PDA

View Full Version : Women's 2006-2007 schedule

NoDakSt
08-20-2005, 08:24 PM
"Ruley said NDSU has Idaho State, Arkansas State, San Jose State, the University of Minnesota and Wisconsin-Milwaukee coming to the Bison Sports Arena in 2006-07, so the need for a big draw isn’t as necessary as it once was."

These are all backend games off home and home deals. Having the Gophers come to Fargo will be HUGE as Coach Pam Borton is pulling in top talent from across the Midwest and building a team that annually ranks in the top 16 nationwide. The Bison may also be travelling to Alabama, Middle Tennessee, and Wisconsin Green-Bay.

JBB
08-20-2005, 09:53 PM
Now thats exciting. Beats the heck out of backtracking to DII.

NoDakSt
08-21-2005, 12:11 AM
The only DII schools I would like to see the Bison play are Moorhead State - because it would be good draw for the Dragons and Bentley, just because Barbara Stevens is a legend.

I could see Big 10 schools and Horizon schools coming to Fargo. I'm not sure if Big Sky schools would be as accomodating given that NDSU has been rejected from membership.

roadwarrior
08-21-2005, 12:16 AM
Dont count the Big Sky schools out for basketball games after all, the men are playing Idaho and Idaho State home and home this season and are playing at a tourney at Montana State. The women are playing at a tourney at Montana, and also play Idaho State.

sambini
08-21-2005, 12:45 AM
I think its a great schedules coming up. We don't need Roebuck ever again.

mikelsch
04-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Home games so far
Northern Arizona
UW-Milwaukee
San Jose State
Minnesota
Arkansas State
SDSU
NJ Tech
Utah Valley State
Texas Pan American
Valley City State
Jamestown

sambini
04-29-2006, 01:41 AM
How long before we drop Valley City and Jamestown?

roadwarrior
04-29-2006, 02:04 AM
According to a letter sent out with Teammaker renewals, the women will have 15 home games next season. The schedule was not included. The list above has 11 of them.

Mr._Bill
04-30-2006, 04:33 PM
How long before we drop Valley City and Jamestown?

Even most top flight DI teams play 1-2 non-division game annually. I would expect that NDSU men and women will continue to schedule 1-2 non-divison games. Usually they are done with some connection like coaches, state exposure, etc, etc. As long as the non D1 games are limited to 1-2 per season, I'm OK with this. This is consistent with other schools.

mikelsch
05-01-2006, 03:20 PM
DI teams can schedule up to 4 non-DI games per year. We'll probably see 2-3 per year until we get into a conference - mainly to increase the amount of home games. After that, will probably still see 1 per year to use as a warm-up game (just like football).

roadwarrior
05-01-2006, 07:04 PM
I thought that the number of non D-I teams is less than 4 as the transition to D-I process continues. The max was 2 per year I think in the last two years of the transition.

mikelsch
05-01-2006, 08:02 PM
It's 4. Montana State and McNeese State played 3 last year, and Wofford and the Citadel played 4 for example.

Bisonguy
05-01-2006, 08:13 PM
You both are correct , from the NCAA DI Manual (http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/division_i_manual/2005-06/2005-06_d1_manual.pdf)

20.9.5 *Basketball Scheduling
20.9.5.1 *Men’s Basketball Four-Game Limit. *A member institution may schedule and play not
more than four men’s basketball games in an academic year against institutions that are not mem-
bers of Division I.
20.9.5.1.1 *Two-Game Limit for Provisional Members. *A provisional member shall schedule and
play not more than two men’s basketball games in an academic year against institutions that are
not members of Division I. A provisional member is required to apply scheduling criteria begin-
ning with year two of the provisional process. *(Revised: 1/11/94 effective 9/2/94, 3/10/04)
20.9.5.2 *One-Third of Men’s Contests in Home Arena for Provisional Members. *An active mem-
ber or a provisional member must play at least one-third of its regular-season men’s basketball
contests in the arena regularly used for the institution’s home games. A provisional member is
required to apply scheduling criteria beginning with year two of the provisional process. *(Revised:
1/11/94 effective 9/2/94, 3/10/04)

of *course, here's an additional exception:

