PDA

View Full Version : What about Men's Volleyball (ranked #23 in DII)?

pancake83
04-05-2006, 02:06 PM
All this negative focus on the women, they'll be fine next year as long as they can get a quality coach in the near future to be able to secure a quality setter, and maybe another player or two for the coming years, being that there are 5 seniors on this team.

But what about the NDSU men's volleyball team being ranked #23 in DII (albeit club volleyball, but they only level for men's volleyball in this region of the midwest) *Here's the link http://www.nirsa.net/sc/vb/2006/rankings_03_15.htm#M2. *Not many people care about men's volleyball, *but it's quite a bit faster and a more powerful game than the women's game. *It's definitely not as finess or strategy-orientated, but is as fun to watch.

The guys won the Silver division of their conference tournament, the 15 team NIVC (Northern Intercollegiate Volleyball Conference). *The teams that finished ahead of the Bison are all ranked in the DII rankings, Bethel (39-4, #15), Michigan Tech (20-4, #9), UW-Eau Claire (8-4, #7), St. Cloud State (17-6, DI-AA), & Winona State (15-8, #19).

Their team is heading to Salt Lake City, Utah to the NIRSA Collegiate Volleyball Club championships next week, where there will be 230+ men's and women's teams competing for DI, DIAA, DII & DIII championships, it's quite a three days of volleyball. Next to the Olympics, a national referee and coach named the NIRSA championships were named the best volleyball experience ever experienced. Here's wishing the team good luck next week, and represent NDSU with pride.

I know this isn't your high quality Division I athletics, but they are competive and very athletic as well, I just thought I'd give a shot out, and have a positive post for once.

NanoBison
04-05-2006, 06:54 PM
It's kind of interesting to see all of these collegiate sports club we have going...
Men's VB, Hockey Club, I think we even have a curling club too...

sambini
04-06-2006, 06:02 PM
WHERE DO THEY PLAY THERE GAMES AT?

pancake83
04-06-2006, 06:24 PM
They play and practice at the BBF, there was a home tournament scheduled for the last Saturday in February, but St. John's who was supposed to come and play didn't have enough guys to play, and another tournament came up in Duluth, so the team went out there to play against 9 other teams from their conference. I heard that UND's team folded, and Providence (Manitoba) didn't have a team this year, so being the farthest team north hurt their home tournament, with other teams having limited funds.

They did have a preseason tournament back in November and handily beat St. John's and UM-Morris.

Bisoncurling
04-06-2006, 11:00 PM
The men’s NDSU curling team went to the regional bonspiel last January and won. We beat UND in the finals for yet another victory over the Sioux!

TheDoctor
04-18-2006, 04:14 AM
I have seen the Men's Volleyball team practice and their good. :)

silkamilkamonico
04-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Good to see the men doing well again.

I played on the club team about 10 years ago and we took 3rd at Nationals.

We had a great team, but it was a majority of grad students unlike this one.

I play with a couple kids on the team in the summer, and there are some very good players on the team.