PDA

View Full Version : Best ND State HS Track meet ever?

tony
05-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Best ever on the girls' side for sure - holy cow. There were so many state records broken or shattered that it is hard to find them all to keep them all straight.

Whitney Carlson's times and distances spanked the 100 meter record, 200 meter record, 300 meter hurdles record and the long jump record (I guess she's not getting the 100 meter record because the wind was a tish too strong). She even has two other two records from other meets (100 hurdles and 4x400 relays). If they had counted her 100 time, then Carlson would have had 5 individual state records (not just Class B, but overall records). I'm not sure how many state titles she has - 17 or 19 (max of four per year).

Christine Bruins, also a future Bison, got four titles too (400, 800, and two 4x400 and 4x800 relays).

Laura Roesler, an 8th grade version of Whitney Carlson, won the 100, 200, 400, and 800 all with college-level times. Heck, you'd think Whitney Carlson would be a once-in-a-lifetime athlete. This young Roesler is nearly as good - of course, girls can peak a lot earlier than guys. Still, an incredible weekend for her.

Lindsay Anderson continued her track dominance by winning the 1600 and 3200. Kristen Killoran broke the old state record in the long jump along with Whitney Carlson - any other year she'd have won... however, she and her teammates set an overall state record for the 4x200 meter relay (which is really hard for a Class B team to do) and she won the triple jump by going over 38'.

Emily Eslinger won the shot put and is going to NDSU. Sara Neubauer from Bottineau won the discus and javelin with state record tosses - she's a senior, don't know where or if she's going to college. Another Bottineau girl, Kelsey Aide, pole vaulted 12'4 (obviously a state record).

Not to mention that the Class A girls team championship come down to the last event and a freak DQ gave the title to Bismarck by 1/2 a point... that's drama.

Nothing could top what the girls did, but Eric Stroh ran a 1:53 in the 800 meters, Weston Leutz ran under 14 in the 110 hurdles (smashing the old 110 record), and Blake Bowers broke the 400 meter record (state overall) - that's incredible considering some of the 400 meter runners that have come out of ND (Jared Essler, Jerry Boschee, Derrick Moore, James Molstre, etc). Dickinson's 4x400 relay team breaking the overall state record handily was amazing too since their average split was 50.45 (and 50.75 won the Class A 400 meter) and none of those guys are seniors! Bowers and Leutz are juniors and already two of the best ever - should be a great meet next year.

Not to mention some other nice performances like Cody Gronvold dropping 2 seconds off his time in the prelims of the 300 hurdles to win the event for Rugby was and Sam Larson winning both the 1600 and 3200 with very good times. *John Peabody from Beulah won the high jump and placed 2nd in the shot put and discus - I haven't heard of that happening too often, but I'm thinking that guy could be a decent decathlete for Jamestown College if he wants.

MinotBison
05-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Best ever on the girls' side for sure - holy cow. There were so many state records broken or shattered that it is hard to find them all to keep them all straight.

Whitney Carlson's times and distances spanked the 100 meter record, 200 meter record, 300 meter hurdles record and the long jump record (I guess she's not getting the 100 meter record because the wind was a tish too strong). She even has two other two records from other meets (100 hurdles and 4x400 relays). If they had counted her 100 time, then Carlson would have had 5 individual state records (not just Class B, but overall records). I'm not sure how many state titles she has - 17 or 19 (max of four per year).

Christine Bruins, also a future Bison, got four titles too (400, 800, and two 4x400 and 4x800 relays).

Laura Roesler, an 8th grade version of Whitney Carlson, won the 100, 200, 400, and 800 all with college-level times. Heck, you'd think Whitney Carlson would be a once-in-a-lifetime athlete. This young Roesler is nearly as good - of course, girls can peak a lot earlier than guys. Still, an incredible weekend for her.

Lindsay Anderson continued her track dominance by winning the 1600 and 3200. Kristen Killoran broke the old state record in the long jump along with Whitney Carlson - any other year she'd have won... however, she and her teammates set an overall state record for the 4x200 meter relay (which is really hard for a Class B team to do) and she won the triple jump by going over 38'.

Emily Eslinger won the shot put and is going to NDSU. Sara Neubauer from Bottineau won the discus and javelin with state record tosses - she's a senior, don't know where or if she's going to college. Another Bottineau girl, Kelsey Aide, pole vaulted 12'4 (obviously a state record).

Not to mention that the Class A girls team championship come down to the last event and a freak DQ gave the title to Bismarck by 1/2 a point... that's drama.

Nothing could top what the girls did, but Eric Stroh ran a 1:53 in the 800 meters, Weston Leutz ran under 14 in the 110 hurdles (smashing the old 110 record), and Blake Bowers broke the 400 meter record (state overall) - that's incredible considering some of the 400 meter runners that have come out of ND (Jared Essler, Jerry Boschee, Derrick Moore, James Molstre, etc). Dickinson's 4x400 relay team breaking the overall state record handily was amazing too since their average split was 50.45 (and 50.75 won the Class A 400 meter) and none of those guys are seniors! Bowers and Leutz are juniors and already two of the best ever - should be a great meet next year.

Not to mention some other nice performances like Cody Gronvold dropping 2 seconds off his time in the prelims of the 300 hurdles to win the event for Rugby was and Sam Larson winning both the 1600 and 3200 with very good times. *John Peabody from Beulah won the high jump and placed 2nd in the shot put and discus - I haven't heard of that happening too often, but I'm thinking that guy could be a decent decathlete for Jamestown College if he wants.

Lindsay Anderson I believe is only a sophomore. Wow. Also hopefully a future Bison.

And I think that one of the Bottineau girls is going to the Air Force Academy.

I would say that the future of women's track at NDSU is very bright indeed. ;D ;D

sambini
06-04-2006, 09:34 AM
WESTON LUETZ SON OF FORMER BISON GREAT AND HALL OF FAMER TOM LUETZ.

IowaBison
06-05-2006, 05:22 PM
It would be really nice to get Lindsay after loosing her sister to Iowa/post season ineligiblity.

In addition to being a fantastic runner, she's a nice kid as well.

My dream is for Krista to come back and be GA/coach and for Lindsay to run.

tony
06-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Lots of talent in North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota... North Dakota girls would have won a whole lot of events at the Wisconsin state meet - and set at least three state records too... Carlson marks demolished two WI records and the pole vaulter from Bottineau would have gotten the pole vault.

Fasterthansatter
06-08-2006, 03:04 AM
WESTON LUETZ SON OF FORMER BISON GREAT AND HALL OF FAMER TOM LUETZ.

And Lars' daughter Kelsie took 2nd in the long jump. If you ask Lars, the one to watch in the Larson family is his 11 year old. I guess she already runs a 13.3 100.

sambini
06-09-2006, 03:04 AM
THAT IS KIERRA. IT RUNS IN THE FAMILY+++++++++++++

Bison13
09-14-2006, 04:11 AM
Its kinda crazy that I taught Laura Roesler and her sister in an art class back when I was in high school. I think she was in 2nd or 3rd grade back then. Yea those two would fight back and forth all night. Good thing my track backround rubbed off on her.....She will be in the headlines for years to come