PDA

View Full Version : Ashley Samuelson

NoDakSt
04-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Former Underwood (MN) superstar, 6 ft. Ashley Samuelson, is leaving Colorado State and wants to play for either the Bison or the Sioux. She'll have meetings with Gene and Amy over the next couple of weeks. http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=122621&section=Sports

RedRiver
04-05-2006, 01:08 PM
So the question may be, does she want to sit out a year or play right away?

Bison_Dan
04-05-2006, 01:16 PM

Because she was released from her scholarship at Colorado St. she can play right away - DI or dii.

silkamilkamonico
04-05-2006, 04:58 PM

Because she was released from her scholarship at Colorado St. she can play right away - DI or dii.

Releasing her from her scholarship just means she's allowed to transfer to another school and take a scholarship there to play.

SHe still has to sit out a full 2 winter terms if she transfers to another D1 school.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty positive that she would have to sit at another D1 school.

NoDakSt
04-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Silk, you are correct....if Samuelson goes to a Dvision I shcool, she must sit out a full year.

mikelsch
04-05-2006, 07:05 PM
She had her scholarship pulled by the school (along with 3 other players). This means she is eligible next season, even at another DI school.

roadwarrior
04-05-2006, 09:14 PM
OK. Someone is correct on the answer. Is it Greenie or NoDakSt?

NoDakSt
04-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Hallstrom says that since the agreement wasn't renewed, she would be eligible right away.

NoDakSt
04-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Colorado State is undergoing an equivalent upheaval as the Gophers. 1st year Coach Jen Warden has had 3 players quit in addition to the 4 whose contract was not renewed. one of the players, Casie Shepherd, is a post player from Prior Lake, but she is expected just to stay in Fort COllins and not play.

sambini
04-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Way to be on top of it GREENIE.+++++++++++++++ Now will she become a BISON?

NoDakSt
04-07-2006, 11:37 AM
More on Samuelson and what she went through at Colorado State.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=122800&section=Sports

mikelsch
04-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Signing day is Wed, April 12. Room for 2 more scholarship players for the 2006-2007 season.

Signed: Jill Zaruba, Inger Hodgson, Megan Shea, Jenna Lemnus
Verbal: Emily Moran

Returning players: Amanda Girodat, Katie Dahlen, Kayla Dahlen, Danni Heintzelman, Lisa Bue, Brenda Slyt, Ali Sonstelie, Jerri Penley, Kate Moser (non-scholarship player)

Danielle Ellison won't be returning next season.

NoDakSt
04-07-2006, 09:15 PM
I didn't hear about Ellison not returning...is Giordat a for sure to come back.

lakesbison
04-08-2006, 04:59 AM
was at bar with samuelson's earlier tonite in Underwood......

I really was pushing NDSU and a lot of her friends went to NDSU

remember GRONNER the good volleyball player that changed her name to ROISUM?? * *brady roisum of pelican rapids??

anyways.. she was there. and they are good friends.. so Im sure JENNY is telling her NDSU.

hope it works out.. shes a great talent. and should bring a lot of fans from the lakes area!!..

Plus their family friends with HANNAH DRAXTON'S FAMILY!!>... would be a great way to convince that amazing player to get to NDSU!!!

DIBISON
04-08-2006, 05:39 AM
I hope she becomes a Bison!!

NoDakSt
04-08-2006, 05:03 PM
April 12th begins a signing period...maybe she will forgo her trip to UND and announce.

kchats
04-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Hopefully she still wants to play basketball at the highest level which is division I. If she has lost the desire to play at the highest level she might play elsewhere.

mikelsch
04-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Amanda Girodat will be back, health-permitting.

imported_admin
04-09-2006, 12:07 PM

The best way to ensure that a recruit does not go to NDSU is to commit a recruiting violation by trying to influence recruits or their families. Besides, it's just plain tacky. You have to leave the recruiting up to the coaches.

MplsBison
04-09-2006, 03:36 PM
What are the official rules for that sort of thing?

Are they strictly enforced? Any big name penalties in the news recently?

roadwarrior
04-09-2006, 03:45 PM
What are the official rules for that sort of thing?

The rules are basically "DONT GET INVOLVED"!

MplsBison
04-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Fair enough.

jackrabbit1979
04-09-2006, 05:23 PM

The best way to ensure that a recruit does not go to NDSU is to commit a recruiting violation by trying to influence recruits or their families. Besides, it's just plain tacky. You have to leave the recruiting up to the coaches.

I was wondering when somebody was going to bring this up after the direction this thread had turned....

lakesbison
04-09-2006, 10:55 PM
OH MY GOD>. I saw her FAMILY at a SMALL TOWN BAR.... OH NO.

