PDA

View Full Version : Theres Refuge for Bison Baseball

TheDoctor
04-15-2007, 05:44 AM
Interesting read:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=162548&section=Columnists&columnist=J eff%20Kolpack

Next year, the Bison will travel to the University of Oklahoma for three games and the University of Kansas for four games.

Oklahoma is picking up NDSU’s bus tab.

“We can’t afford not to take it,” McLeod said. “It’s the situation we’re in. Because of the NDSU athletic budget – I understand we have to put money into football, basketball and women’s sports – I realize where we are. With our travel, we have to take the best offers we can get.”

NDSUFREAK10
04-15-2007, 05:39 PM
THANK YOU SOONERS!! ++++++++++++++++

89rabbit
04-15-2007, 06:42 PM
What no mention of SDSU and our 16-12 record (with wins over the Big XII - Kansas and Mo Valley - Indiana State, Creighton, and Missouri State). *;) *;D

Go State! *:)

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-15-2007, 08:45 PM
How do you consider being forced to take road games so the team can afford to play games to be a refuge? Sounds more like pathetic treatment of the team to me. Just underscores the completely BS way the program is getting treated at present.

NDSUstudent
04-15-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm pretty sure the refuge is the Mid-Con, which will help reduce some of those trips like OU and KU.

DenverBison05
04-16-2007, 12:37 AM
What no mention of SDSU and our 16-12 record (with wins over the Big XII - Kansas and Mo Valley - Indiana State, Creighton, and Missouri State). *;) *;D

Anybody heard about how well SDSU's softball team has been lately?
Rabbit, I would start casting stones when some of your teams haven't been doing well either.

2002jack
04-16-2007, 02:30 AM

Anybody heard about how well SDSU's softball team has been lately?
Rabbit, I would start casting stones when some of your teams haven't been doing well either.

It was kind of strange to mention IPFW, but not SDSU. I don't think 89rabbit was saying anything smacky about your baseball team. He was just pointing out that SDSU was omitted.

89rabbit
04-16-2007, 04:00 AM
Yea. *I thought the story was good and got the point he was trying to make and understand how bringing up SDSU's success might be counter productive to the tail he was weaving. *However, I still thought it was a little strange that he didn't talk about SDSU at all. *That was my only point, no offense to NDSU intended.

P.S. Our softball team is 11-22, just for the record. *They too have wins over the Missouri Valley (Drake and Creighton), but the Big XII will have to wait until next year. ;)

DenverBison05
04-16-2007, 05:47 AM
Yea. *I thought the story was good and got the point he was trying to make and understand how bringing up SDSU's success might be counter productive to the tail he was weaving. *However, I still thought it was a little strange that he didn't talk about SDSU at all. *That was my only point, no offense to NDSU intended.

P.S. Our softball team is 11-22, just for the record. *They too have wins over the Missouri Valley (Drake and Creighton), but the Big XII will have to wait until next year. ;)

My bad, I took that the wrong way. :-[

bisonpride2k
04-16-2007, 06:20 AM

Success might be a strong word. Yes the record looks nice but who are you playing??? Your strength of schedule to date is 253 out of 290 and judging by 8 games still to come with 288 ranked IPFW, four with NDSU and 5 with 204 N Colorado that will probably end up in the 270s+. You beat Kansas who is 15-21 at 3:30 AM after they rolled off the bus after 10 hours. Creighton 22-11 was mid week. Murry State is 9-21(#183). Sac State is 9-24. Indiana State is 16-15 so easy to pick up 1. Missouri state is 19-16 not much better then Kansas, Tennesse Martin 9-20, SE Mo 19-12 (#237 schedule). So for the entire season you will have played 4 teams (including Minnesota) with winning records. 6 of your 16 are Utah Valley and NDSU.

NDSU so far... Weekend with Charleston Southern (#196, 4 game split)Weekend with K-State (RPI #27) and lost in 11 inn. Weekend with Creighton (#63). Weekend with Iowa (#126) and lost in 11inn. Weekend with TX PA (#185). They finally got a weekend with someone not under 200 (when it wasnt 10 degree windchills) with Valpo (#264) and got a split.

