PDA

View Full Version : Coach Zaundra Bina resigns as volleyball coach

kchats
01-25-2006, 06:50 PM
On GoBison.com there is a story regarding the resignation of head volleyball coach Zaundra Bina. I would like to wish her well in her future endeavors and thank her for 11 years as head volleyball coach.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=227386

tony
01-25-2006, 07:24 PM
WOW! That is really too bad. I hope that Coach Bina has a lot of success at whatever she does next. I'm kind of in shock.

Hopefully it works out for everybody in the end - Bina and the women in the VB program.

MinotBison
01-25-2006, 07:55 PM
On GoBison.com there is a story regarding the resignation of head volleyball coach Zaundra Bina. *I would like to wish her well in her future endeavors and thank her for 11 years as head volleyball coach.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=227386

Do they any timetable for having a new coach in place?

When can recruits be signed for VB?

MinotBison
01-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Any thoughts on who might be the next coach?

I do think the candidate pool will indeed be very impressive.

silkamilkamonico
01-25-2006, 10:45 PM
I'm kind of baffled on this one.

If it had something to do with the season, she would have resigned at the end of the year, I would think anyways.

I know she has had some opposing issues with a couple of her players, and maybe because they couldn't be resolved, either she, or the administration, felt it was time to move forward.

I cannot think one name that will be mentioned in the next coaching prospects.

Hopefully they will hire one soon though, it's not good at all for a transitional team to go too long without a coach.

kylelcarlson
01-25-2006, 10:57 PM
Forced resignation.

sambini
01-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Well I want to thank Zaundra personaly for getting my daughter interested in volleyball. You are one first class lady. Good luck in your future.

GFBison
01-26-2006, 12:43 AM
Sounds to me like she stood by her principles and coaching philosophy. In a case like that I like to think of it as the employee firing the employer.

Good luck Coach Bina!

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-26-2006, 02:11 AM
Allow me to play the dissenting voice as say that this move is long overdue. 5-31, one win against a team with a winning record (Texas Pan-American 19-15) and the teams the beat:
Centenary 12-26
Air Force 0-11
Providence 5-21 x 2
Texas-Pan American 19-15
For those of you keeping track at home, that is 41-94 for a robust winning percentage of .304. Even more depressing than the few teams they managed to beat was the way they lost. 31 losses, managing only 14 game wins in those losses, less than one win per two matches. Now I know that there were some injury issues last year, but I think some new blood has to be brought in.

bisongold
01-26-2006, 05:31 AM
I agree... a program that was wasn't going anywhere.

tophatfan
01-26-2006, 07:20 AM
the forum reported that 5 players had left the program after this past season no matter any coaches past success if you lose 5 players a change must be made.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=115556&section=Sports

OCBison
01-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Imagine that! A coach having philosophical differences with Lynn Dorn. Not the first time it's happenend in the Athletic Department and I'm sure it's not going to be the last either.

Focusing more on Z here...what are some of the reasons that the team's record and play took such a dramatic downturn during the last two seasons?

They had a tough year in 2002, rebounded well for 2003 and then the program crashed.

Was it the transition to DI?

The inability to recruit DI athletes?

The stress and strain of losing?

Outside of Amy and Coach Larson I thought Zaundra would be next in line for being a "lifer" at NDSU.

NoDakSt
01-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Five players leaving is pretty dramatic...but as NDSU upgrades to a higher level of competition, that might provide the context for players leaving or being let go. Just a suggestion as I don't know the whole story.

OCBison
01-26-2006, 05:01 PM
Seriously? You don't think she was a DI coach? In what areas?

Player development?

Recruiting?

Game Management?

She was certainly very active in community outreach and she was respected by people with the AVCA as she has been a clinician at their National Convention.

I'm not trying to wind you up I'm just wondering in what areas you think she was lacking.

Has the quality of her assistants dropped off from previous years?

