PDA

View Full Version : Baseball TODAY at Newman!

roadwarrior
04-14-2007, 02:26 PM
The sun is out and the Bison will take on Valpo in a doubleheader today (4-14) at Newman at 1pm. Teammaker members get in free with their membership cards.

NDSUFREAK10
04-14-2007, 03:25 PM
:D :D :D :D :D
YESSS!!!!!!!

thebluehatman
04-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Looks like the game has been delayed back an hour to 2:00 because of wet field conditions. Time to bring out the jet dryers haha.

NDSUFREAK10
04-14-2007, 05:54 PM
I wonder how man people will be going! Geez, 200-300 people? Less? I know I am heading out there.

heymch86
04-14-2007, 06:10 PM
game will be on KNDS Thunderradio 105.9

TxBisonFan
04-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Why isn't it on all access?? [smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=angry.gif] [smiley=angry.gif] [smiley=angry.gif]

NDSUFREAK10
04-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Great game at Newman today as the BISON win 12-4.
Note to the NDSU promotion team. GET BIGGER T-SHIRTS!

NDSUFREAK10
04-14-2007, 10:25 PM
That of course was game one.
Game 2 of today I am sure has already started.

TheDoctor
04-15-2007, 05:30 AM
lost game two 7-1 I believe. :(

NDSUFREAK10
04-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Yup, hope we can get the double header sweep today. Can't make it out to Newman but they are playing right now.

NDSUFREAK10
04-16-2007, 02:50 AM
BISON lost the first game today 6-9, but Matt Mossey had a complete game effort in a 9-2 win in the second game.

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-16-2007, 03:34 AM
Nice job by Mossey. I just wish the athletic department would have opened up the wallet a little more the last couple years so Mitch and the boys could plays some more home games and have had additional scholarships to help them out. If they had one more quality arm in the rotation and one more quality bat in the lineup I think this is a close to .500 team at this point. It isn't as far off as it sometimes looks from the record and hopefully the scholarship situation gets rectified sometime soon.

NDSUstudent
04-16-2007, 03:45 AM
Well, the athletic budget is around 9-9.5 million now and is expected to level off at 10.7 so hopefully that means baseball will get a boast pretty soon. Honestly, I think if NDSU could market it right and put a good team on the field it would draw well(1-2k a game) so I think having it fully funded may end up being well worth it.

TheDoctor
04-16-2007, 03:48 AM
we got the back end of the double header today. I actually got sunburned! ;D ;)

bisonpride2k
04-16-2007, 05:32 AM
Well, the athletic budget is around 9-9.5 million now and is expected to level off at 10.7 so hopefully that means baseball will get a boast pretty soon. Honestly, I think if NDSU could market it right and put a good team on the field it would draw well(1-2k a game) so I think having it fully funded may end up being well worth it.

Without question. They draw an average of around 500 with ZERO marketing. Just think if they were marketed as much as volleyball and soccer and given the same resources. Unfortunately Lynn Dorn will never allow baseball to over shadow other womens sports.

89rabbit
04-16-2007, 05:36 AM

Wow, 1-2k is pretty aggressive for NCAA Baseball. Especially up north. The SDSU record for a home crowd is 1,073 for a game with the Gophers. Not that we are the gold standard of college baseball or anything. Still, 1,000 to 2,000 would put you in the top 50 for avg. attendance.

http://www.ncaa.org/stats/baseball/attendance/2006_attendance.pdf

Go State! :)

NDSUstudent
04-16-2007, 09:21 PM

Wow, 1-2k is pretty aggressive for NCAA Baseball. * Especially up north. The SDSU record for a home crowd is 1,073 for a game with the Gophers. *Not that we are the gold standard of college baseball or anything. *Still, 1,000 to 2,000 would put you in the top 50 for avg. attendance.

Go State! *:)

1-2k may be aggresive but in Fargo baseballs holds a special place in the hearts of many sports fans. The city is of course home to Roger Maris and has hosted the American Legion World Series a few times and will do so again in a few years. There is also the Redhawks which average 4k+ a night and of course there is Newman Outdoor Field which provides a top notch stadium to watch a game in. Add in the fact that 180k+ plus live in Fargo or surrounding communities and the potential is there for some good crowds if Bison baseball is successful on the field and is being marketed right.

