PDA

View Full Version : Volleyball coach

roadwarrior
03-04-2006, 07:55 AM
story in the forum:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=119525&section=Sports

OCBison
03-04-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm still surprised that the Forum hasn't done a follow-up article on what the "philosophical differences" were between Dorn & Bina that lead to Bina's forced resignation (firing) after 11 seasons.

kchats
03-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Does it really matter. We know you disagree with her forced resignation but it is time to move forward. Coach Bina didn't look like she was enjoying herself very much when I saw them play in the tournament at Missouri State. It is time to find a new coach and move forward in improving the volleyball program. We all wish Coach Bina well in her future endeavors and hope she finds a new position where she can once again be successful. I am glad Lynn Dorn is taking her time in finding the right coach to turn the volleyball program around.

OCBison
03-04-2006, 10:12 PM
No, it does matter.

It should matter from the standpoint of the Fargo Forum and whether they're an actual investigative newspaper or just a mouthpiece for Bison sports.

It should also matter from the standpoint of whether Lynn Dorn is a part of the problem or a part of the solution.

MplsBison
03-04-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm sure the Forum would love to know too.

It's possible that the information is just not being told to anyone outside the AD.

kchats
03-05-2006, 03:27 AM
Lynn Dorn has been a very big part of a very successful women's athletic program at NDSU. She hired Amy Ruley, Pete Cuardo (sp?), Zaundra Bina, the softball coach, the women's track coach and all the others. I know you think something sinister was at work but maybe it was just time for a change for the volleyball program. I know many of the women's volleyball players were not happy last season so maybe the team and the players that left had something to do with it.

mikelsch
03-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Lynn Dorn also hired Tim Miles when she was the Interim Athletic Director. And was very influential in the hiring of Gene Taylor.

sambini
03-06-2006, 01:00 AM
LD will get it done. She'll do what is best for NDSU ATHLETICS. Right Buffalo BILL? Have you got LD on board for the WAC attack?

silkamilkamonico
03-15-2006, 08:03 PM
So, is there a volleyball coach yet, or what's the deal?

I have a gut feeling that the volleyball program has definetely taken a back seat in the transition to D1 considering how the season went, and it's unfortunate because they are playoff eligible next year.

It's the middle of March for crying out loud!

roadwarrior
03-15-2006, 09:22 PM
There is no way that hiring a new coach has taken the back seat to anything.

silkamilkamonico
03-16-2006, 02:29 AM
I wonder how spring practices are going, without a coach or anything and only 7 players.

I bet their getting alot accomplished.

roadwarrior
03-16-2006, 02:32 AM
Asst coach Lisa Axel has assumed additional responsibilities until a new coach is named.

kchats
03-16-2006, 04:12 AM
I think a new coach will probably be hired before the end of the month. They are probably interviewing candidates as we type.

sambini
03-16-2006, 04:38 AM
WHAT ABOUT THE COACH FROM Duluth?

OCBison
03-16-2006, 04:56 PM
WHAT ABOUT THE COACH FROM Duluth?

Do you mean Jim Boos, Zaundra's former assistant, or Pati Rolf, former Bison and now head coach at Marquette University?

buffalobill
03-16-2006, 05:07 PM
I heard Ken Ellett was going to apply for the job.

MplsBison
03-16-2006, 05:07 PM
I wonder how spring practices are going, without a coach or anything and only 7 players.

http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&KEY=&SPID=696&SPSI D=11880

I see 14 there.

silkamilkamonico
03-16-2006, 05:37 PM
http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&KEY=&SPID=696&SPSI D=11880

I see 14 there.

Kim Hiebl graduated.

Danielle Dahl, Bethany Boelter, Mary Blume, Lindsey Wegner, and Emily Luensmann all left the4 program. *Chloe Quick is having surgery and is out indefinetely.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=115556&section=Sports

sambini
03-16-2006, 06:30 PM
I heard Ken Ellett was going to apply for the job.
DID LD ASK HIM TO APPLY?

