PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Search.

wacker-backer
04-19-2006, 11:48 PM
What is happening with this position. Anymore candidates on campus? Its ashame the process has proceeded so slowly . You would think the job would have attracted more interest from coaching applicants. Will Gene Taylor become more involved if the search continues at this pace? and solidify this program.

silkamilkamonico
04-20-2006, 12:33 AM
It will be interesting, especially if Miles takes the UNC-W position that was offered to him this afternoon.

Hopefully it's not a situation where the AD and co. are scrambling to find a bball coach that they neglect the volleyball position even further then it already has.

mandanbison
04-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Good news (Miles is Staying) so Gene Taylor can focus his time finding a volleyball coach. People in the west said the VB coach from Dickinson State(NAIA) show no interest in the position. Gene needs to fix this once proud program. Goodluck to the women.

mikelsch
04-20-2006, 09:27 PM
I guarantee you that NDSU has shown no interest in a NAIA coach, even if she invented the sport. DI experience is mandatory, not optional.

I know that it is hard to be patient, but you will be pleasantly surprised when the hiring is made.

mandanbison
04-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Greenie why has no one been hired? I did not know D1 experience was mandatory afterall, does Lynn Dorn have D1 experience?

mikelsch
04-20-2006, 09:45 PM
I have a lot of faith in Lynn Dorn - she has hired very good coaches (see below) in the past, and yes she does have DI experience (right now).

Tim Miles, Ryun Godfrey, Pete Cuadrado, Darren Mueller, etc; and was instrumental in the hiring of Gene Taylor amongst other men's sport coaches at NDSU.

kchats
04-21-2006, 03:17 AM
Lynn Dorn does have division I experience. *The Bison are in their third season as a division I program. *The coaches that were here in division II made the move with the University. *If the coach leaves or is fired it only makes sense to only hire division I experienced coaches to replace them. *Lynn Dorn is doing a fabulous job and I'm confident the new coach will be a great hire. *I am impressed with the recruits that have been added without even having a head coach. *Assistant Coach Lisa Axtel deserves alot of credit for running the program through this coaching search.

DORMIE
04-21-2006, 02:15 PM
I had a conversation with a staff person last night at Businss After Hours and the feeling was that Lynn might have been trying too hard to get a top 25 assistant coach. That would almost be a lateral or move down in $$.A person is coming in from a major University to basically look and stay. Should be done within a week.

silkamilkamonico
04-21-2006, 07:42 PM
It's unfortunate that NDSU is making D1 experience mandatory.

IMHO, this guy would be absolutely perfect for the job.

Jim Boos

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/womens/volleyball/coaching.php

He learned under Zaundra Bina, had an immediate impact in turning the UMD volleyball program into a national contender, including 2 elite 8 finishes in 3 years, and already has a coach of the year award in the NIVC.

He reminds me alot of Andrew Palileo from SDSU. He has extensive knowledge of the game, a passion for coaching as well as the game itself, and he relates to the players on a level that transcends both being a coach and friend. I think he would do alot of great things with our volleyball program.

DORMIE
04-21-2006, 10:37 PM
I heard that Boos turned it down. Not good timing for him. New house or baby or some BS like that. But I guess he was approached.

mikelsch
04-23-2006, 10:33 PM
As reported on Fox News on Friday night, Erich Hinterstocker is coming in for an interview Sunday-Tuesday.

He has been an assistant at Alabama for the past 2 seasons, and was an assistant at UW-Green Bay for 3 seasons before that. Alabama played in the SEC championship last year and made the NCAA tourney. UW-GB won the Horizon and made the NCAA tourney during his final season. More info found at:

http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8000&ATCLID=239716

JJ_Penn
04-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Has anyone heard how the interview is going? Is he actually going to take the job or just like the others...play with our emotions and than decline??

mikelsch
04-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Only 2 people have been on-site for a formal interview, besides the new candidate. Mike Johnson - not offered job, Lisa Mimick - declined job offer.

