PDA

View Full Version : Has Ruley's time passed?

BisonTyme
02-09-2006, 12:27 AM
I realize Amy is a coach that belongs in the Hall of Fame but I am starting to wonder if we need something new to create a spark in recruiting and current players???

B-Ball_Roadgamer
02-09-2006, 02:21 AM
(Has Ruley's time passed?)

Absolutely.

TransAmBison
02-09-2006, 02:26 AM
I think she looks worse because the men have looked so good. I think she deserves one to two more years at least. She's done well by the program for a long time. It would be a shame if people turned on her so quickly.

GoBison127
02-09-2006, 02:30 AM
No way...This is the first time in a looooonnng time that Amy's team has been going through such a down time. Sure they've lost 4 straight but it was just a year ago that we watched them lose only one game. The competition is getting much tougher so you're bound to go through some tough times. That's what comes along with the transition. Amy Ruley will never be asked to leave NDSU. It'll be when she feels that she is ready to be done.

BisonMav
02-09-2006, 02:39 AM
Amy has given a lot to the Bison program, she deserves to stay as long as she wants.

B-Ball_Roadgamer
02-09-2006, 02:40 AM
This wasn't quickly.
I'd have fired her years ago!
One notch higher, too.
Overdue for some big (and better) changes.
That's assuming the top people have enough brains
to make changes in direction when they hire.
They could also increase attendence with
a CORRECT new hire, and players.
So many good things could happen!
New, and different, players, too.

BisonBacker
02-09-2006, 02:46 AM
I'm not ready to pass on Amy yet she deserves better. She does however need to get things rolling in the right direction and soon or threads like this will persist. I think from a coaching standpoint Amy still has it, always will but where she really needs to hit it hard is recruiting, if she can't do that it won't matter how good of a coach she is. You have to have the players to compete at this level, Tim and the mens team have proved that. Amy's recruiting the last couple of years has not stood up to Move up and it won't be getting any easier. I for one hope she's up to it. One last thing and I'm making no excuses for her, she needs none but cut her some slack, its not like she hasn't had anything going on personally in the last two years ie. :-/ battling cancer.

BisonMav
02-09-2006, 02:46 AM
This wasn't quickly.
I'd have fired her years ago!
One notch higher, too.
Overdue for some big (and better) changes.
That's assuming the top people have enough brains
to make changes in direction when they hire.
They could also increase attendence with
a CORRECT new hire, and players.
So many good things could happen!
New, and different, players, too.

So we should just throw away a coach that is having a bad year, that brought 5 National Championships to NDSU. She is a huge part in the Bison women's program being what it has been. Many of us watched the Women's team grow from being the warmup for the men's team to competing with fans of the men's team. I guess maybe I have too much gratitude towards Coach Ruley, but I say let her control her own future.

GoBison127
02-09-2006, 03:11 AM
Agree 100% Dobie

Wacker_in_the_Hall
02-09-2006, 03:24 AM
I realize Amy is a coach that belongs in the Hall of Fame but I am starting to wonder if we need something new to create a spark in recruiting and current players???

When I read lunacy like this on here----I realize why I don't visit this site often.

Give me a frickin break--no womens coach in this area could have done, or can do the job Amy can do. Her schedule has been tougher than the mens---combine that with a few injuries. ...It is not what she wanted, and no one is more dissapointed than Amy

Amy represents what is good about NDSU--high quality student athletes who graduate. Women's basketball and has been the top program (Mens or Womens) over the last 15 years.

Mr_Meanor
02-09-2006, 04:03 AM
Ruley has done alot for the school and is an exceptional coach and recruiter. I think she would be the first to point out that the team is having a rough year and its not one of her better teams. I have heard her say many times this year that the team lacks depth. When you are a coach of her caliber she deserves to be able to have a down year every now and then. Hopefully she can develope these younger players and bring the Bison up to the level we are accustomed to.

Yellow
02-09-2006, 04:07 AM
the team wouldnt have near the wins this year if amy wasnt coaching. Her coaching alone has brought wins

Mr_Meanor
02-09-2006, 04:23 AM
the team wouldnt have near the wins this year if amy wasnt coaching. Her coaching alone has brought wins
Its hard to tell...Ruley is a great coach but this team just doesn't have much talent

B-Ball_Roadgamer
02-09-2006, 04:25 AM
She's on the down side of the hill.
She gave NDSU all she could, it's time to move on.
I've watched the team for many years.
Aren't you tired of the -getting worse- recruiting?
Sloopy play, bad passing, etc?
Aren't you really tired of seeing her get
outcoached more and more times every year???
She and Lynn should be sent packing.
Give NDSU the chance to go higher with new players,
a new coach, and a new attitude.

IH8daSioux
02-09-2006, 04:34 AM
a WHOLE 'nother can of worms.... .... I would love to see her slither away..... but alas...... she wont go til dear Amy is gone.... soooooo........

Mr_Meanor
02-09-2006, 04:38 AM
She's on the down side of the hill.
She gave NDSU all she could, it's time to move on.
I've watched the team for many years.
Aren't you tired of the -getting worse- recruiting?
Sloopy play, bad passing, etc?
Aren't you really tired of seeing her get
outcoached more and more times every year???
She and Lynn should be sent packing.
Give NDSU the chance to go higher with new players,
a new coach, and a new attitude.
She had a bad year this year...so what? I think she still has a few more years in her

TheDoctor
02-09-2006, 04:56 AM
Yeah, possibly a little harsh for having a down year, although I don't think next will be any better without Katie.

B-Ball_Roadgamer
02-09-2006, 05:00 AM
(Amy has given a lot to the Bison program, she deserves to stay as long as she wants. )

Why? That's not the nature of coaching.

