PDA

View Full Version : NDSU vs. SDSU - Men & Women

CACTUS
01-13-2005, 08:34 PM
Where is all the talk about the game this weekend? Is anybody making the trip to Brookings

roadwarrior
01-13-2005, 09:22 PM
Only the men are playing this week. The women play in brookings the following saturday.

GoBisonGo
01-13-2005, 09:51 PM
I'm looking more foward to the women's game. SDSU's men suck and our men are not that great. I'm trying to pump myself up for this game, since they are our new rivals, but it certainly doesn't have the same feel as our games with the Sioux. Hopefully that will change with time. I'll be making the trip next week for sure.

JBB
01-14-2005, 12:26 AM
Our games with who? *

This is a big game. *DI opponent on their home court, a chance to notch our first DI win and against the Jacks! *What irony.

I was thinking about going down but temps are way below zero, the region just got about 8 inches of snow and wind chills are in the minus 30s. *

BisonZone here I come! * :)

DIBISON
01-14-2005, 03:31 AM
Were going down. We haven't been to Brookings for BB since the Billiter days and those great battles. As far as I am concerned, SDSU is the Bison's rival now in all sports. So instead of going to GF we'll be going to Brookings!

jackmd
01-15-2005, 10:39 PM
I'm looking more foward to the women's game. SDSU's men suck and our men are not that great. *I'm trying to pump myself up for this game, since they are our new rivals, but it certainly doesn't have the same feel as our games with the Sioux. Hopefully that will change with time. *I'll be making the trip next week for sure.

I've been reserving final judgement but I know feel confident, you're a moron. Maybe I'm being premature in saying so. If the unthinkable happens and we lay a big egg and lose I'll eat my words.

I fully expect the Jacks men and women to blow NDSU out of Frost arena. The reasons are many but my time is short. Looking forward to listening over the internet as the Jacks demonstrate the we are the best DI school in the Dakotas. Wish I could be in Brookings tonight. I'd by the Bison fans a beer to cry in.

kchats
01-16-2005, 01:19 AM
Hey JackMD that is exactly how Bison football fans felt prior to our football team laying an egg in Brookings this fall. I hope our basketball team evens the score. I know the women's team won't get blown out so keep dreaming. :o

jackmd
01-16-2005, 01:25 AM
No disrespect to NDSU, just expecting the Jacks to defend homecourt and to do so convincingly against a mediocre-at-best bison team. Granted, we are far from respectable ourselves this year. Decent game thus far.

Jacks lead 30-18.

jackmd
01-16-2005, 01:42 AM
40-26 2nd half to come.

Lady Jacks lead 28-20, halftime at UW-Milwaukee.

kchats
01-16-2005, 01:53 AM
Bison women leading Valley City State in a letdown game 34 to 22 at the half. Valley City is coached by a former Bison player I believe Jill Devries or something like that. Amy is probably letting them have it for not pounding VCSU.

kchats
01-16-2005, 02:14 AM
Well the Bison men have been pounded. No chance of the upset like the Jacks pulled off in football this season. Can't wait for the women to play they are much more evenly matched. Bison need more talent. Congrats on the easy blowout win Jacks.

jackmd
01-16-2005, 02:19 AM
Bison finally putting on the press, this will shake the Jacks guards. *Likely too little, too late. *Jacks lead 66-45 with about 7:30 left.

Jacks woman lead 41-29 with 9:00 to play. Officials are definitely locals. Jacks should lead by 20.

kchats
01-16-2005, 02:24 AM
Bison men just aren't very athletic and tonight it sounds like they aren't shooting very well. The Bison always have a tough time shooting at Frost.

Bisonguy
01-16-2005, 02:26 AM
Well the Bison men have been pounded. *No chance of the upset like the Jacks pulled off in football this season. *Can't wait for the women to play they are much more evenly matched. *Bison need more talent. *Congrats on the easy blowout win Jacks.

A bench with more than three players might help, as well. Gerber's sitting out in street clothes with a stomach virus, depleting the four player bench of NDSU. :'(

4,281 official attendance.

