PDA

View Full Version : Exhibition #1: Minnesota State Moorhead

NoDakSt
09-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Dragons are the exhibition test for the Bison. Last year, the Dragons went 16-15 and 7-7 in conference play. They return all their big weapons including 6-1 Allison Swenson who led the Gophers in scoting with 14.4 ppg. Also returning is 5-11 F Jessica Truatwein out of Fargo who was the tean's top rebounder.

NDSU beat the Dragons last year, 83-68, outrebounding their neighbors by 15.

SirHinn
09-22-2006, 09:14 PM
You mean Dragons not Gophers. Also, the Dragons return their all conference player who had to sit out last season due to a torn ACL in Jessica Fesenmaier. Should be an entertaining game. I expect NDSU to win, but don't expect the low post to be as dominated by NDSU as it was last year.

sambini
09-23-2006, 06:26 AM
Bring on the competion+++++++++

NoDakSt
10-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Only days away from the MS-Moorhead opener and the debut of the new Bison. Amy has indicated that Emily Moran and Lisa Bue have nailed down starting spots. I'm gonna guess that Heintzelman, Sonstelie, and Kay Dahlen will fill out the line-up just based on experience. Haven't heard if Walseth is NCAA-OK-to-play as of yet, maybe the Forum will have a story. I figure that Giordat probably won't be a go so Hodgson may see playing time at the point in back up for Moran. Slyt and Kat Dahlem will probably round out the backcourt while Lemnus and Penley may fill out the post. I think this game will be close as well with the Bison winning but with Amy trying to get players game experience.

Coach_W
10-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Not sure Amy has a DI lineup this year. Dragons may get them.

BisonSig
10-31-2006, 12:49 PM
If the Dragons beat the Bison, that would be a huge surprise. A mediocre DII team versus the Bison, the Bison should win every time.

NoDakSt
10-31-2006, 01:09 PM
Sounds like Walseth will join Samuelson in wearing the RED SHIRT this season.

MS-Moorhead returns players very familiar with one another and that is a big advantage. Bison have a core group coming back in the Dahlens, Sonstelie, Heintzelman, Slyt and Bue but the point guard position is probably going to be adjusting to a different level of play, unless Giordat plays and she really hasn't played much over the past two years. I think the Bison should win but Amy may also use this game to get people experience.

smalltownbison
10-31-2006, 04:19 PM
I think that this game will not be close... even if younger players are put in for experience. *The girls with experience will keep them out of reach. *Plus, our newcomers are more than likely more talented than moorhead's.

Coach_W
10-31-2006, 06:39 PM
You are making alot of assumptions.

SU hasn't recruited that much differently than when they were DII. Look at their roster compared to Moorhead and UND. There isn't much difference.

NoDakSt
10-31-2006, 06:55 PM

SU hasn't recruited that much differently than when they were DII. *Look at their roster compared to Moorhead and UND. *There isn't much difference.

Can you please define this? What should the roster of a DI team look like relative to a DII team? More big city kids? More kids from outside the tri-state area?

From a What It's Worth persepctive, Amy currently has 3 kids on her roster that have Division I experience at other universities (Lemnus, Samuelsen, and Walseth). Granted, two of these players are not eligible this season and the other player did not play alot, but they were still recruited above the DII level. Next year, with the arrival of Wilka, Amy will have two players who achieved High School All America Honorable mention. I don;t want to get up in pre-season merit because the game is played on the court, but I think Amy has upped her recruiting.

mikelsch
10-31-2006, 10:15 PM
This year's team will be improved from last year, but still not quite there. *

I don't expect major improvements until next season when the significant infusion of talent is present. *This year's transfers, new freshman this season, and recruits coming in next year will complement the current players very well. *

Nonetheless, Bison will crunch Moorhead on Wednesday

Ivy
11-01-2006, 12:54 AM
Exhibition games don't mean much. I would guess everyone will get lots of playing time. Interested to see what the newcomers can do. I hope some of them are exciting players because WBB was down right boring last year.

Coach_W
11-01-2006, 01:21 AM

SU hasn't recruited that much differently than when they were DII. Look at their roster compared to Moorhead and UND. There isn't much difference.

Can you please define this? What should the roster of a DI team look like relative to a DII team? More big city kids? More kids from outside the tri-state area?

From a What It's Worth persepctive, Amy currently has 3 kids on her roster that have Division I experience at other universities (Lemnus, Samuelsen, and Walseth). Granted, two of these players are not eligible this season and the other player did not play alot, but they were still recruited above the DII level. Next year, with the arrival of Wilka, Amy will have two players who achieved High School All America Honorable mention. I don;t want to get up in pre-season merit because the game is played on the court, but I think Amy has upped her recruiting.

I don't want to start an arguement but look at who you project as starters? Most if not all are from the area. That's what they won with in DII; that's what UND wins with in DII. IF you are going to be a very good DI team, you need out of state players. YOu have to recruit more nationally.

MIles has almost all Minnesota players right now but that's because there have been some great recruits nearby in the last couple years. Still, he's good, not great. There is a difference and SU women haven't tried to change yet. Only my opinion, not trying to argue.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-01-2006, 01:29 AM

SU hasn't recruited that much differently than when they were DII. *Look at their roster compared to Moorhead and UND. *There isn't much difference.

Can you please define this? *What should the roster of a DI team look like relative to a DII team? *More big city kids? *More kids from outside the tri-state area?

From a What It's Worth persepctive, Amy currently has 3 kids on her roster that have Division I experience at other universities (Lemnus, Samuelsen, and Walseth). *Granted, two of these players are not eligible this season and the other player did not play alot, but they were still recruited above the DII level. *Next year, with the arrival of Wilka, Amy will have two players who achieved High School All America Honorable mention. *I don;t want to get up in pre-season merit because the game is played on the court, but I think Amy has upped her recruiting.

I don't want to start an arguement but look at who you project as starters? *Most if not all are from the area. *That's what they won with in DII; that's what UND wins with in DII. *IF you are going to be a very good DI team, you need out of state players. *YOu have to recruit more nationally.

MIles has almost all Minnesota players right now but that's because there have been some great recruits nearby in the last couple years. *Still, he's good, not great. *There is a difference and SU women haven't tried to change yet. *Only my opinion, not trying to argue.