17.5.5.3 *Annual Exemptions. *(See Figure 17-6).
17.5.5.3.1 *Certification Not Required. *The following basketball contests each year may be
exempted from a member institution’s maximum number of contests: (Adopted: 1/9/96 effec-
tive 8/1/96)...............
(h) Exhibition against a Non-NCAA Division I Four-Year Collegiate Institution. An exhibition
contest against a four-year collegiate institution (other than an NCAA Division I institu-
tion) played in the arena in which the member institution regularly plays its home con-
tests. In women’s basketball, an institution may play two exhibition contests against a
non-NCAA Division I four-year collegiate institution during any year in which it does not
utilize the exemptions set forth in Bylaw 17.5.5.3.1-(f), 17.5.5.3.1-(g) and 17.5.5.3.1-(i), or
may play one exhibition contest against a non-NCAA Division I four-year collegiate insti-
tution and either one exhibition contest against a “club” member of USA Basketball, one
exhibition contest against a foreign team in the United States or one practice scrimmage
as defined in Bylaw 17.5.5.3.1-(i). *In men’s basketball, an institution may play two exhibi-
tion contests against a non-NCAA Division I four-year collegiate institution during any
year in which it does not use the exemption set forth in Bylaw 17.5.5.3.1-(i), or may play
one exhibition contest against a non-NCAA Division I four-year collegiate institution and
one practice scrimmage as defined in Bylaw 17.5.5.3.1-(i); and(Adopted: 10/28/99 effec-
tive 8/1/00; Revised: 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04 however, institutions may honor contracts
beyond this date provided the contract was signed before October 21, 2003)

So, the NDSU men could have three games against non-DI opponents, and four games for the women, if the max allowed exhibition games are used and not for scrimmages.

and just so we get this out of the way:

20.9.5.4.1.1 *Reclassifying Opponents. *A reclassifying institution shall be counted as a
Division I opponent in the year the reclassifying institution must comply with Division I
scheduling requirements (i.e., year two of the reclassifying process). (Adopted: 4/15/97;
Revised: 4/24/03 effective 8/1/03)

and I thought I would remind everyone about the Divsion I Philosophy:

DIVISION I PHILOSOPHY STATEMENT
In addition to the purposes and fundamental policy of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, as set forth in
Constitution 1, members of Division I support the following principles in the belief that these statements assist in
defining the nature and purposes of the division. These statements are not binding on member institutions but
serve as a guide for the preparation of legislation by the division and for planning and implementation of pro-
grams by institutions and conferences. A member of Division I:
(f) Believes in scheduling its athletics contests primarily with other members of Division I, especially in the
emphasized, spectator-oriented sports, as a reflection of its goal of maintaining an appropriate competitive
level in its sports program;

RodentiaX
05-01-2006, 08:34 PM
http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/rpi1.html

Did some research:

179 D-I teams played at least 1 D-II team.
83 teams played at least 2 D-II teams.
28 teams played at least 3 D-II teams.
10 played at four D-II teams.

17 teams lost to a D-II team.
4 lost to two D-II teams.

RPI Rating | # of teams playing a D-II game.
1-25 4
26-50 12
51-75 14
76-100 10
101-125 7
126-150 13
151-175 14
176-200 19
201-225 14
226-250 15
251-275 15
276-300 20
300-325 15
326-334 7

I might have missed something, or added up numbers wrong. But I would expect that NDSU will play some D-II games for the forseeable future - more than half the teams play at least one D-II game.

sambini
05-04-2006, 02:39 PM
THANKS FOR THE INFO BISONGUY++++++++++++++

roadwarrior
06-29-2006, 06:06 PM
Home games so far:

