PDA

View Full Version : embarassing vb loss

fanfan
10-12-2005, 02:06 PM
anyone else dissapointed with how the volleyball team played last night? ??? :-[

We should not lose to a DII school

mikelsch
10-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Consistently losing this badly at NDSU is not tolerated, even for a transitioning program. The volleyball team is taking all backwards steps, and shows no signs of improving anytime soon. Volleyball is not progressing to DI anywhere near the same manner as football and socccer of the fall sports. Bina's record during DII should buy her one more season to turn this ship around. If she doesn't, then it is time to let her go and bring in someone with true DI experience.

bisongold
10-12-2005, 07:57 PM
Absolutely, the buck stops with the coach!! One more year maximum, and it will probably be a wasted year at that. Get a new coach.

coloradobison
10-12-2005, 08:10 PM
didnt the vb team lose their setter? granted at a D-I level, you should have a backup, but its hard to compete when you cant get the ball to the right spots for scoring.

fanfan
10-12-2005, 08:30 PM
I do agree the setter injury is a huge problem but, excuses can't be tolerated. Every team has to deal with injuries. I think we made a huge mistake by picking the volleyball team to be post season eligible instead of the soccer team. Mark my words NDSU VB will not be able to compete at the DI level. FB will be fine because there is a IAA level. There isn't a little guy level for the rest of our teams.

NoDakSt
10-12-2005, 09:12 PM
So if the football team loses its top two quarterback candidates over the course of the next game it's good bye coach?

I'm just trying to apply the same logic.

bisongold
10-12-2005, 09:16 PM
I would think that there is more than one setter on the team to start with and should have made considerable progress by now. No, more than missing a setter seems to be wrong here.

NoDakSt
10-12-2005, 10:04 PM
The Bison have been using a converted MH as a setter while the starting setter is out and the back-up setter works her way back into the rotation after being injured.

tony
10-12-2005, 11:24 PM
It sure was a nice win for Moorhead - 27 years since their last win? Holy cow.

Anyway, I don't see NDSU changing any coaches during the provisional period. I checked the Dragons record and they aren't a bad VB team. They're undefeated, 6-0, against the NCC (they haven't played UN-O or Duluth though).

Anyway, the loss is disappointing but understandable considering the opponent and the Bison injuries.

Get the VB team fully funded. Make sure the recruiting budget is commensurate with the FB or BB teams. Make sure they have the facilities they need. Get the VB team a conference. In short, we have to hold up NDSU's end of the bargain before looking at the coach - at least that's what I think.

kchats
10-13-2005, 01:34 AM
Good points Tony. There were alot of injuries and different lineups because of that. Recruiting is tough with no conference.

sambini
10-13-2005, 02:35 AM
MSUM was the better team. I went and thought the Bison were out of sync.

silkamilkamonico
10-13-2005, 04:28 AM
Some ridiculous posts in this thread.

Both of NDSU's setter's are injured.

NDSU has their best outside hitter setting, which is a downgrade at the setting position because of injuries, and a downgrade and the outside hitting position due to experience and talent.

Your not going to have a RB or a WR come into the QB position and run an effective offense. *It just isn't going to happen.

MSU is a nationally ranked Division 2 team, and keep in mind they are undefeated against every NCC foe they have faced this year. *Granted it is still Division 2, *but it's not like it's UND or anything. *MSU has a very strong program.

Sure the team is struggling, but a panic button on the coach and program is hardly necessary. *This is the same team that has held high accolades from the best coaches in all of Division 1, even with the injuries. *This is also a program that already has a highly touted recruit, and an extremely young team that will field everyone back next year with the exception of 1.

And no, despite some of the comments I have seen in this thread, the team is NOT taking steps backward, it's dealing with adversity at the moment and trying to find a way to make the best of it.

Someone inform the armchair fans that we are in a transitional period going Division 1. *Immediately.

See Yuz.

Bisonguy
10-13-2005, 04:33 AM
++

bisongold
10-13-2005, 05:15 AM
What other type of fans are there except armchair fans!! The loss to MSU is one thing...they are a good team. What about the other, is it 21 losses??

silkamilkamonico
10-13-2005, 06:12 AM
It's a team with 21(?) losses struggling and dealing with adversity. *

They aren't getting worse. *It's not like they are regressing as a team and individual players. *It's not like the coaches and players are quitting, sitting on the benefits of their paycheck or scholarship. *I can assure you that this season has been extremely frustrating and disappointing for everyone involved in the program.

