PDA

View Full Version : BISON/JACKS Women's Predictions?

BisonTyme
02-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Does anybody have any predictions for the game this Saturday?

silkamilkamonico
02-02-2006, 10:37 PM
I haven't seen many women's games this year, but I think SDSU takes this one.

They will be well aware of Lorenz and will probably be geared to focus on stopping her, and if they do that I think they win.

roadwarrior
02-02-2006, 11:41 PM
I have to agree with Silk on this one, but then the Bison won both games last year so who knows?

BisonTyme
02-02-2006, 11:53 PM
I think if Gibbs and Heintzelman can step up we will have a solid chance of winning this one.

sambini
02-03-2006, 02:46 AM
I would have to agree with SILK. The Bison inside game has to make a presence. What kind of crowd down there saturday?

whiteshadow
02-03-2006, 02:57 AM
The Bison need to stop Vogel. If they can keep her under control they'll be in good shape. They have had some problems this season stopping talented power forwards (see Lindsey Dietz and Jamie Broback) so that will be the key. On offense, if they keep getting the production they've been getting off the bench, I like their chances. Sonstelie and Slyt will have to step up as big as they have been recently.

Rabbitlivinginverm
02-03-2006, 02:59 AM
For SDSU, it all depends on our outside shooting. It seems we're putting up about 30 3's a game.

JACKGUYII
02-03-2006, 04:43 AM
Jacks had over 4700 at last years game in Brookings and expect at least that for this years game.

Analyzing common opponents:
NDSU 65-58 W Mid Tenn SDSU 55-62 L Mid Tenn
NDSU 68-56 W Alabama SDSU 78-69 W Alabama
NDSU 78-84 L San Jose SDSU 51-64 L San Jose
NDSU 79-68 W IFPW SDSU 74-53 W IFPW

Jacks have had much tougher schedule, but worried NDSU will exploit Jacks lack of inside game. I predict Jacks win by 8 at home.

BisonMav
02-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Bison win on an off-balanced buzzer-beater by Lorenz.

NDSU_grad
02-03-2006, 01:46 PM
If the NDSU team that competed with the Gophers for 40 minutes shows up, the Bison win. If the NDSU team that lost to Texas A&M-CC and UMD shows up, the Jacks win handily.

WYOBISONMAN
02-03-2006, 03:02 PM
WE have not been consistent on the road and if we play poorly from the field we could get pounded, but, this is the last big road game of the season and I think the herd will show up to play. Bison by 8!

daherd
02-03-2006, 03:23 PM
It is always fun to watch Lorenz go against Sieler. One excellent offensive player going against an excellent defender. Can't wait to get there and hear those annoying cowbells ringing in my ear for 40 minutes. I will go with the Bison on the road!!!

GoBison127
02-03-2006, 10:00 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I think SDSU wins this one, especially on the road. The Bison have been so inconsistent lately. The second game at home will be a different story though I think....

Here's an even more interesting question...how are the Bison men going to play at Frost on the 18th...

Yellow
02-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Bison men by 17

BisonBacker
02-03-2006, 10:08 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I think SDSU wins this one, especially on the road. The Bison have been so inconsistent lately. The second game at home will be a different story though I think....

Here's an even more interesting question...how are the Bison men going to play at Frost on the 18th...
I think the Bison Men handle the Jacks pretty easily, they are just plain worn down from this season and although the record does not do justice to the talent level of the Jacks team this year the Bison men's team has been a tough team this year. I don't see the jacks even at home being able to stay with them.

basketballer
02-03-2006, 10:22 PM
[/b]
I think the Bison Men handle the Jacks pretty easily, they are just plain worn down from this season and although the record does not do justice to the talent level of the Jacks team this year the Bison men's team has been a tough team this year. I don't see the jacks even at home being able to stay with them.

I don't think worn down is the right word... more like destroyed. You guys understand what has happened in brookings this year don't you? Here it is:

Starters:

Cadwell - All thats left
Gilbert- Suspended indefinetly
Berte- Suspended indefinetly
Beran- Averaging 20/ game last year, now down to 2 or so a game, possibly medically related, or he's just mentally broken
Holdren- Medical Redshirt, ACL injury around the beginning of the season.

Bench-

Redshirts:4

The rest are D-II players, or JUCO's that didn't work out.