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-16-2007, 10:00 PM
I think 2,000 is definitely a little optimistic, but 1,000 is definitely not out of reach. *As was said earlier, the team draws at least a handful of hundreds of people for the games as is, with no marketing and a team that is not on equal scholarship footing. *Not to mention that NDSU plays in one heck of a stadium, which as of a couple years ago SDSU did not (as a side note, I hope they get a new stadiu out there sometime soon). Imagine what could happen if the athletic department came to its senses, did some marketing (anything would be an improvement) and gave the team anything resembling a recruiting and scheduling budget. *Step one in fixing the problem is to get rid of Lynn Dorn though.

89rabbit
04-16-2007, 11:30 PM
Check out page 4, 5, and 96 of SDSU's media guide for our current and future homes (not that we have had a chance to see any of them recently):

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary/Page/Information/DataInstances/12046/Files/47449/Baseball_Media_Guide_2007.pdf

Bryan
04-18-2007, 02:07 AM
whats really amazing about that attendance link just further shows what northern teams are up against.

Ohio State and Creighton with 18 home games, Minnesota with 22 and Miami(Ohio) with 14 home games, meanwhile Rice has 43 home games, North Carolina 41, Clemson 39 and most others on that list in the mid 30's. imagine any other college sport where one team could have 29 more home games than another team and yet they are still competing for the same post season tournament.

sambini
04-18-2007, 03:42 AM

Wow, 1-2k is pretty aggressive for NCAA Baseball. * Especially up north. The SDSU record for a home crowd is 1,073 for a game with the Gophers. *Not that we are the gold standard of college baseball or anything. *Still, 1,000 to 2,000 would put you in the top 50 for avg. attendance.

1-2k may be aggresive but in Fargo baseballs holds a special place in the hearts of many sports fans. The city is of course home to Roger Maris and has hosted the American Legion World Series a few times and will do so again in a few years. There is also the Redhawks which average 4k+ a night and of course there is Newman Outdoor Field which provides a top notch stadium to watch a game in. Add in the fact that 180k+ plus live in Fargo or surrounding communities and the potential is there for some good crowds if Bison baseball is successful on the field and is being marketed right.
You have one problem you have no control over and that is mother nature in the northern plains.

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Hopefully the uniform start date will shift the balance of home games back towards an even balance somewhat. *Obviously it will never be even and I have no problem with it not being totally even, but it is very ridiculous. *It used to be insane back in the '90's for a while when Miami was an independent and played 4 road games a year, 2 each against the Gators and 'Noles, then hosted a regional. *Anyway, there isn't much the NCAA can do about the scheduling imbalance unless they require teams to play a certain percentage of their non-conference schedule on the road to qualify for a regional, but that would never happen.

sambini
04-19-2007, 06:30 AM
What has been the attendance numbers for Bison baseball in recent years?

bisonpride2k
04-20-2007, 05:20 AM
Had 340 for Duluth today despite the strong wind in your face.

bisonpride2k
04-20-2007, 05:30 AM
What has been the attendance numbers for Bison baseball in recent years?

Per game average-

2006- 490
2005- 350
2004- 350 (5th in DII)
2003- 307 (7th in DII)
2002- 216
2001- 163
2000- 135

sambini
04-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks++

Wacker_in_the_Hall
04-20-2007, 12:29 PM
it appears 1000 is a reach.........

sambini
04-20-2007, 10:43 PM
If they sold beer maybe not?

Wacker_in_the_Hall
04-21-2007, 02:07 AM
Free Michelob Golden Draft Light for the first 2000 people..

cmav
04-21-2007, 02:55 AM
I'd make a 4 hour drive to Newman for Bison Baseball if there was free beer.... or ANY beer for that matter!

NDSUFREAK10
04-21-2007, 04:14 AM
I'd make a 4 hour drive to Newman for Bison Baseball if there was free beer.... or ANY beer for that matter!

It would still be worth it even without the beer! Newman is just such a great place to see a game.

