PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Women's Team

NoDakSt
07-19-2004, 03:40 AM
Without knowing the schedule, it is a bit difficult to predict how well the women will do this year. I have heard they will play Maryland (not confirmed on any website as of yet) and the Terps have a team that should be top 20 in the nation.

Anyhow...looking at the team irrespective of the schedule I think one player who will definitely shine is Katie Lorentz. She's been the primary point guard since her frosh year and last year led the team in assists and steals.

Another player I think who will emerge big time is Danni Heintzelman. The girl had some big games last year and is extremely versatile: she can post up down low, or hit the outside shot. The PF position is hers most likely with the graduation of Michelle Fricke and she has drawn comparisons to Michelle (and we all know how dominant she could be).

It will be nice to have Lacey Johnson back also. Lacey seems to be the type of player who does whatever the team needs: need someone to hit the boards, Lacey. ned someone to defend the oppositions best player, Lacey. She led teh team in block shots two years ago and prior to being injured last year, had one game where she went 7-of-9 from beyond the arc. She does whatever is needed and its great having that type of player on the court.

I hope next year we also have a chance to see the Dahlen sisters step it up a notch. I've heard that Katie and Kayla have the skill needed to help the BIson at the Division I level. They could have a huge impact on this team.

Leah will help to make things difficult in the middle with her height and I am not certain if Brandee Gibbs will be playing or not given her injury status the past few years.

As for the frosh, don't know how much they will be able to contribute right away. The team has depth due to the returners but that doesn't mean that someone can't step it up and take it to the next level.

roadwarrior
07-19-2004, 03:56 AM
The Maryland game is not going to be played next season.

NoDakSt
07-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Well, seeing that the schedule thus far looks less challenging than Bison schedules in the past, :-[, I'm suspecting that lots of players will gain valuable experience. I would hope to see a few Div. 1 teams on the schedule.

tony
07-19-2004, 06:30 PM
Unlikely that NDSU will play many DI schools next year - it's better for their RPI if DI schools play DII schools rather than NDSU.

The year after this, both the mens' and womens' teams will play only one or two non-DI schools.

NoDakSt
07-20-2004, 08:52 PM
I'm impressed that the SDSU women are travelling to West Laffeyette to play Purdue :o. That's Amy's alma mater (Amy scored the first points EVER for the Purdue Boilermaker's program!!). It's unlikely that Purdue will play two provincial teams in the same year so maybe AMy is lining them up for next year.

NoDakSt
08-23-2004, 03:15 AM
Any word on whether Brandee Gibbs will be on the team this year. She has had an injury plagued career both here and at Ohio State.

BisonBBALL
09-24-2004, 06:06 AM
Re: SDSU playing Purdue

Asst. Bison coach Kelli *Layman, IN native, also played for Purdue and was a grad asst. there...

Between she and Amy, you'd think they'd be working to line up something there next year.

NoDakSt
10-09-2004, 06:50 AM
Any report on who the women are recruiting? We lose Lacey Johnson, Amanda Krenz and Leah Klabo. I wouldn't be surprised to see Amy pull in a transfer or two, especially in the post (ala Fricke and Gibbs). Also might see Amy recruiting a bit more outside the tri-state area to bring in that "big time" player.

BisonBBALL
10-12-2004, 10:02 PM
Don't forget Midnight Madness this Friday night. ;D

roadwarrior
10-13-2004, 02:07 AM
Midnight madness will be at the Bentson-Bunker Fieldhouse this friday night.

Both men's and women's teams will participate.

NoDakSt
10-16-2004, 02:14 AM
An article in the Forum mentioned that the post rotation will revolve around Danni Heitzelman, Leah Klabo, and Allison Hansen (who has improved since last year.) Lacey Johnson will probably hold down the wing postion and the backcourt is up in the air. Katie Lorenz and Amanda Krenz have the most starts but will be pushed by Amanda Giordat, the Dahlen twins and frosh Liz Preller, Brenda Slyt and Lisa Bue. That's a 12 person rotation and a heckuva lot of depth.

