partial tear (?) in his hamstring and left the Redhawks for the rest of the season. *Re-signed in 2005 as an outfielder, Ben reaggravated the same hamstring and left before spring training was over. *I did some research and found out that he was picked up by Calgary (Independent Northern League) later that same year and apparently played well there (couldn't find any statistics) as they sold his contract to the Philadelphia Phillies. *I can't find him on any of their affilate rosters, so I would assume that he's been sent home....but I don't know that for sure.

Hope this helps.

BisonBacker
08-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Nice Post Kato, you obviously follow BaseBall kudo's to you.

valpotx
08-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the added information about their FM careers. *I knew Ray had all of the prior experience before going to FM (Yankee system, etc), as well as what has happened since, but he has never told me how he did in Fargo, and I had never checked. *It is unfortunate that he had to retire, as he was a very good pitcher, and it never made sense why he was cut by the Yankees. *The only comment I received from him when he came back after that season with FM, was that he watched my school get its butt kicked by NDSU in football at the dome. *Though his career is done professionally, he has been a great asset to my adult baseball semi-pro team (most teams don't like to face him), and still remains a good friend.

Same thing with Ben, knew he was drafted out of HS here, went to Alabama, transferred to UT, etc., but never heard what he has done since FM. *He went to my rival HS, and we played summer seasons together.

Does Kelly Gulledge still play up there? *I played against him as well, and the last I heard he was still at FM.

Sticks
08-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Sorry about the extra stuff....wasn't sure how much information you wanted on the two.

After two RIDICULOUS years in FM, unfortunately Kelley Gulledge is no longer a part of the Redhawks. *In 2004, Gulledge hit .320 with 8 HR and 55 RBI's. *A first team Independent Baseball America (quite the feat considering how many Independent leagues there are), starting catcher for the Northern League All-Star game, and slated as the best catcher in all of Independent Baseball, this guy was an absolute stud and FM was lucky to have him. *After his 2004 season, his contract was purchased by the Milwakee Brewers, and they immediately assigned him to Triple-A. *From what I understand, he actually was doing quite well in AAA Nashville (sorry, couldn't find stats), but the squad RELEASED him to make room for VETERAN PAT BORDERS.....can you believe that?? *If you've ever seen Gulledge play (and know who Pat Borders is to boot), you'd know that this move wasn't exactly a bright one.

Gulledge re-signed with the Redhawks for 2005, and he didn't dissappoint. *Hitting .321 with 10 HR and 40 RBI's, Gulledge again earned a trip to the NL All-Star game (starting C), made the first team Independent Baseball America team again, and was listed as Independent Baseball's best catcher....AGAIN. *Oh yeah, I almost forgot....he did all of this despite missing almost the entire month of June to a broken thumb!!! *Following the season, his contract was again purchased by another big league affiliate, this time it was the Cincinnati Reds.

Like you, I've tried to catch up on some info on Gulledge and his whereabouts. *I THOROUGHLY enjoyed watching this guy play. *Unfortunately, the trail that I've been following just comes to an end with his signing to the Louisville Bats (AAA Cincinnati). *My guess (and of course that's all it is) is that he was eventually released by the 'Bats,' and decided to hang em' up....although I KNOW this guy could still help a ball club somewhere win games.

valpotx
08-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks a lot for that information, didn't know any of that :-). No issues with you supplying previously known information on my friends either, I was just stating that those points are where I left off on their careers.

It wouldn't make sense to me why those organizations wouldn't have kept Kelley around longer, maybe even moving him to AA for more work?!? He is a pretty young guy, I think just a year or 2 older than me (I am 25), so it amazes me that someone is not willing to give him more of a chance.

You are correct about the situation with Pat Borders, that is ridiculous. I think Pat is close to 44-45 years old now?

It is good to hear that you enjoyed watching Kelley play, as he was really good in HS as well. I have been fortunate to play alongside/against a lot of guys similar to this, having grown up in DFW, TX, but I would say Kelley is right up there in talent.

sambini
08-10-2006, 03:44 AM
Nice job Kato. How do you think the Hawks will do this year in the playoffs?

Sticks
08-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks guys....

I believe that the 'Hawks' will fair pretty well this year in the playoffs...this might be their year to get NL Championship #3. *

If you recall last season, the Redhawks set a league record for wins in a season, and breezed through their first 5 games in the NL playoffs. *It was then that the Gary Southshore Railcats turned it on winning the remaining three games of the series to capture their first NL crown.

I think this year FM is SOLID in too many areas to have a “let down.” *Whether we’re talking pitching or hitting, the ‘Hawks’ have league leaders in nearly every category.