Nov 19 - Northern Arizona
Dec 8 - Idaho State
Dec 10 - UW-Milwaukee
Dec 14 - Valley City
Dec 18 - San Jose State
Dec 22 - Minnesota
Jan 15 - Jamestown
Jan 20 - Arkansas State
Feb 3 - SDSU
Feb 8 - IPFW
Feb 10 - NJ Tech
Feb 15 - Utah Valley State
Feb 17 - Texas Pan American

mikelsch
06-29-2006, 06:35 PM
I fully realize that NDSU needs an extra couple home games this season, but please no more non-DI games starting with the 2007-2008 season (unless it is an exhibition game). *If NDSU gets into the Mid-Con, it should help solve this problem --- automatic 9 home games per season, and only 5-6 more needed to complete the schedule. *

Mr._Bill
06-29-2006, 11:26 PM
You can find 1-2 non-D1 games (the allowable level) on many D1 schedule. Usually throwing a bone to a DII, III or NAIA school. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

sambini
06-30-2006, 02:07 AM
LOOKING FORWARD TO DEC.22+++++++++++++++

NoDakSt
07-01-2006, 12:39 AM
Hope the Bison Boosters are out for this one in force. Also, perhaps the Fosston Faithful will come out to see Roysland. And hopefully the Bison fans are eager for a Gopher Hunt. This should be a good game.

sambini
07-01-2006, 04:04 AM
I KNOW THE FORMER PRESIDENTS CLUB OF TEAMMAKERS WILL BE THERE IN FORCE. WITH THE MAYOR OF FARGO LEADING THE WAY++++++++++++

RodentiaX
07-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Actually, you're allowed 4 non-DI opponents. It's just that the NCAA limits it to two for a time during transition. I suppose that's the make sure that teams moving up jump fully in the waters of D-I. But there are a lot of D-I teams that play at least one or two D-II teams. Here's a list of teams that played three or more non-DI opponents:

Northwestern State 3
Davidson 3
Sam Houston State 4
Coastal Carolina 4
Northern Arizona 3
Chattanooga 4
Elon 3
S.E. Lousiana 4
Lamar 4
Texas Arlington 4
TAMCC 4
McNeese State 3
N. Texas 3
Furman 3
Charleston S 4
Stephen F Austin 3
Montana St. 3
Troy 3
S. Miss. 3
Alabama A&M 3
Louisiana - Monroe 3
W. Carolina 3
Wofford 4
Liberty 3
VMI 3
Citadel 4
Texas State 3
Texas Pan Am. 3
Savannah State 3

Plus there's 172 D-I teams which played at least one non-DI opponent, so it's pretty much the norm to play at least one.

http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/rpi1.html

Hammersmith
07-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Actually, you're allowed 4 non-DI opponents. It's just that the NCAA limits it to two for a time during transition.
Just a quick point of fact. I am pretty sure that we can play 4 non-D-I games at any point in the reclassification. Some here have confused provisional membership with reclassification. Provisional membership is for schools that are entering the NCAA from another association, and reclassification is for schools that are already in the NCAA but are moving from one division to another.

RodentiaX
07-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Just a quick point of fact. *I am pretty sure that we can play 4 non-D-I games at any point in the reclassification. *Some here have confused provisional membership with reclassification. *Provisional membership is for schools that are entering the NCAA from another association, and reclassification is for schools that are already in the NCAA but are moving from one division to another.

I wasn't clear what the distinction was, thanks. I think a couple D-II games to fill out the non-conference schedule are good. I'm not sure how things tend to be in women's basketball, but in men's basketball, a lot of the big schools play most of their non-conference games at home - Minnesota played only two road non-conference games. A couple D-II games can make the home vs. away games balance out a little better.

roadwarrior
07-03-2006, 10:28 PM
I did see something about the 2 game against non D-I teams, but I am not sure if it was for reclassifying or provisional. Kind of a coincidence that both the men's and women's schedules have 2 each at this point.

kchats
07-03-2006, 11:07 PM
I think the coaches look at it like there are plenty of division I teams out there why schedule a division II team. As we all saw last year there is a huge difference between division II and division I. Amy's team played a mostly division II schedule 2 years ago and lost one game to TCU, a team that made the Women's NCAA Tournament, and last year the Bison were 9-17 playing a full division I schedule. Lots of work to take a great division II program like Amy's and get it running full steam in division I.

