PDA

View Full Version : Oh so close!!!

bisonpride2k
03-19-2007, 12:29 AM
These close games really piss me off because with just a "LITTLE" more help from above they would be pulling these out.

#1- They got the big time short stop in Gaylord but he blew his grades in underwater basket weaving in JUCO and didnt get into school.

#2- They also had an almost verbal last fall for this year from a JUCO kid in Cali that would be making a big difference at first and in the outfield but didnt have the funds to fly him in for a visit so after the early signing period he chose Virginia Tech (would you go to a school you couldnt see? dont think so). He wanted to verbal but had to see the school.

#3- Also lost another big recruit who was Sebastian Miles buddy at JUCO and wanted to attend even more then Miles, but because our academics told him it would take him over three years to finish his major, which after some digging was not correct, he went else where as well before it was corrected.

#4- Not to mention how our wonderful Lynn Dorn sat on Sullivans medical hardship aplication forever so it got denied extremely late when the fall had already started this year.

This staff is working there tails off to get this program to be at worst a consistant .500 or better club before post season eligibility which is a tough task in the north, but when it can't even get help from inside its own campus it really hurts even worse!

lakesbison
03-19-2007, 12:41 AM
I hear ya.

LYNN DORN & BASEBALL has always been a issue. I dont care. who knows me.

Im saying that RIGHT NOW!!

she totally wants SOFTBALL & SOCCER & VOLLEYBALL to overshadow baseball..

thats a fact, with the VENUE that NEWMAN FIELD has, NDSU baseball should be a freakin gold mine!!!

Hopefully Taylor can shake things up, and I don't wanna see MITCH gone to do that!!!

2-9 is a rough start yes, but K State & Creighton aren't exactly doormats.

bisonpride2k
03-19-2007, 06:31 AM
That is exactly the thing. We are playing K-State and Creighton. Two teams that will be on the bubble come tournament time and are RIGHT THERE, at only 5 scholarships and over 1/5th as less recruiting money as SDSU even. It is hard to watch the success of the football program and basketball program when they are given everything they want and baseball has them right there with not even half of what they can get.

Ivy
03-19-2007, 07:20 PM
It's a shame that the baseball team can't get better funding. They have a beautiful stadium, yet they don’t have any cash to offer scholarships, to draw interest, and draw a fan base.

Schlorships and Title IX is one thing I can see that...but the money for other things such as travel, coaching staff, recruiting, uniforms, team meals etc...does that really have to wait?

In my opinion, Title IX is way out of control. I thought it's orginal intention was to provide equal opportunity for females. I don't see how underfunding teams like Men's Golf and Baseball can help out the women's teams provide more opportunity--I think it just provides them more cash overall...and they do whatever they want with it.

bisonpride2k
03-19-2007, 09:46 PM
The problem isnt that there is no money there. The problem is the splurging that is allowed for other programs. Cutting back on an EXTRA frill here and there with the bigger programs could make a big difference for a program like baseball. When Miles received his contract all three of his assistants got $25,000 raises. The baseball program has one full time assistant that makes just under that amount and finally just got that full time position last year. Funny how baseball and softball had to cut back on their budgets when that happened. The funding has been improved from the non existant late 90's early 2000's, but it hasnt taken the jump some programs have since the move. Not even close. Heck, Mitch is even still part time baseball, part time school because Gene doesnt want to pick up the rest of his salary. He gets as much for coaching baseball as the restricted earnings football coach.

2006gwfcchamps
03-19-2007, 10:09 PM
As soon as football starts selling out the fargodome every home game and basketball sells out the fargodome arena every home game, we'll have so much cash that we can start spending big on the olympic sports.

cmav
03-19-2007, 10:40 PM
bisonpride2k.... you're so right. It's ridiculous that we cant even compete with SDSU on a baseball level. Imagine what the baseball/softball programs could have done with just a fraction of the 75g's all 3 hoops assistants got. I think they call it recruiting.