SUCB#27
03-16-2006, 06:37 PM
For those of us who don't know, who is Ken Ellet?

DORMIE
03-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Only if he brought Kimball as an assistant!!

Wacker_in_the_Hall
03-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Sambini---that was good---not many of us could chuckle at that......

Wacker_in_the_Hall
03-16-2006, 08:09 PM
For those of us who don't know, who is Ken Ellet?

Ken Ellett was a 5-10 270 lb Offensive lineman for the Bison in the late 70's. One of the strongest players ever to play at NDSU--he has been a strength coach at several colleges and high schools

SUCB#27
03-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks Wacker. Does he have experience coaching Volleyball?

DORMIE
03-16-2006, 10:11 PM
SUCB#27, you'll have to stop by PETRO on a Saturday at 10:00 and find out who some of these round heads are that post. Many of these posts have to do with ham and eggs. You could also learn more about the WAC ATTACK. However, the Mountain West is BEST!

sambini
03-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Ellett is ATHLETIC DIRECTOR AT BROKEN BOW,ok. or Broken Arrow whatever he doesn't no anything about volleyball. But he does know other things.

MplsBison
03-16-2006, 11:26 PM
Kim Hiebl graduated.

Danielle Dahl, Bethany Boelter, Mary Blume, Lindsey Wegner, and Emily Luensmann all left the4 program. *Chloe Quick is having surgery and is out indefinetely.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=115556&section=Sports

I could've swore somewhere I saw that they were going into spring practice with 10.

Maybe some walk ons or transfers?

silkamilkamonico
03-17-2006, 02:07 AM
I could've swore somewhere I saw that they were going into spring practice with 10.

Maybe some walk ons or transfers?

They do have some transfers, but I guess I'm not sure if they already transferred, or were coming in next year.

They might have transferred in spring semester and are available for spring practices.

sambini
03-17-2006, 04:22 AM
Silk my daughter recieved a camp brochure from SDSU. NOTHING from NDSU is out yet because no coach is hired. SDSU must have the JO players list from south Fargo ETC,,, Give em credit they are on the ball in Brookings.

silkamilkamonico
03-17-2006, 05:14 AM
Silk my daughter recieved a camp brochure from SDSU. NOTHING from NDSU is out yet because no coach is hired. SDSU must have the JO players list from south Fargo ETC,,, Give em credit they are on the ball in Brookings.

Right on.

We attend team camps at SDSU in the summer, and their coach is an absolute class act. Andrew Palileo.

He knows virtually every inside and out on the game, and develops great chemistry with his team.

As long as he's there, SDSU's volleyball program will only continue to get better, and I have no doubt that they will be on the national map with their program within the next couple of years.

MplsBison
03-17-2006, 02:16 PM
He knows virtually every inside and out on the game

Out of curiousity, is there much strategy in vball?

Seems like you put three tall girls on the net and three other girls in the back court and let 'em play.

Paulie
03-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Out of curiousity, is there much strategy in vball?

Seems like you put three tall girls on the net and three other girls in the back court and let 'em play.

And if they are attractive that is an added bonus.

sambini
03-17-2006, 09:08 PM
ITS A GREAT GAME+++++++++++

MplsBison
03-17-2006, 10:07 PM
So no one is going to fill me in?

silkamilkamonico
03-17-2006, 10:47 PM
In my experience most of the coaching is done at practice worrying about your own team's strength's/weakness's, and you adjust to the flow of the match.

College volleyball is an entirely different level, and I'm sure there is alot of strategy involved. It's definetely over my head, but I feel I can get a descent read off the team's when I watch them.

Serving towards/away from the other team's best/worst passers.

Defensive system's are different, whether your taking the perimeter away, reading around your blocking, or just taking away angles. *It all depends on your team's ability.

Offensive system's depend on hot/cold hitter's. *SDSU run's a very fast offense, keeping the set's low and doing alot of crossing to get the blocker's moving. *

NDSU couldn't run any offense last year, because they had no natural setter's. *An offense is only as good as it's setter, and not having the quick thiking ability of reading the other team's block, or the connection with your middle hitter will leave the outside's attacking against a double block everytime.