mandanbison
04-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Greenie- I am an NDSU Grad when it was D2 and I grew up in the sticks Glen Ullin ND. Please educate me since I have no d1 background. Is the time frame to hire a coach at the D1 level usually take this long? After all Coach Bina stepped down Jan 25.

mikelsch
04-24-2006, 07:00 PM
As long as it takes to find the right person. The new coaching staff will do a good job, a talented and dedicated group of players return next year, and some good recruits are coming in.

mandanbison
04-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Greenie. You seem to be on the inside? What is the job description for the right person to succed where Coach Bina failed?

imabison
04-24-2006, 09:25 PM
As long as it takes to find the right person. *The new coaching staff will do a good job, a talented and dedicated group of players return next year, and some good recruits are coming in. *

Sometimes it just seems that it is best to let the AD do their job, and not pressure them into chosing the wrong person. I agree with Greenie.

Have all the girls from the squad bolted because they have not hired a new coach? Have not heard anything, that tells me that they are dedicated, and comfortable with the situation.

mikelsch
04-24-2006, 09:36 PM
The roster for 2006 is posted on gobison. All (except the 2 incoming freshmen) went through spring workouts.
http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=11880&SPID=696&DB_OEM_ID=24 00&Q_SEASON=2006

JJ_Penn
04-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Greenie you've been aweful quiet about what's going on with the candidate...anything to tell us??

sambini
04-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Hopefully soon+++++++++++++

tcbison
04-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Hopefully soon+++++++++++++

Welcome back sambini!!!! or should I say ++++++

mandanbison
04-27-2006, 12:13 AM
What is up Greenie? Has Gene taylor involved yet?

tophatfan
04-27-2006, 01:44 AM
They must have hired somebody because the head coaching position has been taken off the GoBison page and now just an assistant position is listed there.

silkamilkamonico
04-27-2006, 01:58 AM
They must have hired somebody because the head coaching position has been taken off the GoBison page and now just an assistant position is listed there.

Really?

I wonder if they hired that assistant from Alabama?

sambini
04-27-2006, 02:05 AM
SILK THAT WAS THE RUMOR I HEARD. GREENIE DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING YET?

mikelsch
04-27-2006, 09:32 PM
For what it's worth, as of today Erich Hinterstocker is no longer listed as an Alabama assistant coach. If he indeed is the next Bison coach, NDSU is very fortunate to have found someone of his experience, enthusiasm, and abilities.

http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=8000&ATCLID=239714

silkamilkamonico
04-28-2006, 01:05 AM
For what it's worth, as of today Erich Hinterstocker is no longer listed as an Alabama assistant coach. *If he indeed is the next Bison coach, NDSU is very fortunate to have found someone of his experience, enthusiasm, and abilities.

http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=8000&ATCLID=239714

Wow.

I'm wondering why NDSU hasn't made an announcement yet. Do they need to smooth things over with paperwork or whatnot, or are they waiting for something else to go through before they make an announcement?

roadwarrior
04-28-2006, 01:13 AM
NDSU would not make an announcement unless the new coach was there for a press conference. He may be on his way to Fargo?

silkamilkamonico
04-28-2006, 05:48 PM
NDSU would not make an announcement unless the new coach was there for a press conference. *He may be on his way to Fargo?

Hopefully they will soon. I'm really excited just to get past the whole no coach situation. And I hope it is the guy from Alabama. Young man that has been in a top program in the nation, he would know what it would take to get NDSU on the right track throughout the rest of the transition.