2006gwfcchamps
03-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Frustration is understandable.

But you must know in your heart that NDSU is never going to be a top tier baseball school. Ever.

Even if we sign all our players from CA.

Of course that's no excuse to cut the funding for the team.

But just realize that your time has not come yet.

bisonpride2k
03-20-2007, 02:02 AM
It has nothing to do with being a top flight baseball school. It has to do with being successful at the level you can achieve. If we put a little effort financially we could be the baseball school of the far north and take that away from minnesota.

cmav
03-20-2007, 02:33 AM
Agreed - and it shouldn't be too hard to strip the title from the Gophers. NDSU isnt a baseball school right now, but they could be. With a little support.

I'm not talking about just getting guys from all over the US, nor am I suggesting that the baseball team needs 75 g's to run a better program... but a few here and there for a bigger recruiting budget, more money for all 3 coaches, maybe a GA coach... it would be a nice start to the Holy Grail.

kchats
03-20-2007, 03:19 AM
Wrestling raises alot of their own money by holding the national wrestling tournament and other such things. Why can't baseball do something similar?

Ivy
03-20-2007, 03:34 AM
The point is that none of these teams should have to fund raise. If NDSU is going to sponsor such and such sport, they need to fund it at an acceptable level to provide a good (and fair) experience for all of their players. It shouldn't be upto the coaches and especially the student athletes to do little fund raising projects. (and I think it is the baseball guys that sell the programs for football and basketball....hopefully they are making some money off those?)

bisonpride2k
03-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Wrestling raises alot of their own money by holding the national wrestling tournament and other such things. *Why can't baseball do something similar?

You are kidding right! Wrestling does nto raise alot of their own money from the wrestling tournament. The coaches are making money individually from that but the program is in no way making money from that. It would be an NCAA violation. a MAJOR violation. The coaches can make money almost however they want outside. It is basically not much different then running camps. They also i am sure get the wrestlers involved so they can make some side cash as well.

As far as baseball is concerned they sell programs for all football games. That used to be their entire funding for their florida trip until a few years back. They started a bull pen club that alumni and parents donate money to help defray costs. It was used for things like players batting gloves, maybe cleats, etc. Once Gene took over he wanted to remove the bull pen club and have everyone donate to team makers (which means baseball gets nothing). He was also extremely upset about the wording of wrestlings scholarship endowment as the money channels only to wrestling and would disapear if wrestling was ever droped.

Problem is with things like the bull pen club, the team is not allowed to spend it as they wish. Example, a few years back they asked for 32 pair of cleats and were approved to by 25 new pair of cleats for the team. Problem is there are 32 rostered players. Anyone else see a problem here??? When asked to use funds that were available in the bull pen club to at least cover the no redshirt players, the answer was no. It is the LITTLE crap like that which is killing the baseball program. That is just one example! There are countless others, and just in the past few years.

bisonpride2k
03-20-2007, 01:24 PM
The point is that none of these teams should have to fund raise. *If NDSU is going to sponsor such and such sport, they need to fund it at an acceptable level to provide a good (and fair) experience for all of their players. *It shouldn't be upto the coaches and especially the student athletes to do little fund raising projects. *(and I think it is the baseball guys that sell the programs for football and basketball....hopefully they are making some money off those?)

The key word is fair. Obviously being fully funded is out of the question and not expected, but they are not even being funded at an even close to fair level to give them the chance. They have already competed against some of the upper level Mid-Con teams (take Oral Roberts out of that because they are a nationaly elite program now) and with extreme youth, no ability to redshirt because of roster limits, etc... were at a level to compete in the conference tournament which if you have a great tourny gets you to the NCAA's. Which is the goal isnt it?

sambini
03-20-2007, 08:55 PM
The athletic department makes money off the USA WRESTING TOURNEY. AND BUCKY DOES HAVE SOME OF HIS SCHOLARSHIPS ENDOWED.