Mr_Meanor
02-09-2006, 05:03 AM
Yeah, possibly a little harsh for having a down year, although I don't think next will be any better without Katie.
I dont know...I think they have some pretty good young talent. Losing Lorenz and Gibbs will hurt but I think alot of the younger girls will step up and fill the holes. I think Slyt and Sonstelie will turn out to be great players

Mr_Meanor
02-09-2006, 05:08 AM
I don't understand why people say good coaches should have the ability to stay as long as they want. It just doesn't make since. College sports is about winning and you if you aren't getting it done you should should be fired. That being said good coaches like Ruley should be given some slack when it comes to having a down year every once in a while, especially when you are making a transition from DII to DI

Leonardite
02-09-2006, 06:32 AM
This is ridiculous. I notice that most of the veteran posters have been silent on this, probably because it's an absurd topic. One mediocre year in the first full D-1 schedule? Forgive the team for not sweeping the nation and striking fear into UCONN right out of the gates. ::)

NDSUstudent
02-09-2006, 06:53 AM
This a ridiculous topic and I'm ashamed to see it on Bisonville. Amy Ruley is NDSU women's basketball, she built this program from the ground up and has reached untouchable status in my view. She can coach at NDSU for as long as she wants. The Bison lost some great players last year and their best recruit before the season even started. Just give Amy some time and I am very confident that she will bring the womens program back to where it needs to be. I'm sure Amy had many great offers to coach DI teams while the Bison had tons of success in D2 and we are lucky she is this committed to NDSU. We need to show her the same commitment through this bumpy stretch the Bison are going through *becuase she has earned it and I doubt we will find a coach that is half as good as Amy is.

tony
02-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Good lord, can people tell when I'm not watching the board?

Ridiculous. Coach Ruley will turn it around. I don't think folks realize what they have sometimes. Or maybe they have a grudge.

imported_admin
02-09-2006, 10:48 AM
For those of you who haven't spent much time on bulletin boards, when you read something outrageous, check to see how many times that person has posted and when they joined (you can also view their posting history). If a person has posted only a couple times, joined a few days ago, and is posting something ridiculous, you should be suspicious.

That's almost certainly why veteran posters aren't responding - they probably figure there's a good chance that we have trolls on our hands and trolls want you to respond. Generally, the best thing to do is ignore them until you know who you are dealing with. For those of you not familiar with internet terminology check out the following hyperlink: Wikipedia definition of Troll (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll).

Even if not trolls, if somebody has a grudge against a Bison coach or player, they will not be allowed to use this forum to advance it for long because the hate gets tiresome.

TheDoctor
02-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Never thought about that. Hey, I am new. No offense taken! ;D

BisonTyme
02-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Well, I am the one who started this post and I guess I am not sure what a troll is. I am one of the biggest Bison fans you will ever meet and use to be part of the program. I started this thread to see what people thought about the possiblity of Coach Ruley stepping down. I never thought she should be fired. She obviously has a phenomenal track record. I just think that her recruiting has been mediocre over the past couple of years and we are seeing the effects of it. I realize that the schedule has toughened up this year but that is no excuse for getting stomped like we did against our rival. She needs to focus on recruiting great athletes with solid character. Not average players who stay at home every night and are afraid to enjoy the college experience.

Mr_Meanor
02-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Well, I am the one who started this post and I guess I am not sure what a troll is. I am one of the biggest Bison fans you will ever meet and use to be part of the program. I started this thread to see what people thought about the possiblity of Coach Ruley stepping down. I never thought she should be fired. She obviously has a phenomenal track record. I just think that her recruiting has been mediocre over the past couple of years and we are seeing the effects of it. I realize that the schedule has toughened up this year but that is no excuse for getting stomped like we did against our rival. She needs to focus on recruiting great athletes with solid character. Not average players who stay at home every night and are afraid to enjoy the college experience.
I agree with you...cach ruley has done great things for the program. I think Slyt and Sonstelie will turnout to be great players. But i think the one question mark i have with Ruley is how well she will be able to expand the recruiting base to bring in players from other areas of the country. I don't think the women bison will be able to be competive just recruiting, MN, ND and SD. And as far as I know she is a very very good recruiter I just hope she will be able to bring in talent from other areas of the country.,

BisonTyme
02-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Thank you Mr_Meanor. Amy needs to re-structure her recruiting process. Miles and Bohl have both realized that we are not going to have top recruits handed to us based on our strong tradition as much as in the past. Those two have done a phenomenal job with the transition into D-I. To lure top recruits from outside our boundaries we are going have to sell them a lot harder on what a great program we have along with the academic side of things. The banners in the gym help out but this is a new Division and we need to work very hard to keep up the tradition that many people over the years have worked so hard to create. I wish Amy the best of luck and hope she has a great recruiting season to take us to the next level!

Mr_Meanor
02-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Thank you Mr_Meanor. Amy needs to re-structure her recruiting process. Miles and Bohl have both realized that we are not going to have top recruits handed to us based on our strong tradition as much as in the past. Those two have done a phenomenal job with the transition into D-I. To lure top recruits from outside our boundaries we are going have to sell them a lot harder on what a great program we have along with the academic side of things. The banners in the gym help out but this is a new Division and we need to work very hard to keep up the tradition that many people over the years have worked so hard to create. I wish Amy the best of luck and hope she has a great recruiting season to take us to the next level!
I agree...NDSU has a very good womens basketball traditon which leads to very high expectations from the fan. But it is only normal for a team to suffer a little when making a jump to D I. However Ruley needs to realize she is going to have to work harder to find better recruits. ND and MN havd alot of quality players that would be exceptional D II players but only a few that will be good D I players. Ruley is going to have to try to expand the recruting base and find a way to get more top D I recruits to come to NDSU from area outside of ND, MN and SD. I think remodleing the BSA would make a huge difference in recruiting for both the mens and womens program.

TheDoctor
02-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Is everyone friends again now? :P

B-Ball_Roadgamer
02-09-2006, 08:55 PM
(Is everyone friends again now?)
I doubt it. Tony and the "veteran posters"
don't like my opinions.
They think it's "ridiculous" & "absurd" to make
high level changes.
I think it's reasonable and prudent to take a look at doing so.
I've spent a ton of time, effort, and money, to support
the womens program for many years.
I love the program and want to see it flourish.
I think The Program deserves that we look at all aspects
and see where improvements can be made.
No troll Tony, just a strong difference of opinion.

