PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Volleyball @ #6 Minnesota Friday

Bryan
08-31-2005, 03:56 AM
NDSU will play at Minnesota this weekend along with Xavier and Central Florida in the Diet Coke Classic. This will be Minnesota's season opener coming off of back to back Final Four Appearances including a runner-up finish to Stanford last year. The Gophers did lose three very good starters and will be very young and inexperienced, but the talent level has never been higher. They do have two returning First Team All-Americans and a five member recruiting class that was regarded as the nations best with all five recruits being ranked in the top 40 and this summer added two highly regarded transfer OH's from Arizona and USC. That said, this will be the first time all of those new faces will play together in a game that counts so while I don't think NDSU can win, maybe they can give them a good match.

http://www.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=360

roadwarrior
09-03-2005, 04:22 AM
The Bison were no match for the Gophers tonight as we lost 30-20, 30-13 and 30-14. The Gophers are a highly ranked program and deservedly so. They make few errors and are very quick. They have a freshman player from Nebraska that is 6'4.

The match was a whole different atmosphere from the Bison matches. Full student band playing all through the evening. The crowd chanting, "POINT U", every time the Gophers scored. Not a huge crowd, but school has not started at the U. Quite a few Bison supporters scattered around the building.

Hopefully the Bison will rebound on saturday with matches against Xavier and Central Florida.

GO BISON!

kchats
09-03-2005, 05:11 AM
Roadwarrior, do you think the Bison appear more talented this season? I am looking forward to seeing them play Missouri State here in Springfield later this month. I think we might match up pretty well with them.

sambini
09-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the report Roadwarrior. The gophers play Nebraska on monday who is ranked 1.

silkamilkamonico
09-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Roadwarrior, do you think the Bison appear more talented this season? *I am looking forward to seeing them play Missouri State here in Springfield later this month. *I think we might match up pretty well with them.

The Bison probably have their most talented team since Bina has taken over the program, but they are very young.

Only 1 senior and a handfull of Jr's, the rest are freshman and sophomores.

They are exciting to watch, and they have an outstanding freshman starting on the outside in Kelly Lopez who was recruited by several Big 10 teams, including the Gophers.

Bryan
09-03-2005, 10:17 PM
From the Gophers website

Minnesota Defeats Central Florida in Three Games
September 3, 2005 - The Minnesota volleyball team (2-0) defeated Central Florida (0-4) in three games by scores of 30-13, 30-21, 30-26 at the Diet Coke Classic on Saturday, Sept. 3 in the Sports Pavilion. With the win, the Golden Gophers moved to 2-0 in the Diet Coke Classic, while Central Florida fell to 0-2.
Xavier defeated North Dakota State in four games in the first match by scores of 30-32, 30-26, 30-19, 30-27. The Musketeers moved to 2-0 in the tournament with the win, while North Dakota State fell to 0-2. Xavier will face Minnesota for the tournament championship at 7:30 p.m., while North Dakota State and Central Florida will play at 5 p.m.

RxBison
09-05-2005, 01:04 AM
The Bison were no match for the Gophers tonight as we lost 30-20, 30-13 and 30-14. *The Gophers are a highly ranked program and deservedly so. *They make few errors and are very quick. *They have a freshman player from Nebraska that is 6'4. *

The match was a whole different atmosphere from the Bison matches. *Full student band playing all through the evening. *The crowd chanting, "POINT U", every time the Gophers scored. *Not a huge crowd, but school has not started at the U. *Quite a few Bison supporters scattered around the building.

Hopefully the Bison will rebound on saturday with matches against Xavier and Central Florida.

GO BISON!

At NDSU VB games, the Bison have a similar "Point Bison" after each point for the Bison, but the crowd won't always join in.

I went to the U of M Tourney. The Bison are much improved over last year. I was impressed with the True Freshmen Kelly Lopez and it was nice to see Kim Hebl back on the court. Some of the other girls have also stepped it up. I'm happy to see many more home games on the schedule this season.

roadwarrior
09-05-2005, 02:49 AM
I would urge anyone that has the chance to watch the volleyball team this year to do so. They are not quite at the level of the competition that they faced at the U of Minnesota tourney, but I'm sure that they will improve as the season progresses.

sambini
09-05-2005, 03:51 AM
They play at home this weekend 6 ranked uofwashington huskies. A final four team from last year.

kchats
09-05-2005, 03:58 AM
I plan on catching them at Missouri State University on the 24th of September at least once out of their 4 matches.

sambini
09-05-2005, 04:00 AM
KCHATS WHAT IS MISSOURI STATE? Were they called something else before?

kchats
09-05-2005, 04:08 AM
They were Southwest Missouri State University here in Springfield, Missouri. They officially changed their name to Missouri State a couple of weeks ago. They are really pumped about the change. They consider this change similar to what Southwest Texas State did when they switched to Texas State a while back. Their women's basketball team won the Women's NIT last year, hosted all the tournament games because they draw so well. Here is a story out of today's paper on it. I am also posting a story about their football game against Arkansas Saturday night.

http://www.springfieldnews-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050904/SPORTS0401/509040380/1002/SPORTS

http://www.springfieldnews-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050904/SPORTS0401/509040379/1002/SPORTS

Bryan
09-06-2005, 12:25 AM
<Thanks for the report Roadwarrior. The gophers play Nebraska on monday who is ranked 1. >

Just back from the Minnesota/Nebraska match and WOW is all I can say. Nebraska won games 1 and 2, Minnesota took 3 and 4, and the Cornhuskers escaped with a 15-12 win in game 5. Nebraksa has now defeated #4,5,6 ranked teams in the country although Minn. was the first to take a game from them all season and did it without the two transfers who will be impact players later in the season. Washington is very, very good but are untested this season like most of the other top 5 teams. Talked to a couple of the Gopher regulars and insiders and they all said that NDSU will be a good d 1 team in time and everybody likes Lopez and her future. It says alot about the respect for NDSU's coach and program that Final four teams like Minnesota and Washington want to play them.

roadwarrior
09-06-2005, 12:44 AM
One thing that I forgot to mention from friday nights match between the Bison and the Gophers. *When Bison assistant coach Lisa Axel was introduced she got a huge ovation. *She must have been a great player for the Gophers!

Its great to see coach Bina schedule all of these tough teams to start the season. *I'm sure the team is better than their current 0-6 record shows.