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-26-2006, 05:41 PM
I think that when you have the season that volleyball had last year, where the program clearly took a huge step back, there are clearly deficiencies in all of these areas. *Generally speaking it is hard to lose that much without a severe talent deficit, caused by both poor recruiting and inability to develop incumbent talent. *There are some cases where this is not the case, such as extreme youth or having several key injuries, but I'm not buying that for volleyball. *And even though I'm not exactly a volleyball expert, there has to be some sort of game-management issues when in your losses you average less than 1 win per match. *I'm not trying to bash Bina here, and I think that this move will allow her to continue being a very good D-2 coach and NDSU to hire a more appropriate coach.

kchats
01-26-2006, 08:02 PM
I was at a match in Springfield Missouri and sat with a few of the parents. *The comments they made were that Coach Bina was excellent with her volleyball knowledge but she was not very good at communicating with the team. *When they were stuggling she didn't relate to them very well and help get them back to being confident. *They actually mentioned that they thought the team needed a sports psychologist to help.

When you coach a winning team the team doesn't need much emotional support so coaching is easier. Coach Bina was used to winning and having alot of success so it was a drastic change for her and it appears that she might not have handled it properly according to her team.

silkamilkamonico
01-26-2006, 10:08 PM
It absolutely baffles me some of the ignorant posts from coaching philosophies of the game and how "bina isn't a D1 calibur coach".

Some of you guys don't have a clue on what the real situation is.

To have opinions on the move and if it's good/bad for the program is one thing, but then to stretch it a bit further and try to speculate on what's going on is absolutely ridiculous.

Yes, Bina and the program had some trouble and maybe the move is for the better.

On the flip side, some of those girls that left the program have some serious character issues that's almost impossible to recognize through recruiting.

Amy and the basketball team is dealing with some of the same issues the volleyball team has, minus the injuries.

Amy lost to a D2 team, and I'm calling it right now. She is not a D1 calibur coach and she should be fired.

/sarcasm

::)

silkamilkamonico
01-26-2006, 10:09 PM
I was at a match in Springfield Missouri and sat with a few of the parents. *The comments they made were that Coach Bina was excellent with her volleyball knowledge but she was not very good at communicating with the team. *When they were stuggling she didn't relate to them very well and help get them back to being confident. *They actually mentioned that they thought the team needed a sports psychologist to help.

When you coach a winning team the team doesn't need much emotional support so coaching is easier. *Coach Bina was used to winning and having alot of success so it was a drastic change for her and it appears that she might not have handled it properly according to her team.

I can respect that opinion. It could quite possibly be a situation where Bina was involved in an area of coaching that she was just unfamiliar with.

It is a learning process to coach as well as play the game.

IowaBison
01-26-2006, 10:10 PM
I was surprised by the resignation, but something stinks in Bisonville and it isn't the 5-31 record.

Losing five women at the end of the season ain't good.

silkamilkamonico
01-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Don't think you're the only one that knows what's going on. *Looking forward to a new coach, a fresh start, and a better program.

That's just it. I don't know what's going on. Nobody here does.

After this happened, and seeing the 5 players leave, I would say NDSU 's volleyball program is in a heap of trouble.

Next year will already be a bad year because NDSU doesn't have any setters.

I've had the oppurtunity to work with both NDSU/SDSU volleyball programs, and SDSU will be on the national radar in 2-3 years, mark my words.

There is a significant difference in talent/class, and right now coaching between the 2 programs.

Good thing volleyball isn't our focus sport like football/basketball, or the boosters /alumni would be saying how much of a mistake the move to division 1 would be.

:(

BisonBacker
01-27-2006, 03:13 AM
They are definetly drifting right now and a new coach is going to have a big job on her hands to right the ship I think.

tony
01-27-2006, 03:18 AM
Good lord, I just caught up with this thread. Please don't speculate too much - time after time, I've seen speculation repeated as fact. And this doesn't only include the stuff about Zaundra Bina. She was a great coach at NDSU. Nor do I like the stuff about Dorn.