Call Gene Taylor, Call NCAA.. ill admit it!!

big freakin deal.. you don't think small town folk talk?? are you KIDDING ME?!

grow up.. I hope you are kidding.. else you are the biggest nerds i ever met.. get over it

A town of 775 people... you are bound to run into others... ha ha... hilarious..

tony
04-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Here's a link to the compliance brochure that (I think) all Team Makers got. It's also the one that roadwarrior refers to in another thread:

The short version:

http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=12293&SPID=714&DB_OEM_ID=24 00&ATCLID=119122

All resources:

http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&KEY=&SPID=714&SPSI D=12293

If you have trouble understanding these rules and the consequences of breaking them, it's probably best to err on the side of caution.

silkamilkamonico
04-10-2006, 06:23 PM
OH MY GOD>. I saw her FAMILY at a SMALL TOWN BAR.... OH NO.

Call Gene Taylor, *Call NCAA.. ill admit it!!

big freakin deal.. you don't think small town folk talk?? are you KIDDING ME?!

grow up.. I hope you are kidding.. else you are the biggest nerds i ever met.. *get over it

A town of 775 people... *you are bound to run into others... ha ha... hilarious..

He's not questioning you merely "seeing the family at a SMALL TOWN BAR", he's questioning why you would try and influence the potential recruit, which indeed is a violation and one the footall program was questioned for a few years back by the NCAA I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Seeing a potential recruit and trying to influence their decision even on the slight most isignificant level are 2 completely different situations.

SUCB#27
04-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Where is the line drawn, I mean what if I go back to my hometown and talk to a guy planning to play college football and I tell him how great my experience was here? Is that too much?

silkamilkamonico
04-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Where is the line drawn, I mean what if I go back to my hometown and talk to a guy planning to play college football and I tell him how great my experience was here? Is that too much?

That's a good question.

I interpret the rule like, you may speak of your experience however good/bad it was, but you may not at any time, insinuate a recruiting pitch of any kind to them. Whether it be as something as simple like, "you will have a good experience at NDSU, and you will be surrounded in an amazing atheltic/educational enviroment". I think if you worded a statement like this differently, such as "I had a great experience at NDSU and they provided me an amazing atheltic and educational enviroment", it may be more appropriate.

I would ventrue to say the most simplist rules are broken excessively, but at the same time if it in any way shape, or form gets back to the NCAA, they can, and probably will, investigate it. And that goes in depth to interviewing/questioing everyone from the players and coaches apart of the team now, to whomever was part of the program 10+ years back. They have gone to those lengths before.

The NCAA explanation to Lakeville's claim is,

Q. *Can boosters contact prospects to encourage them to attend NDSU?
A. *NO. *Any such contact could result in the prospect being declared ineligible to participate in athletics at NDSU.

If Lakeville is indeed a booster of some kind he would have violated his responsibilities as a booster member of NDSU.

I don't know how it goes for former players though.

Roy Williams however ripped into the NCAA because of violations he broke repeatedly at KU, where a player of an atheltic program may NEVER, at any time throughout the rest of their life, ever recieve anything from a booster of that college or any faculty that has ever been enrolled at that college. *I do believe it's apart of any contract that anyone signs to a University.

I personally think it's absurd. *A coaching staff/facutly staff, may never, at any point, give a player/or former player a wedding gift, a birthday present, take them out to dinner, or anything pertaining with "gift of any kind" and "give".

Bison7925
04-11-2006, 03:53 AM
It was announced tonight on WDAY that Ashley is going to NDSU and will sit out a year.

NoDakSt
04-11-2006, 04:07 AM
Welcome. Ashley!

NoDakSt
04-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Forum article.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=123269&section=Sports

RedRiver
04-11-2006, 01:04 PM
It was announced tonight on WDAY that Ashley is going to NDSU and will sit out a year.

The sports report also said that she cancelled her planned visit for this week with UND because she made her decision to attend NDSU and that she could appeal the ruling that she must sit out one year.

roadwarrior
04-11-2006, 02:17 PM
The Forum reported that she visited UND last month.

RedRiver
04-11-2006, 02:50 PM
The Forum reported that she visited UND last month.

WDAY TV Sports reported last week when they first covered the story, and also last night when they announced the transfer, that she was going to visit NDSU first (last weekend) and then UND the following week. So I guess she made the decision after she visited NDSU and didn't need to take the "official" visit to UND.

MplsBison
04-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Is there a definitive answer on whether she can play in 06?

RedRiver
04-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Is there a definitive answer on whether she can play in 06?

