PDA

View Full Version : Bison Women's post players stepping up.

NoDakSt
12-06-2004, 12:52 AM
The Bison walked away from the Bison Sports Arena with two blow out wins this weekend and served notce to Minnesota Duluth, the only team the Bison didn't play this weekend, that when the Bulldogs come to Fargo in a couple weeks for a match up with the SU, they are going to have to contend with some dominating post play. NDSU handily beat both Mesa State and Wingate College, and they did so riding the backs of their two 6'4" post players. UMD survived a one point win over Wingate and a 3 point win over Mesa.

Leah Klabo was named the most valuable player at this weekend's tourney. Against Mesa she recorded a double double. Against Wingate, Leah dominated for 31 points. Brandee Gibbs scored 17 against Mesa but sustained an injury against Wingate and didn't see much playing time.

Looking at the Bison's statistics, post play is the most obvious thing that stands out. While pg Katie Lorenz is the top scorer, 4 Bison post players average between 9.3 and 11 points per game and between 5.6 and 6.9 boards per game. Gibbs and Klabo average 10.9 and 10. 4 points per game respectively and both are averaging 7 rebounds. Gibbs has 19 blocks on the year. Forward lacey Johnson is pulling in 6.1 boards and leads the team in steals and Power Forward Danni Heintzelman leads the team in three point shooting.

roadwarrior
12-06-2004, 03:52 AM
My first impression of the women is that they have much more depth than last year. It is going to be hard to gauge how good this team is with the competition that we have this season.

JACKGUYII
12-06-2004, 03:36 PM
I think a good gauge of how good NDSU is will come when they play SDSU. I feel we may have the makings of an even better overall team (more depth) than last year and maybe our National Championship team in 2003. Those two games should be more fun to watch than the mens games as I think the talent level on the mens side is down this year for both teams. Women play DI Texas State tonight after getting our second DI win over Northern Illinois on Sat.