I disagree--the Gophers competed with local girls----Iowa State had Minnesota/ND kids--there are plenty of great kids in the Upper Midwest to field a very competetive WOMEN"S team

sambini
11-01-2006, 03:03 AM
++++++++++++++++

Coach_W
11-01-2006, 06:03 PM

Can you please define this? *What should the roster of a DI team look like relative to a DII team? *More big city kids? *More kids from outside the tri-state area?

From a What It's Worth persepctive, Amy currently has 3 kids on her roster that have Division I experience at other universities (Lemnus, Samuelsen, and Walseth). *Granted, two of these players are not eligible this season and the other player did not play alot, but they were still recruited above the DII level. *Next year, with the arrival of Wilka, Amy will have two players who achieved High School All America Honorable mention. *I don;t want to get up in pre-season merit because the game is played on the court, but I think Amy has upped her recruiting.

I don't want to start an arguement but look at who you project as starters? *Most if not all are from the area. *That's what they won with in DII; that's what UND wins with in DII. *IF you are going to be a very good DI team, you need out of state players. *YOu have to recruit more nationally.

MIles has almost all Minnesota players right now but that's because there have been some great recruits nearby in the last couple years. *Still, he's good, not great. *There is a difference and SU women haven't tried to change yet. *Only my opinion, not trying to argue.

I disagree--the Gophers competed with local girls----Iowa State had Minnesota/ND kids--there are plenty of great kids in the Upper Midwest to field a very competetive WOMEN"S team

Upper midwest, yes, I agree. Climax, MN and East Grand Forks, MN? no I don't agree. Not at the DI level

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Lets see how about a Minnesota High School Girl all star Team....................

Lindsey Whalen
Kelly Miller
CoCo Miller
Angie Welle
Megan Taylor
Kelly Roysland
Kelly Skalicky
Chari Nordgaard
Liz Pozdomnick
Schonrock
Lieser etc... I can go on --if anyone else wants to add. These girls have proven they can play at highest level---all Minnesotans

Coach_W
11-02-2006, 12:07 AM
You're missing my point. The elite over 25 years can play anywhere, I get that. Kelly Skalicky? That is old school, no doubt.

Look at the roster TODAY. Those are Whalen, Podomonick(who quit), etc. Amy needs to sign those kids, then they will compete, no doubt. She is a top 5 coach of all time at any level. MY POINT, she isn't signing those type of players.

NoDakSt
11-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Bison trail Dragons 16-11 early.

NoDakSt
11-02-2006, 12:37 AM
With 8 minutes left in the half, Bison tie the game at 16. Brenda Slyt has 9 points and 3 boards.

NoDakSt
11-02-2006, 12:44 AM
4 minutes in the half and Dragons have opened up a 5 point lead.

lakesbison
11-02-2006, 01:13 AM
keep up the blogging...

any fans there??

NoDakSt
11-02-2006, 01:21 AM
Bison trailing by 7 in the second half. Brenda Slyt is leading the charge for the Bison with 13 points and 5 boards, tops in both categories.

NoDakSt
11-02-2006, 01:26 AM
I'm getting info by livestats...no report of attendance numbers.

NoDakSt
11-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Bison starters were Bue, Kat Dahlen, Emily Moran, Sonstelie, and Penley. That group is going 6 for 27. Yikes.

Bison now down by 10 with 9:13 left.

NoDakSt
11-02-2006, 01:39 AM
At 7 minute mark, Bison trail 51-41.

NoDakSt
11-02-2006, 01:44 AM
Just under 4 minutes left and Bison trail by 14.

NoDakSt
11-02-2006, 01:54 AM
Coach W may be on to something...this is not a good Bison team. This team is going to struggle a lot this year.

When your starting backcourt is 4 for 20 it makes for a dim prognosis. THis Bison team forced 27 TOs but was anemic from the field and gave up 8 three point shots.

Amy has a lot of work ahead.

NoDakSt
11-02-2006, 01:58 AM
Final: Dragons 63, Bison 52 and the Bison had to make a late push to make it so.

Brenda Slyt was the lone bright spot coming off the bench to score 16 points, 6 boards, and garner 3 steals...all team leading numbers.

Jerri Penly had the best numbers in the post with 8 points and 5 boards.

Zaruba, Hodgson, Shea, Popovici and Sanden didn't get much playing time if any.

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2006, 02:08 AM
Just got back from the game.

Bison should have lost by 20+.

This is the worst Bison team I've seen in 20 years from an athletic standpoint. Either that or the dragons are ultra-awesome D2 team.

I think this is going to be an extremely long year for NDSU this year, and unless Coach Ruley has one of her best years from a coaching standpoint, I would be surprised if we win 10 games all year.

They are not fun to watch at all.

:-/

sambini
11-02-2006, 02:13 AM
hmmm not a good start.

NoDakSt
11-02-2006, 02:16 AM
Was the offense stagnant? Did they just get pushed around? Poor decision making?

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2006, 02:27 AM
Was the offense stagnant? *Did they just get pushed around? Poor decision making?

Staganant. Not very crisp with their ball movement. MSU was alot quicker then us, and seemed to be a little more aggressive. I didn't see any set plays run from NDSU. It was kind of like watching gym ball.

We got dominated inside earlier, and then actually reversed that towards the end so that was a good sign, but it could also be the Dragons were up so far and had a small lineup out on the court and was just trying to run clock.

NDSU doesn't have alot of players that move very well.

Slyt is slow and somewhat clumsy, Penley inside doesn't seem to do much offensively, I don't know what's happened to Hientzelman. She had a good freshman year and it doesn't seem like she's got much better since.

That Emily Moran is a good little player, and the Dahlen twins are blue collar workers who do the dirty stuff but aren't going to score alot of points.

There was nothing set from a cohesive standpoint, and it almost looked like the coaching staff was subbing players in and out to try and find some chemsitry.

Maybe the loss was magnified tonight due to the fact that we don't have any kind of set lineup, but they just didn't look very good. They didn't look athletic at all, and there either aren't alot of good shooters on the team, or they were way off tonight.