onetimeuser
04-28-2006, 09:13 PM
No matter who they bring in, it is not going to work out near as good than if they would have kept Bina. I laugh at the situation because the administration has set the program back 4 years now. 4 years back in teaching skills and strategy, 4 years in booster and alumni relations, and 4 years in recruiting. There are not many good reruits in the area for the next 4-5 years that want to come to NDSU, if they are that good they will and should go to a bigger college. The recruits they did sign, you can thank Zaundra and Axel (reports saying that she was let go of her coaching duties last week before a new coach has even been hired. Good job Lynn now you have no coach in place before anyone has even accepted the position, that is great administrative work).
The administration seemed to BS their way through the whole process and not even try to find a true reason to let Bina go. I wonder if Lynn can tell us the true reason; and philosophical differences doesn't mean crap. They say frustration, what college coach does not have frustration, what person does not have frustration.
The process they went through to find applicants, oops my fault they didn't take the applications so it seems since they just called people begging them to come on campus. They dug themselves whole that is too deep to get out of any time soon. Luckily for the team someone is willing to come up and look at campus. If this Erich character does take the job, best of luck to him; he is going to need a hell of a lot of it. He inherits a team that is not willing to accept change in their develop skills and that obviously goes and cries to the administration when their coach is "too hard" on them. My guess for next season, they might reach 5 wins again. OOH, there is success. How you like that direction of the program, administration.
The worst part for the athletic department as whole now is the fact that Bina was pretty much a cornerstone in all of the aspects of media relations for teammakers as well as volleyball alumni. I bet the support shown by boosters and alumni of volleyball will drop to near 0 levels of interest. Why go, the hometown coach was fired. If they do that to one of their own alumni, what is in store for the next person.

There are my two cents.

SirHinn
04-28-2006, 10:56 PM
No matter who they bring in, it is not going to work out near as good than if they would have kept Bina. *I laugh at the situation because the administration has set the program back 4 years now. *4 years back in teaching skills and strategy, 4 years in booster and alumni relations, and 4 years in recruiting. There are not many good reruits in the area for the next 4-5 years that want to come to NDSU, if they are that good they will and should go to a bigger college. *The recruits they did sign, you can thank Zaundra and Axel (reports saying that she was let go of her coaching duties last week before a new coach has even been hired. Good job Lynn now you have no coach in place before anyone has even accepted the position, that is great administrative work). *
The administration seemed to BS their way through the whole process and not even try to find a true reason to let Bina go. *I wonder if Lynn can tell us the true reason; and philosophical differences doesn't mean crap. *They say frustration, what college coach does not have frustration, what person does not
have frustration.
The process they went through to find applicants, oops my fault they didn't take the applications so it seems since they just called people begging them to come on campus. *They dug themselves whole that is too deep to get out of any time soon. *Luckily for the team someone is willing to come up and look at campus. *If this Erich character does take the job, best of luck to him; he is going to need a hell of a lot of it. *He inherits a team that is not willing to accept change in their develop skills and that obviously goes and cries to the administration when their coach is "too hard" on them. *My guess for next season, they might reach 5 wins again. *OOH, there is success. How you like that direction of the program, administration.
The worst part for the athletic department as whole now is the fact that Bina was pretty much a cornerstone in all of the aspects of media relations for teammakers as well as volleyball alumni. *I bet the support shown by boosters and alumni of volleyball will drop to near 0 levels of interest. *Why go, the hometown coach was fired. *If they do that to one of their own alumni, what is in store for the next person.

There are my two cents.

It sounds as if your very angry towards the firing of Bina. It also appears that you have some type of ties towards Bina since the way you defend her and seem to bash the administration as well as the players. You talk about how the players the Bison have are not division 1 athletes, but d 2 athletes. If that statement were anywhere near accurate (which I don't feel they are), wouldn't that be Bina to blame since she was indeed the one who recruited these athletes? Truth of the matter is coaches get fired all the time for not getting the job done. Say what you want to say but they were not getting the job done so something needed to be done. This is a business and it happens all the time.

wacker-backer
04-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Sir-Hin. Will Amy be held to the same statndards of getting the job done? Like Zaundra? Womens basketball is the only sport to lose recruits to UND since the Division 1 move and does not seem to be improving. It is a business now and results are results.