The better/faster your middle attack is, the more *it open's the court for the outside hitter's because the middle blocker can't close the block in time because they must honor the middle. *

NDSU had virtually no middle attack last year, so they needed to win with their defense. *Unfortunately their defense last year was as undisciplined as I've ever seen for a Bina team.

IMHO, volleyball require's the most skill of any sport out there with the type of contact's it requires, and amazing agility because the movements are so quick and short in every angle imaginable. *You're not using the same motion every time.

Other then that, it isn't a sport that requires any kind of extensive gameplanning against opponent's, because there's so much on your end that you have to worry about.

Being a guy I laughed at the sport growing up, but I've played every sport out there at one point, and volleyball is the only sport I can think of that requires more individual skill then athletic ability. *It's not an easy game to play at all because everything is happening so fast and it's mostly reaction.

MplsBison
03-17-2006, 11:02 PM
Wow.

Thanks for the insight.

tcbison
03-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Volleyball is a great game when played at a high level. The setter is like the quarterback and coach of the team. I was in college back in 1993-97. NDSU had an All-American setter named Pam Stencel. She was awesome! I believe she started every year and NDSU was very good during those years.

I took a volleyball class in college and I learned a lot.

tcbison
03-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Good post silkamilkamonico!

sambini
03-18-2006, 03:08 AM
Very good insight Silk. Wacker in the Hall brother in law coaches the UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII womens team. So Wacker gives me some insight.

kchats
03-18-2006, 03:20 AM
I also took volleyball at NDSU as one of my PE classes. I love playing the game and played in alot of 2 man beach volleyball tournaments in Detroit Lakes with Ray McKenzie as my partner. We did quite well because he was probably a better volleyball player than basketball player. He was a member of the Bahaman National Volleyball team.

The Bison gave alot of points away with service errors last year. With the new rally scoring system you can't have service errors or other unforced errors and expect to do well. I heard that SDSU worked on serving and other elements like that to make sure you earned your points when you played them.

OCBison
03-21-2006, 02:31 AM
I have it from a very credible source that this person has been contacted about the vacant position after being recommended to Lynn.

http://www.kentstatesports.com/index.php?s=1080136952-906696500&url_channel_id=-1&url_subchannel_id=&url_article_id=2459&change_we ll_id=2

He's the assistant at Kent State University.

sambini
03-21-2006, 02:39 AM
Thanks OC for the link.++++++++++++++++

kchats
03-21-2006, 03:23 AM
Looks like he would be a great hire. Only need a conference to help in the recruiting.

silkamilkamonico
03-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Looks like he would be a great hire. *Only need a conference to help in the recruiting.

Unfortunately at this point and where the team is at, any progress would help in recruiting.

sambini
03-22-2006, 01:02 AM
Any other canidates like GA OR ASSTS. FROM LIKE U of W, NEBRASKA, OR ANY OTHER SCHOOLS? Washington who played here etc............

silkamilkamonico
03-22-2006, 01:50 AM
Any other canidates like GA OR ASSTS. FROM LIKE U of W, NEBRASKA, OR ANY OTHER SCHOOLS? Washington who played here etc............

All the candidates that applied for the jobs were D2 coaches from what I heard. Even the asst's that Dorn contacted about the job weren't interested.

I hope it isn't a grading measure on where the program is right now.

mikelsch
03-22-2006, 04:27 PM
That statement is completely false. It wasn't just DII coaches; there has been interest from top DI program assistants, and even head coaches at mid-major DI schools. Sorry, I can't elaborate anymore than that.

silkamilkamonico
03-22-2006, 08:48 PM
That statement is completely false. *It wasn't just DII coaches; there has been interest from top DI program assistants, and even head coaches at mid-major DI schools. *Sorry, I can't elaborate anymore than that. *

I heard different.