Mr_Meanor
02-09-2006, 09:08 PM
(Is everyone friends again now?)
*I doubt it. *Tony and the "veteran posters"
don't like my opinions.
They think it's "ridiculous" & "absurd" to make
high level changes.
I think it's reasonable and prudent to take a look at doing so.
I've spent a ton of time, effort, and money, to support
the womens program for many years.
I love the program and want to see it flourish.
I think The Program deserves that we look at all aspects
and see where improvements can be made.
No troll Tony, just a strong difference of opinion.
I agree with some of what you say but not everything. *The womens basketball tradition at NDSU is stong and we have high expectations as fans. *We expect to have winning seasons. *Coach Ruley has done alot for the school and program and is an exceptional coach. Every team has its down years and I don't think we should jump all over Ruley yet. *However...being a Bison fan I expect the team to be successful. *If losing seasons continue I think they would have to seriously look at moving in a new direction. *I don't understand how people can say look at what she has done to the school, she should be able to leave on her own terms when she is ready. *I want to see a winning program....period. *I don't care if its with Ruley or someone else. *If the team continues to have losing season something has to be done. *With all that I have said I think Ruley is a great coach who knows what she is doing. *I don't see the Bison having another season like this next year. *I think they should be improve and start to return to the form we are accustomed to.

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2006, 10:50 PM
I can understand that people think Amy deserves to go out on her own, and I won't argue with that. Her credentials speak for itself.

On the other hand, look at where NDSU women's basketball is right now.

We are struggling this year, and there is absolutely noone on that bench in terms of young talent that gives the women's basketball program a bright future.

Someone made a comment about how the team wouldn't even have this many wins this year if it wasn't for Amy's coaching. I can agree with that. On the other hand, it doesn't say much at all for her recruiting. UND has contineously outrecruited NDSU in the last 5 years or so, and it shows up on the success of the season. NDSU's last couple years in the NCC conference didn't exactly go like the late 1990's did either.

Next year Lorenz will be gone, and with the exception of the incoming recruits (who knows how good they really are or what kind of impact they will really make), there won't be much to work with at all in terms of talent.

I think next year will be worse then this year, and unless there is some major changes in the program, it won't get much better.

But I do think Amy deserves to stay as long as she wants, even if it's at the expense of the women's program for a couple years.

MinotBison
02-09-2006, 11:44 PM
I think Amy has earned the benefit of quite a bit more than a few doubts.

MinotBison
02-09-2006, 11:48 PM
P.S. It would be interesting to hear from some of her former players on this thread.

Ladies?

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2006, 11:48 PM
P.S. *It would be interesting to hear from some of her former players on this thread.

Ladies?

Good luck with that one.

;D

B-Ball_Roadgamer
02-09-2006, 11:58 PM
(But I do think Amy deserves to stay as long as she wants, even if it's at the expense of the women's program for a couple years. )
Are you prepared to have her here another
27 years?
(to stay as long as she wants,) or (for a couple years)
Which way are you going?
You can't have it both ways.
Why does any coach "deserve to stay"?
Coaches come and go all the time. It's the
nature of coaching.
I like her but I think her best days of coaching at
NDSU are behind her. I hope, for the sake of
the program, that she proves me wrong.
I'll applaude her if she does.

silkamilkamonico
02-10-2006, 12:23 AM
(But I do think Amy deserves to stay as long as she wants, even if it's at the expense of the women's program for a couple years. )
*Are you prepared to have her here another
27 years? *
(to stay as long as she wants,) or (for a couple years)
Which way are you going?
You can't have it both ways.
Why does any coach "deserve to stay"?
Coaches come and go all the time. It's the
nature of coaching.
I like her but I think her best days of coaching at
NDSU are behind her. *I hope, for the sake of
the program, that she proves me wrong.
I'll applaude her if she does.

I would hope, and think, that if she realized she wasn't going anywhere twith the program in a couple years she would be smart enough to step down.

She shouldn't have to be forced out.

And no, she wouldn't be here another 27 years reguardless. I don't even know why you went there.

tony
02-10-2006, 12:36 AM
The women were just in the title game a year or two before moving up, and all Ruley has done is take NDSU to 7 or 8 title games while being a great ambassador for NDSU on the national scene. Treat her poorly and be prepared for NDSU to be a pariah in WBB for a long, long time. You could forget about getting any favors on the schedule, for example.

Anyway, if recruiting is a problem now, maybe it's time to start asking what NDSU needs to do to rectify the situation. Hmm. How about getting her team a conference, tourney eligibility, better facilities, less hectic travel, and a bigger recruiting budget (if necessary)?

On the bright side, her three recruits so far this year look pretty good (Megan Shea, Jill Zaruba, and Inger Hodgson), and Amy might yet pick up another one if she thinks it's necessary.

Things will turn around and Amy is the one to get it done. Heck, I'm so fired up now that I'm going to add a WBB annex to Bisonville as soon as I'm done with my current project.

bisongold
02-10-2006, 12:55 AM
Amy knows what it takes to win. Sometimes everything goes wrong at once. If you get through the worst time, great things may be waiting. My money is on Amy.

scottheck
02-10-2006, 01:21 AM
Has Ruley's time passed?

No.

SDbison
02-10-2006, 03:03 AM
Question: Why were the Bison women starting to lose more to UND and SDSU just before the DI transition? Also now look at where those programs are at several years later. Somehow something is going wrong. If Amy was so good at recruiting why are other local teams doing so well and NDSU is fading? Seems like the better recruits chose to go to SDSU, UND, or UMD. Too much local competition? Is Amy losing the recruiting battle? Is it NDSU? The facilities? Coaching staff? The farther away from those DII championship years, the less likely tradition will be a factor. SDSU and UND women had more recent DII playoff appearances. Is that a big factor?

kchats
02-10-2006, 04:13 AM
NDSU only lost one game last season playing a division II schedule. They also beat SDSU both times they played them. You can think UND is better because they have a good division II record but NDSU would have a great division II record as well. SDSU is the team to compare the Bison to and we beat them twice last year in close games and they blew us out this year. SDSU prepared themselves for this season a little better by playing a mixture of division I and division II games last season. I expect the Bison women to have a very good season next year. This year has been subpar but it isn't anything Amy can't correct. Remember Amy will be bringing Tennessee to Fargo for a game in the not so distant future, no other coach will do that.

jjbluecw
02-10-2006, 04:16 AM
Is this thread for real?

I heard Joe Pa's time had passed for years...........

