PDA

View Full Version : DI Track Talent In North Dakota

tony
05-23-2005, 06:25 PM
I've always been surprised how good North Dakota track is. I read an article in the Bismarck Tribune about a shot putter from Bismarck Century, Josh Kary, who has the 12th best throw in the nation so far (60+ feet). Apparently he has an offer and is leaning towards NDSU. He's bound to get lots of other DI offer though.

CHS's Kary improves into national contender (http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2005/05/21/sports/local/spt01.txt) By KERRY COLLINS, Bismarck Tribune.

tony
06-01-2005, 04:02 PM
I could just as well posted this under the "Local recruits" thread... but there is an amazing amount of DI track talent in North Dakota. It's not like NDSU got every great senior track athlete but they got a big chunk of them. Ryan Chappelle is one who got away. The outstanding distance runner, Benson County's Krista Anderson, is likely going to Arkansas, Wisconsin, or Wisconsin. Amanda Solberg from Minot is going to throw for the U of Minnesota. There is just a ton of great talent in ND for track.

With NDSU going DI, that means a lot of good weather meets and that is great for avoiding injuries and whatnot. Plus, NDSU has a very good coaching staff and really develops athletes.

Anyway, I'm not sure of who all is going to NDSU for track but here are some of the ones I know of:

Heather Zander from Mandan. In cold and wet conditions, she won three events (100, 200, and 100 hurdles) and took third in the long jump and she set state records in the 100 and 200 and was .1 of a second off her own state record in the 100 hurdles.

McKenzie Mehlisch from Fargo South. She won the long jump with a state record, took first in the 300 hurdles and triple jump, and finished second to Heather Zander in the 100 hurdles.

Halley Odegaard from Kindred already holds the state record in the high jump and won it again for the fifth straight year. Also placed in the long jump and took third in the triple.

Nora Narloch from Grand Forks Red River took second in both the 1600 and 3200 (I think she cut about 20 seconds off her season's best time in the 3200!).

Brittni Bruenjes from Valley City took second to Mehlisch in both the triple jump (she won it the previous four years) and long jump.

There are some local track recruits from NW Minnesota but they haven't had the state meet yet - don't want to jinx anybody.

I'm probably missing some people too. The state site didn't have the guys' results up yet, but I do know that NDSU signed Devin Hiller from Wahpeton and Jayce Miller from Minot - they went 1 and 2 in the 400.

Not a bad year at all - I'm already eager to see where juniors like Whitney Carlson ( she already has 13 state titles and two state records, the long jump and 100 hurdles) goes to. I'm thinking that North Dakota has such a disportionate amount of DI talent because we have such a high rate of participation in track. Same goes for outstate Minnesota.

MinotBison
06-01-2005, 04:15 PM
You could also mention Krista Anderson from Leeds who who just signed with Iowa.

I am sure NDSU will be getting more of these outstanding recruits as time goes on.

IowaBison
06-01-2005, 04:22 PM
You could also mention Krista Anderson from Leeds who who just signed with Iowa.

I am sure NDSU will be getting more of these outstanding recruits as time goes on.

just hush hush between the select chosen few here on bisonville

Anderson wanted to come to NDSU but would have never had a chance to compete at the end of the season until spring of '09.

she does have a younger sister though.....

MinotBison
06-01-2005, 05:52 PM
just hush hush between the select chosen few here on bisonville

Anderson wanted to come to NDSU but would have never had a chance to compete at the end of the season until spring of '09.

she does have a younger sister though.....

A younger sister who may be even better than her older sister and who (I think) is only a freshman or sophomore.

IowaBison
06-01-2005, 07:05 PM
will be a sophomore in the fall

lindsay has beaten her sister quite a few times

tony
06-09-2005, 02:51 PM
An additional signee:

DeeRae Honl from Lidgerwood took second to Halley Odegaard in the high jump and had a best of 5' 8 this year. That height probably doesn't mean much to casual track fans but that kind of jump would have tied for first in the Independent championships this year (5-8.75 took 2nd in the Big 10 championship this year as well). I think she had signed with NDSCS for volleyball.

Bison_Thrower
09-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Hey, This is Josh Kary
I found it kind of weird yet flattering that I was being talked about on this. Thanks Though. I was just going to let you know if you haven't already that I aam attending NDSU, and planning on doing my Best. Thanks Again

Josh Kary

sambini
09-04-2005, 06:54 PM
Good job Josh and welcome to NDSU TRACK AND FIELD.