I guess we need a link to clarify either situation.

mikelsch
03-22-2006, 10:45 PM
I don't mean to sound like a dickhole, but my statement wasn't based on hearing different, I know different.

sambini
03-23-2006, 02:40 AM
They interviewed a Washingon Huskie asst. yesterday.

IowaBison
03-23-2006, 02:53 AM
Really, Sambini?

That would be awesome. Washington is a heck of a program.

sambini
03-23-2006, 03:09 AM
Yes its true and they were the NATIONAL CHAMPS.

kchats
03-23-2006, 04:27 AM
NDSU will get a very good coach in to run the volleyball program. NDSU has picked the volleyball team as the program that will be eligible for the postseason next year and have a history of success. Why would any of you think they have changed their opinion of volleyball because they had a down year and are changing coaches? NDSU expects success and tries to help provide it for all of their programs not just the ones that generate lots of revenue.

mikelsch
03-23-2006, 03:07 PM
They interviewed a Washingon Huskie asst. yesterday.

Thanks for the factual info Sambini. For those of you that don't know what's really going on - don't spread false rumors.

BisonBacker
03-23-2006, 03:41 PM
++++++++++++++SEE YUZ
WAC ATTACK

silkamilkamonico
03-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Ok, well hopefully they will hurry up and hire this guy, or get a coach in. Dorn stated she expected to hae a coach in by the end of February.

It's almost the end of March, get with the program!

mikelsch
03-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Finding the right coach is more important than the timeline. Trust her and the athletic staff - look at the fine coaches they have brought in over the last few years. They know what they are doing.

sambini
03-23-2006, 09:19 PM
They will gitter done++++++++++

DIBISON
03-28-2006, 12:41 AM
WDAY6 Sports reported that Lynn Dorn will be interviewing Lisa Menick (sp) the top assistant at Montana St. tommorrow. If everything works out she could be named head coach by Friday. Lisa was an all-conference volleyball player at Kansas St.

RedRiver
03-28-2006, 02:09 PM
WDAY6 Sports reported that Lynn Dorn will be interviewing Lisa Menick (sp) the top assistant at Montana St. tommorrow. *If everything works out she could be named head coach by Friday. *Lisa was an all-conference volleyball player at Kansas St.

Also heard that on the 10:00PM sports. Sounds like we will have our new volleyball coach by the end of the week.

mikelsch
03-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Lisa Mimick's information on the Montana State Bobcat website. She played for Jim McLaughlin at Kansas State, and now runs a similar system at MSU. McLaughlin is now the coach at Washington which just won the national championship.

http://www.msubobcats.com/staff.php?staffid=88

silkamilkamonico
03-28-2006, 07:38 PM
I have connections to some players on the Montana State volleyball team. I'm getting the lowdown on Lisa Mimick and I'll keep ya'll informed.

roadwarrior
03-30-2006, 03:36 AM
Story in the Spectrum:

http://www.ndsuspectrum.com/sports/06spring/3_28_06_sports_vball.html

sambini
03-30-2006, 04:04 AM
Thanks Road for the link. Sounds like they should have a new coach soon.

mikelsch
03-30-2006, 04:31 PM
She interviewed very well while in Fargo the past couple days. Sounds like she is very popular and respected at Montana State.

sambini
03-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Well which one will get the job?

BisonBacker
04-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Well I thought by now we may have heard who was offered the job. I know they have to be close to making a decision. I hope for the girls who are still on the teams sake they get this process finished so the new coach can come in and talk to the players and set some plans for the players and the team in general for next year. This has to be a hard time for the players still here sitting in limbo. :-/

kchats
04-01-2006, 04:23 PM
I would rather that the administration takes their time and hires the right coach for the program. Much better to be slow and deliberate as you go through the process than to have to do it all again because you rush in and hire a coach that isn't right for the program.

This is an important hire. Volleyball is eligible for the postseason next year and a winning program will show the committment to winning that NDSU has in all of their programs.

silkamilkamonico
04-01-2006, 07:02 PM
I fully understand and agree that the right approach is to wait and get the best possible hire.