Bisondad
02-10-2006, 06:03 PM
The Seahawks nearly fired Holmgren 1 year ago. No sense in firing a proven coach.

NDSUstudent
02-10-2006, 06:08 PM
The Seahawks nearly fired Holmgren 1 year ago. *No sense in firing a proven coach.

I agree, just last year everyone was praising Ruley and now after losing a lot good players and her top recruit people need to give her some time to rebuild. Ruley won't be down for too long and I think she will have NDSU back on it's feet and competiting at a high level by the time the transistion is over.

bisonmike
02-10-2006, 07:11 PM
with the career record she has and how she has built up the bison basketball program Ruley has earned the right to have a bad season now again. Honestly I'm not sure it is that bad of season. Sure wins are down, but for the most part their down against better competition. And the unexpected successes of B-ball and football have only made it look like the women's b-ball is failing when really it's pretty close to being on track. Remember we are still a transitioning D1 school.

sambini
02-11-2006, 05:42 AM
Amy will bring them back. For all she has went through in the last few years. +++

silkamilkamonico
02-11-2006, 07:02 PM
with the career record she has and how she has built up the bison basketball program Ruley has earned the right to have a bad season now again. *Honestly I'm not sure it is that bad of season. *Sure wins are down, but for the most part their down against better competition. *And the unexpected successes of B-ball and football have only made it look like the women's b-ball is failing when really it's pretty close to being on track. *Remember we are still a transitioning D1 school.

I seriously think the next SDSU game will let them now exactly where they at.

I know you don't want to compare programs, but making the transition together, and both having good storied programs, I think the 2 programs can compare with each other how the transition is going.

NDSU got absolutely blown out of the water the first game, and if there is another game like that in Fargo against the Jackrabbits, I think it's cause for concern.

SDSU still has talent coming back, and some good recruits coming in next year. I honestly can't say that about the Bison right now.

kchats
02-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Remember NDSU beat SDSU twice last year and SDSU did very well against their division I schedule last season too. I wouldn't overreact to another loss to SDSU. If the women get rested up they should be fresher for the game. I think the lack of depth is starting to wear them down. They played Minnesota fairly tough so they can't be that bad. Amy will get them back on track.

kchats
02-18-2006, 04:27 AM
Amy Ruley knows what the Bison Women's team needs. I expect a much better team next season.

http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?page=article_full&id=117815

sambini
02-18-2006, 05:49 AM
+++++

silkamilkamonico
02-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Amy Ruley knows what the Bison Women's team needs. *I expect a much better team next season.

I don't want to sound real negative with this, but is she just realizing this now? What has she been doing the last couple of years?

bisongold
02-19-2006, 01:52 AM
If you looked at Mile's record and teams the last 4 years you would wonder why he was still on staff also. But he had a plan and worked it. I have more confidence in Amy fixing the program with her great history than I did in Miles last year at this time. I think both programs are in great hands... just a small stumble for the women this year.

silkamilkamonico
02-19-2006, 02:26 AM
But he had a plan and worked it. *I have more confidence in Amy fixing the program with her great history than I did in Miles last year at this time. *I think both programs are in great hands... just a small stumble for the women this year.

I would have thought with Amy's history and experience, and the tradition of NDSU women's basketball NDSU would be in better hands.

I still don't understand why it took Amy 3 years or whatever before she figured out that recruiting was going to be a problem.

I could have told her that 2 years ago, looking at her incoming recruits.

silkamilkamonico
02-19-2006, 02:53 AM
77-55 SDSU women win in Fargo.

wow.

Bisonguy
02-19-2006, 02:55 AM
77-55 SDSU women win in Fargo.

wow.

Is the score really suprising? ???

silkamilkamonico
02-19-2006, 02:56 AM
Is the score really suprising? *???

Not so much the score, just the performance of the women's team.

BisonBacker
02-19-2006, 03:03 AM
Was at the game, the first half the women seemed to be playing ok. The second half they came out flat and played sloppy. Congrats to the SDSU women on embarrasing the NDSU women on their own court. No suprise tho given the year the women have had. But how they let it get so out of hand in just one half is embarrassing. Now the mens score, what is up with that? Guess we can look forward to spring football.

DIBISON
02-19-2006, 04:25 AM
The Jacks were so much quicker and athletic than the Bison, especially was evident in the second half. No doubt Any needs to get a couple of experienced impact players with the two remaining scholarships. For the future, there is some quality returning but no impact players. I'm afraid its going to take a couple of great recruiting classes to get the Bison women back to the level that we all expect.

BisonTyme
02-19-2006, 04:56 AM
Dear BisonBacker,

This is the problem with SOME of you Bison "fans" out there. When a program at NDSU is going through a rough spot you are out there bad mouthing our own program. If you really want to congratulate the SDSU women for "embarrassing" our women on our court then maybe you should find the Jackrabbit message board and go join theirs. There are too many fair weathered fans out there and it looks like we have found one on our message board. I say keep your heads up ladies and we are going to continue to support you win or lose. Play hard and lets get a couple of W's to finish out the season!

Sincerely,

True BisonBacker

sambini
02-19-2006, 05:13 AM
Very good BISONTYME and GO Bison. ++++++++++++

Walrus
02-19-2006, 06:22 AM
I am an SDSU grad and fan, but I've lived in the Fargo media market for about 25 of the last 29 years. I saw the game tonight and the game at Frost earlier in the year and obviously the Jacks are ahead of the Bison right now, especially in terms of depth. Aaron Johnston doesn't need to worry too much, regardless of who he brings into the game.

I would say that I have more admiration and respect for Amy Ruley any other opposing coach in any sport. If I were a Bison fan I would be inclined to hang on to her. She's got a lotta class and she knows basketball. Purdue thought so too, when they came calling a few years ago.

jjbluecw
02-19-2006, 08:34 AM
Amy Ruley knows what the Bison Women's team needs. I expect a much better team next season.

I hope some jucos are coming if that is what you expect??

jjbluecw
02-19-2006, 09:17 AM
I would have thought with Amy's history and experience, and the tradition of NDSU women's basketball NDSU would be in better hands.

I still don't understand why it took Amy 3 years or whatever before she figured out that recruiting was going to be a problem.

I could have told her that 2 years ago, looking at her incoming recruits.

