PDA

View Full Version : Keys to success

bisonball
02-06-2007, 05:18 PM
The Bison are still playing a tough schedule, but not as tough as the first two years in D1. They are playing twice as many home games this year and have upperclassmen with a good amount of experience. What do you think will make or break the Bison baseball team this year?

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-07-2007, 07:21 AM
The pitching is going to be the thing that determines how well this team does. The '05 freshman class has been through the fire in D-I now and with the addition of some JUCO hitters NDSU finally has what at this point looks like a nice mix of experienced position players that should be able to win them some games. If Bushland and Williams are able to get back from their injuries and the transfers can pitch in they will be in good shape, but that is the big question mark heading into the season.

bisonball
02-07-2007, 04:16 PM
i agree that pitching is what makes or breaks any team. i also think that seniors like greg plecki and matt watson will play a large role of how well this team does. plecki is a tremendous athlete and competitor and has continued to get better and watson sturggled a bit with the transition from bismarck to ndsu but improved greatly since last year and i think he is gaining confidence. i also think it is very important for everyone to stay healthy because a lot of the backups are true freshman or redshirt freshman who havent experienced the competition yet.

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-07-2007, 04:57 PM
I, along with a couple other players, thought that Plecki was going to be a big-time player by the time he was through playing, so hopefully he becomes that type of player this year.

NDSUFREAK10
02-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Well here I am. A big BISON football fan and basketball fan in these earlier years. Now after this football season I am excited about every single sport that we have at NDSU. Being pretty much a 1st year fan of BISON baseball and softball I want to ask, how is our team going to be this year?

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Well here I am. A big BISON football fan and basketball fan in these earlier years. Now after this football season I am excited about every single sport that we have at NDSU. Being pretty much a 1st year fan of BISON baseball and softball I want to ask, how is our team going to be this year?

That's the $64,000 question. The team returns a lot of experienced position players in the form of juniors who have been leaned on to carry the team since their freshman year, as well as incoming JUCO players and a couple guys coming off injuries. The big question is the pitching. They have a couple key contributors coming into the season with injury issues, but they also got a couple transfers who will be asked to make a contribution. If they can get outs, they could be pretty good, or at least very much improved.

Here is a link to the season preview on gobison.
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=12103&SPID=706&DB_OEM_ID=24 00&ATCLID=778598

NDSUFREAK10
02-11-2007, 07:21 PM

That's the $64,000 question. *The team returns a lot of experienced position players in the form of juniors who have been leaned on to carry the team since their freshman year, as well as incoming JUCO players and a couple guys coming off injuries. *The big question is the pitching. *They have a couple key contributors coming into the season with injury issues, but they also got a couple transfers who will be asked to make a contribution. *If they can get outs, they could be pretty good, or at least very much improved.

Here is a link to the season preview on gobison.
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=12103&SPID=706&DB_OEM_ID=24 00&ATCLID=778598

THANKS FOR THE INFO +

lakesbison
02-16-2007, 04:09 AM
Freak.. Ill buy you a morgan coke at a game this year (sneaked in of course)

baseball is fun to watch at Newman

Metrodome visit vs Gophers is awesome!!! (they serve beer there!!!)

Im thinking .500 or just over would be great!!

Mid Con will help this team!!! in 08

NDSUFREAK10
02-16-2007, 04:24 AM
Freak.. Ill buy you a morgan coke at a game this year (sneaked in of course)

baseball is fun to watch at Newman

Metrodome visit vs Gophers is awesome!!! (they serve beer there!!!)

Im thinking .500 or just over would be great!!

Mid Con will help this team!!! in 08
GREAT! I cant wait until the home games start. Newman is a great place to watch baseball. Now i just have to see NDSU play their.

Mr._Bill
02-16-2007, 04:39 AM
That's what happens when you play a schedule of DI oppenents 24. It is exciting to follow a team with a chance to knock off some major competition. Contrast that with an full DII/NAIA schedule. No comparison.

The baseball team will hopefully win at least 20+, but the softball team could really have a good year with their strong start and better pitching in 2007. It will be interesting.

TheDoctor
02-17-2007, 04:09 PM
I actually enjoy watching Bison games there more than Redhawks. It gives you the old school Minor League feel. There are about 300 of the 3,000 seats filled. It's quiet, maybe one concession stand open if that. Relaxing to say the least. Now, I don't know if that is what they want, but that is what they have for now.

NDSUFREAK10
02-17-2007, 07:19 PM
I actually enjoy watching Bison games there more than Redhawks. It gives you the old school Minor League feel. There are about 300 of the 3,000 seats filled. It's quiet, maybe one concession stand open if that. Relaxing to say the least. Now, I don't know if that is what they want, but that is what they have for now.

Well when I go to some i'll bring the noise. ;)

sambini
02-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Freak I thought you live in AZ.Spring training and SUN DEVIL baseball thats where its at.

NDSUFREAK10
02-17-2007, 09:18 PM
Freak I thought you live in AZ.Spring training and SUN DEVIL baseball thats where its at.