Let's start with the offense....the Redhawks have SIX guys in their starting lineup hitting over .300. * Ignited by leadoff man, Joe Mathis (who somehow has found the “fountain of youth” hitting at a clip of .342, also league leader in hits (102)) the Redhawks have usually started the scoring early and often. *Newcomer Jesse Hoorelbeke is right behind him at .341 and also leads the league in HR (21) and RBI (65), and his average is .002 points behind the league leader, so we have a potential triple-crown winner on our hands here folks. *Rueben Salazar is having a “typical” Rueben type of season hitting .305 and driving in 58 runs. Then there’s Richard Austin who was picked up by FM last year after spending 3 seasons in the Frontier League. *Since Austin’s arrival in the Northern League he’s done nothing but impress. *Last years NL All-Star game MVP is hitting .289 with 12 HR and 51 RBI…Picking up Harry Berrios last month was a stroke of genius by GM Josh Bucholz and staff. *Since his acquisition, Berrios is hitting .307 with 11 RBI’s in 18 games. *Nice addition to an already potent offense…I could go on, but I’m guessing you see my point.

FM as a team is hitting .288, has 50 more hits and 50 more runs than the next best.

Pitching has also been pretty strong.

Longtime Redhawk Todd George is tied with Mark Michael for staff best in wins with 7, and is fourth in the league with a 2.98 ERA. *NDSU product Mike Peschel was just moved back into the starting rotation after a month of pitching from the pen. *In Peschel’s last two starts he’s 2-0, allowed 1 run on 8 hits, and struckout 12 in 14.1 innings which moves his record to 6-3…looks like he’s back to his old self. *Brandon Goltz (also an NDSU product) is 5-1 with a 3.56 ERA (which is good enough to crack the top ten for ERA), and last years POY Brandon Culp is hanging in there at 6-5 (5.05 ERA). *These guys turn the ball over to a couple of the best “pen men” in the league in Josh Gray (4-0 *2.54 *4 SV) and Brian Adams (2-1 *2.92 *9 SV).

These guys will be tough to beat in a 5 games series when you end up having to face Todd George (and possibly Peschel) twice and go through that lineup that many times?!?! :o

That’s my assessment Sambo…

Good Luck Hawks!!

sambini
08-11-2006, 12:22 AM
Thanks again Kato+++++++++++

Tatanka
08-12-2006, 02:00 AM
++

met1990
08-12-2006, 06:17 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/136250

Jesse Hoorelbeke may have played his last game with the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks.

The Chicago Cubs organization expressed interest Friday in purchasing the Northern League All-Star’s contract and sending Hoorelbeke to Double-A with a chance to move to Triple-A...

I caught the game earlier this year where Hoorelbege jacked four homers in his first four at-bats. It was impressive. I wish him luck.

sambini
08-12-2006, 10:12 PM
+++++++++++++++++

Tatanka
08-13-2006, 12:50 AM
Caught the 6pm sports tonight. Hoorelbeke is now a small bear, a chub, a scrub, a Cub. Or at least he's in their farm system. Good Luck Jesse!

Also best of luck to Doug Simunic as he tries to replace Hoorelbeke at 1B. Not very likely he'll find as good a player, both offensively and defensively.

Sticks
08-14-2006, 03:28 PM
Good luck indeed...

This is no doubt a blow to the Redhawks losing their biggest offensive threat. *Fortunately they have enough solid bats in the lineup to continue running the offense smoothly....I don't think they'll miss a beat.

TheDoctor
09-02-2006, 04:03 PM
KATO...... I AM NOT WORTHY! ;D You are the man seriously though! Anyone who knows that much about their team in golden in my book.

Tatanka
09-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Redhawks playoffs -- Tues Sep 6 and Wed Sep 7 vs the carp (Winnipeg Goldeyes). tickets cheap. get you to a game!

sambini
09-04-2006, 04:55 PM
FIVE BUCKS A SEAT++++++++++++

roadwarrior
09-12-2006, 02:17 AM
I am surprised Kato hasnt posted an update on the Redhawks playoffs, but after being down 2 games to none to Winnipeg, they won the last 3 games to win the series with a win in the bottom of the ninth in Fargo last night!

sambini
09-12-2006, 04:08 AM
GOOD LUCK REDHAWKS IN GARY++++++++++++

Sticks
09-12-2006, 02:10 PM
I have been slacking a little....I didn't think anybody was reading them.

What a great comeback in the north divisional series!!! I'll post something tonight or tomorrow about the North Divisional Series and also game 1 of the Championship Series (which is tonight, 7:05 @ Gary).

Good Luck Hawks!!!

Bisonguy
09-12-2006, 07:49 PM
I have been slacking a little....I didn't think anybody was reading them.

Almost 600 views on this thread. Somebody has been reading it. :)

Sticks
09-14-2006, 12:13 AM
For those of you that haven’t been keeping up with the Redhawks the last 2-3 weeks…here’s what’s been going on.