However, the worst thing I can think of is gossip that impugns the character of somebody - so please don't be coming around the stuff about "oh the kids who left had serious character issues."

I hate gossip. Just say NO! If you are with somebody who starts gossipping, please oh please tell them to shut the hell up because no decent person should stand for it. I'm not talking just as it relates to NDSU people either.

BisBison
01-27-2006, 04:16 AM
Good lord, I just caught up with this thread. Please don't speculate too much - time after time, I've seen speculation repeated as fact. And this doesn't only include the stuff about Zaundra Bina. She was a great coach at NDSU. Nor do I like the stuff about Dorn.

However, the worst thing I can think of is gossip that impugns the character of somebody - so please don't be coming around the stuff about "oh the kids who left had serious character issues."

I hate gossip. Just say NO! If you are with somebody who starts gossipping, please oh please tell them to shut the hell up because no decent person should stand for it. I'm not talking just as it relates to NDSU people either.
++++++++++++

kchats
01-27-2006, 04:40 AM
Volleyball is a sport you can fix quickly if you want to recruit international players. I don't think NDSU will use that philosophy and will continue to try and build the program with high school graduates but it might be wise to get an international player or two that is a setter. I would think that the support NDSU athletic teams have from the administration the head coach of the volleyball team should be an attractive position. If you can get a young assistant coach from one of the better big time schools (Minnesota, Washington, Nebraska, USC, Cal, etc) they should improve rapidly. Division I volleyball is drastically different than division II so the new hire should be a division I assistant or head coach. I would love to see a young energetic coach like the soccer coach come in and get the program up to speed quickly.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-27-2006, 04:28 PM
I agree. While this program has had a rough stretch here and is definitely adrift at the moment, I think that if NDSU can get a high-energy type coach who has some experience recuiting, this program can get turned around fairly quickly.

silkamilkamonico
01-27-2006, 11:11 PM

I don't see that as gossip. I see that as my opinion of them after have worked and knowing them on more then 1 occasion.

Bina had 5 girls leave this offseason. I bet in her 10 year tenure before this year she didn't have a total of 5 kids that transferred or left on their own time total.

OCBison
01-29-2006, 11:02 AM
My understanding is that the Forum is going to be doing a bit of research into the situation and will be following up with an article or two.

Whatever you may think about Zaundra's abilities as a DI coach you have to admit that the "resignation" was handled in a pretty poor manner and that the announcement itself was quite shocking.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-29-2006, 06:36 PM
I agree. While I think the resignation will help the program, it was certainly oddly timed and something about it just seems a little akward. I'll be interested in seeing those Forum articles.

sambini
01-29-2006, 09:17 PM
When is signing day for volleyball? Is it this wednesday?

OCBison
01-29-2006, 10:47 PM
If I'm not mistaken I believe volleyball changed a few years ago to having an early signing period like they do in basketball. You might want to check the web site about that one.

silkamilkamonico
01-30-2006, 07:48 PM
If I'm not mistaken I believe volleyball changed a few years ago to having an early signing period like they do in basketball. *You might want to check the web site about that one.

It changed to the fall season so the kids would have the oppurtunity to get recrutied like others around the state.

You could also be right about the signing period too, because I have no idea when that is.

mikelsch
01-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Link to NCAA signing dates by sport

http://www.national-letter.org/dates/

Volleyball early signing was Nov 9-16; late signing is April 12-Aug 1

sambini
01-31-2006, 12:34 AM
Thanks Greenie.++++

Mr_Meanor
02-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Let me start out by saying I don't know much about VB. But after see how this season went I think it is best for the school to get a new face in there. It seems like the Bison just lack talent and need to find someone who can bring in some good recruits and build for the future. The move to DI will not be easy but hopefully we can find a good recruiter to get the program back on track

IH8daSioux
02-02-2006, 02:43 AM
KELLY.. please please stay and save this program!!

also... tell your SISTER jennifer to come to NDSU!!