It's unfortunate though, because spring practice is almost over and I'm sure the girls aren't getting what they could/should be getting out of it, but that's the unfotunate situation they in right now.

With the girls we have on the team, adding the transfers and taking away the 5 girls that left the program, going along with the fact that NDSU still doesn't have a setter, I won't expect much of anything next year.

It's pretty unrealistic to think they have any shot at postseaon play before the resignation of Bina, and going through spring practice with no setter, only one coach (who likely won't even be around next year), and now I would have to say the team can only hope to improve on the last couple years' record.

outsidelookin
04-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Wow, Lisa is VERY young. She's only been an assistant for three years. GA at Southwest Minnesota STate and then at Montana for two years.

BraxtonT
04-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Well, how old was Amy when she took over the women's basketball program?

Maybe the sun will shine on us by hiring her. Let's hope.

pancake83
04-03-2006, 05:38 PM
You all are worried about the state of the NDSU women's Volleyball team right now, and although it is in limbo currently, the team is in very capable hands in assistant for two years, and now interim-head coach, Lisa Axel. *A product of the University of Minnesota, and Minnesota player of the year in high school, she has an extensive knowledge of the game's insides and outs. *

By herself she has led the team of 10 with 'makeshift'- but capable setters and beat an SDSU team two weekends in a row that featured their full-squad from the previous fall. *They beat SDSU in Brookings two weekends ago two out of three, and this previous weekend in the BBF in Fargo, three straight. *

Personally, while finding a coach is definitely a priority, which shouldn't be rushed by any means, the team seems to be in good spirits and advancing in many aspects of the game, which should ultimately lead to victories in the fall when it really matters. *They are a close-knit team, and that will show on the court as well. *I know that Lynn will make the right choice with the team in mind for the immediate future, as well as success down the line, in keeping the Bison tradition alive and well.

silkamilkamonico
04-03-2006, 07:18 PM
You all are worried about the state of the NDSU women's Volleyball team right now, and although it is in limbo currently, the team is in very capable hands in assistant for two years, and now interim-head coach, Lisa Axel. *A product of the University of Minnesota, and Minnesota player of the year in high school, she has an extensive knowledge of the game's insides and outs. *

it's very true and a very good point, but I assure you, being a player at any level and a coach at any level forces you to look at the game in an entirely different light. She's only been an assistant for 2 years. It's quite a different level when you have to worry about the mindsets of your girls in a competitive enviroment.

By herself she has led the team of 10 with 'makeshift'- but capable setters and beat an SDSU team two weekends in a row that featured their full-squad from the previous fall. *They beat SDSU in Brookings two weekends ago two out of three, and this previous weekend in the BBF in Fargo, three straight. *

I wouldn't hold too much wait in out of season play days. I can assure you that Andrew Palileo isn't concerned with what his oppositions are doing. He's only concerned with what his team is doing/not doing, strength's/weakeness's, etc. and that's what he's playing for in the offseason. SDSU is in great hands with him and it's only a matter of time before SDSU is on the national spotlight in women's volleyball.

As far as NDSU goes, I think they will be better this year then last year, and they will surprise some people.

outsidelookin
04-09-2006, 12:43 PM
sounds like Mimick turned down the job. Not sure why, i guess didn't feel right.

silkamilkamonico
04-10-2006, 06:19 PM
sounds like Mimick turned down the job. *Not sure why, i guess didn't feel right.

Huh.

I wonder what the deal is with the Washington assistant. I would think on volleyball knowledge and running a successful program alone would have he/she in the drivers seat, but maybe Dorn wasn't sold on them as a person and didn't offer them yet.

For whatever reasons, the search for a volleyball coach is at a very quiet stand right now at least in the public eyes.

