PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota State is next for us.

BlueRaiderPride
12-29-2006, 08:12 PM
It looks like you guys have a couple of ladies we need to watch out for plus a really tall girl at center.

Middle Tennessee has a pretty potent offense. *What kind of defense can we expect to see from the Lady Bison to counter that kind of firepower? *Do you run a full-court press? *Half-Court press? *Something else?

It looks like NDSU is one of those teams that is not afraid to shoot from long range being 38 of 149 attempts from 3-point range in ten games. *However, it looks like you beat teams in the paint with your height from Jerri Penley. *It's already looking like you are much improved over last year's team that beat us in Fargo.

With the likelihood that we could see our first Top 25 rank for the first time in school history coming on Monday's release of the updated AP Poll, I would hope we would take you guys very seriously if being reminded of last year wasn't enough. *I think we've learned that we can be beat if we don't give it our best shot. *South Dakota State showed us that this year. *Anyways, hope ya'll enjoy your time in the Nashville/Murfreesboro area except for during the game. * 8-)

Please feel free to stop by and chat with us at the Blue Reign on Blue Raider Zone (http://www.blueraiderzone.com).

By the way, nice board!

NoDakSt
12-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Hey BlueRaider...welcome to the board...Have to say MTSU has had a great season thus far with a win over Georgia and a near win over the Terps.

Bison won't attempt to full court press anyone least of all your team. In fact, I think our best bet is to slow down the game and get back on defense where we can stop penetration of Holt and Givens. The additon of Holt gives your team a whole new level of firepower this year. I doubt that NDSU has seen anyone of that talent level yet.

Penley is listed at 6-2 but I think she is quite a bit taller. Ironically, I think she was putting up better numbers before our pg returned to came status. Since Amanda Giordat's return, we've been winning but Penley hasn't contributed as much. Our two main weapons are Lisa BUe and Brenda Slyt who play wing positions mostly. Bue actually does a bit of everything for us...she's the one that sparks this offense from the 2 G spot.

I don't think we are improved over last year's team...we lost Katie Lorenz, our starting point of 4 years to graduation and, even with Giordat's return, I don't think this team is running as smoothly. I don't even think the potential is there this year. However, they clunked it out against Minnesota (a team you guys hammered).

I just hope the Bison are competitive and can use this game as a building block...

BlueRaiderZone
12-29-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm really interested about your guard play. The Lady Raiders are a pressing team and they have caused a lot of teams problems with the press. At one point against Western Kentucky, they had 27 points and 26 turnovers. Do you have a guard that can handle a lot of pressure? If so, it will be a good game, if not, it might get ugly fast.

I'm not trying to disrespect the Lady Bisons. I have a lot of respect for your team. I'm just stating that I have been very impressed with our team's full court press all year.

SDbison
12-29-2006, 11:17 PM
I'm really interested about your guard play. The Lady Raiders are a pressing team and they have caused a lot of teams problems with the press. At one point against Western Kentucky, they had 27 points and 26 turnovers. Do you have a guard that can handle a lot of pressure? If so, it will be a good game, if not, it might get ugly fast.

I'm not trying to disrespect the Lady Bisons. I have a lot of respect for your team. I'm just stating that I have been very impressed with our team's full court press all year.

Not to be rude, but to get respect from Bisonville you need to call us the Bison regardless if plural or not. *Too many other team's announcers and fans make the mistake of calling us the Bisons. * ;)

NoDakSt
12-30-2006, 12:12 AM

Not to be rude, but to get respect from Bisonville you need to call us the Bison regardless if plural or not. *Too many other team's announcers and fans make the mistake of calling us the Bisons. * ;)

Minnesota's announcers were calling us Bisons. *I thought that was different. Must have been prairie transplants.

NDSU's team also is know as the Bison or the Bison Women. We're not as genteel as y'all in Tennessee so we don't use the "Lady".

Regarding handling MTSU's press....before Giordat's return, we were turning the ball over against even medial pressure. I think we have better tempo control with her in the game.

NDSUFREAK10
12-30-2006, 02:08 AM
And to add to it it is BIZZZZZZZZZZZON and not BISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSON. But other than that, welcome aboard! ;D

BlueRaiderPride
12-30-2006, 02:44 AM

The one thing that concerns me about North Dakota State is their height under the basket. Our main weakness has been the ability to get to the board after missed shots. The Lady Bison average 44 rebounds a game. 44! I don't care who you play. That's a lot of dang rebounds, and you can't get to those boards like that unless you have the girls that can tower over everyone on the court. For us to win, we will have to make every shot count. We will have to go after the ball from the players. NDSU averages more turnovers a game than their opponents so I think there's potential for us to get a few steals.

I'm kind of relieved to know that they don't operate a full-court press. We have a tendency to do much better against teams that do not pressure our offense because that allows us to take the time to make good judgements in shot selection. That will be very important for Jackie Pickel, Brandi Brown, Chelsia Lymon, and Johnna Abney who are all VERY good from 3-point range.

BlueRaiderZone
12-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Sorry. No disrespect meant towards the Bison. I understand where you are coming from. At Middle Tennessee we prefer the name Middle Tennessee instead of Middle Tennessee State University or MTSU. People who are not very familiar with our program do not know this, so I understand and respect your request.

TheDoctor
12-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Sorry. No disrespect meant towards the Bison. I understand where you are coming from. At Middle Tennessee we prefer the name Middle Tennessee instead of Middle Tennessee State University or MTSU. People who are not very familiar with our program do not know this, so I understand and respect your request.

The "Bison" thing is just different. We are not trying to be difficult like the Stanford "Cardinal" and opposed to Cardinals, but for some reason one Bison is a Bison and more than one together are also called Bison. A Herd of Bison, NOT a Herd of Bisons. Where one Cow is a Cow while a herd is a herd of Cows. I am confusing myself now. ;D You get it though, right? :-? :-?

NoDakSt
12-31-2006, 01:32 AM
Just a thought for Rick Insell....I would press the Bison.

BlueRaiderPride
12-31-2006, 04:21 AM
Just a thought for Rick Insell....I would press the Bison.

We press everybody we play every minute we're on defense. It's breaking the press that most teams have a hard time with. But, we do have three losses so apparently it can be done.

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 04:32 AM
watch out, middle tennessee, because we were getting hot at the end of the 'Bama game!! ;D ;D ;D

BlueRaiderPride
12-31-2006, 09:02 PM
watch out, middle tennessee, because we were getting hot at the end of the 'Bama game!! ;D ;D ;D

After getting beat by South Dakota State and having lost to you last year, I cannot see us NOT taking this game with the Lady Bison seriously.

sambini
12-31-2006, 10:32 PM
GOOD LUCK BISON+++