Good showing by the Jacks. Oh well, it can only get better for NDSU next year.....

kchats
01-16-2005, 02:32 AM
Bison women sleepwalk to a victory over overmatched Valley City State and Jill Devries final score 71 to 46. Bison are 16 and 0 on the season. Congrats Bison women.

kchats
01-16-2005, 02:46 AM
Well they didn't lose by 20 that is encouraging. They are really in need to more players.

jackmd
01-16-2005, 02:51 AM
Jacks win 78-59, controlled the entire game. *I suspect it will be a lot more competative up north. *Especially if NDSU gets healthy.

Jacks woman continue to compete well against DI teams. *Jack's women sleepwalk to a 58-36 win over UW-Milwaukee. *Now 7-4 against DI opponents. *Looking forward to a victory over NDSU next weekend.

kchats
01-16-2005, 02:53 AM
That will be a good game in Brookings. Amy Ruley mentioned in the postgame that NDSU beat the Jacks in Brookings last season. I expect a very good game between two very good teams. When does SDSU return to Fargo?

jackmd
01-16-2005, 02:57 AM
Both Jack's teams will be in Fargo on Feb 26th, 6pm and 8pm. Wish I could be there.

kchats
01-16-2005, 02:58 AM
JackMD you have to expect a very good game against the Bison. The Bison are 16-0 on the season. They have beaten the only division I team they played and have been looking forward to the game in Brookings. It doesn't sound like you SDSU fans respect the Bison women's basketball team and their 16-0 record.

filbert
01-16-2005, 03:11 AM
JackMD you have to expect a very good game against the Bison. The Bison are 16-0 on the season. They have beaten the only division I team they played and have been looking forward to the game in Brookings. It doesn't sound like you SDSU fans respect the Bison women's basketball team and their 16-0 record.

Please . . . we respect Alabama, too. Once the teams get on the court, both are 0-0 and need the win. Respect goes both ways.

kchats
01-16-2005, 04:54 AM
We do respect SDSU's basketball teams both men's and women's. I haven't seen a single Bison fan post about the women blowing the SDSU women out. Many SDSU fans have stated that SDSU's women will rout the Bison. That is the point I was trying to make.

I listened to Coach Miles post game interview and he was very upset with the team. He said they didn't come out ready to play and he sounded like he is almost at his wits end in regards with how to motivate this team. He said he can't wait to play them again and he hopes he can get the team motivated to play.

BisonMav
01-16-2005, 05:00 AM
Jacks win 78-59, controlled the entire game. *

Jacks controlled most of the game, the Bison were ahead early, and had a 7-1 rebound edge, before the Jacks started controlling the game. Also the Jacks lost a little control when they lead went from 25 to 15 in the second half.

jackrabbit1979
01-16-2005, 05:19 AM

it may stem from the loads of respect we received from the bison fans this fall before our football win.

Bisongold
01-16-2005, 07:57 AM
No one to blame but Miles....He recruited these guys. They are a below average D2 team and definitely not D1 caliber. It will get much better each year, but don't expect miracles next year either...they will be too young. Unless his style of ball changes...which there is no reason to believe it will as he recruited all these guys... I am not convinced that he should have been signed for such a long contract. Totally unproven at this level. He is a very popular guy so they have cut him some slack. But this reminds me of UND and their hockey coaching situation this year. They did not interview anyone else when they should have. The Bison should not have signed Miles for a long contract when he is so unproven at this level. Why not interview and find out what is out there? If he is the best available, then hire him...but not on his personality. This is a brutally honest synopsis...I am open for feedback... but I have not seen the brilliance yet that someone must be seeing. Please inform me of what I am missing. He plays an extremely boring brand of half-court BB...and after 4 years I can only presume that this will not change!