Moran was definetely a bright spot.

lakesbison
11-02-2006, 02:45 AM
Scott. .9pm FOX TV. " NDSU MIGHT.. MIGHT win 4-5 games this year"

scott knows basketball very well from IOWA, so Ill believe him after I saw those hi lites

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2006, 02:53 AM
Scott. .9pm FOX TV. " NDSU MIGHT.. MIGHT win 4-5 games this year"

scott knows basketball very well from IOWA, so Ill believe him after I saw those hi lites

Good. Then I wasn't just seeing things. They really were struggling out there against D2 MSU-Moorhead.

NoDakSt
11-02-2006, 03:26 AM
That was said on the air.....OUch....that seems harsh...

If I was a player and I heard that......

NDSUstudent
11-02-2006, 03:35 AM
That was said on the air.....OUch....that seems harsh...

If I was a player and I heard that......

I agree this was just an exhibition game, I don't think anyone should be making 4-5 win season predictions yet but this is definately a cause for concern.

TheDoctor
11-02-2006, 03:37 AM
It stayed around 10 points most of the night. We'd make a run to get within two or tie and then boom right back to 10 points. Unfortunately the better team was definitely the Dragons. They boxed out well and controlled the boards on both ends. They even broke our press consistently with ease. I was definitely shocked.

land_grant_bison
11-02-2006, 06:23 AM
I was at the game as well and they didn't look very impressive or entertaining. As stated before the highlight player was emily moran; she was the only one who seemed to play athletically and she played the point quite well. I did notice that she had her hand taped and hopefully once the thumb heals she'll be able to "stroke the jay." But as for the teams apparent lack of quickness/heart/motivation/agility I think that they should get rid of those stupid knee pads. They look completely ridiculous and even though they wear them to protect their knees they don't (tonight at least) really seem to dive for balls anyways; they just inhibit their agility. Also it seemed as if the players were unwilling to slow the game down offensively; every possesion they forced poor/low percentage shots. I hope that they just had an "off" night but all of this doesn't matter.....I'm still going to attend the games and support the team because these girls deserve a crowd with the amount of work student athletes put into their skill.

NoDakSt
11-02-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm inferring many things after reading the Forum, but it sounds like Amy realizes that with this team, it will take baby steps:

I'll take a clumsy Slyt who can give us 16 points and I think it bodes well for the team that Moran is a capable point. And the Forum article says that defensively, this team created quite a few turnovers. There seems to be a few players who don't play with heart or maybe the skill level isn't there with players especially among the ranks of the juniors and seniors. That Amy didn't play the younger kids is interesting but maybe she is giving them time to assimilate the game.

Coach_W
11-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Bottom line..........................Amy needs better players.

On coaching alone she'll win more than 4 or 5 games. Don't worry about that.

NDSUFREAK10
11-02-2006, 11:04 PM
we need better players. the women have found it very tough to transfer to D1

The_Sicatoka
11-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Folks, MSU-Moorhead is an unranked DII. Ouch.

http://www.fightingsioux.com/sports/wbball/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=5252

kchats
11-03-2006, 03:50 AM
I have a ton of respect for Amy Ruley and have defended her throughout last season. When I read in today's paper that they had lost to Moorhead State I was embarrassed and after reading the article it made it even worse. They were outplayed by a poor division II team. As a division I team you should at least have an advantage in athletic ability and it doesn't sound like they did. Maybe Amy's system just isn't cut out for division I women's basketball. After watching the quick turnaround of the volleyball team with the hiring of an assitant coach from a successful and stable division I program it makes me wonder if NDSU's womens team wouldn't benefit with a shot of new blood. Amy's a Hall of Fame coach but she obviously is struggling recruiting division I players.

Tell me I'm wrong but losing to Moorhead State even in an exhibition game is embarrassing and shouldn't happen.

silkamilkamonico
11-03-2006, 06:26 AM
They just need to work some kinks out of their system. *Half the team has never played together... they need some time to gel. *And once that happens.... look out! *

Hopefully they can work the kinks out soon, because they won't win any games on their talent alone.

Teams are only going to get much harder, and much more talented then MSU-Moorhead as the season moves along.

Coach_W
11-03-2006, 12:23 PM
You guys are all going to be jumping on the band wagon when they get their act together and start winning. As far as Slyt being clumsy, I disagree. She's the only one that kept them in the game offensively. All the posts played good defense and worked hard except Heintzelman. There were a lot of miscommunications with her on defense. As far the kids from East Grand Forks and Climax... did you forget who kept them in the gophers game last year? And you think they can't compete at the D-I level? Furthermore, how is a North Dakota school supposed to recruit players that aren't from small towns? It's not like we're in the middle of a metropolis. I'm glad that the bison have one rough game and they have no support system. Aren't fans supposed to be more loyal and supportive to their team? I was at the game and there was hardly anybody there, and those that were there were silent. What kind of an atmosphere is that to play in? They just need to work some kinks out of their system. Half the team has never played together... they need some time to gel. And once that happens.... look out! ::)
p.s. coach w: i would love some insight into what makes you an expert on women's basketball.
>:(

No Problem. Coached for almost 20 years at the high school, junior college, NAIA (womens), and NCAA DII (womens) level. Have been around the state of No. Dak. all my life, watched SU and UND up close since the late 80's. I have 3 daughters, 1 who is playing college basketball, another playing H.S. basketball, and a 12 year old who absolutely loves the game and will be a high school player someday. I have won over 200 games (more than I've lost), and am lucky enough to call alot of coaches in the state of N.D. my friend, high school as well as college.

Besides that, I have no qualifications to form any opinion whats so ever. How about you?

mebison
11-03-2006, 01:56 PM
No Problem. *Coached for almost 20 years at the high school, junior college, NAIA (womens), and NCAA DII (womens) level. *Have been around the state of No. Dak. all my life, watched SU and UND up close since the late 80's. *I have 3 daughters, 1 who is playing college basketball, another playing H.S. basketball, and a 12 year old who absolutely loves the game and will be a high school player someday. *I have won over 200 games (more than I've lost), and am lucky enough to call alot of coaches in the state of N.D. my friend, high school as well as college. *

Besides that, I have no qualifications to form any opinion whats so ever. *How about you?

Well, that sounds good enough to me...

