PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on TCU game for Women

BisonInTexas
02-23-2005, 05:36 PM
I attended the TCU game last night. Here are my thoughts.

Attendance - the Forum said 3000+ - I estimated ~1000, if that, so that is surprising to me. The arena is pretty big so it is hard to judge. About 50 NDSU fans there. We sat a couple rows back from Lacey Johnson's aunt and uncle.

The Bison looked very tight. They got some good shots to start the game, but nothing was falling. TCU plays very aggressive defense - they zone pressed them about three quarters of the game. This seemed to disrupt the Bison's rhythm on offense and forced a ton of turnovers. To be fair to NDSU, some TOs were some very questionable traveling calls, but even removing those TCU would have won by twenty.

TCU, especially their front line was much, much more athletic than NDSU. NDSU had no answer for either Irvin (who is the niece of Michael Irvin) or Clementino on the block. Clementino (from Brazil) was especially quick on the offensive end. Each got easy buckets using the simple drop step to the baseline. This is basic post defense - don't give up the baseline, but the Bison didn't get that corrected until after halftime.

After halftime, NDSU seemed to execute a lot better for the first 5 minutes or so. They went on a 7-2 run until Irvin got a three point play. This seemed to spark TCU, who also resumed their zone press at this time to stop the NDSU rally. After that NDSU basically played about even with TCU for the rest of the game. TCU played their subs a good deal in the second half.

It was fun to see NDSU compete again, but it is clear that they didn't play their best game. Even with their best game, they would get beat by 15 or more by that team, which was clearly focused on taking care of business to not jeapordize a tournament bid should they falter in their conference tournament.

It shows that the Bison women, despite a very successful year, are going to have to get much more athletic to compete for a tournament bid in DI. I think they will rebound at home against SDSU, but the game last night shows that there is a lot of room for improvement.

Craig

silkamilkamonico
02-23-2005, 06:09 PM
I was wondering about the difference in athleticism.

How do ya'll think Amy will recruit for D1? For the last few years she has been getting the area's best, and I think after last night it is evident that the area's won't be able to compete with the upper half of D1. Does she start recruiting nationally? I wonder what kind of appeal NDSU has to people around the country.

BisonInTexas
02-23-2005, 06:25 PM
I do think that NDSU is going to have to broaden their recruiting territory. As a comparison, take a look at the TCU roster:

TCU Women's BB Roster (http://gofrogs.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/tcu-w-baskbl-mtt.html)

A couple of Jucos, recruits from TX, CA, FL, SC. Granted, as a private school, they may have more appeal nationwide, but it shows that a nationwide presence is needed in recruiting to compete. I think in the short term, Amy may have to sign some jucos for next year to complement the players that they have.

Craig

tony
02-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Hehehe... that reminds me, I was looking at Boston University's press release for the softball game. They mentioned six players - all from different states covering all four major time zones of the continental US.

I think there's probably enough talent in the upper midwest for DI ball, it's just a matter of signing them. If that can't be done, NDSU will definitely have to bring in more players from outside the traditional recruiting area.

JACKGUYII
02-23-2005, 06:39 PM
I think you guys are overeacting to this game. I don't think the women at the State U's need to completely abandon their present recruiting policy. Look at Minnesota last year. They went to the final four with almost entirely Minnesota/Wisconsin kids on the roster. I think there are a lot of good women players in the region that will enable the State U's to be competitive at the DI Mid-Major level. I think it is unrealistic for both men and women especially without a conference to think we can go out and recruit the Irvin's of the world. I don't think TCU is 30 points better than NDSU. If SDSU can stay with athletic teams like Rutgers (top 10) and USC who beat TCU by one than there is no reason to panic. I think it was a good situation for the jacks to be able to play there first 3 DI games against Rutgers,Kentucky and Oregon State at a neutral site and give them the confidence that we can play with these people.

jjbluecw
02-23-2005, 07:00 PM
I agree there is definitely no reason to panic. There is a reason these are called the transition years. Lets not kid ourselves and think we are going to come out and beat top 25 caliber teams in our first year. This has been a great "transition" year and we can only hope to improve for years to come. As far as the recruiting goes I will leave that for the experts that judge talent. I think we will naturally broaden our recruiting base by the increased national attention we will inevitably recieve from our move to DI.

kchats
02-23-2005, 07:04 PM
"Realistically, I didn't think we would come in here and beat them," Ruley said. "(TCU) has it all. They're legit. But it was good for the younger kids to know: what do they have to do to be successful?"

This is a direct quote from Amy in today's paper. I think she knows what she needs to do to make the team a division I team. I look forward to watching the Bison evolve under her leadership.

IowaBison
02-23-2005, 07:51 PM
I think you guys are overeacting to this game. I don't think the women at the State U's need to completely abandon their present recruiting policy. Look at Minnesota last year. They went to the final four with almost entirely Minnesota/Wisconsin kids on the roster. I think there are a lot of good women players in the region that will enable the State U's to be competitive at the DI Mid-Major level. I think it is unrealistic for both men and women especially without a conference to think we can go out and recruit the Irvin's of the world. I don't think TCU is 30 points better than NDSU. If SDSU can stay with athletic teams like Rutgers (top 10) and USC who beat TCU by one than there is no reason to panic. I think it was a good situation for the jacks to be able to play there first 3 DI games against Rutgers,Kentucky and Oregon State at a neutral site and give them the confidence that we can play with these people.

And look at Iowa State, they built their quality programs of the last five or so years on women from the Valley

Bisonguy
02-24-2005, 02:01 AM
From tonight's Bison Feedback- sounds like Ruley is really expanding NDSU's recruiting area. Illinois and some other news states are being looked at. There will be a student-athlete from Detroit signing this spring.

Junior
02-24-2005, 03:12 AM
One game: eye opener, learning experience? YES

Deal breaker? NO

Hey, I think it would be cool for Ruley to build a DI power house and some day beat Purdue. Wouldn't that be a bitter-sweet victory for her.

Hfrog1211
02-24-2005, 03:33 AM
I was at the game (I go to TCU and was in the band). I had a few comments. First, I think there were about 100 NDSU fans there, maybe more. There were probably 2500-3000 total by my estimate which is a little low, but it was a Tuesday night game against a team few people knew about. I and a few other I talked to did expect a closer game. I think the fact that Coach Mittie was well aware of NDSU's program helped keep TCU from over looking the game. The Bison didn't shoot that well, even the more open shots, so that probably was the biggest problem. Irvin said that she was surprised by the blocks and even joked about it in the paper. The out-athleticized argument is also probably valid. We're actually a very young team (2 sr, 2 jr tr, & 2 so). One jr transfer (thiel) is basically a 3rd string player this year, and we lost our 3rd sophomore (a starter) early in the year to and acl injury. I'll stop rambling. Does anyone have any questions?

roadwarrior
02-24-2005, 04:34 AM
When is TCU coming up to Fargo for a game?

Hfrog1211
02-24-2005, 04:37 AM
When is TCU coming up to Fargo for a game?

I have no idea. If we did go up there I'm sure it would be at the begining of the year like normal OOC games. We recently played at UWGB after they played here. It's hard to find out who we're playing from year to year (at least it's hard for me to know).