I think she could have told you that long before you or I could have.

Jackrabbit
02-19-2006, 01:08 PM
At one time, Amy Ruley had the "pick of the litter" in the Dakotas when it came to recruiting high school basketball players. All she had to do was show up. That doesn't happen anymore. With the storied history of the NDSU women's program, I never thought I'd see the day when we would defeat Amy Ruley off the court (in recruiting of high school athletes) but that day has come. She is no longer the force she used to be. That said, she is a great coach with all the awards to go with it. The fact is, it's not 1995 anymore.

BisonBacker
02-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Dear BisonBacker,

This is the problem with SOME of you Bison "fans" out there. When a program at NDSU is going through a rough spot you are out there bad mouthing our own program. If you really want to congratulate the SDSU women for "embarrassing" our women on our court then maybe you should find the Jackrabbit message board and go join theirs. There are too many fair weathered fans out there and it looks like we have found one on our message board. I say keep your heads up ladies and we are going to continue to support you win or lose. Play hard and lets get a couple of W's to finish out the season!

Sincerely,

True BisonBacker
First I sincerely did congratulate the SDSU women several times in different posts for the win. As far as being a true Bison fan saying that our ladies were embarrased on their own floor is appropriate and the truth. Hell Amy would tell you the same thing. Yes times are tough right now for Bison womens Bball but I still fully support Amy and have defended her in this thread, go back and read before you start to criticize. As far as last nights game I still stand by my post. It was a terrible game, if you don't like that then thats just to bad its a fact. As far as a fair weathered fan goes if your definition of a fair weathered fan is one who discusses a game objectively and doesn't hide his or her head in the sand then yep you got it, I'm a fair weathered fan I guess. Now I'm going to step back into reality and leave BisonTyme to the world of make believe.

BisonBacker
02-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Dear BisonBacker,

Sincerely,

True BisonBacker
One last thought that I can't help but point out. You have the nerve to question my support of NDSU and you are the one who started this whole thread in the first place. You question whether Amy's time has passed and wonder if we need a new spark as you put it? Thats way too funny. You question one of the most winningest coaches for womens basketball anywhere while I defend her and then you question me? Yeah right. You need to get a clue before you start to post trash BisonTyme.

OCBison
02-19-2006, 04:11 PM
When is the subject of "philospohical differences" going to rear it's ugly head with Coach Ruley?

One wouldn't have thought that it was possible for Bina and Dorn to have philospohical differences but they obviously did.

How long before they happen between Amy and Lynn?

I love the comments by people stating how much Coach Ruley has done for the program and the college. It's true, she HAS done a lot but the world of big-time DI Athletics (whcih is what everybody wants it seems) is what have you done for me lately? Don't ever forget that.

It doesn't matter how many DII National Championships she's won if she's not going to be able to bring in the players to make the program competitive at the DI level than ......

I'm just glad it's not me having to make that decision.

alwaysabison
02-19-2006, 07:28 PM
I played for the Bison under Coach Ruley during the late 1990s. I noticed one of the posts was looking for the opinions of the former players so here goes!

First of all, as a player for Coach Ruley I learned she is one of the most intelligent and competitive people around. Her expectations for winning and where she wants the program are higher than anyone's. This is tougher on her and our current players than anyone...they feel like they are letting everyone down, when in fact, we all know they are in an up hill climb.

Coach Ruley is a brilliant coach and as a player I felt she pushed me to be the best player I could possibly be. Her strengths are preparation and knowledge of the game. Most of our wins came because we were more prepared and better disciplined than the other team. Is Coach Ruley an easy coach to play for? Absolutely not! But the types of athletes we want at NDSU should be competetive and willing to be pushed.

I would agree with many of the posts that say recruiting has dropped off. At this point there are a lot of factors contributing to that...some in Coach's control, but many out of her control.

You might be wondering why I chose NDSU or maybe what a player might look at when they are trying to make their choice. I chose NDSU because of it's winning tradition. I wanted a National Championship and I wanted to play in front of one of the best crowds in the nation night in and night out. Other factors were my major/education and location. I wanted to play at a place where my family and friends could see most games. And in a sense, I chose Coach Ruley and Kelli Layman over other coaches. I appreciated how they recruited me and what they had to offer. The program has class. Finally, the community! What's not to love about Fargo!

Some of the things out of Coach's control that I believe are contributing to a dip in quality recruits: 1) Facility...as much as I loved playing in the BSA, it is getting old and outdated. I feel the sooner we get a facility built for basketball only, the better. Players love to play in the best facilities. 2) The reclassification to DI...players want to play for titles...it's simply a tougher time to get great players in (somehow Coach has to figure out a better way to sell it and it should get easier as we near the end of the probation.) 3) Figuring out how to recruit nationally and locally vs. strictly locally. Women choose where to play differently than men. Give Coach Ruley a little time to figure this out...if I know here well enough, she will get it done!!

I think it would be crazy to let one of the best and most respected coaches in the country go. I was really surprised and a bit disappointed to see this thread at all, although, I don't blame Bison fans for their concern!! It's great to have that many people in and around the community that care about the program.

tony
02-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Thank you, Alwaysabison!

It's probably hard to tell how deeply angry this thread made me. Let's just say I think some people could learn a lesson from reading about then thinking about the Peloponnesian War (or if that's too much for them, Chicken Little).

silkamilkamonico
02-19-2006, 08:08 PM
I think she could have told you that long before you or I could have.

Then why wasn't she out there recruiting them?

We made the transition into D1 2 years ago I believe, and we knew we were going D1 before that.

WHy did she continue to recruit D2 players up through last year, to move on to a year like this year where the team struggles, and then makes a comment that she now knows that she needs to recruit better?

Doesn't make any sense to me in the least.

silkamilkamonico
02-19-2006, 08:10 PM
At one time, Amy Ruley had the "pick of the litter" in the Dakotas when it came to recruiting high school basketball players. *All she had to do was show up. *That doesn't happen anymore. * With the storied history of the NDSU women's program, I never thought I'd see the day when we would defeat Amy Ruley off the court (in recruiting of high school athletes) but that day has come. *She is no longer the force she used to be. *That said, she is a great coach with all the awards to go with it. *The fact is, it's not 1995 anymore.