2 years we would be top 10!!!!!

anyways.... new coach should focus on these 2 girls. they are DYNOMITE!!!

Mr_Meanor
02-02-2006, 03:25 AM
KELLY.. please please stay and save this program!!

also... tell your SISTER jennifer to come to NDSU!!

2 years we would be top 10!!!!!

anyways.... new coach should focus on these 2 girls. they are DYNOMITE!!!

Top 10 huh, someone has lofty goals....I would be happy if they could get 10 to 15 wins in 2 years

silkamilkamonico
02-02-2006, 03:27 AM
Top 10 huh, someone has lofty goals....I would be happy if they could get 10 wins 15 wins in 2 years

I think it's safe to say that NDSU will never be a top 10 program in volleyball, at least not anywhere remotely close in the foreseeable future.

OCBison
02-08-2006, 11:37 AM
This is interesting.

http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/wvball/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=4558

Anyone want to place bets about the Sioux contacting Coach Z.? Not saying she'll take the position but they'd be crazy not to talk with her about it.

scottheck
02-08-2006, 01:24 PM
The thought occurred to me as well...

MinotBison
02-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Any names floating around yet to replace Ms. Bina?

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2006, 12:24 AM
Any names floating around yet to replace Ms. Bina?

I haven't heard anything. I'm sure they are working on it, but they need to hire a coach soon.

This is the worst time to be without a coach. 5 Girls just left the program and there is only 7 active on the roster I believe. Without a coach trying to persuade the recruits to come in, I don't even know if the ones that have committed are still coming or if they backed out.

They don't even have a setter on the roster, and with off season programs coming up soon here they don't even have a system put in place without a coach.

As far as the Sioux job goes, maybe Bina will get a look, but I think the asst. coach Jason Holt will step in and make a great head coach. He pretty much does all their recruiting, camps, and practices anyways. Even if he doesn't get hired he will get serious consideration to replace Bruggeman.

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-09-2006, 06:58 AM
As much as I'd hate to think of any former bison coach at und, I have to think that unless they promote from within, Bina would have to be at the top of that candidate list if she wanted the job. She has a proven, winning track record in D-2 and she knows the area from recruiting it for the past several years.

bison1988
02-10-2006, 07:52 AM
It would be foolish to think that Coach Bina and Coach Bruggeman do not talk. They are good friends and that conversation would interesting in hearing Coach B's thoughts of what is happening at UND. Would she even recommend that Coach Z consider it?

silkamilkamonico
02-11-2006, 01:11 AM
It would be foolish to think that Coach Bina and Coach Bruggeman do not talk. They are good friends and that conversation would interesting in hearing Coach B's thoughts of what is happening at UND. Would she even recommend that Coach Z consider it?

I'm sure she would.

She resigned because her husband stepped down at UND and took a job in Northeren Arizona I believe.

I'm sure she'll also put a strong recommendation in for the asst. coach who is already in with the program, Jason Holt.

bisongold
02-11-2006, 01:22 AM
UND will never hire a coach from NDSU. Not in the cards.

kchats
02-11-2006, 01:43 AM
Their new AD Bunning could show there is a different attitude towards NDSU by hiring Bina if she is interested. He claims to be a fresh face at UND now we'll see if he is.

sambini
02-11-2006, 05:15 AM
Do you think she will apply?

OCBison
02-11-2006, 03:11 PM
I don't think it would be a question of her applying. I think it would be a question of them approaching her.

Do you really think Tim Miles "applied" for his job? Did Greg McDermott?

It doesn't work that way for high profile positions or high profile coaches and Bina does have a high profile in the area.

sambini
02-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Anyone hear of any canidates for the job?

BisonBacker
02-18-2006, 06:08 AM
Anyone hear of any canidates for the job?
I see no one has any info on this opening. I was just going to pose the same question since its been pretty quiet. Anyone hear any news on this?

sambini
02-18-2006, 02:01 PM
I wonder if thy have enough athletes to have spring practice? Don't they usually play in tournaments in the spring?