They go to work everyday. *They do conditioning, lifting, and work hard at practice, trying to better the situation.

They don't even have a setter at practice that can consistently set the ball to the location that is needed, to run plays in an offense.

It's not like the setter just "throws the ball up and hopes it's in the right location". *They have trained a good majority of their volleyball career understanding the setting position, reading the defense's blockers, having consistent hands and the ability to adjust to each individual hitters "window" of contacting the ball.

Other programs have the oppurtunity to run progressing practices. *

NDSU has had to break them down into primitive sections because they don't have a setter to run the plays. *They have to train an OH to learn the "basics" of the setting position, and work with making the hands consistent.

If you have an oppurtunity to watch an NDSU game, notice how the other team is consistently running an offense, while NDSU is consistently backed up on their heels playing defense just trying to keep the ball in play.

Unfortunately the games I have watched, they have lost focused on other areas as well, probably because there is no comfort atmosphere out on the court. *They have had to adjust.

Sure it's been ugly, but Zaundra has been successful at every level she has coached. *We haven't even played a full Division 1 schedule yet.

I can't even think of a sport that you could equate the importance of the setting position. *It's like playing college baseball, and having the difference between a pitcher that can throw a full menu of pitches, to another pitcher that just tries to get the ball over the plate.

See Yuz.

mikelsch
10-13-2005, 06:43 PM
Sure hope you are right, but it looks backwards to me when so many mistakes each match are due to losing concentration. A lot of that is due to coaching...similar to the Babich era. Bohl took virtually the same team and turned them back into winners. Another similarity between those two teams is all the injuries. That's why I said, give Bina one more year and if no improvement, then it's time to consider moving on. Success at one level (DII) doesn't necessarily mean you have what it takes in DI.

silkamilkamonico
10-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Well, you could argue that the concentrtion errors are due to the team trying to do to much to compensate for not having a natural setter.

I'm curious on what some people might think concentration errors are exactly in volleyball? *That's an abstract excuse in any sport, whether it's legit or not.

As far as being successful in D1, you need the right players for that. NDSU doesn't even have the right players to be successful at a high school level right now, and that's fact. You can't possibly be competitive in a sport like volleyball if you can't run an offense. You need a setter to run an offense.

See Yuz.

fanfan
10-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Bina knew they were going DI for how long? Prepare your team for being DI, Why you wouldn't have a libero or right side hitter who can set is stupid and careless on her part. Didn't Amy lose two point guards to acl's (Molly Reif and Fisher?)a few years back and they gutted it out. Bottom line is that Bina didn't recruit DI kids and knowing she has the first opportunity for playoffs was stupid on her part!

kchats
10-14-2005, 01:01 AM
I wonder how many of you that are complaining about the program have actually went out and supported them by attending their matches. I attended a couple of matches when the team played here in Springfield and yes they struggled but they played very hard. The teams that they played against had alot of foreign players (Brazil and European). The quick fix most programs use is to recruit foreign players and instantly upgrade your program. NDSU is trying to build a program with freshmen players recruited out of high school. I visited with a players parent here in Springfield and she told me that part of the adjustment is division I volleyball is played higher above the net with more power in the hits. She also said that recruiting has been a struggle since the Bison aren't in a conference. Give Zaundra the chance to build a division I program, I'm sure she is seeing what type of team she has and what type of players she needs as she plays all the division I programs. I'm confident that when the Bison get their setters healthy and have time to work with them they will improve their play.

silkamilkamonico
10-14-2005, 04:17 AM
Bina knew they were going DI for how long? *Prepare your team for being DI, Why you wouldn't have a libero or right side hitter who can set is stupid and careless on her part. *Didn't Amy lose two point guards to acl's (Molly Reif and Fisher?)a few years back and they gutted it out. *Bottom line is that Bina didn't recruit DI kids and knowing she has the first opportunity for playoffs was stupid on her part!

Right, because everyone knows playing point guard in basketball is the exact same as playing the setter position in volleyball. *

::)

You could have helped her out then by forcasting that both of her setters would be injured so she could have recruited another setter.

And for the last time, Libero and right side are NOT setters. *It's too completely different positions. *It's not an easy sport like basketball where you can just throw in Jane Doe to get the job done.

And as far as the comment about not recruiting D1 kids, she stole a recruit in Lopez that was tops on virtually every one of the Big 10 schools list. Unfortuantely for the team this year, she is not a setter.