roadwarrior
07-04-2006, 12:00 AM
As far as I am concerned, the fewer the better. If we are in the Mid-Con starting with the 07-08 season there will be 18 conference games, so there will not be the big holes to fill in the schedule as there has been the past two years. I can definitely see annual games with Minnesota and WI-Green Bay to name two area competiors.

kchats
07-04-2006, 04:33 AM
Wasn't Tennessee planning on scheduling the Bison as well. There is also Montana and Montana State, Nebraska, Kansas State, Iowa, Iowa State, Wyoming, Kansas, Missouri, Missouri State, Wisconsin, Marquette, Valporaiso etc. Plenty of division I teams I would much rather see on the women's schedule than a division II. We already know that a division II team does nothing to improve the play of the women's team.

CaBisonFan
07-04-2006, 07:20 AM

Thumbs Up

BisonBacker
07-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Now thats exciting. *Beats the heck out of backtracking to DII.

Amen to that. With schools like these coming to Fargo and the talent level they have I don't understand why people are clamoring for the old NCC to make the move. These will be good games to watch and nothing like DII.

BisonBacker
07-04-2006, 11:53 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RodentiaX
07-05-2006, 01:29 PM
If NDSU plays no D-II teams, that likely means playing most of the non-conference games on the road.

mikelsch
07-05-2006, 02:56 PM
If NDSU plays no D-II teams, that likely means playing most of the non-conference games on the road.

Why is that?

There are a ton of mid-major schools out there that NDSU can do a home-and-home with. I know it can be done, because it is being done already. With 9 conference home games, all you need to find is 5 or 6 non-conference opponents to come to Fargo each year to complete the 29 game schedule.

RodentiaX
07-05-2006, 05:26 PM
With the BCS conference teams playing the great majority of non-conference games at home, that leaves a lot of teams scrambling for home non-conference games. Minnesota, for example played only two road non-conference games. That has to be made up for somewhere.

All of the current Mid-Cont teams played at least one D-II opponent, except Chicago State.
Oral Roberts played 1, IUPUI played 2, Valpo played 1, UMKC played 1, Oakland played 2, SUU played 1, Western Illinois played 2 and Centenary played one.

Getting home and home series is fine. But there's a lot of schools that if you schedule them aren't going to give you home and home series. That leaves you deeper in the hole for home games.

Looking at home non-conference games for Mid-Con teams:
ORU 4
IUPUI 4
Valpo 2
UMKC 5
Oakland 5
SUU 3
W. Ill 6
Centenary 4

All of the above teams played at least game against a D-II opponent. It's hard to get D-I home games, a lot of schools supplement their non-conference schedules with one or two D-II teams.

mikelsch
07-05-2006, 07:47 PM
You're right about the BCS schools - it is very hard to get them to come to your place. *Case in point - Tennessee women declined coming to Fargo (even after NDSU offered a HUGE guarantee to play in FargoDome - think Ball State FB game type money) because their home games are so lucrative.

It is also difficult to get the mid-majors to do a home and home, because they are often looking for 'guarantee' games to help with their budgets and to increase their own RPI. *I know that we can get home non-conference mid-major games, because it has been done already.

Scheduling non-DI games in the future will have a lot to do with attendance (because competitively it accomplishes nothing - unless it is an exhibition). *If NDSU draws well for these games, then it is worth scheduling 1-2 per year. *If there is a huge drop in attendance, then don't schedule them and go on the road to play better teams to get guarantee money, increase the RPI, and increase regional/national exposure.

RodentiaX
07-05-2006, 08:18 PM
A D-II game can be beneficial to break up long spells of road games. Helps remind the fans at home that you're still there. ;) It can be draining to play too many road games. I do think there are D-II teams that would provide reasonable crowds. Maybe against one of the better NCC or NSIC teams.

broke_back_mnt
07-05-2006, 11:59 PM
U Mary in Bismarck might be a good game. Instate rival, two largest cities.

sambini
07-06-2006, 12:39 AM
We will see Roebuck again.

mikelsch
07-06-2006, 05:15 AM
U Mary in Bismarck might be a good game. *Instate rival, two largest cities.

