PDA

View Full Version : Conversation with Jacks Head Coach

Mr._Bill
02-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Stopped off at the old high school gym in southern MN with my daughter to watch the girls varsity play to tonight and the guy sitting next to me was the Jacks head coach Aaron Johnston, scouting a couple of the locals?

Seemed like a good guy and was very modest about the success of his team the is year. He said that if they can win out in their remaining games NDSU, IPFW, NJIT . . . they will have a good shot at an NIT bid. I told him that the Jacks are a shoe in with their current RPI. He said that if they can get in, they will be bidding for a home game, and that would be great for the program.

I told him that I was a bison fan and that the Jacks really thumped us the first time around. I asked him what he thought about the rematch on Friday. He said that he expected a much better game from the Bison this time around, and that the Bison have sort of found their stride over the past two weeks while the Jacks have been up and down. He walked out of the gym mid-way through the 2nd half, I don't think he saw any offers on the court tonight, but its always good to get some face time with area coaches.

IMO, the Bison better be ready to play on Friday, or we are looking at another blowout. More than likely however, we will have a better showing this time around.

rabidrabbit
02-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Stopped off at the old high school gym in southern MN with my daughter to watch the girls varsity play to tonight and the guy sitting next to me was the Jacks head coach Aaron Johnston, scouting a couple of the locals?

Seemed like a good guy and was very modest about the success of his team the is year. *He said that if they can win out in their remaining games NDSU, IPFW, NJIT . . . they will have a good shot at an NIT bid. *I told him that the Jacks are a shoe in with their current RPI. *He said that if they can get in, they will be bidding for a home game, and that would be great for the program.

I told him that I was a bison fan and that the Jacks really thumped us the first time around. *I asked him what he thought about the rematch on Friday. *He said that he expected a much better game from the Bison this time around, and that the Bison have sort of found their stride over the past two weeks while the Jacks have been up and down. *He walked out of the gym mid-way through the 2nd half, I don't think he saw any offers on the court tonight, but its always good to get some face time with area coaches.

IMO, the Bison better be ready to play on Friday, or we are looking at another blowout. *More than likely however, we will have a better showing this time around.

Thanks On-Bison. Here's an audio interview with Aaron Johnston, SDSU Women's BB coach. Like stated above very good and modest man. Been (and hopefully continues well to be) a GREAT coach at SDSU.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/misc?URL=/templates/ArticleMultiMediaPopup.pbs&Date=20070220&ArtNo=702 20020&Category=ONAIR01&ObjectClass=38&Params=Id=62 573

Look for a closer game Sat., but doubt that Bison will pull win in Brookings on Sr Nite.

mikelsch
02-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Johnston won't be at SDSU very much longer if he keeps winning...there will definitely be higher profile programs with a handful of cash knocking on his door

gobison1
02-21-2007, 05:25 PM
You talked to him when he was out recruiting? Does Amy go out and do any of that or does she leave that up to her assistants?

mikelsch
02-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Coach Ruley and her assistants do the in-person recruiting. She was shown on TV at games a couple times last year for example.

jackrabbit1979
02-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Johnston won't be at SDSU very much longer if he keeps winning...there will definitely be higher profile programs with a handful of cash knocking on his door

I agree Greenie, I just hope we can hold onto him for a few more years.

I don't know if you listened to the linked audio or not, but Johnston addresses leaving after the question is asked. One thing he says is that he has no interest in rebuilding a program, he feels comfortable where he is at SDSU just trying to reload and stay successful.

Another thing to look into is his gender. A lot of the larger and more high profile WBB positions around the country would desire to have a woman in that role. It is good PR I think in those circles, and is one position in Athletics where there are a good number of qualified female candidates. It may or may not limit his options, but is something to ponder.

Mid-Con_Jack
02-22-2007, 02:54 AM
People are starting to measure how good their high school players are by how many times AJ has been present to watch. I heard two guys discussing as follows: First guy: "Yeah, well he's been up here twice!" Other guy: "He's been to our home court once and watched our team twice on the road. Conclusion: our junior point guard is better than your junior point guard."

I watched Amy Ruley bring teams into Frost Arena and beat a Jackrabbit team that probably was a little better. So, I never count out Ruley's teams. The Bison will arrive at Frost Arena Friday afternoon, much more ready to plan than the matchup in Fargo. BUT, it'll be a bona fide upset if they win...and that's no slam on the Bison women. The Jacks are just an exceptional team right now.

I hope its a record-setting crowd with a lot of Green and Gold in the stands, too!

Jacks 76, Bison 62

TheDoctor
02-22-2007, 05:58 AM
People are starting to measure how good their high school players are by how many times AJ has been present to watch. *I heard two guys discussing as follows: *First guy: *"Yeah, well he's been up here twice!" *Other guy: *"He's been to our home court once and watched our team twice on the road. *Conclusion: our junior point guard is better than your junior point guard."

I watched Amy Ruley bring teams into Frost Arena and beat a Jackrabbit team that probably was a little better. *So, I never count out Ruley's teams. *The Bison will arrive at Frost Arena Friday afternoon, much more ready to plan than the matchup in Fargo. *BUT, it'll be a bona fide upset if they win...and that's no slam on the Bison women. *The Jacks are just an exceptional team right now.

I hope its a record-setting crowd with a lot of Green and Gold in the stands, too!

Jacks 76, Bison 62

That might be optimistic, but I'll go with it. ;) Good luck Ladies!