PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Women's Basketball Team

NoDakSt
01-23-2005, 09:47 PM
Bison Fans and Friends,

Who would you put on your ALL-Time women's basketball team? Pick your five starters and the first person off the bench and tell why you would have these team on your team.

pt Katie Lorenz - there have been a lot of good point guards in NDSU's history (Smykowksi, Buck, Burns) but Lorenz is on my list not because she can handle the rock (she can), pass the rock (she can), play defense (she can), and score...(yup..she does that too...). Lorenz just takes control of the game like no other. She controls the tempo, she gets the ball to the player who is hot, she gets it to them in the right position to score, and if need be, she takes it to the hole herself. She's just real savvy and I feel she would be playing on a lot of Division I teams if she weren't in Fargo.

sg Pat Smykowski - Pat played when I was in Fargo and having grown up just inside the Minnesota side of the Minn-Dak border, I knew all about her exploits at Lidgerwood. She was "all-that" back then...she could pass, play defense, hit the three....just a flash of feathered blonde hair. At 5'10" she had good height to play the perimeter.

sf Jayne Even - Jayne played on the last Bison team to make it to the National championship game. She did a little bit of everything on that team. She was the scoring leader, she hit the boards, she blocked shots. She was big enough to post up [6'0"] but had a knack of knocking down the three. Just a solid player.

pf Kacey Morlock - All time leading scorer, 'nuff said? Kacey's time with NDSU was really special. I never got to see her play but the numbers she put up and the level that she took this team to, were truly amazing.

c Michelle Fricke - this is the toughest position because there have been a lot of great posts at SU (Parsley, Stamp, Boedinger, Patsie) and Michelle's name will never appear in the record book as she only played two years at SU. But she was a Division I calibre player and as such she was a force down low. She scored, she rebounded, once she established her low post position on offense, you weren't going to stop her. She infused power with a nice touch around the basket. But we have a couple of 6'4" posts on the current team who might be challenging for this position.

6th person - Darci Steere - Actually Steere and Smykowski were the only players off this list I had the honor to see play in person. SHe also was built very powerfully. Despite being 5'11, she was strong enough to hold her own down low. She hit the boards strong and had a great touch around the basket. And only Morlock was better at getting to the boards than Steere. It might be duplicating strengths, but in a lot of ways, she and Fricke were similar.

That's my list. Appreciate hearing the opinion of others.

Green-N-Gold
01-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Nadine Schmidt?

imported_admin
01-25-2005, 03:03 AM
Three posts deleted.

If you want to post stuff about players off-the-court lives, find a new board or at least start a different topic.

GFBison
01-25-2005, 03:04 AM
Thanks Tony.

tony
01-25-2005, 03:39 AM
Hard for me to pick an all-Bison team - just too many great players and I'm not much of a basketball scout.

I'd probably start with Jody Buck (defense), Jenni Rademacher and Lori Roufs (teamwork and tenacity).

Add Nadine Schmidt (could do everything), Jackie Parsley, and Jill DeVries and that'd be a pretty good team (assuming I've got all the positions covered).

petey23
01-25-2005, 05:06 AM
Hard to leave Nadine Schmidt and Lynette Mund off the team. All they did was win 2 or 3 titles each.