NDSUstudent
01-16-2005, 08:41 AM
I think Miles should get cut some serious slack this year since theres only 7 players on scholarships. Which also makes it hard to run a fast up-tempo game that I think you want to see, and it was even harder to use that style when playing back to backs in NCC conference play. I still don't think we have seen Miles real style of play yet, he's basically been playing the hand he has been delt with. His first two year he had nothing more then a bunch of jump shooters and then last year the style was a little different with a balanced inside-outside attack and strictly a half court slow down type of style that must be played when theres a lack of depth this year. *If last year was Mile's true style I think NDSU will be pretty good in D1, the balanced attack is the best. Just look at the NBA, Dallas and Sacromento have run the up-tempo offense and have run out of steam in the playoffs. While LA, Detriot, and San Antonio have run the half court offense and had a very balanced offense between the post and the perimeter.

I think Miles was the best opition available, he has a history of turning teams into solid programs and that was probably what Gene Taylor was looking for in a coach(along with some stability). In my opinion Miles is a far better coach then Ray G. who is coaching at Utah right now. I think with the group coming in next year Miles will show everyone why he recieved a long term deal.

filbert
01-16-2005, 01:49 PM
We do respect SDSU's basketball teams both men's and women's. I haven't seen a single Bison fan post about the women blowing the SDSU women out. Many SDSU fans have stated that SDSU's women will rout the Bison. That is the point I was trying to make.

I listened to Coach Miles post game interview and he was very upset with the team. He said they didn't come out ready to play and he sounded like he is almost at his wits end in regards with how to motivate this team. He said he can't wait to play them again and he hopes he can get the team motivated to play.

Nagy at SDSU sounded a bit the same way a couple of games ago. He simplified the game for his players and generally took the pressure off the team by pointing at himself for scheduling a too-challenging season so far.

The best cure is a couple of wins.

And, I grant that us Rabbits are more than a little giddy with how the WBB team is doing this year, even moreso maybe because of how the MBB team is struggling. Still, we need to deal with Wisconsin-Green Bay before we can worry too much about you guys and your unbeaten record.

Bisongold
01-16-2005, 04:07 PM
On what are you basing your conclusion that Miles is better than Giocolettii? Just curious as I do not know the statistics of Giocoletti's term at NDSU.

Bisongold
01-16-2005, 05:25 PM
As to the fact that there are only 7 scholarship players on the team this year...who's fault is that? Why the void in talent and numbers in the soph. and juniors this year? Who was at the helm? I will be the first person to admit I am wrong if Miles can turn this around...but for now he deserves the blame also. His last 3 years conference records were 5-13, 9-7, and 8-6. That was in the NCC. Anything but stellar. I just don't understand the long contract with his performance so far. Again, please help me understand this. I really do hope he succeeds, but I am trying to be objective on this.

kchats
01-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Tim Miles has accepted the challenge of shepparding the Bison through this transition period. It is not an easy thing for him. The Bison men's basketball team has had a rough period where coaches don't stay long enough to coach their recruits as Juniors and Seniors. Ray Giacoletti was having a tough time adjusting to recruiting in the area and the team struggled under his leadership. He leaves and goes on to great success at Eastern Washington which earns him this job at Utah where he is again having success. Coach McDermott is hired to rebuild the team and his style is different that Giacoletti's so there is another change. He doesn't stay long enough to see if he can be successful. He leaves for Northern Iowa where he is having a very good amount of success. Tim Miles has only been here 3 years and his job is pretty tough. NDSU is known as a football school. They also have other programs that are very successful but men's basketball hasn't been successful in a long time. Tom Billiter was the last coach that had success at NDSU and he did it with JUCO players instead of local recruits. I don't believe that is the direction NDSU or Coach Miles wants to go. I believe they want to build a strong consistent program with high school recruits. Give him some time and let him get his recruits to their Junior and Senior years before you judge him. In this transition period you would have had a very difficult time finding someone that would be willing to take the lumps that Miles is taking to build a division I program. Coach Nagy is a great coach with great success and SDSU is struggling this year as well. Let's see how the Bison compete with Miles recruits. He played enough mid-major division I programs to see what his team will require to be successful.

Bisongold
01-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Finally, a good reply and explanation. Thankyou.