BisonBacker
02-18-2006, 02:12 PM
Not only that but who's doing the recruiting? Is anyone or did they just shut off the lights and all go home?

silkamilkamonico
02-19-2006, 12:58 AM
Not only that but who's doing the recruiting? *Is anyone or did they just shut off the lights and all go home?

I'm really concerned about this too. This is the worst time to be without a coach.

Spring practice is starting, and NDSU only has 7 players on the team at the moment, no setters.

I'm not even sure if the recruits that planned on attending NDSU are even going to stay at NDSU or if they go elsewhere.

Now we are without a coach, without a system, only 7 players on the roster with not all positions filled, and the incoming recruits are in question.

What will happened to the NDSU volleyball program??

It will work out. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

sambini
02-19-2006, 05:03 AM
That doesn't sound good.

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-19-2006, 04:39 PM
I'm not even sure if the recruits that planned on attending NDSU are even going to stay at NDSU or if they go elsewhere.
It is pretty hard to get out of a signed national letter of intent and athletes are usually not let out because of coaching changes. So any of the athletes that SIGNED to play at NDSU will most likely have to either come here for a year or sit out a year somewhere else. I sincerely hope that NDSU gets this situation sorted out soon, because right now this program is on life support, and I think it is an important program in terms of the success of our women's programs in D-I.

sambini
02-19-2006, 08:47 PM
How many recruits did Z sign?

mikelsch
02-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Only 1 recruit during the early signing period

Kristen Kleven, a 6'2", all-state, middle/outside hitter, from Wahpeton High School.

Late signing is April 12 - Aug 1

silkamilkamonico
02-20-2006, 02:14 AM
Only 1 recruit during the early signing period

Kristen Kleven, a 6'2", all-state, middle/outside hitter, from Wahpeton High School.

Late signing is April 12 - Aug 1

Still kind of wondering about that signee. She wasn't even one of the better players in the EDC region.

I'll be watching to see if we get any recruits during that period. We should have a coach in place by then, and I would imagine they will be hitting the recruiting scene hard and having a handful or more schollies available.

kchats
02-20-2006, 02:27 AM
They might bring in a bunch of foreign players for Europe to improve the program immediately. Once they do that they can bring in young recruits to augment them and build it from the ground up.

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-20-2006, 11:56 PM
Not being real familiar with the volleyball recruiting process, is the signing of foreign players in volleyball kind of like signing juco guys in football, where you build around high school players and augment with foreign players when you have to?

silkamilkamonico
02-21-2006, 01:22 AM
Not being real familiar with the volleyball recruiting process, is the signing of foreign players in volleyball kind of like signing juco guys in football, where you build around high school players and augment with foreign players when you have to?

I'm not even real sure.

I know Dickinson State goes the europe route with volleyball, and they have actually had very good teams because of it.

kchats
02-21-2006, 04:47 AM
At the tournament I attended in Springfield, MO at Missouri State almost all the teams had a bunch of European players on them. *One of the parents mentioned that they were hoping for a good matchup against Oral Roberts or Centenary (I believe) but they had revamped their entire roster with Europeans and they were vastly improved. *They spanked the Bison. *If nothing else getting a few Europeans on the team might help the younger players with the transition to division I volleyball. *Division I volleyball is played very aggressively above the net with alot of power on the kills.

OCBison
02-21-2006, 11:26 AM
If you'll recall when the Bison lost the DII National Championship match to BYU-Hawaii they were the best American college team in the tournament - BYU-Hawaii was loaded with international players.

That's the route that programs have to go if they're not committed to development or if they're not capable of attracting top quality domestic talent.

As discussion begins to swirl around Coach Ruley and the women's b-ball team it's interesting to note how the lack of adequate facilities and a conference are affecting the ability to recruit of both programs.

MplsBison
02-21-2006, 06:13 PM
It looks like a lot of DI programs have use separate facilities for basketball and volleyball.