Has anyone heard anything about the situation?

sambini
04-12-2006, 04:20 PM
They are still looking. Greenie do you know any more?

mikelsch
04-12-2006, 07:19 PM
I do but I can't comment at this time. Will elaborate more as the information becomes more official.

sambini
04-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks GREENIE.

buffalobill
04-12-2006, 08:57 PM
WAC ATTACK IN VOLLEYBALL :) :) :) :) :)

silkamilkamonico
04-13-2006, 12:13 AM
I do but I can't comment at this time. *Will elaborate more as the information becomes more official.

Any chance it has to do with having problems choosing or getting a quality coach, or if you can't, no worries.

OCBison
04-13-2006, 12:42 AM
I saw that Valpo's VB coach re-upped for four years.

http://www.valpo.edu/athletics/index.php?a=s&a2=vnr&sid=16&nrid=2597

I wonder if the vacant NDSU position had any influence on that situation.

JJ_Penn
04-13-2006, 03:01 PM
What does the valpo coach have to do with NDSU volleyball? *Unless she is afraid this will be her only option... * The fact that the volleyball team still doesn't have a volleyball coach is partly due to the fact that there were way too many bridges burned in the process so far...they blew everyone off in the beginning thinking people would be lined up for the job...guess they were wrong!! *Now here we sit almost 3 months later and they are worse off than they were before. *Why not just let the interim head coach stay and if need be start over next year? *A new coach has already missed an important opportunity to build rapport with the players this spring.

silkamilkamonico
04-13-2006, 05:25 PM
What does the valpo coach have to do with NDSU volleyball? *Unless she is afraid this will be her only option... * The fact that the volleyball team still doesn't have a volleyball coach is partly due to the fact that there were way too many bridges burned in the process so far...they blew everyone off in the beginning thinking people would be lined up for the job...guess they were wrong!! *Now here we sit almost 3 months later and they are worse off than they were before. *Why not just let the interim head coach stay and if need be start over next year? *A new coach has already missed an important opportunity to build rapport with the players this spring.

I have feared that option.

I don't know what their deal is, but Greenie knows something so they must have made some kind of decision and waiting or something to that degree.

Too bad spring ball is almost over, it would have been the perfect time to get the kids acclimated to the new system.

After spring ball the coach can't have any court workouts with the kids until August. I have a feeling it will be another long season, unfortunately. Just a hunch.

mikelsch
04-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Spring ball ended yesterday

sambini
04-14-2006, 07:19 PM
Hopefully they will have this postion filled soon?

D_One_here_we_come
04-16-2006, 09:57 PM
It has really been a long process hopefully it will pay off in the end. I am sure the team has to be wondering what's going on.

sambini
04-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Will they just give it to the asst.?

silkamilkamonico
04-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Will they just give it to the asst.?

I'm wondering that too.

Nothing at all against Lisa Axtel, but IMO that would be an ultimate blow, basically saying, "we can't find any qualified coach that wants the job so we'll just give it to you".

Lisa will be a good coch someday, but moving into D1 and now being playoff eligible we need a coach with some experience, IMO.

JJ_Penn
04-18-2006, 03:02 AM
Maybe she is young but IMO she seems to be the only one in the coaching world who is willing to have anything to do with this program right now. Volleyball may be eligible for the playoffs but in all honesty next year will not be their year, I am not saying that in a bad way, just too much turmoil this year for them to really have a shot. The admin. has done a terrible job with this whole situation and hopefully someday it will all get figured out...until then it's sad to think that due to their arrogance/ineptitude in the hiring process the girls have to suffer and NDSU volleyball in general may suffer for a long time. I hope I am wrong!!

DORMIE
05-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Pres conference at 1:30 today at the BSA at 1:30 to announce the new volley ball coach.

mikelsch
05-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Good day for Bison volleyball. *Talented and experienced coach with midwestern ties. *Erich Hinterstocker will do a great job with this program and the team is excited to have him as their leader. *They are looking to build upon a successful spring season, in which they beat SDSU twice in exhibition play for example. This is not a untalented team, and they will do better than everyone seems to think next season. * *

IowaBison
05-01-2006, 04:34 PM
That's great news. His bio reads well.