Let's hope Amy can pull an SDSU (you know, like their football team) and show some good stuff down the road.

gobison1
11-03-2006, 08:10 PM
You guys are all going to be jumping on the band wagon when they get their act together and start winning. As far as Slyt being clumsy, I disagree. She's the only one that kept them in the game offensively. All the posts played good defense and worked hard except Heintzelman. *There were a lot of miscommunications with her on defense. *As far the kids from East Grand Forks and Climax... did you forget who kept them in the gophers game last year? And you think they can't compete at the D-I level? *Furthermore, how is a North Dakota school supposed to recruit players that aren't from small towns? *It's not like we're in the middle of a metropolis. *I'm glad that the bison have one rough game and they have no support system. *Aren't fans supposed to be more loyal and supportive to their team? *I was at the game and there was hardly anybody there, and those that were there were silent. *What kind of an atmosphere is that to play in? *They just need to work some kinks out of their system. *Half the team has never played together... they need some time to gel. *And once that happens.... look out! *::)
p.s. coach w: i would love some insight into what makes you an expert on women's basketball. *>:(

Well I would say that it is pretty obvious that you are posting on here trying to put in plugs for your favorite players. I was at the game and after watching all of the posts play I would say that other than Slyt none of them played up to their ability. I did not see a lack of effort from any of the posts or any of the players for that matter. All I saw was poor coaching and a lot of standing around wondering what play was suppose to be run. Amy is a great coach and has proven that over the years but after watching her on Wednesday night I was not impressed. The Bison not only got outplayed as far as shooting % goes but I thought they were outcoached big time. If we expect to compete at the D-1 level in the Mid-Con we better step it up as a team and as a coaching staff.

TheDoctor
11-03-2006, 08:30 PM
You guys are all going to be jumping on the band wagon when they get their act together and start winning. As far as Slyt being clumsy, I disagree. She's the only one that kept them in the game offensively. All the posts played good defense and worked hard except Heintzelman. *There were a lot of miscommunications with her on defense. *As far the kids from East Grand Forks and Climax... did you forget who kept them in the gophers game last year? And you think they can't compete at the D-I level? *Furthermore, how is a North Dakota school supposed to recruit players that aren't from small towns? *It's not like we're in the middle of a metropolis. *I'm glad that the bison have one rough game and they have no support system. *Aren't fans supposed to be more loyal and supportive to their team? *I was at the game and there was hardly anybody there, and those that were there were silent. *What kind of an atmosphere is that to play in? *They just need to work some kinks out of their system. *Half the team has never played together... they need some time to gel. *And once that happens.... look out! *::)
p.s. coach w: i would love some insight into what makes you an expert on women's basketball.
>:(

No Problem. *Coached for almost 20 years at the high school, junior college, NAIA (womens), and NCAA DII (womens) level. *Have been around the state of No. Dak. all my life, watched SU and UND up close since the late 80's. *I have 3 daughters, 1 who is playing college basketball, another playing H.S. basketball, and a 12 year old who absolutely loves the game and will be a high school player someday. *I have won over 200 games (more than I've lost), and am lucky enough to call alot of coaches in the state of N.D. my friend, high school as well as college. *

Besides that, I have no qualifications to form any opinion whats so ever. *How about you?

So, whats going to be your answer to the "How about you?" question Small Town? Is the answer that you are currently playing for the Bison? ;)

Coach W- if you are such an expert and a great coach, you would have realized Small Town's defensive response to your post was that of a hard working player who took exception to your harsh assessment of the fact that you don't believe she is good enough to play for the Bison. I think we need to remember that the players read these boards and occasionally "anonymously" post on the board as well. Lets let it go. Keep working hard ladies, you'll be fine.

P.S.- Don't ask me how I know she is a player, just trust me. :) I've never lied to you guys before (Woody's hand).

smalltownbison
11-04-2006, 03:33 AM
No I do not play for the bison. However, I have played against and know some of these girls from high school. I felt like somebody needed to stick up for them. It's true that they're not at the level they need to be, but they still deserve some respect. Instead of pointing out all the negatives, why can't we focus on positives? First off, Heintzelman is not a bad defensive player, but she can and has done better. As far as D-I athletes go, Lemnus is also a legit recruit. Don't forget that a lot of these girls were recruited by big D-I schools, but probably wanted to stay close to home. Lisa Bue is probably our best all-around D-I athlete.
Coach W: I don't have nearly as much experience as you, I've only played high school ball, but I think "B1SON" has a point with your harsh assessments.

Ivy
11-04-2006, 03:40 AM
Instead of pointing out all the negatives, why can't we focus on positives?

I was at the game, and I'm sorry, but there were just many more negatives. *Hard to even notice any positives. *

D-I Athletes don't need to have anyone stick up for them. *Either you get it done or you don't....the Bison didn't get it done on Wednesday.

sambini
11-04-2006, 04:12 AM
Coach W ARE YOU FROM BEACH?

ndbisonfan
11-04-2006, 05:45 AM
After reading through a majority of the postings it seems like a lot of people are focusing there attention on the coaching staff's lack of recruiting talent. As far as monday night goes, I don't think it was as much a lack of talent as it was a lack of effort. Lets hope there is more effort for the next game, and all of the games following.
Granted it was an aweful game to sit through, but I don't think that it's the "tell all" for how the whole season is going to go. Good teams lose basketball games games and there are upsets all the time. That's what makes basketball such a great sport.
I'm sure no one has forgotton about the men's win against Wisconsin last year. If we want to get technical in comparing DI athletes, Wisconsin should have crushed us. Probably not the best comparison, but I'm sure everyone gets the point.
I agree that the women not only should have won, but should have crushed MSUM. That obviously didn't happen. One bad game isn't going to make or break the season. Lets hope the the coaches can get the team together and clicking on all cylinders ASAP.

TheDoctor
11-04-2006, 05:57 AM
No I do not play for the bison. *However, I have played against and know some of these girls from high school. *I felt like somebody needed to stick up for them. *It's true that they're not at the level they need to be, but they still deserve some respect. Instead of pointing out all the negatives, why can't we focus on positives? First off, Heintzelman is not a bad defensive player, but she can and has done better. *As far as D-I athletes go, Lemnus is also a legit recruit. *Don't forget that a lot of these girls were recruited by big D-I schools, but probably wanted to stay close to home. *Lisa Bue is probably our best all-around D-I athlete.
Coach W: I don't have nearly as much experience as you, I've only played high school ball, but I think "B1SON" has a point with your harsh assessments.