A lot the volleyball facilities look like the old gym the school used to play bball in.

I think if some money were put into the BBFH, it could be a nice DI volleyball facility.

sambini
02-22-2006, 04:06 AM
Thats what they did in Lincoln,Nebraska.

kchats
02-27-2006, 03:50 AM
They are adding new scoreboards so maybe the locker rooms and seating will be improved by renovation as well. Roadwarrior any whispers about renovating Benson Bunker Fieldhouse?

silkamilkamonico
02-27-2006, 07:55 PM
In January Lynn Dorn stated she wanted to have a coach in place by the end of next month.

It's the end of next month and I haven't even heard a peep of possible candidates.

Maybe nobody wants the job. :-/

Siouxpreme
02-27-2006, 08:59 PM
In January Lynn Dorn stated she wanted to have a coach in place by the end of next month.

It's the end of next month and I haven't even heard a peep of possible candidates.

Maybe nobody wants the job. * :-/

So is it true that Zaundra is applying to be the next coach of the Fighting Sioux? Wasn't a big issue between Lynn and her the resistance of NDSU to put any money into improving the Bunker? At UND, Zaundra would have it first class with the Betty, keep her recruiting contacts, and have big summer volleyball camps that would really help supplement her income.

RedRiver
02-27-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm sure she could defintely help that program as I don't believe they have ever been a power in the sport. I know the Bison women had won like 75 matches in a row over them

Bison_Dan
02-27-2006, 10:10 PM
So is it true that Zaundra is applying to be the next coach of the Fighting Sioux? *Wasn't a big issue between Lynn and her the resistance of NDSU to put any money into improving the Bunker? *At UND, Zaundra would have it first class with the Betty, keep her recruiting contacts, and have big summer volleyball camps that would really help supplement her income. *

I always knew that und fans were envious of our coaches. I can't think of any sioux coach that I'd want right now.

cadillac
02-27-2006, 10:40 PM
or ever ;D

roadwarrior
02-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Wasn't a big issue between Lynn and her the resistance of NDSU to put any money into improving the Bunker? *

New scoreboards were just installed in the BB Fieldhouse and a few years ago, a new wood floor was installed in the building. Now if the seating was replaced, that would make it nicer. The question that I dont know the answer to is whether the games will be moved to the BSA after remodeling is done there. (My guess would be yes.)

mikelsch
02-28-2006, 04:08 AM
There was a new Daktronics scoreboard installed in the BBFH at the same time as the new BSA scoreboards. The one in the BBFH is similar to one of the new end boards in the BSA. No video, but plenty of statistics posted.

No...VB will stay in the BBFH. The BSA is too cavernous for volleyball with the open ends. Sure there could be some added amenities to the BBFH, but the girls like playing there. They felt like they lost their home court advantage when that tourney was moved to the BSA last season.

sambini
02-28-2006, 04:14 AM
Anyone heard anything about a new coach?

kchats
02-28-2006, 05:31 AM
I thought I had read something about remodeling the meeting and locker rooms in BBFH. Like Road says with new seating it would be a great volleyball facility. Until volleyball is wildly successful they won't draw big enough crowds to make the BSA seem like a home atmosphere.

MplsBison
02-28-2006, 02:04 PM
I agree that volleyball should stay in the BBFH.

Nothing wrong with keeping vball and bball separate.

I would like to see NDSU invest in something like this down the road if money allows:

http://www.ubathletics.buffalo.edu/venues/volleyball.shtml

http://www.ubathletics.buffalo.edu/venues/pics/volleyball.jpg

*EDIT I'm talking about the sport court, by the way, not the arena itself.

Jeffdaryl3rd
02-28-2006, 06:15 PM
I'll agree, I think at some point the volleyball surface could stand to be upgraded.

silkamilkamonico
02-28-2006, 08:45 PM
So is it true that Zaundra is applying to be the next coach of the Fighting Sioux? *Wasn't a big issue between Lynn and her the resistance of NDSU to put any money into improving the Bunker? *

I can assure you, the conflicts between Zaundra and Lynn Dorn had absolutely nothing to do with the BBF.