JackJD
01-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Right now, the Bison roundballers are in a hole and a win -- any win -- is the first step on crawling out. The kids have lost faith in themselves. That's the challenge for the coach and Miles WILL meet that challenge. The question is whether it'll happen yet this year or whether you'll have to wait for the next season.

The 'Rabbits have been there this year but now have a mini-win streak going. That's leading to a little confidence which enables the players to play closer to their ability level.

NDSUstudent
01-16-2005, 10:48 PM
I think NDSU will win another game and should get a little streak going with these teams left on their schedule. Dakota Wesleyan, Southwest Minnesota State, Minnesota-Crookston(twice), Northern State, Si Tanka-Huron,Mayville State, Upper Iowa. All but one of these games are at home and all are games that NDSU should win and know they can win. These players have been in slumps before and will get out of this current one. This team has shown that it can compete with some really talented teams(K State, MSU-Mankato) and *will not finish the year on a huge losing streak. I think the Bison will finish the season strong and will hopefully get the record back to around five hundred.

Jackrabbit
01-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Going back to the Bison women and respect. I've not heard a word from anybody in this area about "pounding" NDSU. On the contrary, the people I've talked to understand the great basketball tradition at NDSU. It should be a terrific game.

I'm just hoping the attendance is in the 4,000 area.

flytrap
01-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Save this post and reply in four years...

Ben Woodside will be the difference maker for the next 4 years. He is the steal in D1 from the 04 class.

Gamehunter
01-20-2005, 11:33 PM
I would sure like to go down to Brookings this weekend, but it isn't looking like a happening thing. Should be a great game though!

RABBIT
01-21-2005, 03:45 AM
Save this post and reply in four years...

Ben Woodside will be the difference maker for the next 4 years. *He is the steal in D1 from the 04 class.

Not trying to smack here, just wondering, have you seen or met woodside? I was wondering how tall he was? The roster has him listed as 5'11", which in basketball talk is saying below 5'10". He must be very fast, but hes going to have a tough time gaurding taller players. I personally think that Pennick is a better prospect for you guys, but then again, I don't follow your recruits all that carefully so I could be completely off base.

roadwarrior
01-21-2005, 05:31 AM
All I know is that Woodside is tall enough to dunk the ball ;D

BisonMav
01-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Woodside was on the Minnesota Basketball News Fab Five last year. Their quote was "Best All-Around Guard in the State".

RABBIT
01-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Woodside was on the Minnesota Basketball News Fab Five last year. Their quote was "Best All-Around Guard in the State".

I'd say thats a bit of an overstatement. Do you really think hes better than Miles Webb whos at Minnesota right now? What about the Neal kid who committed to wyoming and attended the Nike invitational? I seriously doubt hes a better guard then either of them.

Thunder_Struck
01-21-2005, 09:36 PM
He'll be better than Pennick.

JACKGUYII
01-21-2005, 09:38 PM
It's hard to determine how good some of the outstate players are based on the level of competition they play against. I'm sure Woodside must have done some great things outside of his days at Albert Lea to capture the reputation he has.

NDSU_grad
01-21-2005, 10:06 PM
It's hard to determine how good some of the outstate players are based on the level of competition they play against. I'm sure Woodside must have done some great things outside of his days at Albert Lea to capture the reputation he has.
I think in the case of all of our recruits it's their play in summer AAU ball that catches the coaches' attention. It definitely helps make it less of a guessing game, especially for kids from smaller schools. Do you think Jeff Boschee would have even sniffed Kansas if he didn't play summer ball?

BisonMav
01-21-2005, 11:17 PM
I'd say thats a bit of an overstatement. *Do you really think hes better than Miles Webb whos at Minnesota right now? *What about the Neal kid who committed to wyoming and attended the Nike invitational? *I seriously doubt hes a better guard then either of them. *
Neal and Webb were Fab 5 also. Besides, it's like comparing apples and oranges if they don't play the same position as Woodside.

JBB
01-22-2005, 02:19 PM
I dont know when they are going to reopen it, but right now they are reporting the I29 is closed to the SD boarder. The weather here is cold and clear but there are some big snow drifts.