PDA

View Full Version : Defecting Gophers

mn-bison
04-05-2006, 04:58 PM
With all of the Gopher's jumping ship, the gophers may be prime for a Bison win... *

When players leave a school they need to sit out a year if they transfer to another D1 school, correct? *Are there any excemptions they can seek to avoid the year off?

NoDakSt
04-05-2006, 06:19 PM
the only exception that I know of is truly a gross violation on part of the coach. *This goes way more than just disagreement over philosophy and playing time. *

By the way, the count on players leaving the Gophs is up to 4 and one assistant coach has been terminated. Kelly Roysland will be the only senior on the team and it will be interesting to see if she stays or transfers.

sambini
04-05-2006, 06:53 PM
I wonder what will happen with them? Could we see one?

NoDakSt
04-05-2006, 08:07 PM
God...ya need minute by minute updates to keep up these days:

OK...Tasha Williams, a 6'3" post is leaving Minnesota per pam Borton's press conference.

So here is the tally:

5'7" Jr. Brittany Davis - transfer
6'3" Jr. Lauren lacey, - transfer
6'3" Sr, Jamie Broback - quit
6'2" Sr. Liz Podominick - Gopher track
6'3" Jr. Tasha WIlliams - transfer

That's the Gopher's entire post rotation.
Returner are:
1 senior - G Kelly Roysland
no juniors
4 soph. - G/F Katie Ohm, F Ahshley Ellis Milan, G Emily Fox, and redshirt Leslie Knight
3 frosh.

Wow....

I doubt we see anyone.

NoDakSt
04-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Latest word is that Roysland is gone as well. Rumor is she will stay at UM to finish her degree.

Gophers will have 4 sophomores (only one of whom has played) and 3 frosh.

2003-2004. Minnesota was in the Final Four.

MinotBison
04-05-2006, 10:50 PM
For those of us who don't know, what is going on with the women's BB team down there? Why are all the players leaving?

NoDakSt
04-05-2006, 11:27 PM
I don't know if people know for certain (which is really pissing most people off) but things said by players graduating the program, the dressing down that jamie Broback received after the NCAA loss to Washington, and the firing of assistant coach Dave Stromme lead fans to believe that Pam Borton, and maybe higher up, are to blame. Pam is saying that it is all about playing time...which, with 4 players now on the team, sounds pretty stupid. The end of the year banquet, which was open to the public, is now closed....

......it's going to be held in a drive through.

Bryan
04-06-2006, 12:34 AM
"Gophers will have 4 sophomores (only one of whom has played) and 3 frosh. "

Ohm and Ellis-Milan both redshirted so they will be freshman next year so as the team stands right now, and that could change at any moment, they will have one senior, two sophomore's, and 5 freshman.
Losing Williams was the biggest blow so far as she was a very highly rated prospect and had a chance to be pretty good. Fox would really hurt as well. I suppose the good news is that all five freshman are all highly rated and all capable of playing right away, but with the player revolt going on, is there any reason to have confidence that Borton can get the job done. As crazy as it sounds after taking the team to the NCAA's in her first four years, the sweet sixteen the previous three, and the final four just two years ago, could her job be in jeopardy?

BisonMav
04-06-2006, 01:32 AM
Someone on the Gopherhole is speculating Roysland on Thursday and Fox on Friday.
Gopherhole Link (http://p218.ezboard.com/fthehole84398frm8.showMessage?topicID=7675.topic)

roadwarrior
04-06-2006, 02:27 AM
(Copied from an AP story) :

The Minnesota women's basketball team is running out of players.

Sophomore forward Natasha Williams became the latest departure on Wednesday when she was granted a release from her scholarship, the school announced in a news release.

Williams, who averaged 8.2 points and 3.8 rebounds while starting 14 of 29 games, is the fifth player to leave the team since the season ended with a first-round loss in the NCAA tournament.

After center Liz Podominick's decision to quit basketball and focus on her goal of qualifying for the 2008 Olympics in track and field, Borton said Tuesday night that each of the departing players made individual decisions.

But questions are lingering. With six outgoing seniors, Minnesota now has only three players left who stepped on the court this season. Only two of them, guard Kelly Roysland and guard Emily Fox, saw significant playing time.

Jamie Broback, the leading scorer and rebounder who has also chosen to leave, was suspended briefly for an academic matter early in the season and then benched for nearly the entire second half in the Gophers' game against Washington in the tournament.

"It's a challenging time here," coach Pam Borton said Wednesday night. "I'm very confident and believe in the kids that are here. They are getting 100 percent of my focus right now."

BisonBacker
04-06-2006, 04:38 PM
What a mess, no matter the reason its to bad for the players it came to this, I'm sure it's not what they expected when they signed with the U. On the other hand the games with them may prove to be more entertaining and hopefully we can come out with a W next year.