PDA

View Full Version : what a GAME 7.. NLCS!!

lakesbison
10-20-2006, 03:24 AM
Dam.. 1st Mets left field ROBS a homerun from Scott Rolen in spectacular fashion!!

then cards pitcher hasnt given up a hit since 1st inning.

then Molina with a HUGE 9th inning Home Run

D A Y U M!!!

sambini
10-20-2006, 06:12 AM
WAY TO GO REDBIRDS ++++++++++ tHE bUD IS FLOWING IN ST. LOUIS TONITE.

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-20-2006, 06:53 AM
I hate the fact that these games are broadcast on FOX. Tim McCarver doesn't have a clue what he is rambling about up in the booth and their radar guns are so ridiculously juiced that I can hardly stand it. Anyway, go Cardinals, boo Tim McCarver.

Sticks
10-23-2006, 02:43 PM
I hate the fact that these games are broadcast on FOX. *Tim McCarver doesn't have a clue what he is rambling about up in the booth and their radar guns are so ridiculously juiced that I can hardly stand it. *Anyway, go Cardinals, boo Tim McCarver.

I will second all of this.

McCarver has been on my most hated list since his bias in the 91' World Series. Him, coupled with the blandness of Joe Buck (I think it would take 5 grand slams in the same inning to get him excited) has me reaching for the mute button on frequent occasions.

Who died and made Joe Buck the tv commentator god?

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-23-2006, 06:26 PM
I think Buck is okay at best and I can handle him, but McCarver is the worst announcer going and makes Buck that much worse by association.

bisonaudit
10-24-2006, 12:46 AM

Jack Buck.

sambini
10-24-2006, 03:39 AM
Jack Buck was great. And will see you tomorrow nite after Kirbys homerun .I'LL never forget it.

Sticks
10-25-2006, 04:29 PM

Jack Buck.

Hah Hah * ::)...(I knew this one was coming)

Jack Buck was one of the best there was, if not THEE best....I don't think Joe could carry his jockstrap.

Does he really get a free pass just because of who his old man was, or do you guys have a completely different opinion of Joe Buck and his skills?

Sticks
10-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Jack Buck was great. And will see you tomorrow nite after Kirbys homerun .I'LL never forget it.

Cosinged Sambo....

I still get chills when I see replays of that magical moment..... :)

bisonaudit
10-25-2006, 05:56 PM

Jack Buck.

Hah Hah * ::)...(I knew this one was coming)

Jack Buck was one of the best there was, if not THEE best....I don't think Joe could carry his jockstrap.

Does he really get a free pass just because of who his old man was, or do you guys have a completely different opinion of Joe Buck and his skills?

Joe is a good broadcaster but he's not Jack. He's not even Bob. He could be the 3 best broadcaster ever (I wouldn't agree with this arguement) and he'd still be the 3rd best broadcaster from St. Louis.

He and McCarver do good baseball for the masses and I think that their tone and topics are about right for a wide audience and nationally televised games. IMO This is a completely different thing than what's required of a local broadcast team so if you watch a lot of whoever your favorite club is the national guys approach is going to be quite different and probably off putting.

I know a Cards fan who lives and StL and in the local context he said Joe was quite good but naturally could never measure up to his father.

Joe doing football on the other hand is a complete disaster. His Randy Moss fake moon blow up was a total joke. I'm no Moss appoligist, I'm glad he's gone and he's a locker room cancer, but Joe Buck was just looking for an excuse to go off on the guy. My impression was that his whole bit was completely fake as well as totally unhinged. It's a good thing he wasn't seeking the Democratic nomination for president at the time.

Between that and the latest round of commercials with the guys trying to do his voice... My respect for Joe is plumeting.

Long story short. Respectable but by no means outstanding.

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-26-2006, 03:32 PM
It is a travesty that Tim McCarver is the man providing "insight" into the most important games played during the baseball season. There was a game during the NLCS (not sure which game, but John Mayne was pitching) where a 7-pitch sequence to Albert Pujols was described as "six straight fastballs and a double down the line one the first breaking-ball." Now to the untrained eye, this description would be perfectly acceptable, but I clearly saw 3 breaking-balls, 1 changeup, and 3 fastballs in no particular order. Now, mistaking a changeup for a fastball at a glance is pretty easy to do, and one of the breaking balls was a nice short little slider and might be an excusable mistake, but come on Tim. You were a catcher in the big leagues for 15 years, get a clue. McCarver might hold weight amongst the general public, but he is an absolute joke amongst baseball circles.

STC_TFA
10-27-2006, 05:54 AM
3-1 St.Louis finish off those Tigers.........

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-27-2006, 02:33 PM
In spite of my rant earlier (McCarver is still awful), last night's game was probably the best I've heard McCarver for a while. *Actually provided a couple nice insights.

bisonaudit
10-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Great game last night!

Statistical nugget on the Detroit pitching staff.

They were in the bottom quarter of the league in fielding for the 2006 regular season with 15 errors committed by the pitching staff. Mets were worst w/ 20.

The Cardinal staff committed just 7 errors all year, placing them in the top 1/4 of the league.

The gross number of errors is likely not the best guage of defensive ability but the data was available and I could get through it over lunch.