PDA

View Full Version : Bison hire new/old assistant coach

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-10-2007, 05:33 AM
Assistant head coach BJ Griffith bailed on NDSU to take a job back home and NDSU is bringing in former Bison player and coach Blair Tweet to replace him for the duration of the season. *Great to see Blair back in the fold at NDSU. *I always really liked Tweeter and he is definitely a nice complement to Mitch on the bench in addition to being a great baseball man. *I don't have any experience with departing coach Griffith, but Blair I think this is an excellent move for the upcoming season.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=12103&SPID=706&DB_OEM_ID=24 00&ATCLID=743603

Sticks
01-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Is Mongo still there?

cmav
01-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Mongo is still there, yes. Griffith was a great guy and a great coach, but he always wanted to be in Texas. I'm surprised he stayed as long as he did in Fargo. Good luck to you, BJ!

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-10-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm just glad he hung around long enough to leave the team right before the season. No problem making a decision before the start of the year or after the season is over, but the timing of this decision kind of irks me a bit. Having said that, glad to have Blair back on board. Looks like Mitch has a pretty good staff going with Tweet, Mongo and Erzar.

cmav
01-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Agreed - glad to have Blair back and Mongo around too! I knew Griff pretty well, and I'm surprised as anyone that he left when he did. I think his decision, especially the timing of it, surprised a lot of people... but certainly glad to see Blair around Fargo again.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-12-2007, 04:23 PM
I have no problem with Griffith taking a job closer to home or whatever other reason he has, I just don't like the decision's timing. I think if you are around for the whole fall it is not the right time to accept another job before the season starts. Just my opinion.

sambini
01-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Can this staff recruit to compete in the MID-CON? Good luck this season to Mitch and his staff..

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-13-2007, 04:58 PM
I think that several of the players they have recruited in recent years (for the sake of this post lets say since 2002 because those guys are/would be fifth year seniors now) are definitely quality D-I players who will have no problem competing in the Mid-Con. The problem has been in the fact that there have also been a very large number of players during that time period that have not put in the effort to reach that potential and a couple others that have had injury problems, thus passing the burden on to younger players who perhaps would not otherwise have been playing as true freshman or sophomores. I think that as the program continues on forward they will be able do more of the things that allow a program in any sport to move forward: recruit athletes for development rather than immediate need, redshirt incoming freshman, and lean on more experienced upper classmen to carry most of the load.

lakesbison
01-13-2007, 05:13 PM
back in 1996 when my team went to regionals with Mike Gunderson / Jason Loesch leading the way, the players were more intense, standing the dugouts.

I just dont see the intensity with the newer players, maybe we were OLD SCHOOL kids, used to playing Amatuer ball in Minn state tourney's (that really toughens a baseball player!!)

just my thoughts, I'd like to see NDSU get that MOXIE and COCKINESS back.

bisonpride2k
01-14-2007, 03:15 AM
Can this staff recruit to compete in the MID-CON? Good luck this season to Mitch and his staff..

If Gene gives them some money to recruit with then no question they will be near the top in the conference. Problem is they have just over 5 scholarships which is four more then they had in 2000 and last years recruiting budget to travel and watch HS/JUCO games or bring kids in for official visits was $3,000. SDSU's recruiting budget is $25,000. Do the math. They had the chance to sign a California JUCO kid during the early period last fall but didnt have the funds to bring him for a visit and Gene wouldn't pony up the cash for a flight. He wouldnt sign unless he saw the campus (and can you blame him). So after early period Virginia Tech lost out on some guys and got on him so he signed there instead in the pring. The 32 max roster limit imposed by Gene is killer on being able to red shirt players. Mossey, Langlais, Hofer, Williams, Laber, etc should all be Sophs this year like the basketball team instead of Juniors. But because of a large senior class when they won the conference in 2004 they couldn't keep or take a gamble on redshirting a project who could turn out to be the next Brandon Olson, Charles Magedanz or others like them who have contributed a ton. With the numbers allowed like they are now those guys would have been cuts as Freshman.

Bottom line, if Gene gives the staff the resources to succeed they will.

sambini
01-14-2007, 04:43 AM
Womens softball must have a bigger recruiting budget?

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-14-2007, 04:47 AM
Bottom line, if Gene gives the staff the resources to succeed they will.

Could not agree more.

cmav
01-14-2007, 06:37 AM
I can't believe our recruiting/OV budget isn't even similar to SDSU's! That is embarrassing - and will for sure need to change as the Bison get into the Mid-Con. Come on, Gene - show them the money!

bisonpride2k
01-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Womens softball must have a bigger recruiting budget?

Over double the scholarships, and probably four times the recruiting budget. I belive softball is at 10 scholarships this year for only 16 or so players.

Why do you think the schedule has been so brutal with such large name programs. They will not provide the funds to fly and play a low end north east school and if you look at the landscape of DI programs there are not many small schools within driving distance of 15 hours. So they are stuck with the big boys of the BIG XII, Big 10, and Missouri Valley. Then go up against fully funded programs when yours isnt even funded half and you will take your lumps no matter what you do. It is amazing they have competed the way the have last year considering the funding and will take another step this year.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-21-2007, 10:22 PM
To say the least the baseball program has been on the short end of a combination of poor funding, tough schedule and young/inexperienced players. Hopefully the boys can step up this year and show Gene that they deserve extra funding (which they do regardless of how the season plays out). Having said all that, with the athletic department making the push to get football fully funded so they can play BCS conference schools for big money it isn't really a surprise that baseball hasn't gotten more funding yet.