His harsh assessment was not the only thing I was correct about. ;) At least I was nice and only said you were a player, I didn't reveal any names. I think it is important though for people who get so critical on here to remember you are hard working ladies who get up early in the morning to do plyos and practice late, and for what? To play basketball for your fans, fans that sometimes don't deserve it. Once again, keep working hard and you'll be fine. Amy is a good coach and the team just needs time to gel.

Ivy
11-04-2006, 02:13 PM
I'm still going to attend all of the home games. *I'm not a fair-weather fan. *If they don't turn it around, people will not have the same feelings as me and the attendance will decline. *Especially how the schedule is this year with the men and women not playing double headers.

Hopefully this women's team will turn the negatives into positives and prove me wrong!

kchats
11-04-2006, 04:08 PM
This disappointing thing to NDSU fans is that the women's basketball program seemed like a program poised to move up to division I and have more success immediately and it hasn't happened. Worse yet it seems like the program is regressing and it seems like the talent level isn't at the level of SDSU. NDSU fans expect winners and we expect great effort from the players as well as good character kids wearing the uniforms. If the loss was because of a lack of effort that is even more disheartening and needs to be corrected. I didn't think Amy's teams would be capable of a lack of effort but is sounds like this team has proven me wrong.

Coach_W
11-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Coach W ARE YOU FROM BEACH?

No.

I didn't think I was being critical in my earlier posts. I thought I was stating facts and or opinion, which is what a message board is for, I think.

I hope the Bison turn things around here real soon. I'd much rather see these schools going DI be successful. Doesn't leave much for us to do around here in the winter if our basketball teams aren't any good.

sambini
11-06-2006, 12:46 AM
Coach W are you retired from coaching?

Coach_W
11-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Not retired, yet. ;)

SirHinn
11-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Well, the loss to thee Dragons shouldn't seem as bad now. They did just beat UNI at their house coming back after being down 12 at half. So perhaps the dragons are better then advertised.

SDbison
11-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Still, NDSU should have been in the game against Moorhead. My concern is that maybe Amy is a great DII coach, but her system does not work well for DI. Hopefully I am proven wrong.
As for people making negative comments or valid criticism I am getting tired of people slamming others on this board just for having a critical comment. Great to have the discussion regardless of which side you are on, but to censor what people think /write when done with thought (no smack, no attack, no foul language) is ridiculous.

Mr_Meanor
11-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Still, NDSU should have been in the game against Moorhead. *My concern is that maybe Amy is a great DII coach, but her system does not work well for DI. *Hopefully I am proven wrong. *
As for people making negative comments or valid criticism I am getting tired of people slamming others on this board just for having a critical comment. *Great to have the discussion regardless of which side you are on, but to censor what people think /write when done with thought (no smack, no attack, no foul language) is ridiculous.

I agree with you...I am a huge bison fan but that does not mean I have to agree with everything they do. I am not going to sit here and pretend that this basketball team is heading in the right direction because they are not. The recruiting the last few years has been ok at best. I think Ruley is having a very difficult time adjusting to DI competion. Don't get me wrong, I will always suport the team and players but I am not going to pretend they are something they are not. Its pretty clear that this team is going to struggle this season and the program needs something to get it jumpstarted. I wish the players the best of luck for this up comeing season and hopefully they can find some positives to build on for the next few years.

TheDoctor
11-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Still, NDSU should have been in the game against Moorhead. *My concern is that maybe Amy is a great DII coach, but her system does not work well for DI. *Hopefully I am proven wrong. *
As for people making negative comments or valid criticism I am getting tired of people slamming others on this board just for having a critical comment. *Great to have the discussion regardless of which side you are on, but to censor what people think /write when done with thought (no smack, no attack, no foul language) is ridiculous.

The "Message Boards" of the 21st Century are a GREAT place for people to VOICE their opinions. Negative comments or valid criticism are our right and we should not be censored. blah blah blah blah. Amy is an adult and has a job to do, of which when she took it, she understood she would have to answer to the public. The players on the other hand are college students. Young and often emotionally insecure. If you could look a player in the eye and say to them the same thing you say on this board, then by all means spout off. If the issue was an individual player, then they need to take responsibility for their own actions. I see this as a whole team issue and therefore a coaching issue. When I teach my classes and certain individuals perform poorly on a test, I address the student and look to fix the situation. When the whole class performs VERY poorly on a test, I don't blame the students, I start looking at how my classes failed to prepare them for that test.

My point is EVERYONE in some way feels a little more comfortable spouting off when they don't have to look someone in the eye or are not held immediately accountable for what they just said. I am sorry if I got a little more emotionally involved in this one, but when a student tells me that "not only do I feel like crap about the losses but did you see what there saying about us on Bisonville.com? So, we created a new user name and defended ourselves". I felt terrible for her and the team at that moment. Anyway, I am now done talking about it. Like I said though, I know first hand, that A LOT more players are beginning to read these message boards (all sports). Good or bad, it's simply a fact and food for thought.

SDbison
11-06-2006, 10:18 PM

The "Message Boards" of the 21st Century are a GREAT place for people to VOICE their opinions. *Negative comments or valid criticism are our right and we should not be censored. blah blah blah blah. *Amy is an adult and has a job to do, of which when she took it, she understood she would have to answer to the public. *The players on the other hand are college students. *Young and often emotionally insecure. *If you could look a player in the eye and say to them the same thing you say on this board, then by all means spout off. *If the issue was an individual player, then they need to take responsibility for their own actions. *I see this as a whole team issue and therefore a coaching issue. *When I teach my classes and certain individuals perform poorly on a test, I address the student and look to fix the situation. When the whole class performs VERY poorly on a test, I don't blame the students, I start looking at how my classes failed to prepare them for that test.
My point is EVERYONE in some way feels a little more comfortable spouting off when they don't have to look someone in the eye or are not held immediately accountable for what they just said. *I am sorry if I got a little more emotionally involved in this one, but when a student tells me that "not only do I feel like crap about the losses but did you see what there saying about us on Bisonville.com? *So, we created a new user name and defended ourselves". *I felt terrible for her and the team at that moment. *Anyway, I am now done talking about it. *Like I said though, I know first hand, that *A LOT more players are beginning to read these message boards (all sports). *Good or bad, it's simply a fact and food for thought. *
Wow, you are the first teacher I ever heard make the statement in bold above. When I was going to NDSU some of the engineering professors were quite proud of themselves when they pushed the aveage way down. In fact I was in a Mechanics of Machinery class where the test average was 42% and the class high was 62%. The prof could not even explain the answer to a 25 point problem (1/4th of test) during an entire class period. We complained to the Dean without result. What a joke. I dropped the class and switched to Industrial Engineering. Best decision I ever made.