Last night they had football players playing crucial minutes of a game for them. I don't know how you can sit here and make game predictions against their team right now. I think its pretty much a given that the Bison will win in Brookings, and probably big, but I don't know how excited I would be for that game. You're basically playing one D-I player and some football guys that played in highschool.

basketballer
02-03-2006, 10:24 PM
As for the womens game, I think the Bison take it. SDSU has become rediculously reliant on the three point shooting, and lately their shots haven't been falling from beyond the arc. The bison are likely to exploit the paint, and defensively I doubt that SDSU can stop them.

Gamehunter
02-03-2006, 10:46 PM
I think for the men's game it is pretty clear who is going to win.

The womens game should be just as close as it was for both games last year. I think the teams will split this year, but on opposite courts. Bison win at Frost, Jacks win in the BSA.

Rabbitlivinginverm
02-05-2006, 01:09 AM
Jacks shooting well so far, up 19-4 with 15 min left.

Live stats here....

http://gojacks.sdstate.edu/wbbstats/

Rabbitlivinginverm
02-05-2006, 01:23 AM
Wow, Jacks en fuego

34-16

9 min left in 1st half

JACKGUYII
02-05-2006, 01:43 AM
Jacks up 50-31 at the half. Jacks 9-19 from 3 point range.

Rabbitlivinginverm
02-05-2006, 01:51 AM
Jacks outrebounding the Bison 29-16 through the first half.

silkamilkamonico
02-05-2006, 02:03 AM
Go back to Jackrabbitland. You guys are depressing me.

:P

silkamilkamonico
02-05-2006, 02:04 AM
There has to be over 4k in attendance. *Every section that I'm seeing in the video is full. *There going around the arena showing all the people. *Dam I wish I was there.

my bad. I'm watatching the men's game and put it in the wrong thread.

Anyone have any idea how many people are in attendance at the SDSU game?

BisonTyme
02-05-2006, 02:05 AM
Where are you getting video Silk?

silkamilkamonico
02-05-2006, 02:07 AM
Where are you getting video Silk?

Watching the men's game and posted in the wrong thread. My bad.

Rabbitlivinginverm
02-05-2006, 02:09 AM
Anyone have any idea how many people are in attendance at the SDSU game?

Scotty Kwas on the radio has said Frost is pretty full. His guess was 4,000; maybe 5,000.

58-35 Jacks 16:44 left.

Rabbitlivinginverm
02-05-2006, 02:23 AM
Jacks are running away with this one.

72-40 11 min left.

89rabbit
02-05-2006, 02:57 AM
Final Score

SDSU 95 - NDSU 66

silkamilkamonico
02-05-2006, 03:01 AM
Final Score

SDSU 95 - NDSU 66

Good grief!

Somehow, with the way our women's team has been playing this year, it doesn't surprise me at all.

sambini
02-05-2006, 03:34 AM
CONGRATS TO THE JACKS.

JACKGUYII
02-05-2006, 03:54 AM
The attendence was over 4500.

SDSUFAN
02-05-2006, 04:20 AM
As for the womens game, I think the Bison take it. *SDSU has become rediculously reliant on the three point shooting, and lately their shots haven't been falling from beyond the arc. *The bison are likely to exploit the paint, and defensively I doubt that SDSU can stop them.

I could not resist pulling this one up for quotation, as none of this happened for the Bison The exploitation of the three did happen about 15 or more times. The *Bison were *hopeless in defending the three. *Lots of open looks. Bring on the Bison men, we only got one D1 player. ;D

daherd
02-05-2006, 04:35 AM
Was at the game and I wish I wouldn't have been. The Jacks deserve a lot of credit for this one. They played a physical game and the Bison didn't respond well. The Jacks got whatever open look they wanted. And if they missed (didn't happen too often) they just got an offensive board and scored anyways. Nice game Jacks!!!

Gamehunter
02-05-2006, 04:37 AM
I could not resist pulling this one up for quotation, as none of this happened for the Bison The exploitation of the three did happen about 15 or more times. The Bison were hopeless in defending the three. Lots of open looks. Bring on the Bison men, we only got one D1 player. ;D

Anyone care to wadger that the SDSU women could beat the SDSU men right now? ;D

Nice win bunnies, Bison were never in that one.

Bisonguy
02-05-2006, 04:51 AM
Anyone care to wadger that the SDSU women could beat the SDSU men right now? *;D

Nice win bunnies, Bison were never in that one.

The Bison were in it for the first two buckets, after that, it was all downhill......

The Jacks were definitely the better team (by a good margin).

