PDA

View Full Version : Question about the bison...

Mr_Meanor
11-02-2006, 02:27 AM
Whats everyone's opinion on why the womens basketball team has struggled? I personally thinks it due to bad recruiting by Ruley. I think the AD really needs to look into making some changes. I know alot of people are going to say Ruley should be able to coach as long as she wants but if she has another season like last year I think a change needs to be made. If no change is made it could be a long time before we see the women with a good basketball team we are used to.

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2006, 02:42 AM
I think it's the recruiting.

I don't know much about women's basketball, and recruiting, but Katie Lorenz was the last legit recruit that Amy brought in and that was 5 years ago.

I hate to say it, but UND brings quality players in every year still, and I know they haven't had to deal with the tranistion like NDSU has, it still makes me wonder if Amy is getting the girls she wants, or if she thinks she sees something in the ones she brings in and they don't pan out.

Mr_Meanor
11-02-2006, 02:46 AM
I think it's the recruiting.

I don't know much about women's basketball, and recruiting, but Katie Lorenz was the last legit recruit that Amy brought in and that was 5 years ago.

I hate to say it, but UND brings quality players in every year still, and I know they haven't had to deal with the tranistion like NDSU has, it still makes me wonder if Amy is getting the girls she wants, or if she thinks she sees something in the ones she brings in and they don't pan out.

I agree...I think if NDSU has another year or 2 like last year the recruiting could get really grim and the program will drop really fast

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2006, 02:52 AM
Yea I hear ya.

Maybe she should drop the white knee pads rule, and some of the girls will come.

I'm kidding ofcourse, but has the women's team always wore those knee pads? I don't remember the Bison wearing them before.

Does anyone know why they wear the knee pads?

I think it looks lame.

Bisonguy
11-02-2006, 02:58 AM
Yea I hear ya. *

Maybe she should drop the white knee pads rule, and some of the girls will come.

I'm kidding ofcourse, but has the women's team always wore those knee pads? *I don't remember the Bison wearing them before.

I think it looks lame.

I thought it was due to someone (Lorenz??) that injured her knee falling to the court.

Are they now mandatory??

NoDakSt
11-02-2006, 03:01 AM
I think Amy has some quality Division I kids in Samuelson and Walseth. I say quality because these kids were recruited by Division I schools. That may not mean a lot but it seems to be an upgrade from where we were. Granted they are not playing now but they are practicing against the current team everyday.

Rather than looking at what UND brings in, its probably more useful to look at SDSU and what Aaron is doing with that team. It can be argued that they have transitioned more successfully to Division I but he is using quite a few regional kids. So it might not be all recruiting.

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2006, 03:03 AM
Yea I hear ya. *

I'm kidding ofcourse, but has the women's team always wore those knee pads? *I don't remember the Bison wearing them before.

I think it looks lame.

I thought it was due to someone (Lorenz??) that injured her knee falling to the court.

Are they now mandatory??

I don't know and was wondering that myself. The Dragons weren't wearing them, so maybe it's a D1 thing.

Every single NDSU player had them on, so I don't think it was a preference thing, unless all the girls decided too for some sort of team unity.

Maybe Amy did make it a rule to prevent further injury?

GFBisonFan
11-02-2006, 03:06 AM
I think that it is recruiting and the transition period. Now that we are coming out of the transition period and into a solid conference, I would expect recruiting to pick up and the teams to be better, two to three years down the road.

In terms of the school up north, their recruiting has not been hurt yet-wait for the transition and see how well the recruit well. I agree, we have to look toward SDSU and compare to them as they are more similar to us in that regard.

Mr_Meanor
11-02-2006, 03:12 AM
I agree that joining the mid-con should only help with recruiting but we have not done well that last few years in that department.

Bisonguy
11-02-2006, 03:14 AM
Amy stated previously that she was going to start recruiting Detroit and Indianapolis. The Mid-Con should help with that.

Ivy
11-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Is recruiting really done by Amy? I think that the inital contact is made by the assistant coaches. Who are these assistant coaches? To me, their bios are not very impressive. Maybe they are part of the problem. If the athlete is a BIG recruit, Amy probably gets involved.

Coach_W
11-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Amy has always recruited the regional kids with great success. Problem, not as many kids in the region anymore. Tell me how this team from the early 90's would do today; Nadine Schmidt, Lynette Mund, Darci Steer, Lori Roufs, and Jackie Parsley, and Rachael Otto coming off the bench.

I'll tell you how'd they do; they would win 22-25 games. We had studs all over north dakota and western minnesota then. Not as many good ones around anymore. The team listed above would beat the 5 kids Amy ran out there last night by 40.

As far as administration making a change; no way. She leaves on her terms and when she wants. There are 5 banners hanging in that fieldhouse and she deserves all the credit for it. There should never be a change forced by administration.

tony
11-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Yea I hear ya. *

I think it looks lame.

It was an exhibition game... maybe that's why they wearing the knee pads.

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Yea I hear ya. *

I think it looks lame.

It was an exhibition game... maybe that's why they wearing the knee pads.

They wore knee pads every game last year too. There are reports of other announcers saying how we look like a "division 2" team. They weren't wearing knee pads 4-5 years ago.

mikelsch
11-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Recruiting must improve --- of course the jury is still out on the current freshmen, the 2007 recruits, and the transfers this year.

It was only one exhibition game, but geez --- that was UGLY last night. I was really disappointed.