Ivy
11-06-2006, 10:41 PM

The "Message Boards" of the 21st Century are a GREAT place for people to VOICE their opinions. *Negative comments or valid criticism are our right and we should not be censored. blah blah blah blah. *Amy is an adult and has a job to do, of which when she took it, she understood she would have to answer to the public. *The players on the other hand are college students. *Young and often emotionally insecure. *If you could look a player in the eye and say to them the same thing you say on this board, then by all means spout off. *If the issue was an individual player, then they need to take responsibility for their own actions. *I see this as a whole team issue and therefore a coaching issue. *When I teach my classes and certain individuals perform poorly on a test, I address the student and look to fix the situation. *When the whole class performs VERY poorly on a test, I don't blame the students, I start looking at how my classes failed to prepare them for that test. *

My point is EVERYONE in some way feels a little more comfortable spouting off when they don't have to look someone in the eye or are not held immediately accountable for what they just said. *I am sorry if I got a little more emotionally involved in this one, but when a student tells me that "not only do I feel like crap about the losses but did you see what there saying about us on Bisonville.com? *So, we created a new user name and defended ourselves". *I felt terrible for her and the team at that moment. *Anyway, I am now done talking about it. *Like I said though, I know first hand, that *A LOT more players are beginning to read these message boards (all sports). *Good or bad, it's simply a fact and food for thought. *

We also have to keep in mind that the student athletes also need to be able to take criticism. *They are also adults (even if they are young) and have made the choice to play at the collegiate level. *If an athlete is not playing tot the best of their personal ability, that is the athletes problem, not the coaching staff. *If they play the best they can and still getting whooped, maybe these women are in a little over their heads, and that I would blame on the coaching staff for not recruiting higher caliber athletes to put in those situations.

TheDoctor
11-07-2006, 12:21 AM

The "Message Boards" of the 21st Century are a GREAT place for people to VOICE their opinions. *Negative comments or valid criticism are our right and we should not be censored. blah blah blah blah. *Amy is an adult and has a job to do, of which when she took it, she understood she would have to answer to the public. *The players on the other hand are college students. *Young and often emotionally insecure. *If you could look a player in the eye and say to them the same thing you say on this board, then by all means spout off. *If the issue was an individual player, then they need to take responsibility for their own actions. *I see this as a whole team issue and therefore a coaching issue. *When I teach my classes and certain individuals perform poorly on a test, I address the student and look to fix the situation. *When the whole class performs VERY poorly on a test, I don't blame the students, I start looking at how my classes failed to prepare them for that test. *

We also have to keep in mind that the student athletes also need to be able to take criticism. *They are also adults (even if they are young) and have made the choice to play at the collegiate level. *If an athlete is not playing tot the best of their personal ability, that is the athletes problem, not the coaching staff. *If they play the best they can and still getting whooped, maybe these women are in a little over their heads, and that I would blame on the coaching staff for not recruiting higher caliber athletes to put in those situations.

How about the players who have the talent, but don't know how to play with their teammates. *Team chemistry has to be developed by the coaching staff (recognizing individual and team strengths and weaknesses and exploiting them). *I was at the game on Wednesday night and there was NO team chemistry. *Amy HAD to know by watching practice that they were in trouble on Wednesday morning. *The players IMO were not very upset about losing because they were relieved to know that the 40 minutes of confusion about what they were supposed to be doing and who to rely on was finally over. *The were the perfect example of a truely poorly coached team, a team that regardless of what the opposition was doing, was beating themselves every step of the way. *Before anyone can say these are not D1 athletes, they are going to need to see them play a basketball game as a team. *Until then, it is hard to tell how good the athletes playing out there are. * :-/

College students are not much different than minors, in that if we don't set them up to be sucessful, most will fail. A good analogy before your rip me for my last comment. It was just advising week last week. Students come to me to get guidance into which classes to take next semester, how many credits I think they can handle, which semesters to take certain things. I'd like to say I know a little about this, because it is my job to know it and to guide the students. NOW, do I take their tests for them? NO! Do I get up in the morning and attend class for them? NO! That is their job. My job is guide them and help them be successful. The Ladies should play their hardest, BUT Amy has to set them up as a team to be successful and that has not happened to this point. So, until then, I defend the players. OK, REALLY NOW! I am done talking about this. ;D

NoDakSt
11-07-2006, 02:16 AM
The Ladies should play their hardest, BUT Amy has to set them up as a team to be successful and that has not happened to this point. So, until then, I defend the players.

What is this scenario...players vs. coaching staff?

Why the need to defend one [the players] and attack the other [Amy]?

Is it possible that Amy realizes that this team's best days are in the future and that she needs to nuture their development slowly so that they acheive their potential.

Coach_W
11-07-2006, 02:18 AM
Players are crazy if they go to these boards and read about themselves. That's like coaches asking media people what they thought about the last game?

I really don't think the criticism on this board is that bad. People questioning talent ihappens on these boards when teams are losing. I think Amy has taken more heat here than her players.

Mr_Meanor
11-07-2006, 02:26 AM
Players are crazy if they go to these boards and read about themselves. *That's like coaches asking media people what they thought about the last game?

I really don't think the criticism on this board is that bad. *People questioning talent ihappens on these boards when teams are losing. *I think Amy has taken more heat here than her players.