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-21-2007, 07:27 AM
it appears 1000 is a reach.........
Again, there is currently zero marketing, zero recruiting budget, and five scholarships. Fixing or at least minimizing these problems would drive up interest and I think 1000 is pretty attainable. Problem is the athletic department would never do these things.

lakesbison
04-21-2007, 06:34 PM
last year vs Gophers wasnt there over 1000?? set a record?

that game with that game winning homerun was SWEET!!

loud as hell in there!!

*im still on vacation.. boston now*

bisonpride2k
04-22-2007, 06:57 AM

loud as hell in there!!

Yes there were over 1,000 there with very little publicity for it. The thing is there are MORE students at baseball games then there are at womens BB and Volleyball. What is lacking is the general public knowing that there are games going on as well as parents of local kids. You RARELY see a family with kids at games except for the coaches kids. Goergen and Forde are REALLY droping the ball making ndsu baseball a family event!

sambini
04-22-2007, 07:57 AM

loud as hell in there!!

Yes there were over 1,000 there with very little publicity for it. The thing is there are MORE students at baseball games then there are at womens BB and Volleyball. What is lacking is the general public knowing that there are games going on as well as parents of local kids. You RARELY see a family with kids at games except for the coaches kids. Goergen and Forde are REALLY droping the ball making ndsu baseball a family event!
Send them an email?

bisonpride2k
04-26-2007, 01:14 AM
Send them an email?

LOL!!! Yeah sure thing. To keep it clean and friendly lets just say it woud be a waste of time and actual ideas to even bother. I know for a fact a parent that tried calling Goergen and was flat lied to about the things that are done and once they confronted him about the fact that they were at the game and none of what he said was done with the exception of his cure all of throwing out a t-shirt he was speachless and cut the call short. Thats what we are dealing with over there when it comes to baseball. Up until last year the coaching staff created all of the schedule posters and distributed them themselves. SDSU has its own baseball radio network this year with i believe four stations all across the state. We dont even get the gopher game on WDAY.

sambini
04-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Have you sent Gene an email with your concerns?

Ivy
04-27-2007, 03:26 AM
It's pretty clear that baseball isn't on the radar in the administration's eyes. It's a shame. I feel sorry for the student athletes...they are the ones that are getting shafted. Can you imagine if the Football team was forced to bus to Oklahoma State to get annihilated just because it wouldn't cost them anything? Or if the women's basketball team would have to sell programs at the Football games to make a buck for their program?

Is there a way we can designate that our dollars be used for baseball? Is there someplace that we can see the Teamakers budget and were our dollars would be going? I'm still contemplating joining Teammakers....and leaning towards no at this point after reading the former athletes' feelings all over the topic of baseball and how it is so unfair! I feel that my money would just go into the FB pot anyway.

bisonpride2k
04-27-2007, 03:35 AM
It's pretty clear that baseball isn't on the radar in the administration's eyes. It's a shame. I feel sorry for the student athletes...they are the ones that are getting shafted. Can you imagine if the Football team was forced to bus to Oklahoma State to get annihilated just because it wouldn't cost them anything? Or if the women's basketball team would have to sell programs at the Football games to make a buck for their program?

Is there a way we can designate that our dollars be used for baseball? Is there someplace that we can see the Teamakers budget and were our dollars would be going? I'm still contemplating joining Teammakers....and leaning towards no at this point after reading the former athletes' feelings all over the topic of baseball and how it is so unfair! I feel that my money would just go into the FB pot anyway.

Call coach McLeod and make a donation to the Bull pen club. Then you know it wont just end up with football. The dual sport football/baseball guys just laugh at how money gets thrown around in comparison to baseball.

Ivy
04-27-2007, 03:40 AM
Call coach McLeod and make a donation to the Bull pen club. Then you know it wont just end up with football. The dual sport football/baseball guys just laugh at how money gets thrown around in comparison to baseball.

Yeah, I'd like to hear Zimmerman's opinion! Maybe he should go and talk to Gene? I mean, he WAS a football player at one time and that means he is a god, so maybe Gene will listen to him, right? ;) (No offense to Zimmerman.)

bisonpride2k
04-27-2007, 03:42 AM
Have you sent Gene an email with your concerns?

Lets just say no comment. That is probably the best thing for me to say. Administration is not going to change there mind from one email. UNLESS it is a select few with the large donation power.