I think it was clear at the end of last season how important a tough schedule can be. The worst two overall records in last years independent tournament finished 1 and 2 and for the most part rather easily. Not trying to knock SDSU because they have beaten who is on their schedule, but step up a little and play someone besides ndsu, UNC, IPFW, and Utah Valley 24 times.

89rabbit
04-16-2007, 01:47 PM

Success might be a strong word. Yes the record looks nice but who are you playing??? Your strength of schedule to date is 253 out of 290 and judging by 8 games still to come with 288 ranked IPFW, four with NDSU and 5 with 204 N Colorado that will probably end up in the 270s+. You beat Kansas who is 15-21 at 3:30 AM after they rolled off the bus after 10 hours. Creighton 22-11 was mid week. Murry State is 9-21(#183). Sac State is 9-24. Indiana State is 16-15 so easy to pick up 1. Missouri state is 19-16 not much better then Kansas, Tennesse Martin 9-20, SE Mo 19-12 (#237 schedule). So for the entire season you will have played 4 teams (including Minnesota) with winning records. 6 of your 16 are Utah Valley and NDSU.

NDSU so far... Weekend with Charleston Southern (#196, 4 game split)Weekend with K-State (RPI #27) and lost in 11 inn. Weekend with Creighton (#63). Weekend with Iowa (#126) and lost in 11inn. Weekend with TX PA (#185). They finally got a weekend with someone not under 200 (when it wasnt 10 degree windchills) with Valpo (#264) and got a split.

I think it was clear at the end of last season how important a tough schedule can be. The worst two overall records in last years independent tournament finished 1 and 2 and for the most part rather easily. Not trying to knock SDSU because they have beaten who is on their schedule, but step up a little and play someone besides ndsu, UNC, IPFW, and Utah Valley 24 times.

So let me see if I understand the chain of events here. *Kolpack of the Fargo paper writes a story that basically says, and I am paraphrasing, “thank God that NDSU is getting into the Mid-Con so that they can play teams more on their level” (I/E the Bison need to lower their strength of schedule). *I mention that it is odd that the author of the story didn't bring up SDSU, and another poster jumps down my throat and wants to talk about Women's Softball. *I state that I meant no offense by my post, and said poster admits that he may have overreacted and then you come along and want to take me on about strength of schedule as though that is the biggest factor in NDSU's 21-90 record (give or take a few) against D-I teams since the move up. *Your argument seems to agree with Jeff’s story, and I might add that I stated I thought it was a good story and understood the point that he was making. *It seems to me we are in agreement at this point. *

With that said, if you don't want to call SDSU's 16-13 record and RPI of 187 successful so be it. *You are certainly entitled to your opinion. *I choose to define that record, and our transition as a whole successful. *I am sure you would agree that I too am entitled to my opinion. *So the only question left to be answered is what do you call NDSU's 5-19 record and RPI of 268? *I’m just curious.

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-16-2007, 10:08 PM
It's hard to define any program with Reggie Christensen as the head coach as successful. Just kidding...sort of, but not entirely.

89rabbit
04-16-2007, 10:57 PM
It's hard to define any program with Reggie Christensen as the head coach as successful. *Just kidding...sort of, but not entirely.

We like him, it doesn't appear the same can be said for the NDSU coach. ;)

http://www400.pair.com/bisonvil/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1112983220

Go State! :)

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-18-2007, 04:45 PM
I don't want to rekindle this conversation again, but I think that most of the people who hold that opinion of Mitch (former players included) would be less inclined to do so if they realized/reconsidered the shoe-string budget that this program is put together on. Mitch isn't perfect, no coach is, but it would be very difficult to put a winning program together on what he is given.