Attendance at that game was so-so last year for the men's game (2256) - hard for the casual fan to come to the BSA to watch a blowout. *Instate rival - U Mary, ha ha ha, ya right.

NoDakSt
07-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Article from the Forum on the schedule.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=134633

Amy takes a shot at Big Sky Conference member, Idaho State, who backed out of a home-and-home agreement with the Bison after the Bison played in Pocatello last season.

Fewer road games, fewer wear and tear on the players.

mikelsch
07-28-2006, 07:08 PM
As Kolpack mentioned, the Bison need to increase the buyout penalty to help prevent this type of situation.

Bisonguy
07-28-2006, 07:27 PM
As Kolpack mentioned, the Bison need to increase the buyout penalty to help prevent this type of situation.

Definitely.

valpotx
07-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Wasn't Tennessee planning on scheduling the Bison as well. *There is also Montana and Montana State, Nebraska, Kansas State, Iowa, Iowa State, Wyoming, Kansas, Missouri, Missouri State, Wisconsin, Marquette, Valporaiso etc. *Plenty of division I teams I would much rather see on the women's schedule than a division II. *We already know that a division II team does nothing to improve the play of the women's team.

Wanted to just point out that although our abbreviation is Valpo, the school name is Valparaiso. This is a common mistake, so it doesn't bother me too much. The school decided years ago to go by Valpo instead of Valpa as it sounds much better.

mikelsch
08-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Schedule posted
http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=11923&SPID=698&DB_OEM_ID=24 00&KEY=&Q_SEASON=2006
11 home and 14 road games...only 25 games instead of the allowed 29...don't know if there is more to be announced later

Men's is just being finalized and should be up within the next few days

sambini
08-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Thanks Greenie+++++

mikelsch
08-29-2006, 08:58 PM
- 14 home games (10 DI, 2 non-DI, 2 exhibition); 13 road games
- 1 double-header with the men on Nov 4 (Moorhead State 8 p.m.)

Wed, Nov 01 * Minnesota State Moorhead (Exhibition) *7 p.m.
Sat, Nov 04 * Bemidji State (Exhibition) *6 p.m.
Sat, Nov 11 * at Oral Roberts *2:05 p.m.
Sun, Nov 19 * Northern Arizona *2 p.m.

Montana State/Wingate Thanksgiving Classic at Bozeman, Mont. *
Fri, Nov 24 * U. of Texas-Arlington *5 p.m.
Sat, Nov 25 * Montana State or Cal State Fullerton * 5 or 7:30 p.m.

East Carolina Tournament at Greenville, N.C.
Sat, Dec 02 * East Carolina *3 p.m.
Sun, Dec 03 * Florida State or Fairfield *1 or 3 p.m.

Sun, Dec 10 * UW-Milwaukee *2 p.m.
Thu, Dec 14 * Valley City State *7 p.m.
Mon, Dec 18 * San Jose State *7 p.m.
Fri, Dec 22 * *Minnesota *7 p.m.
Sat, Dec 30 * at Alabama *TBA
Tue, Jan 02 * at Middle Tennessee State *7 p.m.
Tue, Jan 09 * at UW-Green Bay *7 p.m.
Mon, Jan 15 * Jamestown College *7 p.m.
Sat, Jan 20 * Arkansas State *7 p.m.
Thu, Jan 25 * at U. of Texas-Pan American *TBA
Sat, Jan 27 * at Utah Valley State *TBA
Sat, Feb 03 * South Dakota State *7 p.m.
Thu, Feb 08 * IPFW *7 p.m.
Sat, Feb 10 * New Jersey Institute of Technology *7 p.m.
Thu, Feb 15 * Utah Valley State *7 p.m.
Sat, Feb 17 * U. of Texas-Pan American *7 p.m.
Fri, Feb 23 * at South Dakota State *TBA
Thu, Mar 01 * at New Jersey Institute of Technology *6 p.m.
Sat, Mar 03 * at IPFW *1 p.m. *