BisonBacker
02-05-2006, 03:58 PM
As for the womens game, I think the Bison take it. *SDSU has become rediculously reliant on the three point shooting, and lately their shots haven't been falling from beyond the arc. *The bison are likely to exploit the paint, and defensively I doubt that SDSU can stop them.
That ridiculous three poing shooting for the Jacks didn't let them down last night thats for sure. I guess you could say that the Jacks mens season and the Bison's womens season's have been big dissapointments. The Jacks Mens season more so due to injuries ect. I don't know what to blame the womens season on other then we just don't have the players yet to compete, we had some off years recruiting and anyone who jumps on that as a slam to these young women is wrong. They just don't have what it takes to compete at this level. The womens teams Amy fielded 10 years ago would crush this team. Amy needs to do some serious recruiting and I'm afraid that its going to be a few years before we get back to anything close to what we enjoyed seeing some years ago when it comes to Bison womens bball.

Bisonguy
02-05-2006, 04:44 PM
That ridiculous three poing shooting for the Jacks didn't let them down last night thats for sure. *I guess you could say that the Jacks mens season and the Bison's womens season's have been big dissapointments. *The Jacks Mens season more so due to injuries ect. *I don't know what to blame the womens season on other then we just don't have the players yet to compete, we had some off years recruiting and anyone who jumps on that as a slam to these young women is wrong. *They just don't have what it takes to compete at this level. *The womens teams Amy fielded 10 years ago would crush this team. *Amy needs to do some serious recruiting and I'm afraid that its going to be a few years before we get back to anything close to what we enjoyed seeing some years ago when it comes to Bison womens bball.

Amy has stated from the beginning of the season that depth for this team is a major concern, and that the talent level isn't as good as it should be.

SDSUFAN
02-05-2006, 04:55 PM
*Amy needs to do some serious recruiting and I'm afraid that its going to be a few years before we get back to anything close to what we enjoyed seeing some years ago when it comes to Bison womens bball.

Although the head coach has the responsiblity for recruits selected and the responsiblity extends to the last game of their eligibilty, the staff have a big part in finding these recruits doing background checks etc. I think NDSU is probably ahead in both men and women programs in terms of recruiting good athletes. I think last night the Bison where not having a good game. Katie Lorenz was having great difficulty putting it in the hoop which is the first I have seen of that.

In terms of men, Bison have done a great job recruiting, and it has not all been done by Tim Miles. Coach Miles makes the final decision, he gets the credit when things go good and gets the debits in form of hurling insults when things go bad. Unless someone can tell otherwise, a lot of credit for your current roster should go to the Smith, the guy who is now at Mayville. He no doubt had a big job in making these guys commit to NDSU. The current staff are probably working just as hard on some future recruits.

The opposite is going on in Brookings. We have made some bum choices in terms of recruiting. We seem to be going backwards and not forward. We bring guys in and redshirt them. Then the next year we find they are very average or cant play or something is wrong. Why is it NDSU has got a corp of redshirt freshman that are going to bring real honor to NDSU. I think it all goes back to the staff who probably worked their butts off checking every detail about guys like Woodside, Winkleman, Nelson and Moorman to name four. The end result is a win over the Badgers. Right now the big weakness in the SDSU program is the thoroughness of our recruiting and the choices we made. The choices have been less than perfect which is to sugar coat the whole darn mess.

RonRabbit
02-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Some interesting stats (noted in the Sioux Falls Argus Leader's story on the women's game):

Since SDSU's coach Johnston took over the women's program late in the 1999-2000 season, the Jacks and the Bison have met 13 times and with Saturday's win, SDSU has won 7 of those contests and NDSU has won 6.

Megan Vogel led SDSU with a 31-point effort. *She's a junior. *The game was her first win over the Bison on the Frost Arena floor!

Official headcount: *4,596.

Anyway...looks like a great rivalry gets better. *We'll see what happens Feb 18 in the BSA.

BisonBacker
02-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Some interesting stats (noted in the Sioux Falls Argus Leader's story on the women's game):

Since SDSU's coach Johnston took over the women's program late in the 1999-2000 season, the Jacks and the Bison have met 13 times and with Saturday's win, SDSU has won 7 of those contests and NDSU has won 6.

Megan Vogel led SDSU with a 31-point effort. *She's a junior. *The game was her first win over the Bison on the Frost Arena floor!

Official headcount: *4,596.