And Zaundra is staying away from the Sioux gig, because even she knows volleyball at UND doesn't stand a chance of being competitive because the sport is clearly given a backseat view behind hockey, football, and basketball.

UND doesn't even give it much of a realistic chance to succeed.

silkamilkamonico
02-28-2006, 08:47 PM
*EDIT I'm talking about the sport court, by the way, not the arena itself.

I hope they don't lean towards the sportcourt. Girls don't like to play on it because it's not a natural surface.

MplsBison
02-28-2006, 09:18 PM
I hope they don't lean towards the sportcourt. Girls don't like to play on it because it's not a natural surface.

I will defer to your knowledge on the topic.

The only reason I suggested it was because of the write up at UBs athletics website that said it's easier on the joints, etc. I also think it looks better than tape on a basketball floor. Perhaps it's even easier for a judge to tell if a ball was out or in.

Could you indulge us a little more on why you think the sport court would be a bad choice? What do you mean by "natural"?

silkamilkamonico
02-28-2006, 09:50 PM
Could you indulge us a little more on why you think the sport court would be a bad choice? What do you mean by "natural"?

It's just not a natural feel. *It's like you're playing a sport on a huge rubber mat of some sorts.

Sportcourt is thousands of 10x10 " tiles that are put together like a puzzle. *It started as something that was put over a true surface to protect the floor, and then through modifications, became a surface that gives more traction, and absorbs more impact on an athletes body.

It isn't a bad surface by any means to play on, I think the *athletes would just rather *play on something with a little more natural feel, or at least the same surface they practice on.

Imagine playing basketball on a surface where you don't here the bounce of the basketball off the floor as clearly as a gym floor. *It sounds somewhat 'muffled'. *Volleyball isn't affected by that, but there is a significant difference in feel during movement.

I don't think it would be a bad surface at all if the athletes would practice on it also, but to spend the majority of time practicing on a qym floor, and then play your matches on a floor with a different feel, can be a little adjustment for the athlete that alot of coaches feel is unnecessary.

The only problem is someplaces you visit and play might play on a sportcourt, and you have no choice but to make that adjustment.

It does give the gym a more appealing look though, at least that gym in your pic.

MplsBison
02-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the info.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-01-2006, 07:18 AM
I guess I couldn't speak to playing on a sport court/similar surface versus the current wood, but I've trained on a lot of different surfaces and I prefer good artificial surfaces (ie, not the one in the BSA) to wood. Having had several knee and ankle problems over the years, I always felt it was easier on the joints.

silkamilkamonico
03-01-2006, 11:03 PM
I guess I couldn't speak to playing on a sport court/similar surface versus the current wood, but I've trained on a lot of different surfaces and I prefer good artificial surfaces (ie, not the one in the BSA) to wood. *Having had several knee and ankle problems over the years, I always felt it was easier on the joints.

That could definetely be a factor in an athlete having a preference for it.

I've played volleyball on sportcourt numerous of times and I can't stand it myself. But then again I haven't had any problems with knees or legs.

Sportcourt is used more and more on surfaces for junior olympic season in the spring, and I think girls nowadays are getting more used to it. High school still stays away from the surface probably due to money reasons, but thinking about it, it might not be such a big deal considering they will have to travel to other schools that do use a Sportscourt anyways, so they might as well have some kind of feel for it.

MplsBison
03-02-2006, 12:07 AM
It does look quite a bit better, in my opinion.

tophatfan
03-02-2006, 01:33 AM
My high school put in a sport court before my senior year(2001). It really doesn't play all that different than any other type of gym surface. As far as the cost go they are not all that bad. A wood floor was priced out at being around $80,000+ and the sport court cost the school $15000.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
03-02-2006, 04:37 AM
In the opinion of some of the top coaches in Division I Womens Volleyball "Sportcourts are overpriced and overated" No research has been done toshow they provide ant benefit to the joints.

