PDA

View Full Version : 2007 depth chart

Mr._Bill
01-26-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm excited to get the baseball season rolling, but need someone to clue me in on who will get playing time in 2007, and the projected pitching starters.

February 15 is right around the corner, and I haven't herd a thing. Also, what is the over/under on wins in 2007?

Someone out there must be in the know!

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Here's how I see it:

1B--Kole Zimmerman, Sr/Ryan Langlais, Jr. *Zimm back to provide big boost on the field and in the locker room. *Langlais played 49 games at 1B last year, but has experience at six positions and Zimmerman, a catcher by trade who can also play OF, will almost certainly see some time here.

2B--???/Langlais/Matt Watson, Sr. *Langlais started as part of a platoon at 2B his freshman year and Watson played a couple games here last year. *Not the best position for either player and neither is an ideal fit, but if one of them settles in at 3B the other may see time here or it may go to one of the JUCO infielders brought in this offseason.

SS--Matt Mossey, Jr./??? *Matt started most of the games at short last year and is the team's most productive returning hitter and will start at shortstop when not pitching. *As far as who will play SS when Mossey pitches, probably one of the newcomers who are also competing for the 2B job.

3B--Langlais/Watson. *Watson played 39 games at 3B last year, but hit poorly (.176, HR, 7 RBI) and was unspectacular in the field (16 E, .860 field%). *Langlais saw 11 games here last year and Zimmerman's return may push him to 3B more often than last year when he played 49 games at 1B.

LF--Langlais/Zimmerman/Kenny Beese, RFr/Billy Gazich, So. *Who knows what is going to happen here? *Langlais has played all three OF positions and Zimmerman has played both corner spots. *OF isn't the best position of either player, but they will both be in the lineup everyday and could end up seeing time here. *Beese red-shirted last year and Gazich played 17 games in the OF last year, so they'll probably see some time. *Newcomers in the mix as well.

CF--Greg Plecki, Sr. *Started 51/53 games in center last year and has good range and arm for position. *From his first day on campus I thought he would be a big time player eventually, for what that's worth.

RF--Luke Otto, So. *Very productive last year in 46 starts (.293, 3HR, 20RBI, 21 runs) as true freshman. *He'll probably start at RF like he did most of las year.

C--Gavin Hofer, Jr./Zimmerman. *Hofer made significant strides last year in terms of his batting average, but also improved his ability to throw out runners (15.8% in '05, 20.6% in '06, which is respectable for a college catcher). *He is a switch hitter who gives the coaching staff a little lineup flexibility. *Again, the return of Kole Zimmerman gives Mitch a wide array of lineup options, as I'm sure he will see some time at catcher as well as first base and maybe even outfield.

SP--Matt Mossey, Jr. *1-6 last year in 9 appearance (8 starts), but more importantly went 5-5 with 2.79 ERA in 58 IP for an offensively disabled (.222 BA, 495 hits, 478 K) Mankato team in the competitive Northwoods League. *Likely the #2 starter to start the year.

SP--Jake Laber, Jr. *NDSU's leader in starts, IP, K and CG's last year, appeared to turn the corner after a rough freshman year ('05: 1-5, 8.54, 32.2IP; '06: 3-10, 6.68, 90.1 IP) and averaged 6 innings per start last year. *The improvements are much more significant than numbers alone would indicate because of the heavy load he shouldered last year as only a sophomore. *At the very least provides stability and innings for a staff that desperately needs it, but he is very talented and could have a monster year if he progresses as he did last year. *Will be the #1 starter to open the season.

SP--Ryan Williams, Jr. *Not the strikeout pitcher in '06 that he was in '05, but cut his ERA nearly in half. *If he improves as much from '06-'07 as he did from '05-'06 he will have an excellent year. *Third on the team in start last year with 9, but the team loses players who contributed 21 starts last year and he will be looked to for a major innings contribution to protect a thin bullpen.
SP--Jeff Hille, Jr./??? *I'm guessing that, as is the case with most teams, the #4 starter will be a conglomeration of a number of players. *However, I'd say that Hille probably has the inside track at the moment. *I've played against him before, and always been a bit underwhelmed, but the 6'9" transfer from UNI has some talet and I would bet on Mongo to get it out of him.

RP/CP--Shane Bushland, Jr. *NDSU's most reliable reliever over the last two seasons, most likely will continue to be this year. *Durable guy who can fill a variety of roles, will probably be the "closer" on a team that generated 2 saves last year (ie, top relief pitcher who pitches in a variety of situations, but he'll be the guy with the ball in save situations). *Mossey could also contribute in the closer's role depending on where he takes his turn in the rotation.