I wish him, his family, and the volleyball team the best of luck. (I might have to consider renewing my volleyball season tickets.)

silkamilkamonico
05-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Good luck to the new coach, and I'm sure the girls will be excited to get to know him right away and hear his philosophies.

I think it's a great hire for NDSU.

mikelsch
05-01-2006, 07:54 PM
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11874&SPID=696&DB_OEM_ID=24 00&ATCLID=272832

He and the team will get a chance to practice all this week. Expect an assistant to be hired within the near future, and maybe another setter.

IowaBison
05-02-2006, 04:08 PM
Expect an assistant to be hired within the near future, and maybe another setter.

Hire a setter, omg! The NCAA will be all over us! :P

mikelsch
05-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Oops...that's funny...I meant recruit a setter and hire a coach

DORMIE
05-03-2006, 01:19 PM
At the press conference, both Lynn and the new coach mentioned the tremendous job that Lisa Axel had done in the interim. Is she still on staff? If not, will she be rehired?

RedRiver
05-03-2006, 01:35 PM
The newspaper article about the hire said she would not be retained.

pancake83
05-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Yes, unfortunately Lisa won't be back, I can't speak for her, but it seems she was kinda left to hang out to dry after the administration asked Zaundra to leave. She has left the program in good condition basically by herself with no outside help in the past three months, I think a GREAT deal of gratitude is in debt to her, and hopefully this experience helps further her career in whatever endeavors she chooses to pursue, she's a great talent, and will be an excellent head coach in the near future. Too bad the administration couldn't recognize this......

spiritbzn
05-03-2006, 03:04 PM
I agree. Lisa carried the load for 3 months without so much as a thanks, but we don't need you anymore. her loyalty went above and beyond, I wish her the best of luck, and know that any other program would be lucky to have such a loyal and knowledgeable person on staff.

mikelsch
05-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Lisa Axel did a great job managing the team during the spring and was publicly/privately commended by the administration, players, and new head coach. However, everyone has to understand that new coaches usually bring in their own staff.

roadwarrior
05-03-2006, 03:44 PM
New head coaches are almost always in charge of hiring their assistants. It would be up to coach Hinterstocker whether he wanted to retain Lisa Axel as an assistant. I listened to the press conference on the head coaching announcement and Lisa's job over the past few months was praised by both Lynn Dorn and Coach Hinterstocker. I guess we will have to wait and see who he names as assistants.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
05-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Rumor mill tells me that Sambini was applying for the Volleyball coach during his absence from the board. I think he will swallow his pride and take the assistants job

JJ_Penn
05-03-2006, 04:59 PM
It's too bad there isn't a way to keep her around. She did a great job and stuck with the team, eventhough she could have left when everyone else did. Without her the team and everything about them would have come to a screeching halt. Seems unfair that she kinda gets a thanks but no thanks...we'll use you until someone else comes along, but hey great job and good luck! Good luck Lisa and too bad that NDSU couldn't figure out a way to keep her on staff.

spiritbzn
05-03-2006, 05:04 PM
I totally agree with the fact that head coaches usually hire their own assistants. That is normal to do. I guess I just felt like I wanted to say my piece and thank you to someone who is loyal to our bison. Good luck coach H. we look forward to watching you succeed!

Wacker_in_the_Hall
05-03-2006, 05:10 PM
I hope Coach H got a 5 year deal----It will take some time to get out of the hole. It will be an uphill climb with the numbers he has. They are at least 1 year and closer to 2 years behind recruiting. Patience is the word.......

silkamilkamonico
05-03-2006, 05:30 PM
I disagree with some of your guys' opinion on the Lisa Axtel situation.

She wasn't asked to stick around, she chose to stick around, and the players AND administration were both very appreciative of her.

She has already been held in high reguard by the administration for what she has done the last few months, and if she does go elsewhere, some of you guys need to understand that she will be getting a very rich reference from NDSU as well as coach Bina, and the administration reference alone will help her chances tenfold.

She did a very prideless thing for NDSU this spring, and I can guarantee you it will not go unnoticed.