sportguy
04-18-2007, 05:11 PM
You know I read all the stuff that goes on here and came to this conclusion. Baseball has 5 scholarships here at NDSU. SDSU has 8. Your not going to win consistently when there is no money for scholarships. Rabbit let me tell you this. You hosted the tournament last season. You played a weak schedule and were bounced from it rather early. NDSU and Northern Colorado played the 2 toughest schedules going into the tourney and finished 1 and 2. SOS is very importent and it looks like SDSU is giving the baseball team resources to go and play and weaker schedule. Why do you think he is going and playing those teams. I will tell you why. He is trying to get out of there and coach somewhere else. Mitch has always said he wants to stay here so he puts together a tough schedule due to the fact that he has to do it so he comes in under his budget. Think of this. Have our football program go play Oklahoma next year and leave 60% of your scholarship players home. That is what you ask the baseball team to do every weekend.

mikelsch
04-18-2007, 05:56 PM
You know I read all the stuff that goes on here and came to this conclusion. *Baseball has 5 scholarships here at NDSU. *SDSU has 8. *Your not going to win consistently when there is no money for scholarships. *Rabbit let me tell you this. *You hosted the tournament last season. *You played a weak schedule and were bounced from it rather early. *NDSU and Northern Colorado played the 2 toughest schedules going into the tourney and finished 1 and 2. *SOS is very importent and it looks like SDSU is giving the baseball team resources to go and play and weaker schedule. *Why do you think he is going and playing those teams. *I will tell you why. *He is trying to get out of there and coach somewhere else. *Mitch has always said he wants to stay here so he puts together a tough schedule due to the fact that he has to do it so he comes in under his budget. *Think of this. *Have our football program go play Oklahoma next year and leave 60% of your scholarship players home. *That is what you ask the baseball team to do every weekend.

Impressive first post!

cmav
04-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Amen!! *Good work, sportguy!

89rabbit
04-18-2007, 11:43 PM
You know I read all the stuff that goes on here and came to this conclusion. *Baseball has 5 scholarships here at NDSU. *SDSU has 8. *Your not going to win consistently when there is no money for scholarships. *Rabbit let me tell you this. *You hosted the tournament last season. *You played a weak schedule and were bounced from it rather early. *NDSU and Northern Colorado played the 2 toughest schedules going into the tourney and finished 1 and 2. *SOS is very importent and it looks like SDSU is giving the baseball team resources to go and play and weaker schedule. *Why do you think he is going and playing those teams. *I will tell you why. *He is trying to get out of there and coach somewhere else. *Mitch has always said he wants to stay here so he puts together a tough schedule due to the fact that he has to do it so he comes in under his budget. *Think of this. *Have our football program go play Oklahoma next year and leave 60% of your scholarship players home. *That is what you ask the baseball team to do every weekend.

You don't like RPI, ok how about head to head match ups? Since the move to D-I it looks like this:

SDSU 11 - NDSU 5

Go State! :)

P.S. Our Baseball team has 7 scholarships.

2002jack
04-19-2007, 04:03 AM

You don't like RPI, ok how about head to head match ups? *Since the move to D-I it looks like this:

SDSU 11 - NDSU 5

Nice stat 89.

bisonpride2k
04-20-2007, 05:13 AM

You don't like RPI, ok how about head to head match ups? *Since the move to D-I it looks like this:

SDSU 11 - NDSU 5

Nice stat 89.

If you want to go back to the first time they ever played and post that record go right ahead because SDSU has supported the baseball program MUCH better then NDSU has and their head to head record shows it. Eckland had quite a program going for several years. But if you look back at NDSU, Mitch had 0.75 scholarships in 1996 when they won 36 games and 1.5 or so in 2000 when they were regular season NCC champs and 3 in 2004 when they won the NCC tournament. I know SDSU has had at least 4-6 scholies during the course of that whole time. Quite frankly Mitch has done alot with what he has been given and has created alot from invited walk-ons who were not recruited elsewhere(Mann, Piepkorn, Olson, Richards) and guys he got for $200 (Baso, Magedanz, Peschel, Brueske).

As far as this season in one word so far... Disapointing. Disapointing that we have two of our main pitchers on the shelf for the year when we are alread straped on scholarships for pitching. Disapointing some of our realied upon players have been strugling till now (some with injuries but gutting it out anyway).

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Good to see I'm not alone in thinking Mitch does a pretty good job with his resources.