RP--Jeff Kyllo, So. *The only other returning reliever from last year who could be counted on for any sort of production. *Fairly productive last year as a true freshman, he will probably fill in as a long reliever or wherever else he is needed.

RP--??? *Oh boy, does this bullpen need protection from Laber, Mossey and Williams up front and Bushland at the back end. *Only two returners who pitched last year and they combined for 0-1, 17.10 ERA, 20 IP, 12K, 16BB, .367 OPP BA. *This bullpen has to be protected to survive and it also is going to need contributions from new-comers.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Also, what is the over/under on wins in 2007?

Here's how I see this working out:

Kansas 2 wins/3
Charleston Southern 2 wins/4
Kansas State 1 win/3
Creighton 2 wins/6
Iowa 2 wins/3
Texas Pan Am 1 win/3
Minnesota 1 win/2
SDSU 4 wins/8
Valpo 3 wins/4
Minot St 2 wins/2
Minnesota-Duluth 2 wins/2
Savannah St 2 wins/4
Northern Iowa 2 wins/5
Valley City St 1 win/1
Nebraska 0 wins/2

Total: 26-26 heading into the independent tourney.

As I've said previously, this may be a bit optimistic on the predictions, but I think that this is going to be the year NDSU finally breaks through. *Lots of question marks certainly, but I am very hopefull.

Mr._Bill
01-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the great incite. The bison will have much more experince in 2007, and hopefully can win at least 20-25 games.

Sullivan's bat will be hard to replace. Who will provide the power for this lineup??

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-27-2007, 09:36 PM
As far as replacing Sullivan goes, I'd say that our best bets would be a group effort from Mossey, Zimmerman, Otto and Langlais. Zimmerman is back from injuries and is done with football, so he can mash baseballs instead of heads now, and the other three guys all tied for the lead among returners with 3. Mitch also signed four JUCO hitters who I know nothing about so one of those guys could hit for some power as well. Also, Beese apparently was a power type guy in HS, but he'll only be a freshman.

bisonball
01-28-2007, 04:05 AM
Wags I like your style, but the depth chart is off a little. Sebastian miles is slated in at first with mike germain in the mix as well. Williams is recovering from shoulder surgery and Bushland has a fractured bone in his elbow. Mossey is slated to be the closer right now. Seth Foley ben mathiason and hille are battling for rotation spots along with mossey and laber. Bowar is coming back from surgery and the pitching staff is very depleted with injuries right now. Shannon Ekermans can hopefully make a big contribution.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Obviously the type of insight I can't always provide from my outside viewpoint, but I do what I can. I'll update the "depth chart" post with that information when I have a bit of free time, probably tomorrow, since I have the Eden Prairie Legion Baseball banquet tonight.

roadwarrior
01-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the information jeffdaryl. Since I will be moving back to Fargo this spring, I will become much more interested in following the baseball team.

NDSUFREAK10
02-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the information jeffdaryl. *Since I will be moving back to Fargo this spring, I will become much more interested in following the baseball team.

+++++++++++++++++++++NICE

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the information jeffdaryl. *Since I will be moving back to Fargo this spring, I will become much more interested in following the baseball team.

+++++++++++++++++++++NICE

I wish I could make it to some of the games this year but it looks like it isn't going to happen.

sambini
02-18-2007, 02:57 AM
What happened to Nick Schommer? Pretty decent ballplayer?

SirHinn
02-18-2007, 05:52 PM

Decided to focus on football.

NDSUFREAK10
02-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Here's how I see it:

1B--Kole Zimmerman, Sr/Ryan Langlais, Jr. Zimm back to provide big boost on the field and in the locker room. Langlais played 49 games at 1B last year, but has experience at six positions and Zimmerman, a catcher by trade who can also play OF, will almost certainly see some time here.

2B--???/Langlais/Matt Watson, Sr. Langlais started as part of a platoon at 2B his freshman year and Watson played a couple games here last year. Not the best position for either player and neither is an ideal fit, but if one of them settles in at 3B the other may see time here or it may go to one of the JUCO infielders brought in this offseason.

SS--Matt Mossey, Jr./??? Matt started most of the games at short last year and is the team's most productive returning hitter and will start at shortstop when not pitching. As far as who will play SS when Mossey pitches, probably one of the newcomers who are also competing for the 2B job.