As you well know, the Redhawks won both halves of the 2006 with a record of 63-33. *First round of the playoffs brought the Wild Card winning Winnipeg Goldeyes into Fargo for games one and two. *In game 1 the Goldeyes blanked F-M 8-0 behind a solid pitching performance from Winnipeg starter Luis Villareal. *Fargo had one hit, a Craig Ringe single in the fifth. *Game 2 found the Redhawks down 2-1 after the first inning. *Two more, two run innings in the third and fifth put the Redhawks down by five before they got one back in the bottom half to bring it to 6-2. *F-M would battle, getting a two run single from Harry Berrios in the bottom of the ninth, but that would be all they could muster losing 6-4.
Individual Stars : *Harry Berrios 3-4, *BB *3 RBI * Rueben Salazar 2-5 RBI * *Kory Wayment 2-4

This sent the Redhawks up to Winnipeg for games three and four down 2-0…

In game 3 Todd George took the mound for F-M to try and keep the Hawks alive. *For 7 *2/3 innings he kept Goldeye hitters at bay, blanking them and allowing only 3 hits. *Redhawks win 2-0 on a Scott Goodman homerun in the fifth (his 1st), and Kory Wayment doubled home Craig Ringe, who had walked and stole second in the ninth. *Harry Berrios also had a hit and a walk for F-M. *Game 4 was a barn burner as the Goldeyes struck first with a run in the opening frame. *F-M stormed back in the top of the second with a 3-run homerun from Scott Goodman. *The blast was his second in as many nights. *The lead was short lived though, as the Goldeyes got a pair of runs in the bottom half to tie it up at three. *Fargo went to their bullpen early bringing Mike Peschel in with first and second, one out in the second inning. *Mike would get out of the jam and continue to pitch strong giving the Redhawks 5 scoreless innings. *The scored remained tied at 3 until a hit from Brent Krause in the eighth got things going. *Krause stole second and was singled home two at-bats later by Richard Austin. *The extra run would hold up as Brandon Culp (who got the ball in the seventh) shut the Goldeyes down in the last 3 frames. *Redhawks win 4-3, Series tied at 2. *Scott Goodman *3-4 *3 RBI * Richard Austin * 2-3 RBI

Back to Fargo for game 5…

Game 5 started off much like games 1 and 2…Fargo was trailing 2-0 after the fourth and it stayed that way till the home half of the seventh. *Rueben Salazar and Richard Austin got things going with a walk, and a single, respectively. *After a pitching change, reliever Ken Chenard walked Harry Berrios to load the bases. *Chenard struckout Allan Mottram before being lifted in favor of Josh Kite. *This again set up series hero Scott Goodman who drove in his 5th & 6th postseason RBI’s with a game tying single down the left field line. *The combination of Brian Adams and Mark Micheal held the Goldeyes scoreless through the next two innings giving F-M a shot to win “walk-off” style in the ninth. *Austin singled to start the inning off, and moved up to second on a ground out by Berrios. *Mottram was intentionally walked and both runners moved up on another ground out by Goodman. *Craig Ringe was hit by a pitch loading the bases with two outs (tell me how many kids have dreamt of this moment??) *Kory Wayment became the hero of the day with a line drive single to right, sending everyone home happy; F-M wins 3-2. *Redhawks win the series in 5 after losing the first two, the same way that now opponent Gary defeated the Schaumburg Flyers last week...which...is exactly the same way that Gary defeated our Redhawks in the NL Championships Series last season……hmmmmmm :-?

Sticks
09-14-2006, 12:29 AM
NL Championship Series

Game 1 was ALL Gary. *Not a whole lot to really tell you. *Railcats starter Willie Glen pitched a gem throwing a 3 hit shutout striking out 12. *Brandon Goltz suffered the loss giving up 5 runs on 6 hits in 1 2/3 *innings as the Redhawks lost 5-0. *The game was delayed an hour and 51 minutes due to rain.

…it sounds like it’s raining again tonight. Top of 2nd * *1-0 Gary. *1st inning homerun given up by Todd George.

sambini
09-15-2006, 04:33 AM
Thanks Kato, do you think they can get it done?

Sticks
09-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks Kato, do you think they can get it done?

They are in real good shape right now. They've played Gary TOUGH at home in recent history, and they've got my boy Peschel throwing tonight. Was REALLY big that they snuk out with a win in Wednesday night's game. Coming home down 2-0 would have been miserable. This way they can get it done in front of the home town crowd.

Pitching matchup is NDSU product Mike Peschel (9-4 4.03) vs. Jason Shelley (12-8 3.75)

If you've got nothing better to do tonight, may I suggest taking in a ballgame?? Attendance is really ishtty in the postseason for some reason, so if you can......GO! First pitch is 7:05

sambini
09-20-2006, 02:22 AM
Thanks Kato for your insight. And congrats to the FM REDHAWKS 2006 NORTHERN LEAGUE CHAMPIONS+++++++++++

valpotx
09-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Has F-M ever tried to be an affiliate for a MLB team?