I agree with you...the players should know that there is going to be some critisim on boards like these when they are not playing well. If they don't want to see the critism don't come looking for it. They are all adults who are getting a free education to play basketball so lets not treat them like they are kids.

TheDoctor
11-07-2006, 03:01 AM
The Ladies should play their hardest, BUT Amy has to set them up as a team to be successful and that has not happened to this point. *So, until then, I defend the players. *

What is this scenario...players vs. coaching staff?

Why the need to defend one [the players] and attack the other [Amy]?

Is it possible that Amy realizes that this team's best days are in the future and that she needs to nuture their development slowly so that they acheive their potential.

Very good points. Lets hope this is true. :)

TheDoctor
11-07-2006, 03:11 AM
Players are crazy if they go to these boards and read about themselves.

Then go nuts I guess! Forget I said anything. :-X

TheDoctor
11-07-2006, 03:15 AM
Players are crazy if they go to these boards and read about themselves. *That's like coaches asking media people what they thought about the last game?

I really don't think the criticism on this board is that bad. *People questioning talent ihappens on these boards when teams are losing. *I think Amy has taken more heat here than her players.

I agree with you...the players should know that there is going to be some critisim on boards like these when they are not playing well. *If they don't want to see the critism don't come looking for it. *They are all adults who are getting a free education to play basketball so lets not treat them like they are kids. *

Keep in mind not ALL these athletes are getting a full ride. Some bust there a$$es every morning and afternoon for much less than a 100% free education.

SirHinn
11-07-2006, 03:28 AM

I agree with you...the players should know that there is going to be some critisim on boards like these when they are not playing well. *If they don't want to see the critism don't come looking for it. *They are all adults who are getting a free education to play basketball so lets not treat them like they are kids. *

Keep in mind not ALL these athletes are getting a full ride. *Some bust there a$$es every morning and afternoon for much less than a 100% free education.

Your wrong, outside of the walkons that a division 1 basketball team carries, 13 scholarships for mens and 15 for womens basketball. This is NDSU, not MSUM where a lot of the players have to walkon or get partial scholarships at best to play.

So, all the women on the basketball team are on scholarship except for whoever walked on.

TheDoctor
11-07-2006, 03:54 AM

Keep in mind not ALL these athletes are getting a full ride. *Some bust there a$$es every morning and afternoon for much less than a 100% free education.

Your wrong, outside of the walkons that a division 1 basketball team carries, * 13 scholarships for mens and 15 for womens basketball. *This is NDSU, not MSUM where a lot of the players have to walkon or get partial scholarships at best to play.

So, all the women on the basketball team are on scholarship except for whoever walked on.

Funny you start by saying I am wrong and then finish by saying I am right. *My statement was "not ALL these athletes are getting a full ride." *I never said "a lot of the players have to walkon or get partial scholarships at best to play." So, the fact that the walk ons are not getting free educations makes my statement factual. *As far as I know the coaches have the same practice and dedication expectations of the walk ons as they do the scholarship players.

kchats
11-07-2006, 03:58 AM
The most disappointing thing in both of these losses is that both teams are teams NDSU pounded while a member of division II. So NDSU moves "UP" to division I and then loses to both of them. How do you get worse when you move up to a higher level? Can anyone tell me this team is better than the last division II team Amy had?

TheDoctor
11-07-2006, 04:01 AM
The most disappointing thing in both of these losses is that both teams are teams NDSU pounded while a member of division II. *So NDSU moves "UP" to division I and then loses to both of them. *How do you get worse when you move up to a higher level? *Can anyone tell me this team is better than the last division II team Amy had?

You are 100% correct on your analysis kchat. I couldn't have said it better.

Mr_Meanor
11-07-2006, 04:08 AM
This team is worse that Ruley's DII teams and its very easy to see. Ruley is not getting the recruits she needs to compete at the DI level, hell she isn't even getting good enough players to compete at the D2 level. If the bison women played the school from up north they would get beat by 30. This program is in a very sad state at the present moment.

SirHinn
11-07-2006, 05:55 AM

Your wrong, outside of the walkons that a division 1 basketball team carries, * 13 scholarships for mens and 15 for womens basketball. *This is NDSU, not MSUM where a lot of the players have to walkon or get partial scholarships at best to play.

Funny you start by saying I am wrong and then finish by saying I am right. *My statement was "not ALL these athletes are getting a full ride." *I never said "a lot of the players have to walkon or get partial scholarships at best to play." *So, the fact that the walk ons are not getting free educations makes my statement factual. *As far as I know the coaches have the same practice and dedication expectations of the walk ons as they do the scholarship players.

Actually your the one that is wrong. If you look at their current roster, there are 17 players on the team. 2 of which are transfers therefore their scholarships don't count against the 15 that a division 1 team must have. Therefore everyone currently on the women's roster indeed has a full ride in place.

TheDoctor
11-07-2006, 02:35 PM

Funny you start by saying I am wrong and then finish by saying I am right. *My statement was "not ALL these athletes are getting a full ride." *I never said "a lot of the players have to walkon or get partial scholarships at best to play." *So, the fact that the walk ons are not getting free educations makes my statement factual. *As far as I know the coaches have the same practice and dedication expectations of the walk ons as they do the scholarship players.

Actually *your the one that is wrong. *If you look at their current roster, there are 17 players on the team. *2 of which are transfers therefore their scholarships don't count against the 15 that a division 1 team must have. *Therefore everyone currently on the women's roster indeed has a full ride in place. *

It simply amazes how people can make statements of fact in certain situations based on rules and not fact. *I asked the first player I had of the day @ 8:00 am, Annika Walseth (one of the 17 players listed on the roster you speak of), and she said she was not on a scholarship, nor was at least one other player. *I make a habit of not saying things are true that I don't know for a fact are, please take this advise as well. * ;)

mikelsch
11-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Jackie Sanden is also non-scholarship

SirHinn
11-08-2006, 11:40 PM

Actually *your the one that is wrong. *If you look at their current roster, there are 17 players on the team. *2 of which are transfers therefore their scholarships don't count against the 15 that a division 1 team must have. *Therefore everyone currently on the women's roster indeed has a full ride in place. *

It simply amazes how people can make statements of fact in certain situations based on rules and not fact. *I asked the first player I had of the day @ 8:00 am, Annika Walseth (one of the 17 players listed on the roster you speak of), and she said she was not on a scholarship, nor was at least one other player. *I make a habit of not saying things are true that I don't know for a fact are, please take this advise as well. * ;)

Obviously it was my bad on that. I assumed instead of actually knowing the facts. What the heck are they doing with the extra scholarships out of curiousity?

