PDA

View Full Version : How bad is it?

SDbison
02-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Well, from reading Terry V's blog in the Argus Leader the Bison women are bad, but he takes the opportunity to put down the BSA and make a little comment about a future recruit. *Talk about kicking you when you are down. *It is time for some changes. The BSA remodel has to happen real quick and that is only patchwork. *The basketball addition to the Fargodome needs to move fast too. *Be nice to have that facility in 2 or 3 years max. *Amy's recruiting is going down and no reason for it to get much better. *I would give her one more year and that is if she is up to the task. *BTW, here is Terry V's comment's:

For the recruit watchers out there, Moorhead High School guard Kelsey Jacobson is here. She’s only a junior, but last season set the Minnesota state record for most 3-pointers in a single season. She is a hoops junkie and has her sights set on playing at the best Division I team possible. Both of these teams are interested in her and she plans to visit Brookings later this month.

For all the facility advantages that NDSU has over SDSU in football, it’s the opposite in basketball. The BSA is really rather unimpressive. They’ve hung big green baggies above the baseline seats. It’s both unattractive and a blown opportunity for some corporate sponsorship (Glad trash bags).

NDSUFREAK10
02-04-2007, 09:33 PM
owwwww....ouch. I agree we need to get this arena done and done well.

TheDoctor
02-05-2007, 03:36 AM
owwwww....ouch. I agree we need to get this arena done and done well.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ;)

sambini
02-05-2007, 04:50 AM
I give the arena idea a ++++++++++++++

kchats
02-06-2007, 02:22 AM
http://blogs.argusleadermedia.com/sports/

Back to the Banana Belt
Posted in SDSU | February 5th, 2007 No Comments »

I’ve never been so happy to feel the sting of a 13-below-zero windchill in my life. The actual temperature was 25 below when I awoke in Fargo this morning. It was the thermal opposite of hell.

Looks like Bison fans are teetering on the brink after Saturday’s 41-point thumping against the Jacks. One stat that may further your desire jump and one that may make you step away from the ledge: Of the 14 field goals the Bison made, nine were “clean” as in not following a missed shot. As for the good news … NDSU is No. 173 in the NCAA RPI rankings. That’s better than all the Independents other than SDSU. Ten of the 15 Indys are at 267 or lower.

Not to make excuses for NDSU because the lack of athleticism is astounding, but what that program is experiencing is not unusual. Rather, SDSU has completely ruined the curve for transitioning and Independent programs. (Read Tuesday’s Argus Leader for more on this.) There was a story in my former paper about the men’s NIT and a tournament selection committee member said something to the effect that outside of Notre Dame (now in the Big East), Indys simply don’t make the postseason. And it’s been purported that no transitioning program has ever done so. What’s happening to the Bison is what’s supposed to happen. What the Jacks – ranked 38 in the latest RPI – are accomplishing is exceptionally rare.

I don’t know how rich people do it. I’m absolutely discombobulated by having residences in two states. Sometimes when I’m in Fargo, I think I’m in Jamestown, my hometown. Apparently, my brain is not able to separate one former home from another. This could become problematic.

The blog comments have been up lately; keep up the good work. One of you asked (politely, I believe), why I attended the women’s game Saturday instead of the men’s game. Well, my sports editor gives me considerable freedom in choosing my assignments, and for that I am grateful. I chose the women’s game for two reasons: 1) With the team surging toward a WNIT bid, what would be the first D-I team postseason berth in school history, the game was of greater significance. 2) My wife and daughter still live in Fargo, so this weekend offered an opportunity to be a father and a husband again. It turns out I’ve either forgotten how to play those roles or I never knew in the first place.

cabis
02-06-2007, 03:27 AM
At first glance its pretty bad. The once dominant NDSU womens basketball program gets its A$$ kicked by our lowly rival SDSU in OUR house. It doesn't get much worse than that.
After sleeping on it there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The Jacks have simply raised the bar. I have read on here countless times that we will never compete for National Championships again etc etc because we are not Big Ten or Big Twelve and simply cant compete. The Jacks are showing that is not true and if we want to keep up with them we damn well better compete. The Jacks are a legitimate top 50 team and if eligible would probably be an NCAA at large team. They are a virtual lock for a WNIT invite and will most likely be the highest ranked team in the field and a favorite to win.
Hopefully this is a wakeup call to The Bison that we are in the heartland of basketball and that to be succesfull we have to raise our expectations and go after the best possible talent period. We have to expand our recruiting horizons and go after the talent that everybody else wants not their leftovers, and then find a way to get it done.
Its ironic that the Bison mens program has turned the same trick on SDSU albiet not quite as spectacularly. I wonder if the Bison men and the Jacks womens programs had a little more sense of urgency going into the transition as distinct underdogs, to maybe work a little further outside their comfort zone to account for some of their early success.