Sadly I agree with you.

She has been outrecruited by the school up north for a few years going now.

silkamilkamonico
02-19-2006, 08:12 PM
There's no question that Amy is a great coach.

And I still have faith that she will turn things around here.

I'm just really curious on what's been going on the last few years. Like I've said before, one can argue that Katie Lorenz is the last legit talent on this team at this point.

BisonBacker
02-20-2006, 01:14 AM
If nothing else Amy deserves some time to get things turned around. If the program is struggling in a few years then I say its fair to have this thread, for now its ridiculous.

Rabbitlivinginverm
02-20-2006, 01:20 AM
If nothing else Amy deserves some time to get things turned around. *If the program is struggling in a few years then I say its fair to have this thread, for now its ridiculous.

Here's another one that's ridiculous over on the Jackrabbit board.

"Is Nagy Gone?"

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=sdsubb;action=display;num=1140375565

jjbluecw
02-20-2006, 05:56 AM
Then why wasn't she out there recruiting them?

We made the transition into D1 2 years ago I believe, and we knew we were going D1 before that.

WHy did she continue to recruit D2 players up through last year, to move on to a year like this year where the team struggles, and then makes a comment that she now knows that she needs to recruit better?

Doesn't make any sense to me in the least.

You ever think about that just because you recruit a player doesn't mean you sign that recruit. I heard that Amy missed out on about her top six recruits last year. I trust that Amy can evaluate talent and knows exactly what type of players she needs to stay competitive in DI.....it's just a matter of signing them.

WYOBISONMAN
02-20-2006, 06:22 AM
Since a picture is worth 1000 words.....and NO....Ruleys time has not come to pass......Let's lock this stupid thread......

http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/images/smiles/deadhorse.gif

JBNJBQ
02-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Several on this board questioned the motive behind her scheduling last year.

Some even thought she was just trying to protect her W/L record.

You can thank AJ and his staff for lining up several DI teams for you this year as a result of the traveling SDSU did last year. I know we are partners. We didn't get any games this year from Amy's work last year. Partners?

I don't think she should be fired, but she certainly made a terrible miscalculation last year. Unfortunately your team and your fans are paying the price this year.

It could impact the team for years to come.

I said a year ago I thought she was biding her time before leaving. We'll have to wait to see if I'm right.

BisonTyme
02-20-2006, 05:28 PM
It sounds like making this thread could have been a mistake. I was just interested in hearing people's opinons about the future of the women's program. Like I said in the very first post...what is it going to take to put a spark in the recruiting that has fallen off in the past few years. Lorenz was set to go to UND but the genious coach up to the North was stupid enough to let that one get away. Amy just needs to start working a little harder at bringing in the top athletes in the area and find a way to get the recruits that are choosing UND over Us.

SDbison
02-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Amy just needs to start working a little harder at bringing in the top athletes in the area and find a way to get the recruits that are choosing UND over Us.
0r choosing SDSU, UMD etc. over NDSU. I think it was in another related thread where a former NDSU women's basketball player confirmed that recruiting is the problem. The DII championships a decade ago are meaningless to today's recruit. Also, one of the first negatives pointed out by the former player is facilities. The BSA needs renovations ASAP, but plans need to be started for a new basketball and future hockey facility. Maybe this could be a joint venture with the city just like the dome (possibly attached)? A 10,000 seat arena would be ideal. As far as Amy is concerned she deserves a few more years to pull things together. I just don't understand how she let things get to this point. In a way the women's basketball demise parallels the football programs downturn only several years later. I think it is tough to be at the top, but once you have been there and start to slip down it is twice as hard to get back up because every team is still giving everything they got to beat you.

BisonTyme
02-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Hey BisonBacker..I am not going to turn this into a spitting contest with you. I just don't like to hear about a "fan" being embarrased of any of our programs. When we went 2-8 in football I sure was not happy about it but I wasn't embarassed either. I knew that we would get the football program back on top just like we did. Amy and the coaches need to find a way to do the same and again...to beat a dead horse....it starts with RECRUITING!

JACKGUYII
02-20-2006, 08:26 PM
I heard the tail end of an interview with AJ and he was asked if SDSU competed with NDSU for recruits. His response was no with respect to NDSU we are looking for different types of players that compliment our style of play. The Jacks have Maria Boever from Worthington coming in next year who is a MS. Basketball In Minnesota candidate. On paper we have one of the best recruiting classes at SDSU coming in next year. Our DI success and facilites played a role but so does AJ's coaching style.

BisonBacker
02-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey BisonBacker..I am not going to turn this into a spitting contest with you. I just don't like to hear about a "fan" being embarrased of any of our programs. When we went 2-8 in football I sure was not happy about it but I wasn't embarassed either. I knew that we would get the football program back on top just like we did. Amy and the coaches need to find a way to do the same and again...to beat a dead horse....it starts with RECRUITING!
That's fine but don't mis quote me then either. Go back and read what I posted, here part of the comment "Congrats to the SDSU women on embarrasing the NDSU women on their own court".
I never said I was embarrassed and yes you did start this thread. As far as I'm concerned end of story. As far as facilities is concerned Amy is at a disadvantage when you compare the BSA to Frost or what they have up north. The sooner that issue is addressed the easier it will be for her to recruit. Personally I don't see things turning around next year either as one of the posts from a rabbit fan mentioned SDSU's class of recruits next year is one of their best. It's not going to get any easier but then again no one ever said the move to DI was going to be easy.

Bisondad
02-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Miles is facing the same recruting obstacles as Ruley. Probably worse considering NDSU's mens basketball's lack of past success. I think the women are having a tough year and that may be the case for awhile at D-I. Minnesota, before Lindsay Whelen, was terrible. Now look at them. Just be patient

silkamilkamonico
02-21-2006, 01:17 AM
You ever think about that just because you recruit a player doesn't mean you sign that recruit. *I heard that Amy missed out on about her top six recruits last year. *I trust that Amy can evaluate talent and knows exactly what type of players she needs to stay competitive in DI.....it's just a matter of signing them.

Yeah. I've stated that numerous times actually, something isn't going right when you continue to lose your targeted recruits to local schools and such.

Glad she's finally realized she needs to recruit 'harder'.