BisonMav
10-16-2004, 02:42 AM
An article in the Forum mentioned that the post rotation will revolve around Danni Heitzelman, Leah Klabo, and Allison Hansen (who has improved since last year.) *Lacey Johnson will probably hold down the wing postion and the backcourt is up in the air. Katie Lorenz and Amanda Krenz have the most starts but will be pushed by Amanda Giordat, the Dahlen twins and frosh Liz Preller, Brenda Slyt and Lisa Bue. * That's a 12 person rotation and a heckuva lot of depth.
IMO Katie Lorenz will get most of playing time in that group. Good 3-pt shooter, ball-handler. With Krenz, the Dahlen's and Giordat coming back, would any of the Frosh be redshirted? Heitzelman and Klabo were good last year, I haven't seen Hansen play. Is Brandi Gibbs healthy this year? The team looks solid this year.

NoDakSt
10-17-2004, 10:05 PM
I think everyone gets playing time. Outside of TCU, Cincinn, and SDSU, the schedule is cupcake so no one is going to set records for minutes played in a season. Given that schedule, having Klabo and Heintzelmen handling the post will be more than solid and when Hansen rotates in, she'll pick up some experience that will set her up for upcoming years. Even Lacey will be able to play at the 4 against most competition.

I suspect Sonstelie red-shirts as may Hooten , the walk-on from Moorhead High.

I predict Lacey leads the team in blocked shots. She'll be going against folks several inches shorter and she led the team prior to last year.

I also think the team might set records for assists. Toss the ball inside and let Klabo or Heintzelmen score. That should be a given considering the majority of competition this year.

If I were in charge of recruiting (and a good thing I'm not), and I'm looking at Division 1 competition, I'd try to find a point guard that was similar to Kiana Burns. Not a great three point shooter but fast and solid defensively as well as a good ball handler. I think I would like my shooting guards to be taller players like Lacey (who can hit the three, block shots, and gather steals) or another player that comes to mind is Jayne Even. On the perimeter, their height enables them to see the court, shoot over smaller guards, and disrupt the play of smaller players (assuming they can keep up with them). Kasey Morelock would be the prototype small forward and I would have my power forward be along the lines of Edie Boyer or Darci Steere, maybe not extremely tall but built wide with big booties and powerful legs who could keep opponents out of the lanes and power up shots or get to the foul line. Finally, I would like a tall post player that can play with their back to the basket. I know...all I want is the world.

NoDakSt
10-30-2004, 05:19 PM
Any word on who the women are trying to recruit. I'm anxious to see Amy get that player who can take us to the next level; That superstar who wants to play for a HOF coach at a school that loves its basketball.

NoDakSt
10-30-2004, 05:24 PM
Here's a great article on Brandee Gibbs, the post player who transferred from Ohio State but has spent much of her collegiate career sidelined with an injury.

http://in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=74088&section=Sports

If Gibbs can stay healthy and keep disciplined, out depth in the paint will be amazing. That will give us a nice rotation with Hansen, Klabo, and Heintzelman (I'm assuming Sonstelie is redshirting). I don't expect a lot of points out of Klabo Hansen and Gibbs but if they can give us strong defense in the middle, thats what we will need.

JBNJBQ
10-30-2004, 05:25 PM
Any word on who the women are trying to recruit. *I'm anxious to see Amy get that player who can take us to the next level; *That superstar who wants to play for *a HOF coach at a school that loves its basketball. *

Sorry, they're all signing with SDSU! The team of the present and future! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

NoDakSt
10-30-2004, 09:22 PM
"Sorry, they're all signing with SDSU! The team of the present and future!"

Man, they win ONE National Championship and they think they own the world. ::)

JBNJBQ
10-30-2004, 10:52 PM
"Sorry, they're all signing with SDSU! *The team of the present and future!" * * *

Man, they win ONE National Championship and they think they own the world. * ::)

How about 2 consecutive NCC Co-Championships

How about 3 consecutive Regiobal Championships

(consecutive means "in a row" for you slow dumb bison)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

NoDakSt
10-30-2004, 11:25 PM
We're well of the concept of consecutive...as in 4 consecutive national championships.