kchats
02-06-2007, 03:28 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070204/SPORTS0202/702040354/1002/SPORTS

"That was a pretty good whooping," said Bison coach Amy Ruley, who won five Division II national titles from 1991-96. "They're a solid basketball team. If anything, it should motivate us to say we have to make improvements."

This is a promising statement. Now let's gitr done.

kchats
02-06-2007, 03:30 AM
SDSU was better than NDSU in women's basketball at the end of division II too. SDSU is the last NCC team to win a national championship.

SDbison
02-06-2007, 03:47 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070204/SPORTS0202/702040354/1002/SPORTS

"That was a pretty good whooping," said Bison coach Amy Ruley, who won five Division II national titles from 1991-96. "They're a solid basketball team. If anything, it should motivate us to say we have to make improvements."

This is a promising statement. *Now let's gitr done.
So Amy just figured this out? WTF?
This isn't just about whether Amy is capable, but something has to be done to move from talk to actual plans to fundraising and actual construction on the new basketball arena ASAP! And, of course we all know the BSA renovation has to happen, but all the makeup in the world won't make the BSA a beauty.
The men's basketball recruiting in the early transition was damn good due to Miles skills and some luck. Don't know, giving Amy some credit, maybe she did what seemed right but had some bad luck. Obviously, NDSU is not winning men's or women's recruits over with the great basketball facilities on campus.

SDbison
02-06-2007, 03:51 AM
SDSU was better than NDSU in women's basketball at the end of division II too. *SDSU is the last NCC team to win a national championship.
KC, any ideas on why NDSU fell flat so fast right after winning 5 national titles in 6 years?

DORMIE
02-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Since the 4 straight Championships, they were 28-1 in 96-97 and lost to UND their last game. In 99-00 they lost in the Championship game to N KY and were 28-4. Since then they have gone 25-8, 19-10, 27-7, 24-7, 26-1 and 9-17. They beat SDSU both games 2 years ago. Last year Amy had the problem with the point guard leaving for personal reasons and Goridott not coming back from her knee injury. Although she hasn't loaded up as well as SDSU has, she still has redshirt, Georgia Popovice, transfers Ashley Samuelson and Annika Walseth and 3 good recruits to look foreward to for next year. I think Amy still has some fire left. I havn't given up on her. We played pretty well against Minnesota and Arkansas State. Just choked against the Jacks.

mikelsch
02-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Just like the Jacks men's program, our women's team has to re-prove itself in DI. *Whatever happened in DII has very little, if any, merit. *Both programs have been through tough times these past 2 seasons and have a lot of hard work ahead to regain their tradition of playing good, consistent, and exciting basketball.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
02-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Since the 4 straight Championships, they were 28-1 in 96-97 and lost to UND their last game. *In 99-00 they lost in the Championship game to N KY and were 28-4. *Since then they have gone 25-8, 19-10, 27-7, 24-7, 26-1 and 9-17. They beat SDSU both games 2 years ago. *Last year Amy had the problem with the point guard leaving for personal reasons and Goridott not coming back from her knee injury. *Although she hasn't loaded up as well as SDSU has, she still has redshirt, Georgia Popovice, transfers Ashley Samuelson and Annika Walseth and 3 good recruits to look foreward to for next year. *I think Amy still has some fire left. *I havn't given up on her. *We played pretty well against Minnesota and Arkansas State. *Just choked against the Jacks.

Folded up the tents is better description

WePharm
02-06-2007, 11:34 PM
I'll never, ever say anything bad about Amy. She is a class person period. If she wasn't the women's coach we would want to have someone just like her. She has built a program and battled cancer and put up with BS from guys like Bakken & McFly. She has character in spades and has been the bedrock & foundation of SU athletics. We can't forget when the mens programs in the 90's were struggling she was winning national championships.

Sure we can be disappointed in the women's play. But I think there is an ebb & flow to things. You can't stay on top forever, there is too much to chance. That I believe is particularly true in womens sports. A recruit can look good but not pan out. In D1 transition with endless road games the mental challenge is especially tough. Injuries, team chemistry, you name it. Good coaches go through it all the time.