DORMIE
02-22-2006, 11:06 PM
If you think Ruley is just going to roll over and end up on the couch,
you're smoking some bad shit. If you've heard her at Teammakers
or saw her after the SDSU game, I think she's on a mission. The
transition is a lot harder that most of us understand. I give Coach
Johnson at SDSU a lot of credit for what he's done. It's going to be
tough until we can get into a conference or can win 20 games and
get into the NIT. When the point guard went home to Wisc. (she's
now on scholarship at U of Wisc.- Amy told me she would have been
another Woodside) and Amanda Girodat went down, our year was over. What foodball team could lose 2 QB's and be successful. Give
her some slack, she'll get it done.

sambini
02-23-2006, 12:12 AM
RIGHT ON Dormie+++++

JBNJBQ
02-23-2006, 12:42 AM
Several on this board questioned the motive behind her scheduling last year. *

Some even thought she was just trying to protect her W/L record.

You can thank AJ and his staff for lining up several DI teams for you this year as a result of the traveling SDSU did last year. I know we are partners. We didn't get any games this year from Amy's work last year. *Partners?

I don't think she should be fired, but she certainly made a terrible miscalculation last year. *Unfortunately your team and your fans are paying the price this year. *

It could impact the team for years to come.

I said a year ago I thought she was biding her time before leaving. *We'll have to wait to see if I'm right.

Let me make a prediction:

I have heard that Minnesota women's coach is in trouble. Some fans and some team members not happy. 4 game losing streak and counting. May be her last year. Who do think they replace her with?

My prediciton, Amy Ruley.

No recruiting to worry about. No waiting period to be tournament eligible. Great facilities. Great support. Great fans. Instant gratification and recognition playing against the best in DI. Not a bad pay increase.

What do you think?

BisonBacker
02-23-2006, 01:44 AM
I think your on drugs ;)

BisonMav
02-23-2006, 02:15 AM

I have heard that Minnesota women's coach is in trouble. Some fans and some team members not happy. 4 game losing streak and counting. May be her last year. Who do think they replace her with? *

No recruiting to worry about. No waiting period to be tournament eligible. Great facilities. Great support. Great fans. Instant gratification and recognition playing against the best in DI. Not a bad pay increase.

What do you think?

Didn't Amy turn down here alma mata Purdue a few years back?

JACKGUYII
02-23-2006, 02:21 AM

I have heard that Minnesota women's coach is in trouble. Some fans and some team members not happy. 4 game losing streak and counting. May be her last year. Who do think they replace her with? *

What do you think?

Pam Borton is not in trouble. That is a totally inacurate statement. She had her team in the final four just 2 years ago. Dan Monson would be in trouble if not for the number of years left on his contract.

JBNJBQ
02-23-2006, 03:32 AM
Pam Borton is not in trouble. That is a totally inacurate statement. She had her team in the final four just 2 years ago. Dan Monson would be in trouble if not for the number of years left on his contract.

How do you know it is totally inaccurate? Because you haven't heard it yet?

She had someone elses team in the final four two years ago just two years after she arrived. Someone else recruited and developed most of those players.

The current team is disappointing compared to the team two years ago. They lost to Wisconsin this week whom the Jackrabbit women beat on their home court before they really started to roll this year. NDSU played them close on their home court. Something is not right.

Purdue may have wanted Amy a while ago but that was when she was flying high in DII. I don't think she wants to rebuild the program again. Besides who wants to live in West Lafeyette Indiana?

Amy knows this area. This area knows her. She will have her pick of any player she wants in Minn & North Dakota without even trying.

Just an opinion......

kchats
02-23-2006, 04:45 AM
Amy turned Minnesota down during the last big flood in Fargo. The community and university helped sand bag her house and she was very thankful and appreciative. She won't be going to Minnesota. NDSU has a better women's basketball reputation than Minnesota does. It's her program at NDSU and she gets all the support she needs. She will get it going and won't be going anywhere.

silkamilkamonico
02-23-2006, 08:53 PM
If you think Ruley is just going to roll over and end up on the couch,
you're smoking some bad shit. *If you've heard her at Teammakers
or saw her after the SDSU game, I think she's on a mission. *The
transition is a lot harder that most of us understand. *I give Coach
Johnson at SDSU a lot of credit for what he's done. *It's going to be
tough until we can get into a conference or can win 20 games and
get into the NIT. *When the point guard went home to Wisc. (she's
now on scholarship at U of Wisc.- Amy told me she would have been
another Woodside) and Amanda Girodat went down, our year was over. *What foodball team could lose 2 QB's and be successful. Give
her some slack, she'll get it done.

True.

Guess we'll find out just how much of a adjusting coach she is.

Like what has been thrown around here oh so much with programs that are struggling, not everyone is a D1 coach.

kchats
02-24-2006, 02:15 AM
Silk, Amy has been offered division I positions in the past. I'm sure she will be just fine. You seem to have something against her with most of your comments. Yes some fans said Bina wasn't a division I coach but most on this board were willing to give her time to get the program going.

silkamilkamonico
02-24-2006, 11:22 PM
Silk, Amy has been offered division I positions in the past. *I'm sure she will be just fine. *You seem to have something against her with most of your comments. *Yes some fans said Bina wasn't a division I coach but most on this board were willing to give her time to get the program going. *

Quite honestly, I may be a little more negative on her just because I'm not a big women's basketball fan. I support them obviously and go to their games, but the last couple of years they have been hard for me to watch for whatever reason.

Now I'm at the point where I actually "struggle" to watch their games.

And yes, I do selfishly admit some of the backlash on her is more directed at the poster's that were hard on Bina, hoping they see that the women's basketball team is struggling too.

I know you can't compare the 2 coaches in terms of success, but some of the adversity Bina was facing this year was completely out of her control. And I didn't appreciate the way some of the Bison volleyball "fans" reacted towards her.

Now here I'm doing it to Ruley. I'm speaking now, and forever holding my peace about this topic.

I promise. :)

sambini
02-25-2006, 03:35 AM
NOW ITS TIME TO END THIS THREAD AND MOVE ON.

OCBison
02-25-2006, 02:08 PM
NOW ITS TIME TO END THIS THREAD AND MOVE ON.