3B--Langlais/Watson. Watson played 39 games at 3B last year, but hit poorly (.176, HR, 7 RBI) and was unspectacular in the field (16 E, .860 field%). Langlais saw 11 games here last year and Zimmerman's return may push him to 3B more often than last year when he played 49 games at 1B.

LF--Langlais/Zimmerman/Kenny Beese, RFr/Billy Gazich, So. Who knows what is going to happen here? Langlais has played all three OF positions and Zimmerman has played both corner spots. OF isn't the best position of either player, but they will both be in the lineup everyday and could end up seeing time here. Beese red-shirted last year and Gazich played 17 games in the OF last year, so they'll probably see some time. Newcomers in the mix as well.

CF--Greg Plecki, Sr. Started 51/53 games in center last year and has good range and arm for position. From his first day on campus I thought he would be a big time player eventually, for what that's worth.

RF--Luke Otto, So. Very productive last year in 46 starts (.293, 3HR, 20RBI, 21 runs) as true freshman. He'll probably start at RF like he did most of las year.

C--Gavin Hofer, Jr./Zimmerman. Hofer made significant strides last year in terms of his batting average, but also improved his ability to throw out runners (15.8% in '05, 20.6% in '06, which is respectable for a college catcher). He is a switch hitter who gives the coaching staff a little lineup flexibility. Again, the return of Kole Zimmerman gives Mitch a wide array of lineup options, as I'm sure he will see some time at catcher as well as first base and maybe even outfield.

SP--Matt Mossey, Jr. 1-6 last year in 9 appearance (8 starts), but more importantly went 5-5 with 2.79 ERA in 58 IP for an offensively disabled (.222 BA, 495 hits, 478 K) Mankato team in the competitive Northwoods League. Likely the #2 starter to start the year.

SP--Jake Laber, Jr. NDSU's leader in starts, IP, K and CG's last year, appeared to turn the corner after a rough freshman year ('05: 1-5, 8.54, 32.2IP; '06: 3-10, 6.68, 90.1 IP) and averaged 6 innings per start last year. The improvements are much more significant than numbers alone would indicate because of the heavy load he shouldered last year as only a sophomore. At the very least provides stability and innings for a staff that desperately needs it, but he is very talented and could have a monster year if he progresses as he did last year. Will be the #1 starter to open the season.

SP--Ryan Williams, Jr. Not the strikeout pitcher in '06 that he was in '05, but cut his ERA nearly in half. If he improves as much from '06-'07 as he did from '05-'06 he will have an excellent year. Third on the team in start last year with 9, but the team loses players who contributed 21 starts last year and he will be looked to for a major innings contribution to protect a thin bullpen.
SP--Jeff Hille, Jr./??? I'm guessing that, as is the case with most teams, the #4 starter will be a conglomeration of a number of players. However, I'd say that Hille probably has the inside track at the moment. I've played against him before, and always been a bit underwhelmed, but the 6'9" transfer from UNI has some talet and I would bet on Mongo to get it out of him.

RP/CP--Shane Bushland, Jr. NDSU's most reliable reliever over the last two seasons, most likely will continue to be this year. Durable guy who can fill a variety of roles, will probably be the "closer" on a team that generated 2 saves last year (ie, top relief pitcher who pitches in a variety of situations, but he'll be the guy with the ball in save situations). Mossey could also contribute in the closer's role depending on where he takes his turn in the rotation.

RP--Jeff Kyllo, So. The only other returning reliever from last year who could be counted on for any sort of production. Fairly productive last year as a true freshman, he will probably fill in as a long reliever or wherever else he is needed.

RP--??? Oh boy, does this bullpen need protection from Laber, Mossey and Williams up front and Bushland at the back end. Only two returners who pitched last year and they combined for 0-1, 17.10 ERA, 20 IP, 12K, 16BB, .367 OPP BA. This bullpen has to be protected to survive and it also is going to need contributions from new-comers.

GREAT INFO!! Fantastic++

bisonpride2k
02-19-2007, 01:49 AM

Decided to focus on football.

Rumor is he was getting pressure to focus on football. Was having some back problems and Strength Coach Kramer was complaining to him about his work in the weight room so he had to eliminate baseball from his time. It is too bad because he had a terrific second half last year and brings nice speed to the base paths. Hopefully he can return to the team down the road.

sambini
02-19-2007, 02:28 AM
Thanks Bisonpride for the info. He was a starter for the baseball team?

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-19-2007, 11:49 PM
He saw quite a bit of playing time last year as a true freshman. Hofer would probably still have started, but he definitely would have been on the field quite a bit.