I hope Amy can find the answers. I hope she wants to stay and find the answers. If not, I hope she runs for president!

TonkaBison
02-07-2007, 04:12 AM
I'll never, ever say anything bad about Amy. She is a class person period. If she wasn't the women's coach we would want to have someone just like her. *She has built a program and battled cancer and put up with BS from guys like Bakken & McFly. She has character in spades and has been the bedrock & foundation of SU athletics. We can't forget when the mens programs in the 90's were struggling she was winning national championships. *

Sure we can be disappointed in the women's play. But I think there is an ebb & flow to things. You can't stay on top forever, there is too much to chance. That I believe is particularly true in womens sports. A recruit can look good but not pan out. In D1 transition with endless road games the mental challenge is especially tough. Injuries, team chemistry, you name it. Good coaches go through it all the time.

I hope Amy can find the answers. I hope she wants to stay and find the answers. If not, I hope she runs for president!

Exactly!! I have had a chance to go to Frost Arena now for two years running. I don't see what's so special about it because it reminds me of the gladiator pits I played in against Lakota and DL St. Mary's in high school. Those places intimidated the hell out of you because the crowd was right on top of you but it didn't make them better places to play. With the plans that NDSU has in place we will have no problem competing with Frost.

IMHO Amy took a little longer than she should have with juco transfers and whatever else but I think the girls you will see on the floor next year will be a whole lot different! Of course you can feel free to tell me I'm FOS!

NorthernBison
02-07-2007, 12:52 PM
I'll never, ever say anything bad about Amy. She is a class person period. If she wasn't the women's coach we would want to have someone just like her. *She has built a program and battled cancer and put up with BS from guys like Bakken & McFly. She has character in spades and has been the bedrock & foundation of SU athletics. We can't forget when the mens programs in the 90's were struggling she was winning national championships. *

Exactly!! *I have had a chance to go to Frost Arena now for two years running. *I don't see what's so special about it because it reminds me of the gladiator pits I played in against Lakota and DL St. Mary's in high school. *Those places intimidated the hell out of you because the crowd was right on top of you but it didn't make them better places to play. *With the plans that NDSU has in place we will have no problem competing with Frost.

IMHO Amy took a little longer than she should have with juco transfers and whatever else but I think the girls you will see on the floor next year will be a whole lot different! *Of course you can feel free to tell me I'm FOS!

Just made my day. Somebody else remembers playing in those places. Lakota is just like a gladiator pit. I'll bet few remember DL St. Mary's. Wow.

What really surprises me is how fast things can turn. Two years ago the Bison women beat the Jacks twice. Now the Jacks are a legitimate NCAA tournament team if they were eligible (should make the WNIT). I don't think we are really 40 points worse than the Jacks but I think beating them would be a huge upset. My hope is that things turn around big time in the next couple years.

sambini
02-08-2007, 04:07 AM
I PLAYED IN THE ST. MARYS PIT AS A SEVENTH GRADER.

bisonranch
02-09-2007, 03:37 AM
Lets hope Amy's watching Mandan for future recruits:

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2007/02/08/news/sports/local/128420.txt

TAILG8R
02-09-2007, 03:46 AM
My cousins daughter plays for that team. She pretty damn good I guess. I have not seen her play in person, so I can't say for sure. But she was playing on the Varsity sparingly, when she was in 8th Grade. I believe she is only a freshman this year.

BisBison
02-09-2007, 03:56 AM

She's only gotten one over the years and she quit and tranfered to undII. There's a lot of talent out here. Our best player signed at New Mexico this year w/o a word about going to NDSU.

IowaBison
02-09-2007, 01:40 PM
New Mexico is a WBB power.

bisonranch
02-09-2007, 10:17 PM

She's only gotten one over the years and she quit and tranfered to undII. There's a lot of talent out here. Our best player signed at New Mexico this year w/o a word about going to NDSU.

Ya, I knew her from high school. Never did find out what she was thinking.

NDSU_grad
02-09-2007, 10:48 PM

She's only gotten one over the years and she quit and tranfered to undII.
Wasn't Jaye Amundson from Mandan?

BisBison
02-10-2007, 12:04 AM

She's only gotten one over the years and she quit and tranfered to undII.
Wasn't Jaye Amundson from Mandan?

Oops my bad. I was referring to Perrizo. You are correct sir!!