Why are you so afraid of debate on the subject? There certainly have been some valid points.

If you were in favor of the Bison heading to DI you had to know that there was going to be some bloodletting when it came to coaches.

You can't at the same time love the move to DI but hate the immediate pressure that it puts on the coaching staffs to win.

If you love the move to DI you have to be prepared to accept the fact that some coaches are not going to be able to perform at that level and that will need to be replaced or, at the very least, that some people are going to question the ability of the current members to coach at the DI level.

It just comes with the territory.

TaTonka_31
02-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Just looking at the season stats and you see much of Amy's problems this year can be traced to her teams poor shooting. *Looking at one category (3 PT Shooting), Lorenz, Bue, Heintzelman, Sonstelie, Dahlen & Dahlen are a combined 82 for 295 (27.8%). *As a team they were 2 for 24 against Utah Valley.

Contrast this to the mens team with Woodside, Nelson, Winkleman and Hahn combined this year so far is 154 for 360 or 42.7%. *Just absolutely outstanding. *

In todays college basketball, I hate to say it but the number of threes you make vs how many you give up is a big, big stat. *

Shooting practice in the off season by returning players will make a huge difference for Amy's team next year. *How well a team shoots during games is one thing she cannot control. *Amy knows what she is doing. *Lets see how hard her players work in the off season to improve in this weak area.

sambini
02-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Why are you so afraid of debate on the subject? *There certainly have been some valid points.

If you were in favor of the Bison heading to DI you had to know that there was going to be some bloodletting when it came to coaches.

You can't at the same time love the move to DI but hate the immediate pressure that it puts on the coaching staffs to win.

If you love the move to DI you have to be prepared to accept the fact that some coaches are not going to be able to perform at that level and that will need to be replaced or, at the very least, that some people are going to question the ability of the current members to coach at the DI level.

It just comes with the territory.
I'M NOT AFRAID OF ANY MOVE ETC.. THIS THREAD HAS GONE ON LONG ENOUGH. LETS GET THROUGH THIS TRANSITION AND FIND A LEAGUE. I AGREE AMY NEEDS TO RECRUIT A LOT BETTER. SHE IS A FIGHTER AND WILL BE JUST FINE. NOW LETS GET TO TEAMMAKER FUNDRIVE 2006. WHICH STARTS ON THURSDAY. ARE YOU OC BISON A MEMBER? HELP OUT THE CAUSE FOR D1 MOVE .WE NEED EVERYONE ON BOARD.

kchats
02-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Amy had one bad year in the past 27 and it is against the first full division I schedule with less than her full team. Give her some time to recruit players and if she shows she can't and they continue to lose then we can discuss this. I'm betting she will do quite fine getting division I quality players at NDSU. She will probably expand her recruiting territory to assist in this but she will do what it takes. Good news on the conference front will only help all the programs.

SDbison
02-26-2006, 01:12 AM
Amy had one bad year in the past 27 and it is against the first full division I schedule with less than her full team. *Give her some time to recruit players and if she shows she can't and they continue to lose then we can discuss this. *I'm betting she will do quite fine getting division I quality players at NDSU. *She will probably expand her recruiting territory to assist in this but she will do what it takes. *Good news on the conference front will only help all the programs.
Several things going against Amy:
1. Lack of recent conference titles and playoff appearances in DII.
2. Early DI transition recruiting a grade C at best.
3. Continued success at UND and SDSU will hurt recruiting.
4. Loss of Gibbs and Lorenz after this year.
5. To turns things around at this point may take several years.
6. Last, but most important, the BSA remodeled or not isn't good enough to secure the best recruits.

kchats
02-26-2006, 01:44 AM
Final 2004 USA Today/
ESPN/WBCA Top 25 Poll
1.California, Pa.
2.Drury University
3.Seattle Pacific
4.Merrimack College
5.South Dakota State
6.Glenville State
7.Quincy, Ill.
8.North Dakota
9.Rollins College
10.Augusta State
11.Concordia-St. Paul
12.Henderson State
13.NORTH DAKOTA ST.
14.Shaw University
15.Lake Superior State
16.Emporia State
17.Washburn, Kan.

Final 2003 USA Today/
ESPN/WBCA Top 25 Poll
1.South Dakota State
2.Bentley, Mass.
3.Northern Kentucky
4.California, Pa.
5.Cal State-Bakersfield
16.NORTH DAKOTA ST.

Final 2000 USA Today/
WBCA Top 25 Poll
1.Northern Kentucky
2.NORTH DAKOTA ST.
3.St. Rose, NY
4.Delta State, MS
5.Western Washington

They were in the National Championship game in division II in 2000 losing in overtime. They weren't where Bison fans expected them to be after that but they weren't horrible either. Last year they lost 1 game I believe. Let Amy get some division I athletes before you begin criticizing her. The BSA will be a fine arena after renovations from what I have seen of the renderings. I keep hearing how the Bison aren't in the same league as the big conference universities but you all expect them to have a big conference basketball arena. News flash even a new arena won't be what the Gophers or other big conference schools play in. Let's fix the BSA and use that until a new arena is justified for basketball.

Gamehunter
02-26-2006, 01:50 AM
Several things going against Amy:
1. Lack of recent conference titles and playoff appearances in DII.
2. Early DI transition recruiting a grade C at best.
3. Continued success at UND and SDSU will hurt recruiting.
4. Loss of Gibbs and Lorenz after this year.
5. To turns things around at this point may take several years.
6. Last, but most important, the BSA remodeled or not isn't good enough to secure the best recruits.

This is the first time I have posted anything on this thread, and that is because I think it is absolutely rediculous it exists in the first place.

I don't know what Amy has "going against her", but #5 and #6 are definately not accurate. Just look at the men's team. They are shattering everyones expectations in a division that is far more competative than any other sport that a Bison team currently participates in. All of those current starters were recruited in one class. We are talking women's basketball here, there is not nearly the talent difference between divisions as in men's basketball, especially the level NDSU has been used to playing at. Many of the past Bison women's basketball teams could have easily competed in division 1. Amy "should" be able to get the program back to where it was, and where it needs to be within 2 maybe 3 years.
I would say if that doesn't happen, and we are still looking at 10 win seasons, then maybe this kind of a topic can be revisited at that time.