TheDoctor
11-09-2006, 03:13 AM
I honestly can't tell you what they are doing with them. *I want to compliment you for be an honest person. *Most of the time when someone calls me out and gets proved wrong, they coincidently never check back to the thread. *The one I remember the most is when I came home from working the elementary camp and Woodside had told me that he was at the doctor that morning and they finally discovered it was a broken bone in his hand that was bothering him. *He was excited to get an answer and I was excited he had his answer so I shared it on here. *LakesBison proceeded to tell me I was "wrong" because the news or newspaper would have reported something this important long before I knew. *I proceeded to argue with someone who obviously didn't even deserve my attention and low and behold the next day at camp Kolpack was there, Woody told him as well and the article was out. *Anyway, when the article came out, I copied and pasted it in the thread and LaskesBison coincidently never read the thread again. *So, I admire you for being able to admit your wrong and I respect most of what you post in your threads. *While most of my contributions on this board are more first hand from the players as I have more athletes in my major than any other on campus, you are very well read. *You read up on teams we play, played, or will play and I appreciate your expertise. * ;)

Hammersmith
11-09-2006, 03:54 AM
Question: Why wouldn't the DI transfers' scholarships count? If they are at NDSU and on scholarship, I would think that those scholies would count towards the 15 scholie limit. As I read it, if they are getting aid based on their athletic ability, they are a counter whether they are eligible to compete or not.

mikelsch
11-09-2006, 04:56 AM
17 players on the roster, 2 are non-scholarship (Sanden and Walseth)

Bison are using their full allotment of 15 scholarships this year

SirHinn
11-09-2006, 05:04 AM
17 players on the roster, 2 are non-scholarship (Sanden and Walseth)

Bison are using their full allotment of 15 scholarships this year

So do transfers count towards the 15 scholarships during their sit out year then? I was informed by a d-2 level coach that they didn't, but yet again it wouldn't shock me if that was incorrect info.

mikelsch
11-09-2006, 05:06 AM
Transfers count if they are on scholarship at the new school

Samuelson is on scholarship this year despite sitting out (kinda like when redshirts are on scholarship)

Walseth is not scholarship this year, but could potentially earn one for next year

TheDoctor
11-09-2006, 01:23 PM
When Walseth becomes elegible this season, she will be playing her last season of basketball. Straight from her mouth.

Ivy
11-09-2006, 05:31 PM
...He was excited to get an answer and I was excited he had his answer so I shared it on here. *LakesBison proceeded to tell me I was "wrong" because the news or newspaper would have reported something this important long before I knew. *I proceeded to argue with someone who obviously didn't even deserve my attention and low and behold the next day at camp Kolpack was there, Woody told him as well and the article was out. *Anyway, when the article came out, I copied and pasted it in the thread and LaskesBison coincidently never read the thread again. *.... * *

Does anyone else find it extremely annoying that the local media gets their scoops from this fan board??? *It's a fan board and a lot of conversations are just talk. *Scott H from Fox TV did it last night, too regarding the NCAA letting the Bison FB team into the playoffs. *I think that made NDSU look like idiots. *Obviously, NDSU isn't challenging the ruling of the probation period, but his report made it sound like they did ...even though it was just some fans talking about it on this board....

IowaBison
11-09-2006, 07:09 PM
that's the nice thing about McFeely, he's so cynical and anti-bison that we don't have to worry about him finding leads or forming viewpoints based on anything on bisonville.

If nothing, the jackass is original!

(You and William Hunting, Mike, I know you read this board.)

TheDoctor
11-10-2006, 07:02 PM
...He was excited to get an answer and I was excited he had his answer so I shared it on here. *LakesBison proceeded to tell me I was "wrong" because the news or newspaper would have reported something this important long before I knew. *I proceeded to argue with someone who obviously didn't even deserve my attention and low and behold the next day at camp Kolpack was there, Woody told him as well and the article was out. *Anyway, when the article came out, I copied and pasted it in the thread and LaskesBison coincidently never read the thread again. *.... * *

Does anyone else find it extremely annoying that the local media gets their scoops from this fan board??? *It's a fan board and a lot of conversations are just talk. *Scott H from Fox TV did it last night, too regarding the NCAA letting the Bison FB team into the playoffs. *I think that made NDSU look like idiots. *Obviously, NDSU isn't challenging the ruling of the probation period, but his report made it sound like they did ...even though it was just some fans talking about it on this board....

Just for the record though, Kolpack reading my post was obviosly to his benefit, because I was correct. But yes, this is "water cooler" talk for the most part on here and most of the time shouldn't be expressed as fact.

Ivy
11-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Just for the record though, Kolpack reading my post was obviosly to his benefit, because I was correct. *But yes, this is "water cooler" talk for the most part on here and most of the time shouldn't be expressed as fact.

I don't really care about the Woodside broken hand thing, but more so when they pass off talk on the board as NDSU's point of view....it happens a lot....especially with WDAY and Fox TV. *Some people will believe anything they hear on the news or read in the paper. *:-/

TheDoctor
11-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Just for the record though, Kolpack reading my post was obviosly to his benefit, because I was correct. *But yes, this is "water cooler" talk for the most part on here and most of the time shouldn't be expressed as fact.

I don't really care about the Woodside broken hand thing, but more so when they pass off talk on the board as NDSU's point of view....it happens a lot....especially with WDAY and Fox TV. *Some people will believe anything they hear on the news or read in the paper. *:-/

Ok, I'm feeling you now. *I agree, we do not represtent the whole fan base, nor does anyone know who some people even are on here. My point is, if the media keeps saying a post is the feel of a "bison fan". The sioux fans are going to start impersonating Bison fans on here by creating false user names and claim they (as Bison fans) support crazy things, like UND suing the NCAA for example. So the media will say, "Bison Fans Support Sue Logo". ;D You follow me. ;D