As reported last night she must sit out a year due to the DI transfer rule. However, she may appeal that decision to the NCAA because of the scholarship issue at Colorado St. However, Ashely said sitting out a year as a redshirt may be beneficial to her. So I guess probably not playing in 06.

silkamilkamonico
04-11-2006, 07:21 PM
I would have figured she would have to sit out a year.

I wonder what the scholarship rule that she wants to appeal is?

I know there are very few exceptions, (i.e. the Baylor bball program incident a few years back), where the kids can transfer and not have to sit out. It is on rare exceptions though.

sambini
04-12-2006, 04:21 PM
WELCOME ASHLEY SAMUELSON TO NDSU.+++++++++++++++++

mn-bison
04-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Are there going to be any other signings today? *How many schollies do the women have to spare? *Was Danielle Ellison a scholarship player?

Not nearly as exciting as the Football signing day, especially with the early signing period...

mikelsch
04-12-2006, 07:29 PM
If Ellison is leaving, then there is room for 1 more scholarship player for the 2006-2007 season. 15 are allowed by NCAA rules. Awhile back, I thought I heard about a potential 6'2" post player from Canada.

Signed: Jill Zaruba, Inger Hodgson, Megan Shea, Jenna Lemnus
Verbaled and should be signing today: Emily Moran, Ashley Samuelson

Returning players: Amanda Girodat, Katie Dahlen, Kayla Dahlen, Danni Heintzelman, Lisa Bue, Brenda Slyt, Ali Sonstelie, Jerri Penley, Kate Moser (non-scholarship player)

This team will be quite different from last season with potentially 8 new players (Girodat included)

sambini
04-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the info GREENIE+++++++++++

buffalobill
04-12-2006, 09:08 PM
:) :) :):)WAC ATTACK IN WOMEN'S BB :) :)

lakesbison
04-17-2006, 04:20 AM
Your WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!

tony
04-17-2006, 11:43 AM
What do you mean, "You're welcome?"

silkamilkamonico
04-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Apparently LakesBison is the sole reason why she decided to commit to NDSU.

::)

lakesbison
04-18-2006, 01:29 AM
ha ha. SILK BABY!!!

or miss gronner-roisum.

Ashley will be great here.. hope she gets outta sitting out... i think she SHOULD!!

after all.. this is girls basketball... not DUKE or Illinois or Florida state

JJ_Penn
04-18-2006, 03:37 AM
lakes bison you're a wanker for that comment...it's not girls basketball...it's women's basketball and why shouldn't she have to sit out...rules... ever heard of them before? Once you're done throwing your "I'm solely responsible for her decision" party wake up and get a clue!!

silkamilkamonico
04-18-2006, 08:19 PM
lakes bison you're a wanker for that comment...it's not girls basketball...it's women's basketball and why shouldn't she have to sit out...rules... ever heard of them before? *Once you're done throwing your "I'm solely responsible for her decision" party wake up and get a clue!! *

They are still in the appeal process but it doesn't even sound like Amy thinks she will win the appeal. Looks like she'll still have to sit out a year.

The players that have won the appeal to have to sit out after a transfer in the past have only done so on more.less extreme circumstances.

The only players that I know of that actually won their appeal are the Baylor players that left the program after the basketball program was in turmoil because of the death of the player by the other and all the violations from the coaching staff.

It even goes to an extreme where, if a player decides to transfer to another team within that same conference, they are not allowed to accept a scholarship.

The Big 10 and the Pac 10 have that rule, and I'm sure others do.

NoDakSt
04-19-2006, 01:01 AM
It's too bad. It would be great to see Ashley and Lisa in the backcourt together (possibly with Inger...who I have to beleive is going to be a very solid point guard). Oh, well...next year.

Bisondad
04-19-2006, 01:03 PM
What I don't understand is that if she just wanted to quit, I can see sitting out, but if they pulled the scholarship, I can't see how they can make her sit out.

NoDakSt
04-19-2006, 03:57 PM
I think the NCAA has a blanket rule of transfers sitting out a year (at minimum) because sometimes the conditions of a player leaving a program are in dispute. Case in point: Penn State. Two years ago, following an NCAA loss, Coach Rene Portland confronted 3 players in the hotel lobby and informed them that they would not be on the team next year. That sounds pretty straight forward. What proceeded next was a convoluted message in which Portland told one of these persons she was free to stay (in fact, Portland would not grant a release until the palyer went to the University's administration) and the university stated that the other two players left of their own volition (all three players transferred out and are sitting out a year). This is probably the worst case example of a she said-she said pissing match. What if the CSU coach said you are free to stay on the team but must do wso without scholarship? It changes the agreement between Samuelson and CSU but is she really being terminated...there can be a huge amount of gray area involved in a change of players status with a team and perhaps that is why the NCAA has these rules across the board.