PDA

View Full Version : 25 defining moments in college sports history

somebison
01-10-2006, 07:27 PM
From the NCAA

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -

The NCAA celebrates its 100th anniversary in 2006. The NCAA Centennial began Jan. 6 at the NCAA Convention in Indianapolis.

The "25 Most Defining Moments in NCAA History" are (in no particular order):

* Iowa State wrestler Cael Sanderson completes his four-year undefeated collegiate career by winning the championship match in the 197-pound class at the 2002 Division I Wrestling Championships.

* Ohio State's Jesse Owens breaks four world records at the 1935 Big Ten Conference track championships.

* The 1979 Final Four championship game, featuring Earvin "Magic" Johnson from Michigan State University and Larry Bird from Indiana State University, earns the highest TV rating (24.1) of any title game before or since.

* Delegates at the 75th annual Convention in 1981 adopt a governance plan to include women's athletics programs and services within the NCAA structure.

* The NCAA and CBS Sports in 1999 reach an 11-year, $6 billion agreement for television, radio, Internet, corporate marketing, licensing, publishing, home video and Hoop City rights for the Division I men's basketball championship.

* Simpson wrestler Nick Ackerman, who does not have the use of his legs, wins the championship match in the 174-pound class at the 2001 Division III Wrestling Championships.

* The NCAA is founded in 1906 after a warning from President Theodore Roosevelt to either reform or risk the abolition of football.

* The first men's basketball championship is held at Northwestern on March 27, 1939.

* The UCLA men's basketball team wins a seventh straight NCAA title in 1973.

* Boston College quarterback Doug Flutie's "Hail Mary" touchdown pass to Gerard Phelan lifts the Eagles over Miami (Florida) in 1984.

* The first NCAA championship is held June 17-18, 1921, at Chicago when student-athletes from 62 colleges and universities compete in track and field.

* Syracuse running back Ernie Davis becomes the first black athlete to win the Heisman Trophy.

* Loyola (Illinois) faces Mississippi State in a 1963 men's basketball tournament regional semifinal. Mississippi State, an all-white team, sneaks out of town in the middle of the night despite protests from the governor and state police of Mississippi to play a Loyola team that features four black starters. Mississippi State overcame an unwritten Mississippi rule against playing integrated teams with a cloak-and-dagger flight to the North just one step ahead of a court injunction. Loyola beats Mississippi State and goes on to win the title.

* On June 19, 1965, UCLA senior Arthur Ashe wins the 1965 NCAA singles and doubles titles and leads the Bruins to a team championship.

* On March 19, 1966, Texas Western and its five African-American starters defeat Kentucky 72-65.

* In 2003, North Carolina wins the NCAA Division I Women's Soccer Championship for the 18th time (in the past 23 seasons) while finishing the season undefeated at 27-0.

* Tennessee women's basketball coach Pat Summitt leads her Lady Vols past Purdue in the 2005 NCAA tournament to become the all-time winningest coach in NCAA basketball history.

* Walter Byers is named as the Association's first executive director in 1951. A national headquarters is established in Kansas City, Missouri, in 1952. Richard Schultz succeeds Byers after his retirement in 1987. Cedric Dempsey becomes the Association's third president back in 1994, followed by Myles Brand.

* In what many believe is the greatest Cinderella story in college basketball, North Carolina State's Lorenzo Charles dunks the ball as time expires in the 1983 championship game to lead the Wolfpack to a 54-52 win over heavily favored Houston.

* Presidential firsts: Palmer Pierce becomes the Association's first president, holding office from 1906 to 1913 and from 1917 to 1929. On January 12, 1981, James Frank of Lincoln (Missouri) becomes the first black and the first college president elected to serve as membership president of the NCAA. On January 10, 1991, Judy Sweet becomes the first woman to serve as membership president of the NCAA. The NCAA began calling its executive director "president" following the NCAA reorganization in 1997 that eliminated the elected membership president position.

* North Dakota State wins a fourth straight Division II Women's Basketball Championship in 1996. The four-year run includes a perfect season in 1994-95 and a 49-game winning streak, one of the longest in NCAA history.

* Marymount basketball student-athlete Corinne Carson becomes one of the first known collegiate athletes to return to the sport after a liver transplant. She is named the WBCA National Player of the Year in Division III for 1997.

* UCLA Pitcher Keira Goerl throws a nine-inning no-hitter in the 2003 NCAA Division I Softball Championship Game.

* Oklahoma football student-athlete Prentice Gautt becomes the first African-American student-athlete to play for a member institution in the Jim Crow states of the South and Southwest. Gautt later becomes the NCAA's secretary-treasurer in 1994.

* On March 15, 1973, Dacia Schileru, a Wayne State (Michigan) diver, becomes the first woman to compete in an NCAA championship, entering the College Division Swimming and Diving Championships.

Bison_Dan
01-10-2006, 07:49 PM
This can't be right, there's no hockey moment. ;)

MN_BISONS
01-10-2006, 08:30 PM
+++++++++++++++ ;D

BisonBacker
01-10-2006, 10:39 PM
This can't be right, there's no hockey moment. * ;)
That's a great comment++++++++++++++++

sambini
01-11-2006, 02:57 AM
I love it+++++++

TheBisonator
01-11-2006, 03:02 AM
That list kicks ass. :D

Rodentia
01-11-2006, 03:19 AM
I'd pick the 1903 Little Brown Jug game between Minnesota and Michigan. I'm biased, I admit, but it's a great story, and kicked off the history of rivalry trophies.

TheDoctor
01-14-2006, 03:52 AM
I don't think anyone outside of the midwest even aknowledges hockey as a sport do they? ;D

sambini
01-14-2006, 04:15 AM
Ice is meant to be in drink.

TransAmBison
01-14-2006, 05:05 AM
or to surround a case of bud light ;D