Mr_Meanor
11-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Amy has always recruited the regional kids with great success. *Problem, not as many kids in the region anymore. *Tell me how this team from the early 90's would do today; Nadine Schmidt, Lynette Mund, Darci Steer, Lori Roufs, and Jackie Parsley, and Rachael Otto coming off the bench. *

I'll tell you how'd they do; they would win 22-25 games. *We had studs all over north dakota and western minnesota then. *Not as many good ones around anymore. *The team listed above would beat the 5 kids Amy ran out there last night by 40.

As far as administration making a change; no way. *She leaves on her terms and when she wants. *There are 5 banners hanging in that fieldhouse and she deserves all the credit for it. *There should never be a change forced by administration.

Why should she get the leave on her own terms...if she is running the program into the groud something would need to be done by the AD. If she has another season like last year she needs to go. NDSU cannot allow this program to be run into the ground.

NoDakSt
11-02-2006, 04:27 PM
I didn't think they would get rid of Bina but they did.

My thoughts....nobody will change coaches before NDSU gets into conference play next year.

Coach_W
11-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Amy has always recruited the regional kids with great success. *Problem, not as many kids in the region anymore. *Tell me how this team from the early 90's would do today; Nadine Schmidt, Lynette Mund, Darci Steer, Lori Roufs, and Jackie Parsley, and Rachael Otto coming off the bench. *

I'll tell you how'd they do; they would win 22-25 games. *We had studs all over north dakota and western minnesota then. *Not as many good ones around anymore. *The team listed above would beat the 5 kids Amy ran out there last night by 40.

As far as administration making a change; no way. *She leaves on her terms and when she wants. *There are 5 banners hanging in that fieldhouse and she deserves all the credit for it. *There should never be a change forced by administration.

Running the program into the ground? Are you serious? You are now a DI program. All she has to change is recruiting scope and she'll win.

But remember this. Your days of 30 wins are over. Your days of national titles are over. I don't care what conference you're in for bball, mens or womens, making the tournament is all the higher your goals get to be. You went DI to win football titles not bball titles.

Amy is as good as any coach you'll find anywhere. She needs to adjust her recruiting, that's it. Loyalty needs to be worth something, even at NDSU (George Ellis).

I also believe Bina was glad to be fired. she hated the DI move from the beginning.

Why should she get the leave on her own terms...if she is running the program into the groud something would need to be done by the AD. *If she has another season like last year she needs to go. *NDSU cannot allow this program to be run into the ground.

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2006, 06:32 PM
I also believe Bina was glad to be fired. *she hated the DI move from the beginning.

Whomever made this statement couldn't be further from the truth, and apparently knows absolutely nothing about the situation and how it unraveled.

BisonBacker
11-02-2006, 08:03 PM
It's going to be a long year for the ladies.

roadwarrior
11-02-2006, 09:14 PM
I thought that Amy had stated that not having playoff possibilities really hurt her recruiting for the past couple of years. That is almost behind us now and girls being recruited now have conference and playoff possibilities all spelled out.

I did not see the game last night, but I am pretty sure that getting a victory was not as important as seeing who plays well with other team members. There are a lot of new players on the team this season and it may take a bit to get them played well as a team.

With the number of verbal commitments already for next year, I think that the recruiting of quality players has turned the corner. I guess we will see when they arrive.

mikelsch
11-02-2006, 09:21 PM
The no playoff issue certainly hasn't hurt the Jacks

kchats
11-03-2006, 04:00 AM
Do the current teams work as hard as the great teams of the early to mid 90's? I hear all the time about how the football team worked hard on conditioning and strength all summer. I also heard about the men's basketball team doing similar things and playing basketball. I never hear anything about a hard working women's basketball team anymore.

I was very disappointed in the result and even more disappointed after reading the story. Division I athletes should dominate division II athletes in an exhibition environment. Teams with more talent should win the game. The Bison didn't even sound like they were ever in the game and it was a HOME game.

I really respect Amy but if a change has to be made to get the team playing division I basketball well maybe that is what is needed. Embarrassing and not a good way to improve recruiting or fan support to lose to a poor division II team.

True_Fan
11-05-2006, 03:03 PM
I guess I have no idea how hard the teams of the 90's worked, but I know for a fact that these girls work hard during the summer. *Why would you assume that the women aren't doing the same things the men are, they have the same strength coach. *The women are there the same 4 days of the week during the summer that the men are. *They also scrimmage during the summer and in the off season. *Do you think Coach Ruley would just let them take the summer off? *Every team might have a player or two who doesn't put in their full effort, but give credit to these girls...I think it's be interesting for a lot of people out there to see what they go through in a week during the summer or the weeks leading up to pre-season.

silkamilkamonico
11-05-2006, 07:25 PM
I guess I have no idea how hard the teams of the 90's worked, but I know for a fact that these girls work hard during the summer. *Why would you assume that the women aren't doing the same things the men are, they have the same strength coach. *The women are there the same 4 days of the week during the summer that the men are. *They also scrimmage during the summer and in the off season. *Do you think Coach Ruley would just let them take the summer off? *Every team might have a player or two who doesn't put in their full effort, but give credit to these girls...I think it's be interesting for a lot of people out there to see what they go through in a week during the summer or the weeks leading up to pre-season.

Well, it's good to know that they worked hard and put alot of time into the program this summer.

With that being said, and with how the girls are playing right now, maybe it's safe to revert back to the opinion of, they just aren't very talented.

Against Bemidji State, the difference in talent between the players on the floor from both teams was virtually non existent.

In fact, the best player on the floor from both teams was the little point guard from Bemidji State. The Bison had absolutely no answer for her quickness on the floor, and they had no player on the bench that could keep up with her.