PDA

View Full Version : Bison will host the Independent Tourney

NoDakSt
11-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Hope folks in the Fargo area can get out and give a good showing. These women deserve it!!

sambini
11-06-2006, 12:43 AM
Good luck ladies++++

Ivy
11-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Here's the schedule:

Friday, November 10
9:00 * * North Dakota State vs. Texas-Pan American *
11:00 * South Dakota State vs. Providence
1:00 * * IPFW vs. Texas-Pan American
4:00 * * Utah Valley State vs. Providence
6:00 * * IPFW vs. North Dakota State
8:00 * * Utah Valley State vs. South Dakota State

Saturday, November 11
2:00 Fifth Place
5:00 Third Place
8:00 Championship

I really hope the Bison win Friday's games so they won't be playing during the football game.

silkamilkamonico
11-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Here's the schedule:

Friday, November 10
9:00 * * North Dakota State vs. Texas-Pan American *
11:00 * South Dakota State vs. Providence
1:00 * * IPFW vs. Texas-Pan American
4:00 * * Utah Valley State vs. Providence
6:00 * * IPFW vs. North Dakota State
8:00 * * Utah Valley State vs. South Dakota State

Saturday, November 11
2:00 Fifth Place
5:00 Third Place
8:00 Championship

I really hope the Bison win Friday's games so they won't be playing during the football game.

That is an interesting tournament schedule format.

I wonder if they have specific reasons why they only have 2 pool play matches.

Anyone know how NDSU did in their first match?

DenverBison05
11-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Bison won their first match 3-1

I think the setup up for the tournament is two pools with NDSU, IPFW, and Texas Pan-Am in one pool and SDSU, UVSU, and Providence in the other.

NoDakSt
11-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Way to go BISON!!!

BisonSig
11-10-2006, 06:12 PM
The women looked really good the first match. Played well and limited the errors, it was a fun match to watch. Hopefully I can make the 6:00 match too.

DenverBison05
11-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Does anyone know why Providence plays volleyball as an independant rather than playing in the Big East like the rest of their sports?

kchats
11-11-2006, 01:04 AM
Watching the video feed on GoBison.com All Access. They don't show the score so it makes it tough. I do have live stats up but they aren't keeping up either. I tried Thunder Radio but it was way ahead of the video stream. Bison and IPFW tied up 2 games a piece.

DenverBison05
11-11-2006, 01:14 AM
5th game is currently tied 8-8, this is a very fun game to watch.

kchats
11-11-2006, 01:20 AM
13-13

kchats
11-11-2006, 01:29 AM
What was the call on NDSU when they had won the match and it was overturned to give the point to IPFW? NDSU got jobbed on that one and lost the match to IPFW 3-2.

DenverBison05
11-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Im not sure what the call was either, but that sucks to lose that game, especially on a call that came about 30 seconds after the play

kchats
11-11-2006, 01:50 AM
Coach Hinterstock said that the official didn't call it when it happened but supposedly it happened 3 rallies before NDSU scored the winning point that ended up not counting. Coach H. was very disappointed with the call. If the call wasn't made at the time it shouldn't have been called after the match. Bison should have had that win.

sambini
11-11-2006, 02:41 AM
That was a terrible call and great effort BISON++++

Ivy
11-11-2006, 04:17 AM
Went to the game tonight. Bison got down 0-2 early and came all the way back. I'm not exactly what happened on the call, but the point was over, the Bison thought they won, celebrating and everything....Then the ref down on the floor came over and talked to guy up on the stand. They talked for a while and ended up taking the point away from the Bison and giving it to IPFW, which made it a tie game. The PA guy only said that the ball was ruled down on NDSU's side. I thought that was horrible!!! They should of at least had a replay, not a reversal of the call....obviously the call was in question between the two of them.

The girls couldn't overcome and ended up losing the game. Not that they didn't have their chances early in the game to avoid winding up in such a tight situation...... but this really stuck out as a bad call against the Bison.

I see we will meet up with SDSU tomorrow in the middle game. Hope the girls can end the season with a W.

Ivy
11-11-2006, 04:19 AM
Coach Hinterstock said that the official didn't call it when it happened but supposedly it happened 3 rallies before NDSU scored the winning point that ended up not counting. *Coach H. was very disappointed with the call. *If the call wasn't made at the time it shouldn't have been called after the match. *Bison should have had that win.

FYI kchats....the coach's name is Erich Hinterstocker ;)

kchats
11-11-2006, 04:21 AM
Sorry about that. His name is so long it is probably easier to refer to him as Coach H. ;)

I'm very excited he's here and coaching the Bison. I see big things for the program under his leadership.

Ivy
11-11-2006, 04:27 AM
Sorry about that. *His name is so long it is probably easier to refer to him as Coach H. ;)

I'm very excited he's here and coaching the Bison. *I see big things for the program under his leadership.

Yeah, Coach H seems like a major improvement. He seems to interact with the players pretty well. I've heard him on Scott Miller's evening radio show a couple of times and I like what he has to say about Bison VB.

Also, this Mattie Johnson is going to be a stud. Already making an impact, and hoping to see more from her. Already breaking records....tonight for most assists in a match.

roadwarrior
11-11-2006, 05:23 AM
Providence plays as an independent because they are not at the scholarship level of 8 which is mandated by the big east. They cannot have more than 8 or less than 8. A few years ago, the conference eliminated all scholarships for volleyball and then have reinstated some of them. The NCAA allows 12 for D-I volleyball. In any case, it all sounds pretty wierd.

At this point Providence is back to 5 scholarships.

DenverBison05
11-11-2006, 05:26 AM
Providence plays as an independent because they are not at the scholarship level of 8 which is mandated by the big east. *They cannot have more than 8 or less than 8. *A few years ago, the conference eliminated all scholarships for volleyball and then have reinstated some of them. *The NCAA allows 12 for D-I volleyball. *In any case, it all sounds pretty wierd.

Thanks, I didnt know that. Do you know why the BE caps the scholarship limit at 8 or why they eliminated them in the first place?

roadwarrior
11-11-2006, 05:27 AM
It was sad how this night ended for the Bison at the BBF. It was one of the most exciting volleyball matches that I have ever seen played there. At the point that we thought it was over and we had won, the Bison players celebrated for a moment and were heading to shake the IFPW players hands when they noticed the officials talking it over. Both teams played well and IPFW has a very good team also, but it sucked the way the match ended.

There were several Bison football players there and I think it was getting close to time that they were supposed to be in their rooms for the night. When we got that point in which we would have won, they ran out the front door. Some are probably wondering what the hell happened when they read the final score in the paper in the morning.

sambini
11-11-2006, 11:43 AM
BOUNCE BACK TODAY AGAINEST THOSE PESKY RABBITS+++

Ivy
11-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Providence plays as an independent because they are not at the scholarship level of 8 which is mandated by the big east. *They cannot have more than 8 or less than 8. *A few years ago, the conference eliminated all scholarships for volleyball and then have reinstated some of them. *The NCAA allows 12 for D-I volleyball. *In any case, it all sounds pretty wierd.

This is strange. Does the Mid-Con have a similar rule?

Seems odd the max scholarships would be less than the NCAA allows.

kchats
11-11-2006, 05:08 PM
That is common in most conferences. Conferences set their own scholarship limits. That is why most division II conferences are maxed out at 21. I believe the NCC limited wrestling scholarships and a few others as well.