Keep reaching.......

See Yuz.

silkamilkamonico
10-14-2005, 04:22 AM
And as far as the season is going, Bina is doing an excellent job preparing the girls for next year.

Instead of going with the standard 7, 8 player rotation that colleges stick with, she is playing everyone.

Giving everyone experience and playing time, someone will step up next year that may not have had that oppurtunity.

She will have a solid 8 player rotation next year, to make a push when both of the setters are healthy to compete for the starting position.

fanfan
10-14-2005, 03:14 PM
as far as stealing lopez, get real. being on a big 10 schools recruiting list and being "the" #1 recruit are 2 completely differant things. Every major college recruits at least 3 & 4 deep at each position. If they don't get their #1 then they move on down the list. Who in their right mind wouldn't pick going to the U of MN for Volleyball instead of a provisional DI school with no conference? Maybe Lopez didn't want to take on the committment and the challenge of playing BIG TIME DI vb. I'll bet she wasn't their #1 choice, just on their back-up list. The U isn't going to lose their #1 pick to us!

silkamilkamonico
10-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Who in their right mind wouldn't pick going to the U of MN for Volleyball instead of a provisional DI school with no conference?

Someone who valued staying as close as possible to home and rates family as her #1 priority.

She also wanted to be the start of something strong at NDSU. She's been going to NDSU camps she was in 6th grade so she's extremely familiar with Bina and NDSU, and felt comfortable.

You made a statement that "Bina didn't recruit D1 kids", I showed you she recruited a special D1 kid. I don't know where else you can reach.

Christy Stuewe was also recruited by numerous mid major D1 volleyball programs.

As far as the other young ones, you don't know who they were recruited by. Your speculating.

I'm just wondering where your getting "Bina didn't recruit D1 kids" from.

See Yuz.

fanfan
10-14-2005, 09:35 PM
if she recruited dI kids they wouldn't be 1-27 is that were at now with the losses?

kchats
10-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Teams also lose because of injuries that cause inconsistency. If you take the main cog out of something (setter) it disrupts the entire team. The new setter is learning how to do things and the other players are probably trying to compensate for the new setter so they do things a little differently and pretty soon all the stuff you do instinctively is gone. Nobody has said the Bison aren't talented they are just struggling competing against good competition as a team. Volleyball is a team sport and it takes continuity to be able to become consistent in what you are doing. The only area I noticed that they struggle that is an individual thing is they have quite a few unforced errors while they are serving.

kchats
10-14-2005, 11:44 PM
A good example of this involves the Kansas City Chiefs offense. They are one of the better offenses in the league and in the first game they started out looking like they were going to dominate again. About halfway through the first quarter Willie Roaf pulled his hamstring and since then their offense has been mediocre to poor. Other than Willie Roaf the rest of the offense is the same but they look lost and can't move the ball consistently. When Willie returns this weekend it will be interesting to see if they are back to one of the best offenses in the NFL.

A setter in volleyball that is consistent in her location helps with passing and kills since they understand where she will be and she understands what play is the best for what the opponent is doing.

silkamilkamonico
10-15-2005, 12:28 AM
if she recruited dI kids they wouldn't be 1-27 is that were at now with the losses? *

Tell that to the Montana state University Bobcat football team.

So I guess I give up then. It's quite obvious you don't know what your talking about.

Yes the team is struggling.

Yes it's been frustrating.

Yes it's been disappoingting to everyone involved in the program, fans, and NDSU in general.

But no, it's not solely because Bina didn't recruit any D1 kids. When it's a proven fact that she did. Keep trying.....

See Yuz.

sambini
10-15-2005, 05:44 AM
Tough loss tonite to UT PAN AMERICAN. The ladies played hard and the effort was there. Hang in there Z and ladies.

Jeffdaryl3rd
10-23-2005, 01:40 AM
In my opinion there are two ways you can go about building a D1 program from scratch, as most of the teams besides football are right now. You can start off signing more experienced juco or four-year transfers which may help you to win a few more games right away, but may have a slightly lower ceiling down the road. Or you can do what Bina is doing, and sign the best high school kids you can get your hands on and throw them into the fire. I'm not sure what the juco scene looks like in VB, but hindsight being 20/20 maybe Bina should have gone with more of a mix (if there are juco players available like there are in football, baseball etc,). For my part though, I think that because she has been here and has been successful as a D-II coach she probably deserves to get another shot at it next season.