Anyway...looks like a great rivalry gets better. *We'll see what happens Feb 18 in the BSA.
Amy's going to have to pull the rabbit out of the Hat and kick the crap out of it to have any chance of winning that game.
Oh and yes the pun was intended. ;D

silkamilkamonico
02-05-2006, 09:23 PM
In terms of men, Bison have done a great job recruiting, and it has not all been done by Tim Miles. Coach Miles makes the final decision, he gets the credit when things go good and gets the debits in form of hurling insults when things go bad. *Unless someone can tell otherwise, a lot of credit for your current roster should go to the Smith, the guy who is now at Mayville. He no doubt had a big job in making these guys commit to NDSU. The current staff are probably working just as hard on some future recruits.

NDSU has a very good staff, and although Smith was an important piece when he was here, Todd Koening does most of the recruiting and was the most intrical part in who we have on the team now.

I just hope NDSU can hang on to him for a couple more years.

SDbison
02-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Amy has stated from the beginning of the season that depth for this team is a major concern, and that the talent level isn't as good as it should be.

And who is to blame for that? Curious as to why the downturn in Bison womens basketball over the past several years. I thought Amy had all sorts of contacts along with great tradition to bring the best area athletes to Fargo. What happened?

SDbison
02-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Although the head coach has the responsiblity for recruits selected and the responsiblity extends to the last game of their eligibilty, the staff have a big part in finding these recruits doing background checks etc. I think NDSU is probably ahead in both men and women programs in terms of recruiting good athletes. I think last night the Bison where not having a good game. Katie Lorenz was having great difficulty putting it in the hoop which is the first I have seen of that.

In terms of men, Bison have done a great job recruiting, and it has not all been done by Tim Miles. Coach Miles makes the final decision, he gets the credit when things go good and gets the debits in form of hurling insults when things go bad. *Unless someone can tell otherwise, a lot of credit for your current roster should go to the Smith, the guy who is now at Mayville. He no doubt had a big job in making these guys commit to NDSU. The current staff are probably working just as hard on some future recruits.

The opposite is going on in Brookings. We have made some bum choices in terms of recruiting. We seem to be going backwards and not forward. We bring guys in and redshirt them. Then the next year we find they are very average or cant play or something is wrong. Why is it NDSU has got a corp of redshirt freshman that are going to bring real honor to NDSU. I think it all goes back to the staff who probably worked their butts off checking every detail about guys like Woodside, Winkleman, Nelson and Moorman to name four. The end result is a win over the Badgers. Right now the big weakness in the SDSU program is the thoroughness of our recruiting and the choices we made. The choices have been less than perfect which is to sugar coat the whole darn mess.

Thanks for the kind words SDSUFAN. Seems like SDSU's women are getting better now and may have an advantage in talent for the next year or so. As for the men it is really strange how the bottom fell out of SDSU's men's program. Coach Nagy and staff could do no wrong in the past and going into DI the advantage seemed to have been all SDSU's. I still think SDSU men's basketball will be back sooner than you think. Also, sincerely hope the current NDSU men's team is for real and can be built upon and improved with more experience. Only time will tell.

SDSUFAN
02-05-2006, 10:28 PM
NDSU has a very good staff, and although Smith was an important piece when he was here, Todd Koening does most of the recruiting and was the most intrical part in who we have on the team now.

I just hope NDSU can hang on to him for a couple more years.

No doubt you are closer to the NDSU program then I am and probably more in the know. I would not dispute who was responsible, Koenig, Smith or both. But if Koening as you said should get the credit, then there is no further arguement out of me. Smith has in the past come across very good on TV, and dang it I like the guy. So if I like him, I suspect most younger people do too, plus he seems to have done a real turnaround at Mayville. I would not be disappointed if he showed up at SDSU some day. The big point is NDSU got the players and SDSU does not at this point in the season. *I am kind disappointed for that fact of life.

I posted over on the Jackrabbit board that we need to look at our current recruiting system. So far we are not making the progress that we should have IMO.

There is a hearing Monday tomorrow to determine if the protection order for the alleged victim should stand. The protection order was for only seven days. This is mess and its not about to get sort out any time soon enough. The suspended players may not get back in uniform ever again. I expect to see football players in uniform for SDSU on Feb 18th when NDSU comes calling. *

TaTonka_31
02-05-2006, 10:34 PM
If NDSU's mens game last night against IPFW is any indication, they are for real. IPFW has played a very tough schedule this year and were a good team. The Bison have had some time to practice lately and were running their stuff like clock work. Very impressive for a very young team. Shot 50% from the field with only 9 turnovers.