No, I do not live in AZ. :'( I will be moving down there is about 4 years though. I have been down there for a couple games and am down here right now and checked out the Diamondback spring training today! ;) I will say though that Newman is better than Packard. Just not the scenery. ;) :D :D

sambini
02-17-2007, 09:21 PM
KEYS TO SUCCESS ARE SCORE MORE RUNS THAN THE OTHER TEAM. SIMPLE.. AND ASU IS A TARGET RICH FOR CHICKS+++++

NDSUFREAK10
02-17-2007, 10:29 PM
KEYS TO SUCCESS ARE SCORE MORE RUNS THAN THE OTHER TEAM. SIMPLE.. AND ASU IS A TARGET RICH FOR CHICKS+++++

:o:D :D BOY I'LL SAY!! GEEEZ!!!! ;D :) :D :o

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-17-2007, 10:43 PM

Spring training baseball is awful. It is great for fans who like getting up close and personal with the players in a more laid-back environment, but if you are going down to see some great baseball, good luck.

sambini
02-18-2007, 02:46 AM
Been there many times and just hearing the ball crack off the bat. Since you've been hold inside with cabin fever. Now thats not so bad. *And getting closeup to the players around the Phoenix area. That is a fans dream IMO. Sorry to hear you think it sucks. But it sure beats the doldrums of winter. It means spring and summer are on there way. Been fortunate to see some good College games like ASU-TEXAS, ARIZONA-STANFORD. Thats not too bad baseball....

BraxtonT
02-19-2007, 12:30 AM

Spring training baseball is awful. It is great for fans who like getting up close and personal with the players in a more laid-back environment, but if you are going down to see some great baseball, good luck.

I'm taking the family down to Tampa and Winter Haven over Spring Break in Mid March for Spring Training. Any words of advice for a first timer?

sambini
02-19-2007, 01:18 AM
Been to Arizona spring training sorry. Got to get to Florida this fall for a BUCS game though.

bisonpride2k
02-19-2007, 02:35 AM
#1- Pitching staff health-
They are already a little short with Bushland out for anywhere from a month to the whole season and Williams out until around spring break. They have some talent velocity wise with 5 guys having been clocked in the 90's indoors this spring (Mossey, Laber, Ekermans, Mathiason, Langlais) but its location of that velocity that will make this staff effective. They could add to that total as Hille continues to get stronger after shoulder problems last year as he was consistant 92-93 as UNI's #1 starter and if Williams and bushland can both get back to health they are anywhere from 88-91 as well. From what I have heard Bowar and Germain are around 86-88 as well after comming off arm surgeries. Look for Mathiason to make a big impact in what ever role he ends up in. The talent is there, now they need to remain healthy and excecute.

#2- Production from the bottom of the order-
Last year The top of the order with Mossey, Plecki, Magedanz, Sullivan, and Langlais were rather solid after Kansas State. However the rest of the order strugled mightely and were very inconsistent. When Schomer and Hofer began to turn the corner in the 6 and 7 spots they started to add a few more wins and then in the end of season tournament Watson joined the mix and you saw what they were capable of doing. The loss of Sullivan and Magedanz is big, however the return of Zimmerman will be a huge boost and I look for Ekermans to step right in at the top of the order and contribute (the guy has faced Roger Clemens and other MLB pitchers for two weeks stright, who is going to scare him at this level???). If Hofer can pick up where he left off and Watson had a big summer in a collegiate league in Kentucky (along with Plecki) and carries that success over to this season, throw in an experienced hitter in Miles and they should be improved from last year. If the bottom of the order can set the table for the top they should be able to score alot more this year.

#3- Comming up with clutch hits-
Way too many runners were left on base last season. Guys from the top of the order would be in scoring position only to be left on with back to back strikeouts or in opportune double plays. That is evident by the number of games NDSU out hit its opponent and still lost (best examples- Minnesota in the dome, Kentucky twice). One or two more timely hits a game will make a huge difference.

#4- Experience-
This team has been plagued by being able to only carry 32 players since 2003, thus the lack of ability to redshirt many players and having to throw guys to the wolves when they are not ready. That number will once again be a factor with injuries to the staff and a couple of departures. However this is a much more experienced team. The bulk of the lineup will have played together for the third year now. The name on the front of the jersey will not be as big a deal any more after having beat Minnesota and Iowa, and near misses against Big 12 tournament champ Kansas, and Top 10 Kentucky. They now know that they can be successful at that level of competion and hopefully that confidence, and gained knowledge will eliminate the little mistakes that arent seen in the stat line that has plagued them the past two sesons.

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-20-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm taking the family down to Tampa and Winter Haven over Spring Break in Mid March for Spring Training. *Any words of advice for a first timer?

In Winter Haven (Indians) the big leaguers do their throwing and take BP on the upper field (#1 I believe) pretty early, about the same time that the minor leaguers start stretching and head down to the lower fields to do their throwing. The entire area around the big league clubhouse is restricted access, but if you care to see the minor leaguers (such as yours truly) most of the areas where we work out are accessible to the public and so are most of the players once they finish for the day. Beyond that Winter Haven isn't a real gem of a city, but at least it's only an hour from Orlando and an hour and a half from Tampa.