PDA

View Full Version : Don Larson

Bisonguy
05-23-2003, 02:23 AM
Looks like NDSU's men's track coach Don Larson is the D2 Outdoor track coach of the Year. (http://gobison.jumpinteractive.com/news/index.cgi?id=558) This award nicely compliments his NCC Outdoor Coach of the Year, Outdoor North Central Region Coach of the Year, and D2 Indoor Track Coach of the Year awards he received earlier this year.

mojobison
05-29-2003, 10:13 PM
I thought that both track teams did fantastic jobs this year.

There sure is a lot of talent on the women's side and they just keep getting more every year. Hats off to Kinsey Coles, Amanda Thieschafer, Margo Knorr, Cortney Christensen, Rachel Kraft, the pole vaulters and all the rest. They're going to lose some key people but they lost some of the best ever last year and kept right at the top of the nation. Outstanding.

And the guys, who'd have thought that a northern school like NDSU could have so much speed. I would have thought that NDSU's strengths would be the distance and weight events because the sprinting weather is not so great in Fargo most years. Nice job in the decathlon :) They have a great shot at a top three finish next year.

Bring on DI.

SDSUFAN
05-29-2003, 11:08 PM
Congradulations to my fellow SDSU alum, Don Larson. He apparently has a great program, staff and your facilities are some of the best in the NCC.

I think SDSU would need to do a bunch things to get Coach Larson to move down the road 190 miles to the south. We need to build a new outdoor tack. Frost Arena is great for basketball, but when all the bleachers are pulled out and in place, the indoor track is not useable.

We got old SDSU guys from the 1940's and 1950's who were coached by the late Jim Emmerich who wonder why SDSU can do no more than 4th in indoor and outdoor in the NCC. If these guys would just open their pocketbooks, they could make a big difference and who knows maybe Coach Larson might be lured south.

BisonMav
05-29-2003, 11:15 PM
Posted by: SDSUFAN Posted on: Today at 5:08pm
If these guys would just open their pocketbooks, they could make a big difference and who knows maybe Coach Larson might be lured south.

You can't have him! ;D

tony
05-30-2003, 09:04 PM
I think that women's team was awfully impressive because so many of them had their best-ever performances at the national championships. That's a credit to them and their coaching (nicer weather than Fargo's had this year probably didn't hurt either).

I checked out gobison.com and saw that Kinsey Coles, Amanda Thieschafer, and Cortney Christensen all set NDSU records. Christensen took 30 seconds off her 3000m steeplechase record! Coles took off 3.5 seconds off her NCC championship time in the 400m hurdles.

Rachel Kraft (800m) and Margo Knorr (high jump) also had personal bests in their events. Jessica Roehrick came with 1/4" of her personal best in the pole vault too. The 1600m relay team managed to cut over 22 seconds off their best time for the year - so that means they were running about 55 second 400 meters!

This may have been the most outstanding team effort in the history of NDSU athletics. I love track more than most but it's still a shame that this wasn't better reported in the North Dakota media.