This is only the beginning of how good this team can be.

B-Ball_Roadgamer
02-05-2006, 11:03 PM
When it was 21-4 I was ready to leave.
You could already see/hear the fat lady singing. >:(

silkamilkamonico
02-05-2006, 11:06 PM
There is a hearing Monday tomorrow to determine if the protection order for the alleged victim should stand. The protection order was for only seven days. This is mess and its not about to get sort out any time soon enough. The suspended players may not get back in uniform ever again. I expect to see football players in uniform for SDSU on Feb 18th when NDSU comes calling. *

That's a real unfortunate situation with you guys. *Hopefully the matter will get resolved real quick. *Either they did something that wasn't morally right(whatever that may be), SDSU can just move on without them. *If it's some kind of 'misunderstanding', they can move on from the situation. *Either way it just sucks to not know.

kchats
02-06-2006, 01:13 AM
Does Whapeton (NCSCS) have a junior college women's team? If they do why are there no junior college transfers on the Bison team?

I think Amy's comment was more along the lines of this isn't the team we expected to have. She was probably talking about the players that left the program that she intended to give more minutes to this season. I believe one of them was a point guard as well. Amy is too good a coach to not correct this and get the Bison up to the level the fans expect. I expect the Bison women to continue to play hard the rest of this season and to be better next season as far as depth and won loss record.

mikelsch
02-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Coach Ruley has mentioned recruiting on some of the recent basketball shows. She knows she needs to upgrade the talent, because her current squad has holes and inexperienced players. Looking at next year's roster, she will have 9 scholarship players returning which leaves 6 spots open (15 scholarships allowed). Four players are set, leaving 2 spots open. I would expect another point guard and another scorer (maybe both from JC).

Guards
Dahlen, Katie - Sr
Girodat, Amanda - Sr (injured)
Bue, Lisa - Jr
Ellison, Danielle - Soph
Hodgson, Inger - Fr

Forwards
Dahlen, Kayla - Sr
Slyt, Brenda - Jr
Sonstelie, Ali - Soph
Shea, Megan - Fr

Centers
Heintzelman, Danni - Sr
Lemnus, Jenna - Jr
Penley, Jerri - Soph
Zaruba, Jill - Fr

jackmd
02-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the kind words SDSUFAN. *Seems like SDSU's women are getting better now and may have an advantage in talent for the next year or so. *As for the men it is really strange how the bottom fell out of SDSU's men's program. *Coach Nagy and staff could do no wrong in the past and going into DI the advantage seemed to have been all SDSU's. *I still think SDSU men's basketball will be back sooner than you think. *Also, sincerely hope the current NDSU men's team is for real and can be built upon and improved with more experience. *Only time will tell. * * *

Most insightful post I have read about Nagy and our men's team on either site. Time will tell.

basketballer
02-06-2006, 06:00 PM
I could not resist pulling this one up for quotation, as none of this happened for the Bison The exploitation of the three did happen about 15 or more times. The Bison were hopeless in defending the three. Lots of open looks. Bring on the Bison men, we only got one D1 player. ;D

I'll admit I was very wrong about this prediction. 15 threes in a game is an impressive number. I wasn't at the game, but I would look for a much closer match when SDSU plays at the BSA. It may be a different story if that barrage doesn't fall the second time around.

daherd
02-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Being a die hard Bison womens bball fan I was in a pretty bad mood at the game on Saturday night, but I couldn't help but be amazed at the atmosphere in Frost arena. I think the PA announcer does a fantastic job of keeping the crowd in the game and on there feet at every break. They really do a lot of different things on their videoboard to get the crowd cheering and ringing those cow bells. As for the game, I expect a much closer game in Fargo.

TheDoctor
02-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Definitely a tough loss. ???

Walrus
02-07-2006, 04:12 AM
I didn't think the Bison looked that bad. In fact they looked pretty good on a lot of possesions. They just ran into a couple of steamrollers named Vogel and Sieler. ;D

I don't know that the Jacks could blow them out like that every game, but I hope to see it one more time this season. See you at the BSA in a couple weeks. ;D ;D

B-Ball_Roadgamer
02-07-2006, 06:33 AM
They didn't guard the 3 pt. line at all.
They passed the ball into each others heads.
They are not up to a "physical" game.
Out-classed badly in the middle, just shove them away.
They were pathetic, IMO.
After several minutes it was over, with no hope of
a comeback.