You also have to understand, that if NDSU offered Coach H the job, and he was NOT allowed to hire his own staff, the good chances are he would have turned it down. Any experienced coach in their right mind would have turned that down.

mikelsch
05-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Very well said, Silk. Best of luck to Coach Axel...hopefully she gets a DII head job or DI assistant job in the near future.

kchats
05-04-2006, 03:37 AM
Doesn't Moorhead State need a new coach since theirs was hired by UND. Maybe she and or Zaundra could take over the Moorhead State program.

Bison_Dan
05-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Doesn't Moorhead State need a new coach since theirs was hired by UND. *Maybe she and or Zaundra could take over the Moorhead State program.

und hired the assist vb coach from Moorhead.

sambini
05-04-2006, 02:38 PM
SPECIAL THANKS TO LISA AND GOOD LUCK TO HER IN THE FUTURE.++++++++++++++++

mikelsch
05-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Coach H must have found an assistant; the position is no longer posted on gobison.com. Pure speculation, but I wonder if Alabama's graduate assistant, Kari Thompson, will join him at NDSU. She was with him at UW-GB as a player and assistant. Her bio:

http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=8000&ATCLID=240532

sambini
05-11-2006, 09:25 PM
THANKS FOR THE INFO AS ALWAYS GREENIE YOU ON TOP OF IT++++++++++++++

NDFAN2
05-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Not a bad choice! Played in St. Paul MN >>

Quote from Bio:
A standout prep performer at Amherst High School, Thompson began her collegiate playing career at Concordia University in St. Paul, Minn. She played club volleyball for the Impact Volleyball Club and currently plays in the USAV. Thompson has served as a coach for several volleyball club teams and guided the Green Bay East High freshman squad in 2003.

tcbison
05-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Very good. I like the fact that both Coach H and now the assistant have ties to this area. It should pay dividends with recruiting.

Anyone know some of the teams on the schedule for next year?

sambini
05-12-2006, 04:56 PM
CHECK OUT GOBISON.COM

nobibgo
05-17-2006, 04:54 AM
Let;s see if he can step up and take Coach Bina's place

imabison
05-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Coach H must have found an assistant; the position is no longer posted on gobison.com. Pure speculation, but I wonder if Alabama's graduate assistant, Kari Thompson, will join him at NDSU. She was with him at UW-GB as a player and assistant. Her bio:

http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=8000&ATCLID=240532

Its listed on gobison.com now, Kari Thompson is the new Assistant Head Volleyball coach.

Go Bison, Welcome aboard

sambini
05-24-2006, 10:36 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

mikelsch
05-25-2006, 04:02 PM
She was offered Erich Hinterstocker's vacated assistant position at Alabama. Glad she chose the Bison!

Bison_Dan
05-25-2006, 04:05 PM
She was offered Erich Hinterstocker's vacated assistant position at Alabama. *Glad she chose the Bison!

That's a very good sign. Glad to have her on board. ;D ;D

sambini
05-28-2006, 03:00 AM
THANKS GREENIE YOU HAVE ALL THE INFO+++++++++++++++++

OCBison
06-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Does anyone have any clue as to what Zaundra is doing these days?

Is she just hanging out at her parent's resort on Galaxy Lake?

sambini
06-06-2006, 05:43 PM
I HEARD SHE WAS A SCHOOL REP FOR HOME OF ECONOMY SELLING SPORTING GOODS AND UNIFORMS.

pancake83
06-19-2006, 04:04 AM
She was at the haybale sand volleyball tourney last weekend for a little bit in support of a fundraiser for a friend's child with cancer.

mikelsch
07-10-2006, 12:46 AM
From the latest print edition of the TeamMakers Insider...
Leslie Kuhn will join the coaching staff as a grad assistant. *She has been playing VB in Europe over the past few months. *She was an all-conference setter at UW-GB under new Bison coaches Hinterstocker and Thompson. *Here's her 2005 bio from UW-GB.
http://www.uwgb.edu/athletics/volleyball/bios/l_kuhn.asp