JJ_Penn
04-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Unfortunately, much of the volleyball players are Division II caliber athletes (see loss to MSUM) - but the one legitimate DI player, Lopez, is a local kid that Coach Bina got recruiting against high-profile established DI schools. . .she deserved an opprtunity to recruit multiple classes at the DI level. . .this may be a business - but not in the sense of Exxon or IBM. . .no one grows up cheering for or attending a corporation. . .the administration should have treated Coach Bina much better. . .if this is a business, then get rid of Dorn too, she has no DI experience, only success at DII, like Coach Bina. To have malcontent players and parents get rid of a loyal alum - and then bash the loyal alum is just wrong.

wacker-backer
04-29-2006, 12:11 AM
JJ- You are right on!!! *What happened to Coach Bina is wrong and I hope others in the athletic department are held to the same standard. Well whatever that STANDARD is.

wacker-backer
04-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Lynn Dorn was against a previous transition to Division 1. That being said, the question BEGS to be asked if true why she is pro D1 now. If she is even pro D1.

silkamilkamonico
04-29-2006, 12:46 AM
IMO, they do have recruits on that team that are D1 players.

Lopez like who was stated. *The setter Emily, before she was hurt, would have turned out to be a great D1 player.

There are other very capable girls on that team, IMHO, and they had a promising season the year before, and with the same players last year, and it wasn't until Emily went down where the team started to crumble *(unfortunately she went down at the beginning of the season). *The team just could not respond to that loss for whatever reason.

Although I haven't embraced the decision either, but I am confident Dorn and co. are doing what they feel is in the best interest of the program and I have no choice but to respect that. *After all, when it comes to running that kind of a program, I know basically nothing next to them.

I do see the program in turmoil right now also, but there's no doubt in my mind that if getting the best coach for the program, he/she can come in and start rebuilding this year with a promising future.

Excellence is a standard for them, and they will get the job done.

sambini
04-29-2006, 01:37 AM
We need a coach and to move on. Whenever that will happen++++++++++++

kchats
04-29-2006, 02:15 AM
I agree Sambini. Bina is no longer the coach and NDSU is in the process of hiring a replacement. Rocky Hagar was fired as the winningest football coach in NDSU history too. I trust the administration. I also believe they can fix many of the problems and have a much better season next year. Winning breeds confidence so if they start out doing well they could do much better than last season. They have some impressive new recruits. A big problem last season was injuries to the setter. It sounds like Bethany Boelter may rejoin the team as well. Let's hire a new coach before we talk about how bad next season will be.

sambini
04-30-2006, 11:05 PM
I HEARD TOMORROW THERE IS A PRESS CONFERENCE.

kchats
04-30-2006, 11:12 PM
Good maybe we won't be hearing how everything is gloom and doom for the volleyball team anymore. All the posters that are complaining about Bina being fired (forced to resign), what do you expect NDSU to do, hire her back? You can't rewrite what has happened time to get on board with the new volleyball coach. It would be great if the stands were filled for the volleyball matches next season.

Sounds like the new coach will be the assistant from Alabama, which will be a very good hire.

sambini
04-30-2006, 11:16 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TheDoctor
05-01-2006, 04:58 AM
Glad to hear it. Looks like we'll have a new guy down in the offices. :)

pancake83
05-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Well, hopefully he can schedule more than the three home games we are likely to only have (as of right now) *it would be nice for the fans to be able to come out and support the new era of bison volleyball (whatever that is, hopefully for the best) on more than three nights in the fall.

The team needs to have some stability finally, even though there is only one more week of school left, hopefully something can transfer over to the summer workouts and fall season.

We'll miss you AX - good luck in the future, thanks for the help and support!

DORMIE
05-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Press conference today at 1:30 at the BSA to announce the new volley ball coach.

kchats
05-02-2006, 04:20 AM
I know the search was a long one, but after reading the quotes from the press conference and the new coaches bio I think he was worth the wait. I am hopeful that he is as good as he sounds and that he can turn the program around in a short time (much better next season). I have the utmost confidence in NDSU's athletic administration because they demand so much from all their coaches and programs that they demand alot from themselves. NDSU has always had a winning athletic program and it looks like they intend to continue that tradition at the division I level.