If any of you have ever played/jumped on that court you would understand why they have kept the wood. It is very springy--the athletes love it, ask the mens basketball team.

If we win --we can pack the place provide a great enviroment. Face it we will never average more than 1500 a game---but 1500 in that gym would be loud

MplsBison
03-02-2006, 05:24 PM
What coaches are those?

sambini
03-02-2006, 09:28 PM
What coaches are those?
Wacker would know his brother in law coaches AT U OF HAWAII.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
03-02-2006, 09:39 PM
What coaches are those?

That would be the University of Hawaii head Volleyball Coach---with 895 career victories. Voted Coach of the last Quarter Century.

They average 7000 fans per night for Womens Volleball.

That Coach-----Minneapolis Bison

MplsBison
03-02-2006, 10:08 PM
I respect the opinion of someone like that who has obvious qualification.

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2006, 10:29 PM
I respect the opinion of someone like that who has obvious qualification.

Yeah I'm definetely not arguing that also.

But then again, I do agree with him.

:)

To each his own I guess.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
03-03-2006, 01:14 AM
They have played on every surface known to man----His preference and some of his coaching peers is good old wood.

I asked him if he was interested in leaving Hawaii for NDSU........

sambini
03-03-2006, 01:18 AM
WHAT HIS WIFE DIDN'T WANT TO COME HOME? DO A LITTLE ICE FISHING?

MplsBison
03-03-2006, 02:21 PM
I guess wood is fine as long as they make it look nice.

Something like this:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/fsu/galleries/tully-gym-081104/TullyGym1-lg.jpg

Compare that to the BBFH:

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics4/400/OW/OWCDMMDJKIOEWUU.20050303195241.gif

Does that look like DI to you? That looks like high school to me.

mikelsch
03-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Add some better lighting, paint the court, hang some banners, and add chair-back seating...wouldn't take a whole lot of money to make the necessary improvements. I would imagine the locker rooms could use some renovating too.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
03-03-2006, 05:59 PM
I suspect Florida State has a little more money in their budget than we do.

Certainly a makeover is necessary----would not hurt recruiting...Do we still recruit

MplsBison
03-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Yes, FSU is in another reality when it comes to athletic budget.

How much would a BBFH make over cost? Anyone?

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-03-2006, 07:01 PM
I'll agree that while NDSU may not have FSU's budget, BBFH needs to be upgraded, but unlike the BSA doing the necessary upgrading would probably not be prohibitively expensive. *On an unrelated note about the sport court, there isn't a real big difference in the wood and sport court as far as joint injuries/comfort. *I'd say the difference is exponentially less than that between artificial turf and grass, but there is some difference.

OCBison
03-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Someone at the Forum told me that they were going to do a follow-up on Zaundra's resignation in order to find out what the "philosophical differences" were.

Granted I only read the on-line edition of the Forum but I haven't seen any follow-up whatsoever.

Bisonguy
03-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Add some better lighting, paint the court, hang some banners, and add chair-back seating...wouldn't take a whole lot of money to make the necessary improvements. *I would imagine the locker rooms could use some renovating too.

LIGHTING, LIGHTING, LIGHTING!!!

It needs to be improved in all indoor facilities that NDSU uses- the BSA, BBFH, and the Fargodome. Makes a huge difference in photographs and video for promo.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-03-2006, 11:20 PM
++++

DIBISON
03-21-2006, 12:47 AM
So is it true that Zaundra is applying to be the next coach of the Fighting Sioux? *Wasn't a big issue between Lynn and her the resistance of NDSU to put any money into improving the Bunker? *At UND, Zaundra would have it first class with the Betty, keep her recruiting contacts, and have big summer volleyball camps that would really help supplement her income. *

Doubt it - undII just hired an assistant coach from MSU-Moorhead as their head coach. Hmmm