BisonSig
11-03-2005, 06:09 AM
Hey all,

There is a lot more wrong on this team then we have two injured setters. We also have no go to player or team leader, our passing is atrocious and don't even talk about how poor our serving looks.

We have a very young team. Zaundra will work with these girls and they will get better. She will also continue to recruit STUDENT-athletes that will continue to be positive rolemodels for young volleyball players in our region.

mikelsch
11-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Hopefully they can work on the ATHLETE and COACHING part while they're fixing things

sambini
11-04-2005, 04:37 AM
Utah Valley State 3 NDSU 0 HANG IN THERE LADIES..

kchats
11-04-2005, 04:44 AM
Were they at least close in the scores again tonight? They seem to be playing the other teams much closer and the scores of the individual games within the matches bear this out. I think they have improved as the season has gone on but they lost so much confidence early in the season that they haven't been able to get out of that hole.

silkamilkamonico
11-05-2005, 05:33 AM
Hey all,

There is a lot more wrong on this team then we have two injured setters. *We also have no go to player or team leader, our passing is atrocious and don't even talk about how poor our serving looks.

Our "go to player" and "team leader" is playing out of posiution right now at setter and on the RS. That pretty much negates everything she brings to the table on the outside because they are 2 completely different positions.

sambini
11-05-2005, 05:35 AM
NICE WIN TONITE LADIES 3-2 OVER AIR FORCE.

scottheck
11-05-2005, 08:30 PM
There was an earlier post about giving the coaches time during the transition phase and, from hearing Lynn talk, I think that will be the case here. Showing improvement will probably be important.

At no level, HS, college or post-college, has Z had experience with losing. This is new to her and she is taking it very seriously. Her old vball friends are very concerned and helping out where ever possible.

OCBison
01-29-2006, 11:18 AM
There was an earlier post about giving the coaches time during the transition phase and, from hearing Lynn talk, I think that will be the case here. *Showing improvement will probably be important.

At no level, HS, college or post-college, has Z had experience with losing. *This is new to her and she is taking it very seriously. *Her old vball friends are very concerned and helping out where ever possible.

So I guess Lynn didn't give Z that much time after the season ended for the team to show improvement. ;)

Again, looking at things honestly I think everyone will have to admit that at the DII level the Bison's VB facility was pretty impressive, especially when it was packed for an important NCC match.

However at the DI level when you're not playing in a conference it's a facility that falls woefully short of impressing recruits.

I wonder if some of those "philosophical differences" between Lynn and Z revolved around renovations and/or upgrades to the team's playing facilities?

bisonranch
01-29-2006, 04:06 PM
However at the DI level when you're not playing in a conference it's a facility that falls woefully short of impressing recruits.

Hopefully they'll be playing in a remodeled BSA soon. Perhaps they're putting money in to the BSA rather than just building a new arena so it will be a nice facility for other sports.

scottheck
01-29-2006, 04:08 PM
So I guess Lynn didn't give Z that much time after the season ended for the team to show improvement. *;)

Again, looking at things honestly I think everyone will have to admit that at the DII level the Bison's VB facility was pretty impressive, especially when it was packed for an important NCC match.

I wonder if some of those "philosophical differences" between Lynn and Z revolved around renovations and/or upgrades to the team's playing facilities?

This situation has me befuddled, thus I have not posted about it. As I referenced before, it sounded like she would have some time to "fix" things. It must be the developments after the season that pushed the situation over the edge.

It's unfortunate and I'm sure Z is not taking it well. During the season, her friends were, jokingly, on "suicide" watch, trying to make light of how serious Z was taking it...

sambini
01-29-2006, 06:11 PM
Has anyone talked to her since she resigned? I sure hope she falls back on her feet again.

OCBison
01-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Like I'm an expert on the subject but for as long as I've known Z she's been incredibly competitive. Whether it's on the golf course, racquetball court or the volleyball court. She has a desire to succeed.

That's why I'm sure this season was incredibly difficult and probably quite painful for her.

She's a fighter and she'll be back on her feet in no time. Don't be surprised if it's not in the coaching field though.

silkamilkamonico
01-30-2006, 07:49 PM
She's a fighter and she'll be back on her feet in no time. *Don't be surprised if it's not in the coaching field though.

Really? You think the tolls of coaching have weighed in on her too high?

It's a stressfull profession, and I would certainly think at the college level when you have to deal with recruiting and politics and all that other stuff that goes along with it.